Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
S a r a

My log -- Claravis 80 mg/day

Hey everyone!

So I have been reading everyone else's logs and I thought I should start one of my own. Everyone seems so nice!

My name is Sara. I'm 22 years old and I have had acne for about 10 years. I have tried Proactiv, prescription face washes, Retin-A, Differin, Doxycycline, and Bactrim. Bactrim seemed to be clearing up my breakouts, but after almost 2 weeks of being on it I developed an AWFUL allergic reaction and had to get a steroid shot and take steroid pills.

I'm currently on day 3 of Claravis. I take 80 mg a day (40 mg in the morning and 40 mg in the evening). I'm so excited to finally be starting the treatment! I have been waiting over a year for this! I don't know many people who have been on it, so I thought I would come here to talk to everyone about it.

My face has already started to dry out a little and my muscles were kinda achy today, but I can't really complain. I'm just dreading the initial breakout - ugh!

I'm hopeful, though. I'm really excited to see the finished product in about 6 months :)

I'm still getting used to everything here and hopefully I will have better posts in the future, lol.

Gl with your treatment. I too used Bactrim and had an allergic reaction to it, scary stuff. Im about to be 2 months in on my accutane(claravis) treatment and i had the same dosage as you the first month. I got extra oily at first then like 2 weeks into it I wasnt oily any more. Hopefully you wont get an IB.

I dont wanna discourage you but yes I did during the 2nd week and got acne in places I've never had it. My dosage was upped from 80/day to 120/day for my 2nd month and I'm breaking out from that right now but I expect it to get worse before it gets better.

I dont wanna discourage you but yes I did during the 2nd week and got acne in places I've never had it. My dosage was upped from 80/day to 120/day for my 2nd month and I'm breaking out from that right now but I expect it to get worse before it gets better.

It's okay, I don't think anything could discourage me at this point! I've had bad breakouts my entire life so I think I'm prepared for an IB if it occurs (but still hoping it doesn't!)

Hey Sara,

It's always nice to see new people on the boards. I really hope your course goes well. I see you're on your.. third day..? Hm. The initial breakout.. Don't worry about it.. The more you "purge" the better the medication is working out for you!

Don't worry about it.. But be prepared! : )

Good luck!<3

So today is day 4.

My skin is really starting to dry out. It sucks because I have a cold and I'm constantly blowing my nose, which is just irritating the skin around my nose even more. Moisturizer is definitely a good friend of mine today.

I've also noticed a few new pimples. Trying my best to ignore them...

So I guess I should give some more background information...might as well give people something to read, right?

I'm makeup obsessed. And when I say obsessed, I mean that I can count on one hand the number of people who have seen me without makeup in the past few years. I'm the kind of girl who puts concealer, foundation, and blush on to go pump gas in my car. Letting the world see my skin for what it truly is has NEVER been an option. I carry makeup with me wherever I go, just in case it starts to wear off mid-day and some of my acne starts to shine through. It's annoying and a hassle, but it's what I'm used to. I wonder what it will be like not to have to worry about that anymore... And going swimming? OMG I can't wait to just JUMP in a pool without worrying about who will be looking at my face. I get so excited just thinking about it.

Pretty much all of my friends have perfect skin, so not many of them understand what I've been going through. I also have a few of the friends that tell little white lies to try to make me feel better. Don't tell me that I don't need the makeup or that this massive zit on my head isn't noticeable. I just want to be able to stop worrying constantly about what my face looks like. It's exhausting.

Kimberly -- Thanks for the encouragement! It is so helpful!

I can entirely agree with you when it comes to the friend thing. My friends have PERFECT skin. One of my friends has such clear skin that it makes me sick. The other day she had one tiny zit on her face and started saying how she had a "beard full of ugly zits". God I was so mad. I'm the one with cystic acne all over my jaw...or a "beard of ugly zits" as she puts it.

I hate the white lies too. The bumps are so OBVIOUS. I can't stand it when they say that "they can't really tell at all!" Uh huhhh...suuuureeee...

Hang in there with the accutane! I can't wait until I'm on it. :)

I can entirely agree with you when it comes to the friend thing. My friends have PERFECT skin. One of my friends has such clear skin that it makes me sick. The other day she had one tiny zit on her face and started saying how she had a "beard full of ugly zits". God I was so mad. I'm the one with cystic acne all over my jaw...or a "beard of ugly zits" as she puts it.

I hate the white lies too. The bumps are so OBVIOUS. I can't stand it when they say that "they can't really tell at all!" Uh huhhh...suuuureeee...

Hang in there with the accutane! I can't wait until I'm on it. :)

I know -- It's so annoying! My best friend got ONE zit last week and was flipping out. I just glared at her, haha.

