Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sergo

Acne treatment by means of statins application

In the attached article you can read about the new possibility of the acne treatment based on the implementation of statins. :)

Abstract

Above mentioned article pictures metabolical path leading to cholesterol creation and with other derivatives coming out from, makes the suppositions that androgenes charged by causing of acne symptoms could be tamed by means of statins implementation. Because of HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors block the squalene production as well, anti-acne statins' effects could be augmented.

AcneStatinsEN.pdf

AcneStatinsEN.pdf

Edited by sergo

I really hope no one uses Statins as a means of treating acne.

Statins treat the SYPMTOM not the CAUSE.

Quite opposite: statins do treat causes of the acne because they decrease amount of produced cholesterol. Consequently, amount of the cholesterol metabolic derivatives (playing crucial role as the causes of acne) is also decreased. So, statins act on the "deep" level of the metabolic path in contradistinction to many other chemicals which are applied only on the outermost layers of the skin. ;)

nah it doesn treat acne if u stop taking the drug ur cholesterol lvl will return to its normal lvl so ur acne will come back......drugs only cure acne temporily n has many side effects so better don try

nah it doesn treat acne if u stop taking the drug ur cholesterol lvl will return to its normal lvl so ur acne will come back......drugs only cure acne temporily n has many side effects so better don try
You found my article stated. Don't. I don't mean you or anybody try method proposed by me. It's only scientific research to consider it, to ponder on. Anyway, congratulations for your knowledge.

Yes having high cholesterol is sometimes correlated to having acne.

So you want to use Statins to lower our body's NATURAL cholesterol producing ability!?!

What else is correlated?

Well at automobile accidents there are always skid-marks!

So skidmarks must cause auto accidents!

Let's see...if we pave the roads with Teflon then we'll never have skid-marks again!!

And since there will be no more skid-marks there will be no more auto accidents!!!

YAAAYYY!!!

Everyone can always use a lesson from the Town of Allopath

Let's see...if we pave the roads with Teflon then we'll never have skid-marks again!!

And since there will be no more skid-marks there will be no more auto accidents!!!

YAAAYYY!!!

Well, well... I wonder if cher tigermike is only kidding us or really doesn't see any difference between "causes" and "effects"? ;)

Everybody who reads your example should notice that the real cause of the car accident is not described by you. This (unknown) factor caused the braking. Braking caused skid-marks on the road, so skid-marks are only one of the side effects of the car accident, not the cause.

So skid-marks don't cause car accidents, but it's quite opposite!

Unknown factor causing braking we can compare with something what causes abnormal production of cholesterol. Improper reaction of the human organism we can compare with panic braking. Skid with acne and, finally, "your" magic skid-marks we can compare with pimples on the skin. ;)

Use of statins is like use of ABS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-lock_braking_system) - you can slow down your car decreasing length of skid-marks or even getting rid of them!

That's it. :)

YAAAYYY!!!

Well, well... I wonder if cher tigermike is only kidding us or really doesn't see any difference between "causes" and "effects"? ;)

Everybody who reads your example should notice that the real cause of the car accident is not described by you. This (unknown) factor caused the braking. Braking caused skid-marks on the road, so skid-marks are only one of the side effects of the car accident, not the cause.

So skid-marks don't cause car accidents, but it's quite opposite!

Unknown factor causing braking we can compare with something what causes abnormal production of cholesterol. Improper reaction of the human organism we can compare with panic braking. Skid with acne and, finally, "your" magic skid-marks we can compare with pimples on the skin. ;)

Use of statins is like use of ABS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-lock_braking_system) - you can slow down your car decreasing length of skid-marks or even getting rid of them!

That's it. :)

wow. epic fail on your part.

It was sarcasm.

Did you view the video?

The statins in my example would be the Teflon.

Hmm sorry tigermike, can't see your logic in this one. Also in the post example of "statins not effective", unless I'm misreading it, there is no control group WITHOUT statins. Doesn't that totally render the study useless in trying to draw that conclusion ?

