Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Just some ideas I thought I'd throw out there and see what happens....

The biggest influence in today's society is the media. And what is the media "selling" us these days? That to be valued in our society, you must meet their standards of physical beauty. Everywhere you look, on TV, in magazines, in movies, all you see is beautiful, sculpted bodies with perfect skin, the whitest teeth, and never-out-of-place hair. It has been pounded into us that we should look like that, and if we don't then we are not desireable or good. People are really starting to believe that, and they are flocking to every new fad diet, miracle drug, and even surgery, to live up to the impossible standard of perfection. We even have extreme makeover reality TV. This is a sad, disturbing trend.

Perhaps we need to reconsider who we allow the media to portray as role models in our society. The evidence of what we love can be seen in the bank: Who makes the big bucks? Is it teachers? Farmers? Police and Fire people? Small business owners? Never. What about doctors, writers, physicists, or professors? They're doing better, but you won't be seeing any of them on MTV Cribs. No, the people who are at the top of the bankroll are entertainers.

Do we really want our girls to look up to Britney Spears or Jessica Simpson? Do we want our boys to idolize sports stars that can't even stay sober and out of jail? These people may have money and good looks, and even a little talent, but shouldn't we be demanding more for our kids and for ourselves? What about integrity? Intelligence? Industry? Call me crazy, but I want to see children idolize scientists, writers, architects, painters, doctors, and humanitarians, not pop stars, basketball players, and TV personalities. I want to see kids aspire to intelligence, not notoriety. And I want people to feel their value from the inside, not the outside.

Anyone who has suffered from acne should be able to relate to this on the most personal level. We've all had some experience of feeling shunned, judged, or mistreated because of our outward appearance. People dismiss you based on what they see, and never discover what you have to offer as a person. At the same time, that "attractive" person who mistreated you might be considered very "popular" or "successful" by others. Why is that? How can society value someone who looks pretty, but acts so ugly? And how can they pass over others who are so beautiful inside just because they have a physical challenge on the outside?

We are sqeezing the mind right out of our society, and the future will be filled with very beautiful, very stupid people making the all the decisions.

thank you for this well written post. i agree with you wholeheartedly. unfortunately, another part of me is brainwashed. as a 20 year old girl, i cant help but feel a need to be "beautiful" to be accepted. i grew up being taught to place a great emphasis on looks. i was considered a pretty girl and always thought that my looks would make the greatest impression. luckily, im starting to realize with more clarity each day that personality is muchmore important. everyone is going be ugly and wrinkly one day. those who value physical beauty so much are doomed to be depressed when they age.

a couple of books that i had read pretty much turned my life around in viewing this "beauty pursuit"

-beauty bound by rita freedman

-the beauty myth by naomi wolf

very interesting and insightful books.

i KNOW that personality is much more important, but i need to get it through my head.. because deep down i still yearn too much for beauty.

so true.

whats sad to me is, if you take away the thousand dollar clothes, layers of make up, and perhaps some photo doctoring, then these are for the most part, everyday, normal looking people. we are striving for the unattainable.

if we all had our own personal stylists and make up artists, we could look just as good....

my pet hate is those dumb high school shows, where you are lucky to see so much as a freckle, even on the 'dorky' characters! not that imperfection should make you an outcast, but you know what im talking about!! in real life, girls and guys (well maybe just the girls) would be writing his/her name in cursive all over their notepad and fantasising about their wedding with this person.

i admire the naturally gorgeous people....but i dont think they are any better than me.

We were all raised to have a pre-set image of what an ideal person would look like. Anything different is considered unattractive.

I used to be what one might consider "attractive", but after acne raped my face and left scars, people think other wise.

People who havn't seen me in three years have distanced their selves from me, or i think i have distanced my self from them, because I do not want to be perceived as unnatractive.

I agree with a lot of the points you made, and think there is something wrong in a society where a pop star or footballer earns more than a brain surgeon, but I guess it's just life, and that will never change. People value entertainment highly, they always will do, so entertainers will always have huge salaries. Children don't have a chance to see Scientists and Architects on TV everyday, and they're not considered cool. It's usually the 'nerdy' kid who wants to be an Astronomer at the age of 8, whilst others dream of the money and status of being able to play football like Owen, or whatever.

Luckly when children grow older, they start to make up their own minds about what they consider to be important. Yeah, when I was 10 I wanted to be Geri Halliwell and bought a union jack dress....*cough*, but now I want to be an Archeologist (might still wear the dress occasionally biggrin.gif). Entertainment affects younger generations - but I don't think it's permanent, it's just because when you're young, you sort of believe what you see. It's true that the inner you should always be more important, but from the huge amount of posters on this acne messageboard - it's obvious appearances are very important. We all want to look the best we can, and I have to say that even though I want my children to be clever and successful, being attractive does help you get by in life because of the way our society is.

Do we really want our girls to look up to Britney Spears or Jessica Simpson?

uhhh yeah... :whistle:

Thank you lisabee for your insightful ideas. They are right on target. The only thing I would add to it is that the media have stooped to its lowest point with the new reality shows like extreme makeover and the Swan. These shows only further reinforce the concept that if you have imperfections your life can be transformed if you are remade to conform with what society deems to be beautiful; clear skin, big boobs, high checkbones, a well proportioned face, a trim body, well styled hair, a good makeup job, and fashionalble attire.

The worst part is that I almost applied to Extreme Makeover myself because I too believe that beauty will help me to succeed and lead to eternal happiness. I too have been brainwashed.

i know im probably bitter, but i dislike the people who are considered good looking by society.

it's sickening to see dumb guys fawning all over girls who think they are god's gift to the earth. those 'good looking' people are the ones who always were the first to ridicule me about acne. to hell with them.

so yeah, im much more attracted to brains than 'beauty'. i wish all of those jessica simpson wanna-bes would take their tight jeans and revealing shirts and go jump off a cliff. the world would be a better place.

Yeah, that's a . . .little. . .bitter, Walter

I think I'm slightly above average looking, with a body that I'm working into something people will envy. You might feel better if you work on your body, since we can't do too much about are looks without plastic surgery, and I'm far too sane for that.

As for brains, I have nothing to worry about. Aside from my intellect, I grew up an ugly duckling so I had to develop a good personality to attract people. Now that my body is coming into its own and my face is growing more attractive, I'm well on my way, and I'm sure most others could be too if they work at it.

Moping around being bitter doesn't work, I tried it. You feel and lok good when you do something about it (again, not plastic surgery!)

And, lastly, I agree whole-heartedly. The vast majority of genetically gifted people don't understand their luck of the draw, just like we don't understand how lucky we are to not be born in a "3rd world" country. That's the nature of people.

'beauty' is a relative term. what most people consider 'beauty', i consider superficial and annoying. (i.e. jessica simpson and her hordes of wannabes at any local mall)

the most beautiful women ive ever known probably wouldnt get a second glance from the vast majority of men.

'beauty' is a relative term.  what most people consider 'beauty', i consider superficial and annoying. (i.e. jessica simpson and her hordes of wannabes at any local mall)