Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Denise2

Great Acne Treatment; the Best, actually

Ok thanks venam. Is it easy to take? Taste ect..

It is really similar to powder milk. I know most ppl in US have not eaten milk in this form, but just in case (I'm Cuban, so I have). I mix it with water sometimes (like 1/4 of a cup is my preference), or just pour the powder into my mouth and drink water afterward.

First my question: Whats best if i eat at 8:00 13:00 and 17:00 to take it at 7:00 and 16:30 or 7:00 and 19:00 (12h gap) or 7:00 and 22:00 (just before and just after sleep)

How long does it keep for? Seeing as people are going through these pretty quickly, I am thinking about buying a couple of the 21oz containers as I am ordering for the US.

21oz=600g

if you take 6g 100days if you take 12g 50days etc you can calculate it yourself.

Sorry, I meant how are you dividing it up throughout the day?

Aren't you supposed to be taking more than 3g a day?

I said i was taking 2x3g so 6g. Im thinking of upping it to 10g.

I wonder if it's bad to take garlic and colostrum. I've heard that it destroys all the good stuff as well?

yes and no. Garlic will kill non-human strains of probiotics (possibly colostrum) but will NOT kill any good bacteria already existing in your gut.

http://www.probioticsmarket.com/does-garlic-kill-probiotics/

So, if you're trying to kill candida with an anti-fungal like garlic, it's best to kill it off first, then add the probiotic.

I think I have either candida or leaky gut so I want to treat both of them. I take garlic too and a bunch of other strong stuff to kill the bacterial, I also take colostrum. Do you think the colostrum survives if I take it 4 hours after taking garlic. Or before.

First my question: Whats best if i eat at 8:00 13:00 and 17:00 to take it at 7:00 and 16:30 or 7:00 and 19:00 (12h gap) or 7:00 and 22:00 (just before and just after sleep)

I dont really think it will make a huge difference but go for the 7:00 and 19:00 (12 hour gap). That way it will be easier to remember, before first meal and after last meal. But yer just remember minimum of 30 mins b4 food and 2 hours after.

Is the recommended dose for Symbiotics Colostrum 1g twice daily?

My Colostrum from myprotein.co.uk says 5-10g once or twice daily. I just started taking about 9g twice daily.

I'm a bit confused about this and don't want to needlessly take too much. The myprotein stuff is only 20% igG so this might make a difference and also it is aimed at the sports market so doses might be higher for this reason.

I dont really think it will make a huge difference but go for the 7:00 and 19:00 (12 hour gap). That way it will be easier to remember, before first meal and after last meal. But yer just remember minimum of 30 mins b4 food and 2 hours after.

I do one hour before and one hour after.

1 hour before is fine but 1 hour after is not. Have you been doing this since you started as its best to take it on an empty stomach without food.

"An empty stomach is necessary to wash the Colostrum through the stomach into the intestine, where it primarily targets the immune system and contributes to the body's healing and growth factors."

http://www.tncolostrum.com/faq.asp

Maybe try changing your dosage timing Jay and see if this helps with your progress.

Edited by AussieSmile

1 hour before is fine but 1 hour after is not. Have you been doing this since you started as its best to take it on an empty stomach without food.

"An empty stomach is necessary to wash the Colostrum through the stomach into the intestine, where it primarily targets the immune system and contributes to the body's healing and growth factors."

http://www.tncolostrum.com/faq.asp

Maybe try changing your dosage timing Jay and see if this helps with your progress.

Hmmm ya ive been doing that since i started and thought 1 hour would be an empty stomach, at least it felt that way :/ I will do the 2 hours now, thx for the help.

Anyone find it difficult taking this 6 times a day being as you have to take it on an empty stomach?

The people undergoing this treatment are only taking it two times a day (before breakfast and after dinner) so I think it'll make life alot more easier if you only take it twice a day!

I've been taking like 10grams a day (4 teaspoons/day) for the last month.