In the video, indeed it could be seen as a correlation, but the statins example are attempting to intervene in the early stages of causes. Whether it would work or not is another matter, just I can't see your logic at all. No offense meant :).

It all makes sense to me, or at least it probably would if I could understand chemistry ;).

Edited by wibble

I can't believe I have to do this...lemme break it down for everyone.

In the video the "doctor" blames skidmarks as the cause of auto accidents.

This is humorous because we all know that is not the cause.

SADLY this is how doctors treat heart disease!

He saw skidmarks and prescribed Teflon.

They see high cholesterol and prescribe Statins.

Neither prescription does anything to correct the bigger problem.

When low and behold....high cholesterol is not the problem.

Eating cholesterol does not negatively effect "your cholesterol".

Prevention and lifestyle choices (the stop signs) can prevent heart disease.

Eat less sugar, processed food, inflammatory foods, processed oils, and transfat! Exercise!

But eating less sugar, processed food and inflammatory foods and oils and transfat won't increase the doctor's paycheck or the pharmaceutical companies profit margin!

The drug companies would rather stay in business and sell you a pill to take.

The doctor would rather his practice make $$$.

The same in the video...The Teflon factory was making $$$....all the auto repair shops, and doctors were making $$$. Insurance companies make $$$.

They all had an interest in keeping that cycle going. If the "Stop signs" were put up....no one could make $$$.

SO...

can poor cholesterol ratios and acne be correlated. Absolutely. In fact i believe they both can result from the same lifestyle/diet.

Can either be TREATED with STATINS? possibly.

Will it take care of either problem?! never.

You can treat a symptom but you should really be getting to the underlying health problem in the first place.

I once had an instructor teach me something about problem solving. ASK 5 "WHY" questions and you'll probably get to the ROOT of the problem.

EXAMPLE

I have acne. WHY?

because I have a poor cholesterol ratio. WHY?

because I eat poor quality food often and rely on our government's food pyramid.

That didn't even take 5 questions.

Yet those who would think of using Statins to treat their acne would have stopped at the second question.

Some stop at the first question and go and get an Accutane prescription. Same thing. You're treating a symptom of an underlying health issue that needs to be addressed.

We get the video ;0, that doesn't need explaining. Its just that it doesn't apply to this case.

The statins would be used as a method of interfering, preventing acne being visible. This is the problem. However its "cured", I personally don't care. Naturally we all want it to be done as healthily as possible.

Acne isn't even a single process to be cured. I agree with you that diet likely plays a large part, however its not the only part, and your 5 questions imo led to an incorrect answer. Why does the same diet affect two people different ? (rhetorical) You can then go back down to genetics. Is that a cure ? The concept of cure for acne I would say is even incorrect.

None of that means that statins can't help with acne, and none of it means that a diet isn't a better way to go. Will it permanently fix it ? Nope, but no one has said that. BUT its an interesting idea, and something that could help.

If MY PROBLEM is having visible acne, then I would argue, if it works, then its taken care of. This is different to the video, as we can both see that its fixed the problem unlike the vid. (But yes well aware that without it, acne will return).

When someone comes up with an acne free diet, then all this research will be pretty much null and void. No diet I've had has prevented acne. I have my own theories, and diet has taken a role, but lot of other factors have as well.

I did take Accutane, and it worked. It made me start living again (I tried to commit suicide as I was so depressed with severe cysts all over face), now I've got a whole new life. It is still obsessed with trying to make it long term, but I'll take what I can get. I've also tried various diets (on a decent veggie carb based, low GI/GL, low sugar etc, av protein and vat). Hasn't made much of a difference after 6 months of it, and that was an extreme change.

Back to the original post though, I find it all interesting trying to figure out how the different pathways work with other, and all theories valid until proved of no use. If statins help, they are of use! Round circle to the video being wrong place.

5 questions for me..

1.I have acne...why ? I really dont know. Derms don't know. Accutane helps, they dont know how

2. How DOES accutane actually stop sebum and acne ?

3.4.5 Come up with other theories with conzyme-a, b5, Biotin

Edited by wibble