Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Warrior of Acne

Yes! I found a way to make water taste good without sugar!

Basically I have been drinking a ton of water lately and my skin looks amazing, but it is hard to drink a ton of plain water, huh? I always wondered why. I found this little white powder called stevia (you can find it at Trader Joe's or Whole Foods). It isn't a brand, it is actually a ground up dehydrated plant. Stevia has no calories, no carbs, no sugar, and does not spike your blood sugar. In my concoction, I drink some lemon juice with a bit of stevia and it is oh-so-good! Just a tip in case somebody has trouble drinking a lot of pure water like I do!

Edited by Warrior of Acne

Basically I have been drinking a ton of water lately and my skin looks amazing. but it is hard to drink a ton of plain water, huh? I always wondered why. I found this little white powder called stevia (you can find it at Trader Joe's or Whole Foods). It isn't a brand, it is actually a ground up dehydrated plant. Stevia has no calories, no carbs, no sugar, and does not spike your blood sugar. In my concoction, I drink some lemon juice with a bit of stevia and it is oh-so-good! Just a tip in case somebody has trouble drinking a lot of pure water like I do!

Thanks! How much does it run? How much do you get? How does it come packaged? In like... a sugar package type thing?

I go to Trader Joe's to get it and it is their brand (just labeled Stevia). I cannot remember the price but it is under 10 dollars and that gets you a LOT! You don't have to use anywhere what you have to with sugar. It is in a clear plastic cylinder.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_vnDOor7Jic0/SsyP...s400/Stevia.jpg

Also, they sell 2 versions. They are the same exact price but one is an "extract" and one is just Stevia Powder. The extract is a lot stronger but comes in a smaller bottle thingy.

By the way, stevia has no artificial crap in it so that is another plus!

what does it taste like?

I hope it helps me out a bit, [since wednesday] I have only been drinking water and milk here and there. and more water than usual...how many bottles a day is good? I've been trying to get in 3 bottles.

Stevia is 100% natural and perfectly fine. About 20 years ago, the FDA (I believe?) conducted a raid on the makers of Stevia, destroying all the products, burning their paperwork and shutting down the entire business permanently. The FDA then banned it, illegalizing its use in the US. It was rumored that the owners of Aspartame (a VERY powerful company in the US) felt threatened by stevia's business and had a hand in the raid. 20 years later, stevia was finally legalized again and Nestle uses it. Stevia has been used in Japan for about 50 years, I believe.

I believe it is 4-15 times sweeter than sugar, if I remember correctly? 1 drop goes a long, long way!

Edited by Dotty1

what does it taste like?

I hope it helps me out a bit, [since wednesday] I have only been drinking water and milk here and there. and more water than usual...how many bottles a day is good? I've been trying to get in 3 bottles.

It is sweet, just like sugar! I drink about 120-140 ounces of water a day! A LOT. 3 water bottles is about 60 ounces so try twice that :)

milk/dairy can cause acne.

I read that. it blows cuz i love milk and it keeps me full longer. :confused:

3 water bottles is about 60 ounces so try twice that :)

oh my goodness!! lol i'll try to work my way up slowly...ahah 3 is a big deal for me cuz, like for the reason you made this thread, water is boring!!

Edited by Geeking

Stevia is 100% natural and perfectly fine. About 20 years ago, the FDA (I believe?) conducted a raid on the makers of Stevia, destroying all the products, burning their paperwork and shutting down the entire business permanently. The FDA then banned it, illegalizing its use in the US. It was rumored that the owners of Aspartame (a VERY powerful company in the US) felt threatened by stevia's business and had a hand in the raid. 20 years later, stevia was finally legalized again and Nestle uses it. Stevia has been used in Japan for about 50 years, I believe.

I have read about that too. I also heard Coke and all of the soda companies (or ones that use corn syrup) are "helping out" the lobbyists who vote on the regulations for stevia. Funny world we live in, huh? Also, I also heard about Japan using stevia for a long time now and none of their studies show any negatives.

Yes, those lobbyists "help out" a lot of people. :dance:

Because the artificial sweetener Aspartame caused brain tumors in rats, the FDA refused to legalize it for human consumption. Donald Rumsfeld, the head of the aspartame company at the time and a close friend of the president, asked Ronald Reagan to freeze the FDA for 30 days so that he could personally legalize it. The FDA was not allowed to reverse the decision afterward.

Within the first year aspartame was legalized, the FDA had an 80% increase in filed health complaints around the US. Symptoms of headaches, heart murmurs, etc.

My sister has always had a heart murmur and when she stopped drinking the diet soft drinks, the murmur went away for the first time in her life. And my cavity problem finally disappeared when I stopped drinking carbonated beverages (cavities are caused by carbonic acid and phosphoric acid).

I highly recommend watching the videos of how aspartame was legalized in the US on YouTube.

