Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mikeyyyy

Guys I'm scared :(

So as a acne-ridden 16 year old, I've been going to the derm for like 3 years, and EVERYTHING he gave me did not work, it just kept it the same way. Minocycline, Tetracyclin, Cephalexin, Duac topical, T-gel, I've just had it. As to my acne, it has always moderate, just really red and noticable. It's kind of the "we-tried-everything-and-nothings-working-so-lets-kill-this-sucka" stage. He best described it as "trickling water on a fire, its not doing much because the fires constantly there".

So he finally mentions accutane today and I jumped right on it. I currently have the iPledge book right infront of me and I'm being extremely hesitant.

At first, I was so happy that I finally got the "miracle pill" for acne. Something that will kill it and really work for once! But now as I'm reading what people who are currently on it are saying, I'm not so sure now. Apparently people are saying there IB's have been horrendous for months and that it gets the worse they've ever had and they don't want to leave the house. I obviously understand that that doesn't happen to absolutely to everyone, but )ah, I don't know if I want to go through that. Obviously as acne.org is, people post the horrors of accutane, and other perscriptions, and I never hear (or see preferably) any GOOD news and progress.

I don't think my acne on my face is that bad, it's just the acne on my back. I hate not being able to go with my friends to the beach or just take my shirt off and feel like nobodys staring at my acne. I just want to live as a normal teenager should.

Inspirations? Feed my fire? I'd really love to see any response, even if negative. I don't think I'll sign this thing tonight.

Don't be scared the the IB. I never had one and it just keeps getting better from now.

No more oil on my face/dry hair. The only side effects right now is dry lips and a little back pain which is manageable.

I wish I started accutane 2-3 years ago

It's up to you

You should highly consider going on accutane. Im in the same situation you are in.

Ive been on accutane for almost 2 months now, and did have to deal with the IB

The IB has been diminshing over the past week, and im hoping its the end of it, keeping my fingers crossed. The IB wasnt that bad in my case, it lasted just under a month. The only difference is I got quit a bit of cysts which I never got prior to accutane. But, once again, you should highly consider it!!

Ahhh thanks guys, given me some faith really.

Also, if anyone is taking the blood tests, what exactly do they check for? And is marijuana a problem? :X I don't smoke but sometimes the people I'm with do and would that do anything? :X

I happen to smoke chronic sometimes, and no your safe.

They can only find it through your blood tests if they are specifically looking for it, not through the traditional ones you will be taking (if you go on accutane)

Here's how I looked at it: my acne had literally gotten to the point where it was so bad, an IB was barely noticeable. Every time I experienced a bad side effect, I remembered how my face looked when I started accutane, and how I felt about the way it looked. The side effects were just not important to me in light of that.

My point is, IF your acne is severe enough, accutane is worth it. If your acne is mild/moderate, or there is a chance you may grow out of it, then you have a harder decision to make.

So as a acne-ridden 16 year old, I've been going to the derm for like 3 years, and EVERYTHING he gave me did not work, it just kept it the same way. Minocycline, Tetracyclin, Cephalexin, Duac topical, T-gel, I've just had it. As to my acne, it has always moderate, just really red and noticable. It's kind of the "we-tried-everything-and-nothings-working-so-lets-kill-this-sucka" stage. He best described it as "trickling water on a fire, its not doing much because the fires constantly there".

So he finally mentions accutane today and I jumped right on it. I currently have the iPledge book right infront of me and I'm being extremely hesitant.

At first, I was so happy that I finally got the "miracle pill" for acne. Something that will kill it and really work for once! But now as I'm reading what people who are currently on it are saying, I'm not so sure now. Apparently people are saying there IB's have been horrendous for months and that it gets the worse they've ever had and they don't want to leave the house. I obviously understand that that doesn't happen to absolutely to everyone, but )ah, I don't know if I want to go through that. Obviously as acne.org is, people post the horrors of accutane, and other perscriptions, and I never hear (or see preferably) any GOOD news and progress.

I don't think my acne on my face is that bad, it's just the acne on my back. I hate not being able to go with my friends to the beach or just take my shirt off and feel like nobodys staring at my acne. I just want to live as a normal teenager should.

Inspirations? Feed my fire? I'd really love to see any response, even if negative. I don't think I'll sign this thing tonight.

I, too am an acne ridden 16 year old on the pill. Let me tell you, it is HORRIBLE for me!!! My depression becomes nearly uncontrollable, and I've written many suicide notes in the past months. I am on my last month starting tomorrow, but my skin is still extremely dry/flaky. Here's what I'm trying to say. If you're depressed or bipolar stay the hell away!!! If you're normal then I say give it a go, but be prepared for some of the worst months of your life. After it's over, though, I'm guessing they become the best months of your life. BE CAREFUL, PLEASE!!!!!

