Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jerichoa

I'm going to a Dermatologist soon. I'm going to request an oral medication, but what should I ask for?

I haven't been to a Dermatologist in about two years because I gave up after having no results from the Differin I was prescribed the last I went. A bad choice, I now know, but I thought I could control my acne on my own.

Here's a small list of what I've tried on my acne. Some of these items have worked and have prevented acne for a month or so, but by the time the scars started to lighten, I broke out again. Nothing has lasted longer than about a month.

-Differin gel, differin cream

-An antibiotic, I can't remember the name, unfortunately.

-Proactiv

-Many neutrogena products

-Many Clean & Clear Products

-Murad Acne Complex

-Baking soda

-Lemons

-Apples

-Toothpaste

-Witch Hazel

-Benzoyl Peroxide-containing products

-Salicylic Acid-containing products

That's just to name a few.

I'm seventeen years old now, and have had moderate-severe acne since I was about ten years old. I've figured that since nothing topical is working, I'll need something oral. I'm pretty sure my acne is hormonal.

I was wondering what you guys think I should ask for. I thought about accutane, but that's a last resort. If that's what I need though, then I'll take it. If you can think of anything less-intense that should work for me I would greatly appreciate it!

Also, my mother had acne when she was younger and she took tetracycline for it. Do you think that it may work for me as well?

I haven't been to a Dermatologist in about two years because I gave up after having no results from the Differin I was prescribed the last I went. A bad choice, I now know, but I thought I could control my acne on my own.

Here's a small list of what I've tried on my acne. Some of these items have worked and have prevented acne for a month or so, but by the time the scars started to lighten, I broke out again. Nothing has lasted longer than about a month.

-Differin gel, differin cream

-An antibiotic, I can't remember the name, unfortunately.

-Proactiv

-Many neutrogena products

-Many Clean & Clear Products

-Murad Acne Complex

-Baking soda

-Lemons

-Apples

-Toothpaste

-Witch Hazel

-Benzoyl Peroxide-containing products

-Salicylic Acid-containing products

That's just to name a few.

I'm seventeen years old now, and have had moderate-severe acne since I was about ten years old. I've figured that since nothing topical is working, I'll need something oral. I'm pretty sure my acne is hormonal.

I was wondering what you guys think I should ask for. I thought about accutane, but that's a last resort. If that's what I need though, then I'll take it. If you can think of anything less-intense that should work for me I would greatly appreciate it!

Also, my mother had acne when she was younger and she took tetracycline for it. Do you think that it may work for me as well?

hi!

i doubt tetracycline would be beneficial in the long run, especially if you've already taken an antibiotic which didn't work (i assume?). if i were you, i'd go to your derma with an open mind, but push to him that you don't want a topical. maybe spironolactone is an option; it works well for hormonal acne (it really helped mine). that combined with birth control pills helps some people a lot.

how severe is your acne and why do you think it's hormonal?

I consider my acne to be quite severe. I can post a picture up in a few minutes if that would help?

I think it's hormonal because I got it when I started my menstrual cycle. I always have new pimples, but I break out much, much more a few days before my period. Also, when I get stressed out I break out more than I normally would.

Hahaha you and I are seriously stuck in the same boat right now.

I've been breaking out since I was 13 or 14. I'm your age now and I've been through every single product that you just listed...along with about a billion others. (Minus the Murad...I noticed the bad reviews on that and decided to avoid it like the plague. If only I did the same for Proactiv darnit...)

So! After trying it all, my dermatologist decided that I should try a birth control pill to fight my moderate to severe acne. I first went on Yaz and HATED it. It cleared my skin for a month and then I broke out like crazy. She now switched me to Loestrin 24 fe and it seems to agree with my skin much better. After years of fighting, I'm also giving in to Accutane soon.

Tetracycline might not do much. It helped me for a while but my acne just began to resist it. I agree that a birth control pill might be the best bet. It would really help to level out the androgen levels in your body.

If all else fails, start to consider Accutane perhaps...as scary as that last resort sounds, I know.

And pictures would be awesome!

