Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mattmyers

From Proactiv to Acne.org Regimen?

Hello guys, first post here.

First let me say that I am really excited to be a part of this community, it seems straight to business and none of the nonsense you see elsewhere.

I've just got a few questions here before I finally decide to go out and try this Regimen.

Basically like a lot of you guy's here, I've tried quite a bit of things to prevent acne. I've tried most of the top ones such as AcneFree, Proactiv, Murad etc. None seem to work 100% for me, however I can say that AcneFree and Proactiv seemed to be the best (for me). And they are BP based, 2.5% just like the regimen here.

I've been using Proactiv for at least two months now, when I first bought it I pretty much went from using nothing on my face to such a strong medicine for severe acne. I have pretty sensitive skin, It tore my face up pretty bad. Dried it out, burned me all of the above. However after using it for so long the redness and most of the dryness has started to subside. My face is still kind of dry but not as near as it use to be. However I have no reaction to the BP anymore it seems.

Basically what I'm wanting to know is. since I've been using BP for at least two months now (Proactiv/AcneFree), will using Dan's regimen be pretty easy for me to switch over to? Obviously I'll start out with the recommended amount and build my way up, I want to do it right. However Is Dan's regimen stronger than Proactive, or will it actually be easier for me? The proactive cleanser and repairing lotion both have 2.5% BP. I don't know what other ingredients Proactiv has so maybe they're not even really considered the same thing.

I also keep seeing in most people that have these problems that their face only turns red after applying the moisturizer. Is this because of something inside the moisturizer or is this just a reaction to the BP and then applying the moisturizer? I read the moisturizer ingredients however I don't know much about that stuff. I'm just wondering if the moisturizer is just that, a moisturizer for dry skin, or does it contain ingredients for fighting acne that also irritates the skin.

Thanks in advance!

Matt.

Edited by mattmyers

well i just want to link you to my expeirience with products i too had used proactiv murad acne free and others...well acne.org benzoyl peroxide is super super i mean super high quality ...and i love the mouisturizer too however the cleanser is like ok for me compared to the feel of proactiv Dan's products feel so much more superior in quality and the results are everything, however YOU MUST FOLLOW THE REGIMEN PRECISELY ...yes! start off how u said....

well yup start its its awesome! :)

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Dan-s-Cle...33#entry2739433

Thanks for the response, TTTTTurtle!

So in your experience of using both Proactiv and Acne.org regimen, which one was more irritating to your skin from the BP? Or since they were both 2.5% BP products were they about the same?

This is really all I'm curious/worried about. My acne is not horrible however any amount to me is not wanted, though I don't think it's worth severely drying me out and making my face beat red.

Edited by mattmyers

I used Proactiv for years and it was great, best skin of my life, but eventually it stopped working. I'm convinced that's because they don't include a moisturizer and the face wash is too harsh. Now I'm using Dan's, which my skin reacts to positively the way it did when Proactiv worked, but it's much less dry because I use moisturizer twice a day. There wasn't really an adjustment period for me. Instead of Dan's face wash, which I haven't tried, I use Cetaphil's everyday face wash for sensitive skin (it's awesome) - sometimes, if my skin is starting to feel dry, I'll slather it with Cetaphil in the shower, and lightly (LIGHTLY!) exfoliate with a real sea sponge (don't get synthetic), then rinse again with some Cetaphil. FYI, real sea sponges are great because they clean themselves and don't harbor bacteria. Otherwise, I don't have a problem with dryness anymore. I wouldn't try that exfoliating thing until you're well into the regimen, and I'm pretty sure someone's going to be on here saying "DON'T EXFOLIATE!" I'm just saying what works for me.

-Cetaphil face wash for sensitive skin

-Acne.org's big and affordable BP (it's crazy how much longer it lasts than Proactiv's tiny $20 a pop BP)

-Lotion:

-At night, Acne.org's moisturizer (it seems to work, and I'm not breaking out, but sometimes I feel like I want something that makes me skin even softerrr... any suggestions people?)

-In the day, Aveeno's face lotion with SPF15 (the one with the pinkish lid) has this calming herb that helps reduce redness, and I haven't found anything quite like it.

Thanks for the response km123!

I'm glad to hear you adjust fine from going from Proactiv to the Acne.org regimen, hopefully I'll be the same for me. That's my biggest worry, I don't want to go through the red and sensitive face thing again.

I'm still trying to finish off the rest of this Proactiv and then I'll most likely switch over to this regimen.

Like I said, I have some seriously sensitive skin. I once tried to use a wash cloth to wash my face, I ended up giving my face rugburn, to the point where it actually scabbed up. I didn't even scrub that hard. My skin is naturally dry also, just from the seasons changing my face will flake up. Adding any type of drying agent only makes things worse. However from using Proactiv+mosturizing and washing my face less for about two months now my face has gotten use to it all. Still a little dry but nothing a little bit of moisturizer can't beat.

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far!

Thanks for the response, TTTTTurtle!

So in your experience of using both Proactiv and Acne.org regimen, which one was more irritating to your skin from the BP? Or since they were both 2.5% BP products were they about the same?

This is really all I'm curious/worried about. My acne is not horrible however any amount to me is not wanted, though I don't think it's worth severely drying me out and making my face beat red.

hmnn well irritating? none really was irritating much. uhh but proactiv did make me breakout at first like a purge so idk with that...the acne.org bp just felt so much better. but in a way theey are similar i guess....i dont know.. all i know is the acne.org regimen is far better than proactiv on the results ...and consistency.

well the acne.org bp made my face peel one day in my forehead i got scared but its because i used the bp morning and night that day. my acne wasnt terrible or even severe so i could get away with using the bp only at night. so yea since i used it morning and night it made me peel but after i loaded my skin with mouisturizer it was all good. OTHER THAN THAT STRANGE EXPERIENCE. As long as you start off gently like i did...i didn't really get any irritation on my skin at all(ofcourse other than that day)

Hey, i just wanted to jump in the convo, but i would definetly start the regimen. I use the proactiv repair lotion and have seen excellent results. Just order the regimen or get the other supplies, so that when the repair lotion does run out you have the acne.org BP. Just don't use the proactiv cleanser and toner, because they are both too irritating, gentle fash wash and no toner is the way to go. I would just hide those two items in the cabinet so you arent tempted to use it.