Goodlife, it tastes like baby milk formula so it's not that bad. You get used to it. :)

Alot of posts in the last 24 hours ... Good luck guys.

After getting the ok from my naturopath i've just ordered my 21oz Symbiotics colostrum off iherb so hoepfully it'll be here in the next 5 days. I'm well excited about this and i'm (maybe ignorantly) hoping not to have huge toxin die-off *knocks on wood*. Even though for alot of my life i ate worse than the regular teenage diet, the last 5 or so months i've been very good and it's easier than i thought it would be (not easy, easier). Plus for about a month i've been on a supplement plan which is supposed to prepare my body for a detox.

I've been following this thread since page 2 so i don't think i have any questions at the moment but give it time :)

After getting the ok from my naturopath i've just ordered my 21oz Symbiotics colostrum off iherb so hoepfully it'll be here in the next 5 days. I'm well excited about this and i'm (maybe ignorantly) hoping not to have huge toxin die-off *knocks on wood*. Even though for alot of my life i ate worse than the regular teenage diet, the last 5 or so months i've been very good and it's easier than i thought it would be (not easy, easier). Plus for about a month i've been on a supplement plan which is supposed to prepare my body for a detox.

I've been following this thread since page 2 so i don't think i have any questions at the moment but give it time :)

Hey, before & after photos would be really cool :)

tastes and smells weird. I cant describe it. No gagreflex tough.

The powder is really sticking together. Doesnt dissolve good in water. Also i burb it up a little bit.

Btw whats the seal they are talking about. Just the plastic around the top?

Taking 7-8g now. I messured more precicly.

I noticed one thing. My small cold i had for a week now went away almost totaly. In just one day. It could be coincidence though.

We should get Denise to post in the original post that readers should not expect results for a while! Any lurkers intending to try Colostrum, wait it out a while and we'll have results soon! Give us a couple of months.

Jay326, There are too many factors at play but I may have experienced/be experiencing the toxing die off. Not much has changed since I've started taking it.

Ordered my colostrum, hopefully will get it by the start of next week.

So 3 grams in the morning 30 mins before eating and 3 grams on the evening 2 hours after eating?

Sound about right?

Even I don't see great results in my acne, it should help with my overall health.

We should get Denise to post in the original post that readers should not expect results for a while! Any lurkers intending to try Colostrum, wait it out a while and we'll have results soon! Give us a couple of months.

Jay326, There are too many factors at play but I may have experienced/be experiencing the toxing die off. Not much has changed since I've started taking it.

Hey guys.....don't take this wrong BUT I think I've made it clear over and over and over and over and over and over that this isn't a miracle cure. I said that on page 2 or 3.

What I have noticed here (and it's always been this way), is that people simply are too lazy to read for themselves. I have people sending me pm's describing their acne and asking what they should do.

People LITERALLY want me to micro-manage their lives and make decisions for them because they don't want to take 15 minutes to read the information.

If people would simply read the posted threads at the top of the board, they'd understand what candida is, what leaky gut is, how diet effects acne if you have these conditions, etc......

If people are too lazy to take the time to read more than one post, that's their problem. I hate to sound really impatient, but this is ridiculous.

I posted this thread with the understanding that people ALREADY KNEW what candida and leaky gut are. There are posted threads on these topics right here on the Holistic Board. If people read my first post and don't have the common sense to read up on candida or leaky gut, then that is their problem.

I apologize in advance for sounding snarky. :wacko:

Edited by Denise2

Yeah I never got why people are taking this while NOT following an anti candida diet simultaneously. You need to give this some time to work otherwise its pretty much negating the use of colostrum when youre eating candida feeding foods....

Yeah I never got why people are taking this while NOT following an anti candida diet simultaneously. You need to give this some time to work otherwise its pretty much negating the use of colostrum when youre eating candida feeding foods....

Right. While colostrum is very effective for candida, if you're not doing ANYTHING else, it would probably take a whole lot longer to deal with the candida if you havn't treated the candida in the past. I never inferred that people would get clear in 2 weeks. If people read my first post, see that my son ate restrictively for YEARS and that we spent bigtime $$$$$ trying to treat him, why would they think they would get clear in a few weeks?