Edited by Dotty1

Oh, the subject line made it sound like you'd been drinking water with sugar. Yuck. In fact water or iced tea with lemon is delicious, no sweetener needed. And you'd be doing yourself a favor if you stopped requiring everything you drink to be sweetened.

I thought water tasted good all by itself...

...but to each his own. ;)

I prefer distilled water - I cant drink city water. BLECH! All the chlorine, fluoride and other chemicals they add to clean the water and probably to keep the pipes clean too :dance:

Edited by Dotty1

Oh, the subject line made it sound like you'd been drinking water with sugar. Yuck. In fact water or iced tea with lemon is delicious, no sweetener needed. And you'd be doing yourself a favor if you stopped requiring everything you drink to be sweetened.

I still drink a ton of pure water don't get me wrong, but after drinking a hundred ounces of pure water it gets almost hard to swallow. I agree not everything needs to be sweetened and that water and sugar is disgusting, I was referring to the people who drink lemonade/sweet tea.

I thought water tasted good all by itself...

...but to each his own. ;)

I prefer distilled water - I cant drink city water. BLECH! All the chlorine, fluoride and other chemicals they add to clean the water and probably to keep the pipes clean too :dance:

I have a Brita thing I put on my faucet. Also, water is OK but lemonade tastes a looot better :)

That's how I have been getting my water intake too! I drink about 4 mugs of hot water with a sprinkle of stevia powder. The brand I use is NuStevia. It seems to have less fillers than other brands so you get more bang for your buck.

It does have a bit of a bitter taste but you get used to it. It is definitely sweet tho.

And for those of you trying to break your soda habit, Zevia is an all natural soda sweetened with stevia. I reach for one of these when I crave something carbonated.

I also like to drink Rooibos tea. It's not an actual tea leaf but an african brush that is high in antioxidants, zinc, manganese and other good minerals/nutrients. Caffeine free too.

It's disturbing how high ranking executives of these companies with their own political agendas can infiltrate government agencies like the FDA. I did not hear about the stevia incident. However, I have been researching how the FDA handles GMO's and it has really opened my eyes. The FDA stamp of approval means nothing to me these days. I choose to do my own research to determine if something is safe or not.

I believe it is 4-15 times sweeter than sugar, if I remember correctly? 1 drop goes a long, long way!

I didn't know about the raid on Stevia but I'm not surprised.

Yep, Monsanto is the owner of Aspartame and they are a huge GMO company that is the poster child of greed and corruption. They are patenting GMO seeds and the FDA allows it because Monsanto executives (and attorneys) are appointed by our govt administrations to work for the FDA and other govt offices, that is a blatant conflict of interest. Monsanto spends $1 million PER DAY enforcing their patents and suing any little farmer that indirectly gets in their path. Yes, they are very powerful, so powerful, they are able to infiltrate the govt and write their own laws on their controversial products.

They are the makers of Round Up. They genetically modify their seeds (such as corn and soy) to withstand their Round Up pesticide. So if you are eating corn or soy that is not organic, chances are very high it's GMO and it's been sprayed with Round Up.

It now makes perfect sense they went after an all natural sweetner such as Stevia.

That's how I have been getting my water intake too! I drink about 4 mugs of hot water with a sprinkle of stevia powder. The brand I use is NuStevia. It seems to have less fillers than other brands so you get more bang for your buck.

It does have a bit of a bitter taste but you get used to it. It is definitely sweet tho.

And for those of you trying to break your soda habit, Zevia is an all natural soda sweetened with stevia. I reach for one of these when I crave something carbonated.

I also like to drink Rooibos tea. It's not an actual tea leaf but an african brush that is high in antioxidants, zinc, manganese and other good minerals/nutrients. Caffeine free too.

It's disturbing how high ranking executives of these companies with their own political agendas can infiltrate government agencies like the FDA. I did not hear about the stevia incident. However, I have been researching how the FDA handles GMO's and it has really opened my eyes. The FDA stamp of approval means nothing to me these days. I choose to do my own research to determine if something is safe or not.

Tea is great too! I drink Republic of Tea with Rooibos and it's really good.

I love ice cold water.

But if I want to add natural flavor to it, I'll just toss in some mint leaves, lemon peel, lemon juice or tea bags in my gallon jug.

I hate using sweeteners of any kind. It just makes me thirstier

My sibling at 5 years old found a way to make bread taste good, too. You heap 5 tablespoons of white sugar onto each slice. You can eat an entire loaf that way. It makes you grow big and strong.

My sibling at 5 years old found a way to make bread taste good, too. You heap 5 tablespoons of white sugar onto each slice. You can eat an entire loaf that way. It makes you grow big and strong.

I don't get it...

I don't get it...

He is being sarcastic to say that what you mentioned is not a healthy choice;) But i disagree. It is way healthier than actual sugar.

Edited by JayQ