Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Being

Inching Towards the DO NOTHING method..

Hullo.

I'm 24 yrs old, have had acne since about 12, & like everyone else I've tried everything also.

Except doing nothing.

When I first saw the log with the kid who decided to teach his acne "a lesson" by abstaining from doing anything to recover it, even washing with water.. I thought this boy is BONKERS!

Well, I did some research & alas, it makes oddly perfect sense.

[i'm not going to rehash what's already been written..check this most informative post here:

acne.org/messageboard/Natural-Regimen-t222372.html]

So right now I am going to wean off of topical products. Today is the first day in a very very very extremely really very long time that I will not wash my face before going to bed. HOWEVER, I'm cheating because I applied Burt's spot treatment on 2 spots. But just two spots!

I only washed my face (with Eucrin Redness Reducing Cleanser..) this morning. Now, BED!

I feel liberated! Hopefully things look ok in the morn... Will update! Also took pics of me now, I'll post those too.

-erica

Edited by Being

I'm really curious to see how this turns out. Anything is worth a try! It does make plenty of sense after doing some research. God it's really hard to break free from some of these "false miracles" that we're all so drawn to on the market.

I'm forcing myself to try Accutane soon but...who knows. If it fails...guess I'm off to try the "do nothing regime" for a change hahaha!

So! Please keep us updated with photos and such! :)

Please try this! I'm on day 6 and it's working for me.

I've also been doing the HUGE no's like eating fast food, smoking, drinking.. which is something that always broke me out and so far I haven't had ONE pimple.

Don't be afraid to try this.. it honestly makes perfect logical sense.

:D

Thank u guys I'm really more encouraged now because I almost quit and it's just day ONE, ha! Well, my skin's been very dependent on products & I went to the Medspa last week and was told my skin was very very congested sooooo should NOT be a big surprise that I woke up this morn to find some lovely new spots..

:cry:

Well as I said I'm weaning off of products. Hey, after around 10 straight yrs of religiously washing and applying products, psychologically I'm not ready to go cold turkey!

SO I decided to use some castor oil as a cleanser a la this guy: acne.org/messageboard/OIL-CLEANSING-METHOD-Hi-t141871.html&hl=castor+oil

But just castor, not extra virgin mixed in.. Might do this again tonight depending on how depressed I am, ha.

STILL really really really really wanted to just WASH my face. But didn't.

The condition of it now is a bit dry & moderately oily. More new little whiteheads & tiny red spots and like 3 new (albiet small) cysts. sigh. Just would like to note I've had back and chest acne, did virtually nothing for it and it is non-existent.

Ok. Will post again in a few days or so. My skin condition day before yesterday:

Front

http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz312/s...ty/P1150242.jpg

Right side

http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz312/s.../b75a5bfd-1.jpg

Left side

http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz312/s...ty/62ff7209.jpg

Here is yesterday:

front

http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz312/s...ty/f130dbbb.jpg

right side

http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz312/s...ty/6713b4f5.jpg

left side

http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz312/s...ty/14b679ac.jpg

AND TODAY IS WORSE! Alas, I am not discouraged... yet.

erica

Edited by Being

OK. Now I am officially discouraged. I'm going to throw up. I'm feeling very very very bad. I don't think this natural method is for me. I just woke up & my face looks horrible. & if it's this bad after just two days I can't imagine what it will be like by the end of the week. i've already cancelled my plans for friday night w/ friends. I don't think I can go on. I'm going away at the end of december and then again in the middle of january; i will be miserable if my face is in this horrible condition then, in front of all these people i'm going with. ahhhhhhgggg.

feel. so. low.

:cry:

for info purposes: i did the castor oil thing again last night, dabbed my two biggest pimples w. BP. and this morning, castor oil too.. nothing else... but might just cave to the bp for today. gonna pick up some sulfur on the spot treatment probably.. that healed me quick in the past.. at least its not bp. ahhh, im just depressed.

this is not going good for you. you better stick to your old routine if that makes you feel better..