Edited by mercyunbound

My right side then left. What's really unfortunate is that this is what my skin looks like on a good day. It's completely disheartening. Accutane, even with its risks, sounds amazing to me when I see these.

post-117508-1259547833_thumb.jpg

post-117508-1259547991_thumb.jpg

post-117508-1259547833_thumb.jpg

post-117508-1259547991_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerichoa

Seriously don't feel bad, my face has looked, and DOES look, exactly like that on good days. I get cysts like that all over my jaw constantly. A birth control pill might really help. I had bad luck with my first BCP but I'm hoping this second one will be better.

Like you, Differin did NOTHING for me. The only topical that made a bit of a difference was Finacea. It takes a little while to work but it brought down the inflammation and the red marks weren't so obvious.

I wish this type of acne wasn't so hard to get rid of but that's why I'm at last giving in to Accutane. :/

I'm really hoping that I can get Accutane. I'm not worried about the side effects because I know the end result will be worth it. I know that I'll have to go on the pill if I get it too, and my parents (insane Christians, I'm more of a liberal Christian) would most likely be VERY against it. I have a boyfriend and I think they'll say it'll promote sexuality in our relationship... Which is very unlikely, but that's another story entirely!

I'm so sick of this. It's a living hell. I cry every night. When will it be over?

Oh, I also failed to mention that I have acne not only on my face and neck, but on my chest, shoulders, upper and lower back as well.

Great.

Haha go figure. My parents are extremely zealous Christians and HATEDHATEDHATED the thought of birth control. My mom freaked out thinking that it would just give me a reason to run around and meet any guy that I could haha. It took me a while to make them realize that it could really help my acne and they gave in a few months ago.

They were also really worried about Accutane; thanks to all of its horror stories. Most of the doctors have told me that it's basically like any medication, it comes with risks. At this point I really think it's worth it for me and at LAST my parents agree to give it a try.

It really is a living hell though. I hate the way all of my friends have FLAWLESS skin and I'm the one stuck with a red, lumpy, itchy face. Ughhh.

I haven't even talked to my parents about Accutane and birth control. I'm pretty sure they'll give into it without me having to push too hard, because my dad has seen how it's prevented me from doing the things I wanted to.

The derm should know what's best, but I'm so, so afraid that I'm not going to get Accutane, but something else instead that won't work.

A few of my friends have "bad" skin (mild acne). My skin beats their butts to the end of the universe and back though. I am extremely ashamed of my acne, even though it's not my fault.

My Nana came for Thanksgiving, and I was sitting outside with my little sister and little cousin. She was talking to my sister, then all of a sudden she says to me "So what are you going to do about your face?" and she touched hers. I was horrified, because I knew she was going to tell me the same thing she does every time she sees me. She did. "It just looks so bad. I don't even think you're using anything on it now, are you? You just can't be beautiful until you do something about your face, but you just don't care." That last part made me wail and I went inside.

Now I'm crying... Will the derm think I'm crazy if I start crying when I'm talking to him?

Just explain to the derm how you’ve tried everything out there. It took my derm a while to give in but now she’s all for it. Don’t worry about crying when you’re talking to him. He might take you more seriously that way. I was almost in tears when I talked to my own dermatologist and she agreed that Accutane would be the best bet against my stubborn face.

Oh man that’s so harsh. People just can never say the right things. Either they’re way too blunt or they use all of those stupid white lies “Oh it looks fine.†“You have acne?! No WAY! I can’t tell!†It’s so annoying.

My one friend got ONE zit the other day. ONE. (She has great skin.) She kept telling me that she had a “beard full of zits†when I’m the one sitting there with acne all over my jaw. Gosh.

I'm just praying that Accutane is the miracle that everyone says it is.

I'm glad you're going to be taking Accutane! I really hope that I can get it and I'm sure it's got to be a miracle! It's the only thing I haven't tried yet!

That annoys me too. It's so awkward. I'm avoiding mirrors, and a friend of my in leaned up in one "popping" a zit I can't even see and crying about it. I wish people would tell me little white lies! That would be a breath of fresh air. I always get the truth x 100.

Haha me too. I have a feeling it will work great. I'll have to keep a log here and keep track of the change.

Pffft as soon as you get on Accutane I bet you'll have better skin than all of them! They won't ever be able to say a blunt thing ever again!

HA! YES! Wouldn't that be great?

Accutane is different from other prescriptions... There are a lot of blood tests and what not that have to be done. How does that work? Will it take longer for me to get the prescription, or could I get lucky and have it done in a day or two? That's what I'm curious about.