I just don't even know what to say...... :think:

The powder is really sticking together. Doesnt dissolve good in water. Also i burb it up a little bit.

Try this.

Put your Colostrum in your glass/cup. Only put in a little bit of water and mix it all in to a paste. You should be able to mix it in to quite a smooth paste. Then dilute it down from there. It works MUCH better with my Colostrum and is easy to drink.

I think im defiently going to end up ordering some now. My face is getting so itchy, dry and flaky, i really hope that it can help with this.

I just got my colostrum today! I feel more excited than I did on Christmas! I'll be starting tomorrow and posting the results on the colostrum results thread.

For everyones benefit im going to copy and paste some extremely useful information all about LGS so for those who dont know all about it can. This will hopefully fill in the gaps and questions people have as to why colostrum may work and why you may have LGS which plays a heavy influence on acne. Im sorry for everyone who has read this but i found it very useful and any newcomers can understand what colostrum is treating.

This was initially posted by Serkios in the pinned diet thread. Ok here goes.

quote//:

*Warning, this is a long post with lots of quoted material*

*Also, I'm by no means an expert I'm simply relaying information from a published source. Please take this information with a grain of salt!*

Here's a preview of the book I reference and quote throughout this post: http://books.google.com/books?id=rGs7cj5UY...ky+gut+syndrome

What is Leaky Gut Syndrome?

Its basically a condition where the mucus layer of your stomach (which functions as a barrier to keep bad molecules out) is weakened and thinned, which allows bacteria and fungi to pass directly into the bloodstream and into the body. The liver is then charged with clearing out these foreign bodies, but can get overwhelmed with too much work load. When that happen the liver stores this bacteria, fungi, etc into fat cells so it can get to them later. The liver often never catches up and the body is left to expel the waste in another manner, i.e. acne.

Some Common Clinical Conditions Associated with Leaky Gut

Acne

Aging

AIDS

Alcoholism

Allergic Disorders

Arthritis

Asthma

Autism

Celiac disease

Childhood Hyperactivity

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Crohn's disease

Cystic Fibrosis

Eczema

Food alllergies or sensitivities

Malabsorption

Malnutrition

Psoriasis

...more are listed in the book but I'm trying to not write 30 pages

The 7 stages of the "inflamed" gut.

1.When the gut is inflamed, it does not absorb nutrients and foods properly and so fatigue and bloating can occur.

2.When large food particles are absorbed there is the creation of food allergies and new symptoms.

3.When the gut is inflamed the carrier proteins are damaged so nutrient deficiencies can occur.

4.Likewise when the detoxification pathways that line the gut are compromised, chemical sensitivity can arise. Furthermore the leakage of toxins overburdens the liver so that the body is less able to handle everyday chemicals.

5.When the gut lining is inflamed the protective coating of lgA (immunoglobulin A) is adversely affected and the body is not able to ward off protozoa, bacteria, viruses and yeasts.

6.When the intestinal lining is inflamed, bacteria and yeasts are able to trans-locate. This means that they are able to pass from the gut lumen or cavity, into the bloodstream and set up infection anywhere else in the body.

7.The worst symptom is the formation of antibodies. Sometimes these leak across and look similar to antigens on our own tissues. Consequently, when an antibody is made to attack it, it also attacks our tissue. This is probably how autoimmune disease start.

What causes Leaky Gut?

Pain Medications

Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) like apsin, ibuprofen, and indomethacin are a common cause of leaky gut syndrom. NSAIDs work by blocking prostalglandins, which are tiny messengers that circulate throughout the body. Some prostaglandins cause healing and repair; others pain and inflammation. However, NSAIDs drugs block all prostaglandins. Since the digestive tract repairs and replaces itself every three to five days, prolonged use of NSAIDs block its repairs, which can lead to leaky gut.