Please try this! I'm on day 6 and it's working for me.

I've also been doing the HUGE no's like eating fast food, smoking, drinking.. which is something that always broke me out and so far I haven't had ONE pimple.

Don't be afraid to try this.. it honestly makes perfect logical sense.

:D

Ehm the huge no's ? No fast food, no smoking wth man. How can you call that huge nows. Most people here eat healthy. And its mostly not their diet but their genetics (oily skin). Or they have to take a really strict diet. I guess they have tried it a long long time ago. Or even didnt have to try.

I have faith in you Erica, you can do it girl. :)

thank u :)

turns out I was a bit strung out this morn but things are not actually so bad! considering I'm

not traditionally washing & not using tons of topical on my face things are pretty mild! I freaked cuz my face had these tiny whitheads and crap by my nose & had 2 gross big cysts. that all calmed down within a few hrs.. it's not that much differnt than before AND I'd like to note (maybe due to weather maybe due to the castor oil?) my face is way way way less oily than normal. so, not too bad. :)

I'm overly emotional in the morning! lol

I think there's a breakout about to emerge though so I'm a bit worried but will try to ride it out & not over react too bad.

oh, does anyone know where I can get turmeric??

thanks!!

Erica

UPDATE!

would just like to note that i'm going to bed now and notice my skin has an odd glow.. despite the fact that i have new pimples (one icky ugly giant one that id like to pop but wont! and the 2nd bad one is healing rather quickly from this morn... & some new ones emerging) it's weirdly healthy looking! is this psychosomatic?? i dont have a camera at the apt im in (currently moving from one place to another so all my stuff is elsewhere) so cant document it propery. ill try camera phone.

i wonder if its mental or maybe the castor oil or the not picking, popping or anything or what.. Oh, i'd like to note that im eating even healthier than usual in a hopeful attempt to speed up this process.

im gonna continue w/ castor oil for the remainder of the wk.

i should mention i covered up the 2 big pimples w/ bare minerals foundation. wonder if thats very bad to do?

ok. ciao. oh yeah, plz inform me if anyone knows bout turmeric?? where do i get it??

erica

ps: NEW UPDATE! ok just tried camera phone. definitely there is some faint glow.. a subtle reddish flush in my cheeks. is this good or bad?? i have not rubbed it or anything.. have not even touched it actually! it does give a nice heathy looking appearance to my skin. it just looks very vibrant and fresh in spite of the marks! cool! this gives me hope!

Oh also lower oil than normal, but again, not sure if its related to the weather or something..(can u tell i dont want to get my hopes up??)

:)

What type of turmeric are you interested in? Pill form? Loose powder? What do you plan on doing with it? I've experimented with turmeric before hahaha.

go for turmeric roots.. i think someone said that they find those in asian markets in your area if you have one..

was going to add it to my diet actually; im not sure, what do u recommend? just read in a holistic skin care book that it was great for acne.

also just an update, yesterday did NOT cleanse w. castor before bed.. did not do anything.. and skin looks so much better!

can't believe it! even my mom commented that it looks better, depite the big pimples the condition of the skin just looks way better.

thanks guys

erica

Just eat a heck of a lot of Indian food. :) You can buy the powder in the spice department at most grocery stores of health food stores. Asian markets would most likely have the fresh roots too.

breaking out!! w. bigger pimples than normal. sucks lots. im hangin on.. still less oily and the skin w/o pimples looks healthier in a weird way.. put water on it for the first time today in the shower. spot treated like 4 of em w/ apsprin but didnt do much.

hmmm thinking i should wash it.. really gently? cause im wondering if the oil thing is bad. ugh. confused and very impatient. stress levels pretty bad lately in my life too so thats prob bad. am eating pretty healthy though. [omg did anyone see "Food, Inc" ????]

ok also i tried SOOOOOOO hard for so long but my bad habits got the best of me and i popped a few pimples... really not a lot! but i couldnt take it they were bothering me a lot. 2 big pimples. and 3 teeny whiteheads, but they were so prominent!