Ben

BTW my bacne which consisted of HUGE cysts is completely clear now!!! A sign of hope for you.

Here's how I looked at it: my acne had literally gotten to the point where it was so bad, an IB was barely noticeable. Every time I experienced a bad side effect, I remembered how my face looked when I started accutane, and how I felt about the way it looked. The side effects were just not important to me in light of that.

My point is, IF your acne is severe enough, accutane is worth it. If your acne is mild/moderate, or there is a chance you may grow out of it, then you have a harder decision to make.

I wouldn't necessarily possess the notion "I should wait it out and see because my acne is mild/moderate" because this is exactly what I did and I never grew out of it, AND I finally just went on accutane, something I should have done a couple years back....

I wouldn't necessarily possess the notion "I should wait it out and see because my acne is mild/moderate" because this is exactly what I did and I never grew out of it, AND I finally just went on accutane, something I should have done a couple years back....

I totally felt that way at the beginning of my course, wishing I had started earlier. But when you consider the bad side effects that can happen, I think it was right to try literally everything else first. And this way I know that if I have permanent bad side effects, I won't sit around beating myself up like, "Oh, my acne wasn't even really THAT bad."

Just wanted to explain my reasoning there. :)

Im a 16 year old as well and I just want to say DO IT! I was extremely hesitant on taking the pill and I got to the point where I woke up one morning and said fuck it im not living my life like this anymore, not being able to stare at people when there talking to you, not being able to go to partys, having no self confidence, rubbing my face and feeling alligator skin, always hiding and avoiding someone if they see you because you dont want to be seen.

I start my third month on the pill tomorrow and I actually now look forward to taking the pill every night to where I dreaded even starting on the medicine.

You also have to realize many people that post here are people that tried Accutane and it didnt work for them so there here to warn other people aswell as scare them away from the medicine. Most of the people that have done Accutane and successfully completed there course are long gone (except few).

I was doing the same thing you were, reading post by post to see results and judging by the side effects on wether I should take it or not. Don't judge by other people, do what your gut tells you. I used to be terrified of needles before starting Accutane , I put my fear behind me and now I get a blood test every month and it doesnt bother me one bit. Everyone reacts diff. to the medicine, no ones the same.

Edited by JB772

No, please don't do it. With acne at 16, there is no reason to think it isn't just totally normal, run-of-the-mill acne based on hormonal changes that will just go away. I would really recommend looking into finding a good, highly trained (in a lot of areas) holistic health practitioner who can help you look at your diet and levels of vitamins and minerals in your body and all kinds of things to help you clear your skin up from the inside. That would basically be the opposite of accutane; you would probably end up getting your body less toxic instead of more. My sister did accutane and it definitely worked but now, more than ten years later, she has chronically dry skin, thinner hair than before she did it, and occasional breakouts anyway. Plus we really don't know all the potential internal effects of it. That's my two cents. Best to you!!! I'm rooting for you. I'm starting a blog about my experiences and discoveries in the world of a natural, body-oriented approach to acne curing and I hope you check it out in the coming weeks because maybe some of what I have discovered could apply to you too and help your skin.

I wish I had done it at 16. but better now than 10 years from now.

I find that knowing what to expect will make the accutane experience better for you. As soon as I started feeling bummed out and had these crazy nightmares, i would take a second to pause, and think "it's just the drug, get over it". same with being tired all the time - i made plans that fir six months, im going to take it easy while i take care of the acne.

As for the other side effects, i think about how i can't have it all. i can't have clear skin and thick hair, so i'm making a trade.

so as long as you prepare yourself, and realise that you have the strength to endure, i would recommend accutane. but as soon as it becomes overwhelming, have the power to stop.

good luck!

I'm 16 as well, and I know how horrible It feels to have acne. I've been on accutane for about a month now and I fully suggest you do it. My breakouts have been a lot worse but you just have to keep telling yourself that these months as crappy as your face looks..it's gunna be the last months you have with acne (assuming accutane works). So I say go for it. the negative side effects i've had is a really dry face and lips, and some lower back pain, also I've noticed I've been moodier and a little bit more reserved. On the plus side my hair which used to be EXTREMELY oily (i couldnt go a day without washing it) is dry!!!! I always read in magazines how you should wash your hair every couple of days...and now i can follow it WITH NO OIL! Oh, and if you read about all the bad things such as depression and suicidal thoughts...the way i see it is that before accutane my acne was so bad that i was having those feelings. so i say go for it!

good luck and i hope you get good results! plus its always nice to have a sight like this where you can talk to people that can relate with what your going through and help!