Dysbiosis

Basically a fancy term for saying there isn't a proper balance of good bacteria (flora) and bad bacteria (pathogens) in your digestive tract. Quoted from the book:

Normally, we have hundreds of types of bacteria living inside our digestive tract. In fact, we have more bacteria living inside our digestive tract than cells in our body. Many of these are helpful (flora), some are neutral (commensal) and others are harmful (pathogenic).

The unbalanced microbes often form chemicals that are poisonous to the cells around them and to the person they live in. A wide variety of substances are product, including amines, ammonia, hydrogen sulfide, indoles, phenols and secondary bile acids. These substances may hurt the intestinal lining directly by damaging the brush borders and become absorbed into the bloodstream, causing system-wide effects.

The most common cause of dysbiosis is use of prescription and over-the-counter medications. Antibiotics, for instance, change the balance of intestinal microbes. They simultaneously kill both harmful and helpful bacteria throughout our digestive system, mouth, vagina, and skin, leaving the territory to bacteria, parasites, viruses and fungi that are unaffected by the antibiotic.

Published research has listed dysbiosis as a contributing cause in rheumatoid arthritis, autoimmune illness, B12 deficiency, chronic fatigue, cystic acne, the early stages of colon and breast cancer, exzema, food allergy/sensitivity, inflammatory bowel disease, irritable bowl syndrome and steatorrhea.

Antibiotics

As mentioned above, antibiotics change the balance of intestinal microbes.

Antibiotics simultaneously kill both harmful and helpful bacteria, leaving the territory open to resistant bacteria, parasites, viruses and fungi. In a healthy gut these are kept in check by healthy microbes. When left unchecked, they colonize the area, contributing to inflammation, irritation and disease. Candida, a fungus, is the most common microbe to flourish in this new environment.

Chronic Stress

I think I'm a victim of this as well...

Prolonged stress changes the immune's system ability to respond quickly and affects our ability to heal. Our body reacts to these stressors by producing less secretory IgA and DHEA (an anti-aging, antistress adrenal hormone), slowing down digestion and peristalsis, reducing blood flow to digestive organs and producing toxic metabolites

Poor Food Choices

Poor food choices contribute to an imbalance of intestinal flora and pH. An intestinal tract that is too alkaline promotes dysbiosis. Low-fiber diets cause an increase in transit time, allowing toxic digestive byproducts to concentrate and irritate the gut mucosa.

Food and Environmental Sensitivities

I find this part really interesting in explaining how diets can be so different for many people, and why it would cause a spark in acne:

True food allergies affect only a small percentage of the population, but food sensitivities are common.

Food sensitivities, also called delayed hypersensitivity reactions, cause symptoms which are delayed, taking several hours to several days to appear.

Food sensitivities cause a wide number of symptoms typical of a leaky gut. Food particles enter the bloodstream through damaged mucosal membranes. The body recognizes them as foreign substances (antigens) and triggers an immune reaction. The liver also recognizes these antigens as toxins and begins breaking them down. Eating foods to which we are sensitive increases our intestinal permeability, which, in turn, increases our propensity to develop more food sensitivities.

Almost any food can cause a reaction, although the most common are wheat, beef, dairy products, eggs, pork, and citrus fruits.

How to diagnose Leaky Gut

I'll be brief in this section since there's a lot to it in the book and I'll explain in more detail as questions come up.

Intestinal Permeability Testing

Also called the Lactulose and Mannitol Test, measures the ability of two sugar molecules - mannitol and lactulose - to permeate the intestinal lining. Available as a take home test from physicians, this test can tell you if you have dysbiosis, food allergies, parasites, and poor digestion.

Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis

Checks for bacteria levels, presence of Candida, determines how well you digest protiens, facts and carbohydrates. http://altmedicine.about.com/od/labtestind...ocus/a/CDSA.htm

Candida Testing

There are several online questionnaires that can help you determine if you have a Candida problem. There is also a "spit test" you can do at home. I tried it this morning and failed miserbly I suggest trying it because its easy and well, what do you have to lose! http://www.adhdrelief.com/CandidaTest.html

Parasitology Testing

As it sounds, will test you for parasites in your digestive tract. Usually involves a randomly taken stool sample several times.

