Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Panic!!

Big Tip On Clearing Your Acne!!!

Hey Guys,

I posted here last week for some help on my sudden acne over the past 3-4 months after being 95% clear for the past several years. I was really getting frustrated and scratching my head as to WTF caused these painful red, cystic like pimples at 29!!!!

I was told so many different things from my derm: its your moisturizer, its your cleanser, its your pillow case etc etc.

Then I started to analyze my daily diet. I'm a health freak so I eat very clean and healthy. No soda, no candy, almost a gallon of water a day, plenty of fruits and veggies. So what could it be???

PROTEIN POWDER! I was having 3 protein shakes along with 2-3 solid meals a day. The artifical flavoring in my protein powder (Double Chocolate BTW) was causing me to break out. Not because it was bad for me, but it was a Food Allergy!!! I'm allergic to Cocoa Powder. And it totally makes sense now because I don't eat chocolate and I don't drink milk.

I literally switched it out to a plain vanilla and my acne has disappeared like that!

Sorry I know that was long, but I read so many sad stories on this board and people running out to buy this product and that product etc etc, when it reality the cause of your acne is something more simple.

Point of this post: Take the time to analyze your diet and find out if you have a food allergy. Everyone is different and there are plenty of foods that disagree with people's systems. I hope this helps someone out there and I want to wish you the best of luck on your fight to be clear.

Looking forward to going out with my friends again and enjoying life!!!

PANIC

NO KIDDING! IM allergic to crabs.. thats what i ate before i got sick and all of this commotion broke lose! stupid sushi it was good though :)

Hey Guys,

I posted here last week for some help on my sudden acne over the past 3-4 months after being 95% clear for the past several years. I was really getting frustrated and scratching my head as to WTF caused these painful red, cystic like pimples at 29!!!!

I was told so many different things from my derm: its your moisturizer, its your cleanser, its your pillow case etc etc.

Then I started to analyze my daily diet. I'm a health freak so I eat very clean and healthy. No soda, no candy, almost a gallon of water a day, plenty of fruits and veggies. So what could it be???

PROTEIN POWDER! I was having 3 protein shakes along with 2-3 solid meals a day. The artifical flavoring in my protein powder (Double Chocolate BTW) was causing me to break out. Not because it was bad for me, but it was a Food Allergy!!! I'm allergic to Cocoa Powder. And it totally makes sense now because I don't eat chocolate and I don't drink milk.

I literally switched it out to a plain vanilla and my acne has disappeared like that!

Sorry I know that was long, but I read so many sad stories on this board and people running out to buy this product and that product etc etc, when it reality the cause of your acne is something more simple.

Point of this post: Take the time to analyze your diet and find out if you have a food allergy. Everyone is different and there are plenty of foods that disagree with people's systems. I hope this helps someone out there and I want to wish you the best of luck on your fight to be clear.

Looking forward to going out with my friends again and enjoying life!!!

PANIC

well thannks for sharing this people should really think about this it helps alot ...!

LOL THIS SHOULD BE PERMANENT INFORMATION ON ACNE.ORG its soo true...i say BULLSHIT TO THOSE people who say there is no relationship between diet and acne....i used to believe that but i have noticed finally that if i EAT CHOCHOLATE i will 100% i will break out the next day even like a week ago i wanted to see now that i am on Dan's Regimen which i was clear if i would break out eating chocholate...and sure enough the next day after i ate some snickers 2 pimples!! aghhh since then i have decided no more CHOCOLATE or alchohol too because i notice this two things i guess what im allergic to!

Oh my gosh!

I never eat chocolate because I don't like it, but recently I ate four Clif protein bars that I had gotten to supplement my protein intake. I ate them in a matter of two days and I just realized that might have caused the pimple on my upper lip and under my jawline....

It was so much chocolate at once for someone who doesn't eat it and was completely clear before eating them!

I have read a lot of posts, here and on training forums, about the link between supplements and acne. For you, clearly the chocolate was the problem. But those powders contain a lot of ingredients that may potentially cause irritation in different people. I stopped drinking muscle milk (chocolate or chocolate malt flavors are my fav, BTW). I have had it many times in the past and never noticed a link, but then I did drink more of it when I kicked up my running miles per week... and that's when my skin took a noticeable turn for the worse. Could be other factors I'm dealing with as well, like stress, or having worked nights for 4 solid months, or hormones... but it might be as simple as those delicious shakes.

well thannks for sharing this people should really think about this it helps alot ...!

LOL THIS SHOULD BE PERMANENT INFORMATION ON ACNE.ORG its soo true...i say BULLSHIT TO THOSE people who say there is no relationship between diet and acne....i used to believe that but i have noticed finally that if i EAT CHOCHOLATE i will 100% i will break out the next day even like a week ago i wanted to see now that i am on Dan's Regimen which i was clear if i would break out eating chocholate...and sure enough the next day after i ate some snickers 2 pimples!! aghhh since then i have decided no more CHOCOLATE or alchohol too because i notice this two things i guess what im allergic to!

No problem!!! I was fuvkin' freakin' out!!! At this risk of sounding ignorant to those in my age range who are suffering form acne, I'm 29, and I felt like acne was bearing its ugly head again like a Friday The 13th movie, the bastards just don't die!! LOL

I just started Dan's Regimen as well. I was using so many different products since I was freakin' out, so I wanted to settle on a routine now that I have my skin under control.

Big tip on the alcohol: If you stick to clear liquior (I know it sucks, take a lot of the good stuff away) you won't break out. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Cpt. Morgan, but noticed I tend to break out when I drink it, plus its got a @ss load of sugar. So as much as it sucks, I've switched to Grey Goose and Club Soda when I have a drink and no skin problems.

Sunny

Oh my gosh!