ah weird thing is i was feelin bummed today cuz of the skin but kept repeating affirmations in my head: "i have clear beautiful skin" and hmm maybe its all in the attitude cause some guy asked for my number today. i had noooo makeup on. i didnt get it at all but it boosted my ego :)

so this turmeric thing, should i put it on topically?? if so how?? like a mask or..?

thank thanks!

erica

about the turmeric thing.. put it in the fridge to cool it so that it will be soft.. cut it in pieces then crush it to extract the juice.. then use that juice topically.. be aware of the tint that will be left.. though that would be gone in time..

about the turmeric thing.. put it in the fridge to cool it so that it will be soft.. cut it in pieces then crush it to extract the juice.. then use that juice topically.. be aware of the tint that will be left.. though that would be gone in time..

ooh.. how long should i keep it on? and how long does the tint last?

i leave it on overnight then wash it off with water the next day when you take a bath.. 2-3 days and the tint is gone. it fades as days pass by..

i leave it on overnight then wash it off with water the next day when you take a bath.. 2-3 days and the tint is gone. it fades as days pass by..

yikes u are braver than ne, I can't deal with a tint for 2-3 days..

I now SPOT treat w/ BP.. really want the big ugly pimples to heal.. ohh and wow bad habits die hard I popped the big ugly ones I couldn't control myself! :/

also cleansed for the first time yesterday. both days prior I finally used water. I actually don't think my skin at this point at least can handle not washing. so my new method will be washing w/ water in the am and cleansing w cetaphil or an equally gentle cleanser in the evening.

and spot treating.

what about moisturizer? my skin feels pretty dry. would it be bad to use??

thanks

e

Edited by Being

So my skin has been looking fantastic lately! Havent been able to update lately cause been moving. Anyway yeah looking much much better, healing and drying up significantly!!!

However, yesterday I started getting more pimples.. I think i'm breaking out! I'm getting my period! Eff you period!

Hangin in there.. hope it will not be too bad. Heard taking 2 tums before bed regulates acid on your skin so gonna do that while I'm in hormonal breakout mode.

My biggest realization in this is SIMPLIFICATION is better and hardly messing with your skin at all is BEST. Without a doubt! at least for my age group.

i now GENTLY cleanse about once every 2 or 3 days. and i spot treat pimples w/ BP. like i said before im getting dry skin and i'm afraid it will start clogging pores. i am going to start doing a baking soda exfoliation + apple cider vinegar treatment once every week or two.

here is a Very Bad Thing though since I started this.. I am getting way more blackheads. Any remedy for THAT?????

cheers guys..

erica

So my skin has been looking fantastic lately! Havent been able to update lately cause been moving. Anyway yeah looking much much better, healing and drying up significantly!!!

However, yesterday I started getting more pimples.. I think i'm breaking out! I'm getting my period! Eff you period!

Hangin in there.. hope it will not be too bad. Heard taking 2 tums before bed regulates acid on your skin so gonna do that while I'm in hormonal breakout mode.

My biggest realization in this is SIMPLIFICATION is better and hardly messing with your skin at all is BEST. Without a doubt! at least for my age group.

i now GENTLY cleanse about once every 2 or 3 days. and i spot treat pimples w/ BP. like i said before im getting dry skin and i'm afraid it will start clogging pores. i am going to start doing a baking soda exfoliation + apple cider vinegar treatment once every week or two.

here is a Very Bad Thing though since I started this.. I am getting way more blackheads. Any remedy for THAT?????

cheers guys..

erica

Wow I just came across these do nothing threads and am intrigued! although i don't think I would be able to stop wearing makeup to work daily :shifty:

cheers guys..

erica

Wow I just came across these do nothing threads and am intrigued! although i don't think I would be able to stop wearing makeup to work daily :shifty:

HEY THERE!! havent updated in a while. I definitely still wear makeup but NOT on days when I'm not going out or seeing ppl i know. only when necessary. (its mineral mkup. much better)

here's a quick update. not washing my face=very bad for me.

yes, i now cleanse (so very very gently) with a super gentle cleaner. washing with JUST water is DRYING. and worse than doing nothing. yes.

i want to be off BP. and i am. so this is still my preferred method. if you are ok with BP that is cool for u.. i am just sick of putting chemicals on my skin every single morning and night for always and forever.

