Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tv_viewer

Accutane & Birth Control

For those of you are taking birth control pills on Accutane:

Which brand did you take?

Did you gain weight?

I'm thinking about starting Yasmin along with Accutane but I'm unsure as when I took Alesse in the past I gained a lot of weight quickly.

Hi tv_viewer,

I'm taking Allese with accutane, and I'm not noticing any type of weight gain. I am actually losing weight while I'm on it (this is my second month) because I started eating healthy and exercising regularly. I'm sure that each brand acts differently on every body, but if you're afraid of weight gain, then I suggest changing your diet and activity level. Hope that helps.

Hi tv_viewer,

I'm taking Allese with accutane, and I'm not noticing any type of weight gain. I am actually losing weight while I'm on it (this is my second month) because I started eating healthy and exercising regularly. I'm sure that each brand acts differently on every body, but if you're afraid of weight gain, then I suggest changing your diet and activity level. Hope that helps.

Thank you for your response! I actually eat really healthy and have a healthy low weight so I don't think there's much I can change. I guess it just goes to show how we each react so differently to medications.

I was on yasmin, and I did gain weight roughly around 7 pounds.

I am possibly going to be starting my second course (accutane) and am debating on taking Yaz or Ortho tri cyclen. My dermo wants me to do each one for about 3 months and see which I like better, on yasmin in the begining my skin was bad (also probably the infamous accutane IB) but I also had really bad cramps while on it.

Previous to yasmin I was on allesse also and when first starting on it I gained weight.

Hopefully Yaz or OTC will work...

I'm taking ortho-cyclin (pretty much the same as ortho-tri-cyclin) and I gained about 5 pounds. Nothing too noticeable though. It's just the basic birth control that was the cheapest. My friend got a liver AND kidney infection and she believes it's from Yaz. But I'm not sure if that's the case.

I think that any birth control you take you have the potential risk of weight gain, I think it's just how your body reacts to it because I know people who did gain weight on certain brands, and some who didn't on the same brand.

I've been taking zovia for 4 1/2 years now and haven't gained any weight. Well maybe like a pound or two, but it went all to my boobs (i went from a c to a d). Anyways I've been on accutane for only around 2 weeks, but still no weight change. Overall though, i really like my birth control and would recommend it to anyone. :)

Also, my doctor was going to prescribe me yasmin, but ended up going with zovia because he heard it was better. Anyways, good luck !

Edited by samanthapaige

I'm taking ortho-cyclen, not ortho-tri-cyclen... my doc said that a lot of women have crazy mood swings when they take the "tri" birth controls because the hormones are different. I figured I wouldn't want anything to affect my mood while I'm on accutane!