Food and Environmental Sensitivity Testing

If you have food and/or chemical sensitivities you probably have a leaky gut. Testing can help you pinpoint exactly which foods bother you. There are two main ways of testing: an elimination/provocation diet and blood tests. Its advisable to do both.

What you can do to help your Leaky Gut

Restoring Digestive Function

Chew your food carefully

Deal with your food allergies

Treat Dysbiosis

Dysbiosis is treated according to the specific bacteria, fungi and/or parasites you have. The most effective natural substances are Berberine, capryllic acid, garlic, grapefruit seed extract, mathake tea, oil of oregano capsules, pau d'arco and tanalbit.

Candida fungi respond to wide variety of natural substances and dietary changes. Eat a low carbohydrate diet, and avoid sugar, alcohol, and vinegar. NOTE: When candida fungi are killed, they protein fragments and endotoxins released trigger an antibody response. This can initially produce a worsening of the person's symptoms and is common known as a dieoff, or a Herxheimer, reaction.

Replenish Intestinal Flora

Flora play an important role in our ability to fight infectious diseases, providing a front line in our immune defense. They manufacture antibiotics, acids and hydrogen peroxide which make the intestinal environment hostile to competing microbes. Some flora have anticancer and antitumor properties. Friendly flora also manufacture many vitamins, including the B-complex vitamins biotin, thiamin (B1), riboflavin (B2), niacin (B3), panthothenic acid (B5), pyridoxine (B6), cobalamin (B12) and folic acid, plus vitamin A and vitamin K. Lactic acid-secreting acidophilus and bifidus increase the bioavailability of minerals which require acid for absorption: calcium copper iron, magnesium, and manganese.

Dosage: Take a mixed probiotic supplement that contains at LEAST lactobacillus and bifidobacteria. Supplements that come as refrigerated as powders or capsules usually have the highest potency.

Use Fructooligosaccharide (FOS)

These sugar molecules rapidly increase the growth of food bifidobacteria and lactobacillus. Fructooligosaccharides are in many foods but are especially high in bananas and are also found in barley, fruit, garlic, Jerusalem artichoke, onions, soybeans, and wheat.

Take Digestive Enzymes

People with leaky gut syndrome usually have imcomplete digestion. Use of digestive enzymes, either plant-based or pancreatic, can significantly reduce the bloating and gas caused by the fermentation of partically digested food.

Dosage: 1 to 2 tablet enzymes with meals, 3 times daily or as needed.

Hydrochloric acid may help

Low HCl levels open us to the possibility of food poisoning, dysbiosis and bacterial overgrowth of the small intestine. Adequate HCl is critical for absorption of vitamin B12 from food. Low HCl symptoms are: belching, bloating, constipation, diarrhea, food allergies, heartburn or gas immediately after meals, indigestion, nausea after taking supplements and chronic parasites and candida infections.

Dosage: Begin with 10mg capsule of betaine HCl with each protein-containing meal. If you don't feel a warm sensation in your stomach, add an additional capsule the next meal. You can get up to a total of 50 mg. If you take too much and are uncomfortable, you can neutralize the acid with a glass of milk, a teaspoon of baking soda in water, or Alka-Seltzer Gold.

Reducing Oxidative Damage with Antioxidants

There's a lot on how natural antioxidants help the system so I'll be brief. The most powerful antioxidant substances are bioflavonoids, carotenoids, coenzyme Q10, glutathione, lipioc acid, selenium and vitamins C and E. All the antioxidants work together as a team to protect us. Each has a specific job which compliments the others so they must be used in balance.

Dosage: Take a multivitamin or antioxidant supplement with contains 200 mcg selenium, 400-800 IU vitamin E, 10,000 IU or more beta carotene and at least 500 mg vitamin C. It may also contain coenzyme Q10, cysteine, n-acetylcysteine, glutathione and lipoic acid, among other nutrients.

