Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xo_melissa

I would like to be clear by my birthday.

Today I realized that crying every day isn't cool, and avoiding hanging out with friends sucks, and being uncomfortable even going to school isn't fun.

So I made a decision that I want to really be clear by my birthday! Which is December 30. I've never really had support with this, so I'm hoping maybe here, I can get the support I need to pull through.

My phone is currently dead and in my father's car outside in the freezing cold, so I can't take any pictures right now. But if I were to take pictures, and post them here, would some of you help me to come up with a routine I can follow each day to steadily clear my face up? It's really bringing my self esteem down to the point I don't think I really have any anymore.

I wash with Dove Moisturizing bar in the morning, moisturize with Neutrogena oil-free moisturizer for combination skin, and head to school.

I wash when I get home from school because my face is covered in oil, & rub lemon on.

I rinse or wash (depending on if my dinner was greasy and got all over my face) and rub on more lemon before bed.

http://i49.tinypic.com/33jlcae.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/293hx1f.jpg

Edited by xo_melissa

hey hang in there and just have faith you'll be clear before you know it :)

and quick question so do you basically wash your face 3 times a day? might want to consider after going back from school those oil patches and gently rub it on your face cause i used to apply lemon on my face also and it made my face super oily that i had to carry around clean and clear oil something for my face. Also cut washing your face to only two times a day and stick with your routine just dont over wash it or put lemon on your face twice a day cause that will also make you really vulnerable from the sun. Just stating my past experience with lemon it did keep me clear for quite sometime after that idk what happened but stopped working for me. Goodluck!

I would try some new products. I've tried Neutrogena and it didn't do anything for me whatsoever. I'm also wondering about your skin's PH balance. It sounds like a lot of moisture in the morning and then you put on lemon on the afternoon and night which is pretty acidic.

Maybe just start with a good cleanser, moisturizer and a spot treatment. Tossing in some masks wouldn't hurt either.

I think you might be using too much lemon. I've heard of putting it on a few zits to help heal them but the entire face might be too harsh.

Also, washing your face more than twice a day can irritate it from time to time.

It takes a lot of research and time to find the right regimen but I'm sure you will! :) Hope everything works out!

Deadmau5 - I stopped using any kind of products with BP and stuff because it was really hurting my skin a lot.

SnoopyisAj - I don't always do it 3 times a day, but yes, sometimes I do. And the lemon doesn't seem to even sting when I put it on anymore, and I'm never really in the sun, so I don't think it can be hurting me too much. x-X

mercyunbound - Do you know of a good moisturizer that will moisturize but not grease me up? It's driving me crazy, I feel like I'm going backwards. & also a spot treatment. All the natural things for spot treatment don't work for me, like honey and tea tree oil and all that.

Thank you guys for replying <3333

It usually takes about four weeks for your skin to fully adjust to new products, so once you settle on which ones you'll use you should stick to them religiously and not use anything else that may disrupt your skin's healing.

As for a moisturiser that doesn't make you greasy, I recommend 'Enzymion' from Lush. It smells divine, it's very moisturising but it soaks up excess oil, it lasts for AGES, and it's made from all natural ingredients.

That's another thing I recommend -- all natural products. Lush also has cleansers and toners for acne-prone skin, so perhaps you should think about investing in some. For a cleanser I use Lush's 'Herbalism'. It's tricky to use at first, but it's amazing. It's for oily skin, and it's exfoliating, so it gets rid of dead skin cells and other things that can block pores, but it's gentle enough to use every day. And for toner I use their 'Tea Tree Water'. All of these products are natural, I just don't believe it's good to put too many chemicals on your face.

Good luck.

EDIT -- you mentioned needing a spot treatment. I've never tried it but I hear great things about 'Freederm' gel. It's apparently the best affordable spot treatment out there.

Edited by onateo

Clearing up your skin in one month might be a biiiit tricky but I bet you can give it a shot if you get the right products that work for you! :)

Right now I use Dermalogica's Oil Control Lotion. It's a bit pricey but you only use a tiiiiny bit. I personally love it because it keeps my skin moist, doesn't leave my face looking shiny and doesn't break me out. Of course things work differently for everyone. It's all a matter of trial and error.

Finding a nice, gentle, noncomedogenic moisturizer would be awesome. All you need is something simple. Try to stay away with anything stuffed with fake things like added fragrance. Some of those smells can irritate your skin to no end.

I agree that some of the natural spot treatment stuff like honey and tea tree doesn't work for me either. It's hard to find a spot treatment, at least I think, that doesn't have BP in it. So you might have to do some research...but they're out there!

Maybe you can find a nice mask to use like one with sulfur in it. I put a dab of certain masks on a few fresh zits and leave it on while I sleep. Milk of Magnesia worked a bit for me when it came to drying out a zit or two. I don't think it's magic though...but not bad!

Edited by mercyunbound

Retin-A at night and Melezapalm during day. If you have mild acne/discoloration they will work wonders. Buy them both generic online. Good Luck.

Retin-A at night and Melezapalm during day. If you have mild acne/discoloration they will work wonders. Buy them both generic online. Good Luck.

Retin-A is a prescription medication.

One of my old derm's prescribed me retin-a, I might be able to find it somewhere in my cabinet... Hm.

I reaaally appreciate the help guys. It makes me feel more confident this is possible. There's no doubt my acne's gotten A LOT better the past few months. So, I think I can do it. :D

One of my old derm's prescribed me retin-a, I might be able to find it somewhere in my cabinet... Hm.

I reaaally appreciate the help guys. It makes me feel more confident this is possible. There's no doubt my acne's gotten A LOT better the past few months. So, I think I can do it. :D

How long ago was it prescribed? If you find it, be sure to check the expiration date. Never use expired medications. ; )

How long ago was it prescribed? If you find it, be sure to check the expiration date. Never use expired medications. ; )

Hm, the longest probably before the summer x-X She always used these pure white tubes with stickers on then with just the name of the stuff inside, and her name on it. Never any real information. Which freaked me out because I never knew exactly what she was giving me because she nicknamed everything. That's why I stopped going to her. D:

Retin-A is a prescription medication.

Ive been buying Retin-A online since 2006. No prescription. There are TONS of sites that sell prescription medicine of ANY kind worldwide. Generic or Brand name.

Ditch the Dove Bar.... most bars are not good for acne prone skin as they tend to become overly drying, causing an increase in oil production.

Also as others have said, washing your face 3x a day is NOT good!!! And then using lemon on top of it is prone to aggravate your skin.

Your acne isn't that bad, I would get a good face wash in the morning and then moisturize. Then get a BP based wash at night and spot treat any active pimples.

You mentioned that BP has been very drying for you in the past; most people run into this problem because they are using TOO MUCH BP at once. All you need is a little pinch and don't go higher than 2.5%. Anything higher is very harsh and extremely drying.

Hope this helps, Happy Birthday (I know its early) but if you follow this routine I'm certain you'll see a huge improvement.

Also if you have access to a Steam Room, you should go 2-3x a week for about 15 minutes. That has been one of my top secret weapons in fighting any acne along with eating plenty of Spinach everyday. Spinach is awesome and has a high Vitamin A content. Go the grocery store and pick up a ready made bag of Spinach, its like 7 bucks. Then just eat a couple handfuls everyday and you'll be amazed.

Good luck!!

Sunny