I never eat chocolate because I don't like it, but recently I ate four Clif protein bars that I had gotten to supplement my protein intake. I ate them in a matter of two days and I just realized that might have caused the pimple on my upper lip and under my jawline....

It was so much chocolate at once for someone who doesn't eat it and was completely clear before eating them!

Cliff Bars are the worst!!! Not only the chocolate, but the high high sugar and fat content are a break out waiting to happen. My roommate was suddenly breaking out and he figured out it was from the Cliff Bars he started eating. He ditched them and not a pimple since. Its sad, but the info on the 'net is so out-dated in many cases regarding acne. Furthermore, they make generalizations based on a few cases as the norm, when each individual is very VERY different.

Sunny

I have read a lot of posts, here and on training forums, about the link between supplements and acne. For you, clearly the chocolate was the problem. But those powders contain a lot of ingredients that may potentially cause irritation in different people. I stopped drinking muscle milk (chocolate or chocolate malt flavors are my fav, BTW). I have had it many times in the past and never noticed a link, but then I did drink more of it when I kicked up my running miles per week... and that's when my skin took a noticeable turn for the worse. Could be other factors I'm dealing with as well, like stress, or having worked nights for 4 solid months, or hormones... but it might be as simple as those delicious shakes.

I agree there are a lot of ingredients. But Muscle Milk in particular is a common cause of skin problems in many people, acne prone or not. Reason being, they use Milk Protein Isolate as one of the main sources of protein in the drink. Now your talking about the dairy allegries that many people didn't realize was an issue with the product. Interestingly enough, I use Cytogainer now, from the same makers of Muscle Milk, but there is only Whey Protein Isolate in it and no issues at all.

When I was breaking out initially I was dealing with a high level of stress as well, and don't believe it caused the break-outs, but made them worse.

Another thing that really helps me is the Steam Room. I've read on this site that they don't recommend steam rooms for acne prone skin, but again I couldn't disagree more in several cases I've seen. I've helped tons of my friends clear up their skin by using the steam room.

Sunny

I don't want to take a gainer, however, so cytogainer is not an option. I'm rather petite (5'4", 120 lbs) and not looking to appear to be a weight lifter - though technically I AM. haha yea, makes no sense, I know! I am definitely going to check out the options, although I am a bit hesitant to try anything at this point for fear of only aggravating my skin further. Well, anyway, I will go read labels today, see if anything strikes me as a good investment! I don't like to eat "real" food after a workout, I'm just not hungry. It makes me feel like I'm forcing myself to eat, whereas a shake goes down easily.

Oh yea - Captain Morgan makes Silver (clear version) of it's rum, tastes better than the regular, typically a slight increase in price but not much. Did that also bother your skin? I usually don't drink at all because I don't like it interfering with my training schedule, but once in a blue moon I just need that warm relaxing feeling of alcohol coursing through my veins.

I don't want to take a gainer, however, so cytogainer is not an option. I'm rather petite (5'4", 120 lbs) and not looking to appear to be a weight lifter - though technically I AM. haha yea, makes no sense, I know! I am definitely going to check out the options, although I am a bit hesitant to try anything at this point for fear of only aggravating my skin further. Well, anyway, I will go read labels today, see if anything strikes me as a good investment! I don't like to eat "real" food after a workout, I'm just not hungry. It makes me feel like I'm forcing myself to eat, whereas a shake goes down easily.

haha... I wasn't actually recommending Cytogainer to you, but now that I think about it. One serving is 4 scoops. Totals 50g of protein and 75g of carbs. I usually have it after my workout. If you wanted, you could cut the serving size in half, especially since your petite and fit. That would be a perfect post workout drink 25-30g of protein and 30g of fast and slow digesting carbs.

Oh yea - Captain Morgan makes Silver (clear version) of it's rum, tastes better than the regular, typically a slight increase in price but not much. Did that also bother your skin? I usually don't drink at all because I don't like it interfering with my training schedule, but once in a blue moon I just need that warm relaxing feeling of alcohol coursing through my veins.

Oh yeah, i forgot about the silver. Hmmm, might have to grab a bottle for New Years!! haha It doesn't bother my skin much (regular Cpt that is), although I do get a couple small breakouts if I drink a lot of it the next morning. But the main reason I avoid dark liquior is for diet reasons... waaaaaaaaaaay too much sugar.

I know it doesn't sound like it, but I'm not a heavy drinker either. Haven't drank in over a month actually. But I usually have a couple a drinks once a week, when I go out on the weekends. Far cry from the college frat days.... LOL

So I guess its mainly the sugar (free radical) that would cause the break out and since clear liquior is usually very low in sugar it makes sense. Beer is the worst for me (gluten and wheat based), I ALWAYS break out after beer. So I guess it ws destiny for me to be chugging hard liquior and acting retarded... LOL

Sunny

Well, I feel ya. My ancestors are Irish on one side, German on the other. I was a born drunk, technically. It took some serious will power to break the cycle (esp. considering military folks just tend to drink a LOT & nobody sees a problem with it). Now I'm getting the snide comments at work like "god you're a health nut" and "i bet you count calories!" *sigh* nope. I just make smarter choices than they do, I don't order pizza for lunch or send someone through the BK drive thru, etc. I'm trying this soy protein I picked up today. It definitely doesn't taste as yummy as chocolate muscle milk though. I think it'll be an acquired taste... like black coffee instead of lattes.

I used to love me some Captain Morgan - until I realized it made me gain like 15 lbs a couple of years ago. It was a painful breakup, but the Captain had to go. I avoid most beer unless I'm home on leave, then I overdo it with my dad - but that's only once a year. I then spend the next month burning off the Southern cooking and beer calories. Since I'm moving overseas to an alcohol soaked location, I am going to have to maintain serious willpower not to fall into that old habit of drinking every weekend!