Detoxification: How to remove the toxins

There's a lot of info out there about detox programs, so I'll just list possible regimens:

Fruit and Vegetable Cleansing

Metabolic Cleansing

Vitamin C Flush (can do at home)

Reducing your exposure to toxic substances

Kind of an over arching topic of how to control environmental toxins you can't control, i.e. exhaust fumes, second-hand smoke, and air pollution.

Reduce your intake of medications, especially nonsteroidal pain medications and antibiotics

Use alcoholic beverages in moderation, if at all

Buy organic food when possible

Reduce or eliminate food additives

Use natural cleaning products and cosmetics

Rules for a Lifetime of Healthful Eating

Another broad topic of lifestyles changes that can help reduce leaky gut. These are offered in the book as good general practices to keep in mind when putting food in your body.

Eat local foods in season

Eat small, frequent meals to sustain energy levels

Eat when you are hungry, stop when you are satisfied

Avoid high-calorie, low-nutrient foods

Eat as many fruits and vegetables as possible

Drink clean water

Eat lots of fiber (I've had personal acne success with this)

Respect your biochemical uniqueness

Relax while you eat

Rebuilding Intestinal Mucosa with Supportive Nutrients

Most nutrients help restore the digestive integrity. A comprehensive program of nutritional supplements will help the cells regenerate, providing a ladder to climb out of the deep hole we're in. You'll find the following nutrients (most important listed first) offer special benefits when healing leaky gut. You can find them in products especially designed to enhance gut function. I won't get into the details of each one, but I'll but down the book's suggested doses. Some are listed without suggested doses, sorry.

Glutamine

Dosage: From 2 to 8g daily.

Gamma-oryzanol

Dosage: 100mg three times daily for three weeks.

Seacure

Dosage: Six capsules daily in divided doses, best before meals.

Vitamin A

Dosage: 8,000 IU. More is not necessarily better since vitamin A can be toxic in high doses.

Vitamin C

Dosage: From 1,000 to 10,000 mg daily, or the amount that is three-quarters of your bowel

tollerance (see Vitamin C flush)

Pantothenic Acid/Vitamin B5

No suggested dosage

Deglycyrrhized Licorice

Dosage: From 2 to 8g daily.

Folic Acid

Dosage: From 800 mcg daily.

Milk Immunoglobulin Concentrates

Schizandra

Zinc

Dosage: 15 to 50mg daily.

My Personal Leaky-Gut/Candida Regimen

So, armed with the knowledge I've tried to share here, I've reworked my daily routine and am starting up on a new regimen. I know lots of other folks on these boards have had success with one or several of the suggested treatments here, so hopefully this post can help connect some dots for people and have a better idea to what causes their acne.

For me, knowing its quite possible I have leaky gut and a nasty case of Candida (damn you anti-bios!), I'll be taking on a diet change as well as supplementation. Here's my current plan (subject to change)

Diet consisting of mostly meats and veggies. I'll probably still have a small amount of wheat, rice, and beans since diets like the Paleo diet are just so hard to stick with.

Probiotics: I use Gr8-Dophilus by Now. I'll be taking about 8 billion organisms twice a day

850mg Broccoli Concentrate, twice a day

50 mg Zinc w/ 2.5mg copper, once daily

1g Vitamin C and Bioflavonoids taken twice daily

Men's multivitamin as suggest in the "Reducting Oxidative Damage with Antioxidants" section.

Multi-Omega fatty acid supplement

High-fiber food and Metamucil fiber pills when eating low-fiber meals.

Edited by AussieSmile

Don't worry Denise, you didn't sound snarky. Thanks for creating this thread! Just sit back and relax!

Jambo, I find that mixing colostrum with less water works better as well, it turns into a paste/smoothy consistency and is easier to take.

Although constructive conversation is encouraged, let's cut down the fluff to see the results!