BUT there are consequences. more breakouts for a while. my skin is no longer smooooth. blackheads are a big problem now for me. BUT i hardly EVER get big painful cystic pimples and pimples do heal much faster!!!

still. my skin sucks. and is more blotchy-i honestly believe BP was bleaching these red spots. i am combatting this with natural facial masks in the evening. yogurt and manuka honey masks. egg whites and lemon mask. fresh aloe vera. all so awesome! this is a new thing i've been doing and i've seen a lot of improvement.

i think with this method patience is key. it's been two months since i have kicked BP. i'm going to hang on and believe that my skin will finally heal itself.

and get this.. ever since i started affirmations (eg: i'm beautiful. i have healthy skin. my skin is clear and lovely..") things have really improved!! sounds crazy but TRY it!!

MOST IMPORTANTLY DONT PICK SQUEEZE TOUCH your face!! arhghggh. i have a bad habit of this. it ALWAYS makes things so much worse!!! like if it's one lone little guy, ok whatever. i get it. but it gets addictive.. you start with one and before u know it popped 6!! dont do it!! seriously suffering the consequences of this from last night. don't. do. it.

don't touch your face. leave it alone. be gentle gentle gentle. and try to just relax. that is my advice.

i always mean to be brief and then end up writing so much.. sorry.. please ask any questions if you've got em!! i am hoping i will soon update this forum with news of great improvements in my skin!

oh yeah i also use a moisturizer. rare minerals. all natural. dry skin=bad

cheeeeers

erica

ps: best website and lady that really helped me with this going all natural thing: http://www.the-clearest-skin-ever.com/

signing up is FREE. check out the videos!! makes so much sense..

Edited by Being

for info purposes: i did the castor oil thing again last night, dabbed my two biggest pimples w. BP. and this morning, castor oil too.. nothing else... but might just cave to the bp for today. gonna pick up some sulfur on the spot treatment probably.. that healed me quick in the past.. at least its not bp. ahhh, im just depressed.

I noticed earlier you said you bought "regular" castor oil, I can't say that is what made you break out but I'm almost positive it wouldn't have helped.

Of the different qualities for oils there are usually something in the name along the lines of "virgin", "extra virgin", "fine" or "light".

Regular oil with no prefix or "light" usually means that the taste and acidity were chemically controlled.

What you want is cold-pressed for castor oil or extra-virgin in other oils like olive oil. EV meaning that the oil was taken from the first press and is the best quality.

So basically maybe the stuff you bought was of lesser quality and was more comedogenic.

Edited by nyz17

I noticed earlier you said you bought "regular" castor oil, I can't say that is what made you break out but I'm almost positive it wouldn't have helped.

Of the different qualities for oils there are usually something in the name along the lines of "virgin", "extra virgin", "fine" or "light".

Regular oil with no prefix or "light" usually means that the taste and acidity were chemically controlled.

What you want is cold-pressed for castor oil or extra-virgin in other oils like olive oil. EV meaning that the oil was taken from the first press and is the best quality.

So basically maybe the stuff you bought was of lesser quality and was more comedogenic.

it is actually cold pressed.. reads on the bottle: "pure cold pressed top quality oil"

i'd like to report a great improvement on my skin.. so much more needs to happen but a great leap! yay! but the BAD news is.. dont know WHY.. my NECK has started breaking out!!! my neck! it never ever ever has before (or at least like a rare stray pimple yknow?) Right now it's really horrible :( i don't get it. i've tried to think why in the world my neck has started breaking out.. i am not doing anything different to it.. no weird neck braces.. no different treatment.. no perfume or lotions.. i just don't get it. so annnoying. :(