HA! YES! Wouldn't that be great?

Accutane is different from other prescriptions... There are a lot of blood tests and what not that have to be done. How does that work? Will it take longer for me to get the prescription, or could I get lucky and have it done in a day or two? That's what I'm curious about.

Sorry if im being nosy but i just gotta compliment and say you look fine dont worry much about it, im sure once you see your derm he/she will find something to really benefit you :)

One last thing so you guys are seniors? or juniors in highschool?

I look fine with makeup, but without it, I look like something that crawled out of hell!

I'm a senior, yes. With a bright future ahead of me, especially if I can find something to get my acne under control!

SnoopyisAJ: I'm a senior here. :)

As for getting Accutane...it was a lot more difficult than I expected. Guys can get the stuff with no problem. (Figures, eh?) Of course us girls have to get the birth control and then take two pregnancy tests. If you time it correctly, it could be a month, two months max. I just finished my last blood work and I'm waiting to call the dermatologist tomorrow to see if she can order the drug. You also have to fill out some papers swearing that you'll never get pregnant. (Like we actually want to have deformed, alien babies swimming in Accutane.)

I heard that they have to take sooo much precaution with this because...obviously people are stupid. The drug has a picture of a pregnant woman with a big 'X' in the middle. ...Some women thought that meant that they couldn't get pregnant while taking Accutane...soooo...the rest of us suffer from their stupidity. Haha niceeeee.

I look fine with makeup, but without it, I look like something that crawled out of hell!

I'm a senior, yes. With a bright future ahead of me, especially if I can find something to get my acne under control!

You look fine period.

I can assure you there would be something waiting for you in the future and acne if taken care properly will just go away hopefully forever.

Nice proud of you guys being seniors unlike me had to repeat 9th grade cause of algebra can you blame me the teacher can hardly speak english :(

Edited by SnoopyisAj

Mercyunbound: I don't know if I could wait that long... I feel like I've been waiting six years and I'm so impatient! AHHH!

SnoopyisAj: Thanks. :) That's until you see my horrific chest, shoulders, and back.. MWUHAHAHA!

I know, I was really upset when they couldn't just hand it over to me. It goes by pretty quickly though if you just keep thinking about it and focusing on how awesome it should be hahaha. God I can't WAIT to walk out the door without makeup on!

And SnoopyisAj: Your English is fine! And I haven't met a person yet that loves algebra. :)

No big, no i wouldn't care because i think its not that bad :)

no lol as i was saying the teacher that i had for algebra isn't that good at explaining things since he doesn't speak english(well either that or i wasn't really listening) haha I love basic math but algebra is a no no for me.

ME EITHER! It's going to be great. :) I just want clear skin by the time I go to college.

Oh, and SnoopyisAj, I somehow overlooked what you wrote about your algebra teacher. That's awful! I'm sorry about that. They make you take Algebra and then give you a teacher you can't understand... Talk about adding insult to injury!

Haha yes exactly! I swear that I'll never wear a drop of makeup ever again! It seems like most of the people at college have great skin too.

SnoopyisAj: My bad! Maybe I'm the one with English problems if I missed that hahaha. :P That's awful that something like that happened to you! I would have been so upset!

It does seem that way.... I haven't stayed with my friend in her dorm room (who attends the college I plan on attending) because I'm so embarrassed by how I look in fluorescent lighting. During the summer I went on a mission trip and we stayed in a school (a public school, and I'm almost certain that that violates the first amendment, but ANYWAY) and when I took my makeup off in that awful fluorescent lighting... I wanted to cry, and I thought about calling my parents then and asking them to make a dermatologist appointment for me while I was away. I really wish I had.

Yeah should have been a senior if it werent for my algebra but oh well god has plans for everything, its all good though :liar:

and good luck on accutane guys i'm pretty sure it has helped alot of people and will definitely help you guys 2 just be patient and always stay positive :)

acne sucks!

Fluorescent lighting is the worst thing that mankind has ever invented...for acne prone people at least. God I hate it. I was at a hotel a week or so ago and the bathroom was covered in it. I could hardly put makeup on because the red marks just looked like they were burning through my face.

And thanks SnoopyisAj! I'm sure it will be worth the really long wait! Acne does suck! It's so unnecessary!