When are you starting Accutane? Do you know yet? It's definitely an interesting experience. It's great to be able to talk to everyone here. It makes me feel less alone :)

I hoooope to start Accutane in a week or so. It just takes forever to get it with all the bloodwork and stuff!

Haha and yeah this place seems to be pretty awesome for that. Even more so when we're all stuck with flawless friends who don't understand!

Edited by mercyunbound

I just finished day 11 of claravis at 80mg/day. I haven't noticed real dry skin yet, just dry lips. I have noticed a lot more pimples and 2 (large) cysts over these first several days. I'll probably be at the derm monday or tues to get these cysts injected lol.. My acne is stuborn i don't get too many pimples, i just get cysts and their not what most people on here call cysts which are small, mine tend to be extremely large and unbearable in the mirror. I also am hoping accutane helps my acne out... I have had acne since high school im 22 now also.. It was bad in high school then got better for my first 3 years of college, and the past 1.5 years its been miserable with the cysts popping up every month or so.

Good Luck with your treatment.

mercyunbound -- Yea, the entire process of getting started seems to take forever. I'm excited for you to start your treatment! I want to know how it goes!

caut1on -- Most of the cysts I have had have been relatively small, but I've had a few large ones. They are awful - I feel your pain! I'm glad to hear from others on the same dosage as me. Good luck as well!

Leajer424 -- All of your comments were so helpful! I appreciate any tips I can get. I don't really know anyone else who has gone through this, so any information I get on here helps me a TON! Good luck on your second round. Hopefully this will be the last one :)

So today is day 4.

My skin is really starting to dry out. It sucks because I have a cold and I'm constantly blowing my nose, which is just irritating the skin around my nose even more. Moisturizer is definitely a good friend of mine today.

I've also noticed a few new pimples. Trying my best to ignore them...

So I guess I should give some more background information...might as well give people something to read, right?

I'm makeup obsessed. And when I say obsessed, I mean that I can count on one hand the number of people who have seen me without makeup in the past few years. I'm the kind of girl who puts concealer, foundation, and blush on to go pump gas in my car. Letting the world see my skin for what it truly is has NEVER been an option. I carry makeup with me wherever I go, just in case it starts to wear off mid-day and some of my acne starts to shine through. It's annoying and a hassle, but it's what I'm used to. I wonder what it will be like not to have to worry about that anymore... And going swimming? OMG I can't wait to just JUMP in a pool without worrying about who will be looking at my face. I get so excited just thinking about it.

Pretty much all of my friends have perfect skin, so not many of them understand what I've been going through. I also have a few of the friends that tell little white lies to try to make me feel better. Don't tell me that I don't need the makeup or that this massive zit on my head isn't noticeable. I just want to be able to stop worrying constantly about what my face looks like. It's exhausting.

Kimberly -- Thanks for the encouragement! It is so helpful!

Although I dont wear makeup I understand the pressure you feel. Its awful feeling like that. I hope and pray that you see the amazing results from accutane that make it a "Miracle" for those of us dealing with acne. GOOD LUCK

Although I dont wear makeup I understand the pressure you feel. Its awful feeling like that. I hope and pray that you see the amazing results from accutane that make it a "Miracle" for those of us dealing with acne. GOOD LUCK

Thanks so much...that really means a lot to me! I have to admit, I've always been thankful that I'm a girl struggling with acne and not a guy. At least I have the makeup to hide under, as weird as that sounds.

Good luck and I wish the best for you too! I'll be sure to check in on you soon.

Day 5.

Not a lot of new, fun stuff to report. Same dryness. Used some eyedrops today & was constantly putting on chapstick.

Not looking forward to tomorrow. I am working 2 jobs at the moment to pay for my last semester of school and one of my jobs is at a grooming salon. I love animals and have worked with them for years at kennels and vets, but there is one main thing I do not like about working at the grooming salon - water. I can put on my full face of makeup in the morning (and I do, of course), but by the time I am halfway through my 8.5 hour shift I look like a drowned raccoon...with acne. I'm constantly getting splashed and sweating and that all adds up to a lot of runny makeup. I'm constantly looking in the mirror at work at my sweaty face, messed up hair, running mascara, and my wonderful (bright red, from the heat) pimples. I won't let friends visit me at work because I don't want them to see the monster that I become. It's bad.

Also, I've realized that a lot of people think I'm younger than I am. I'm guessing this is from the acne. When you are old enough to legally drink people assume that you will no longer have acne, I guess. I had 3 separate people ask me in August if I was excited about starting college. Then I would have to explain to them that no, I'm not that excited seeing as how it is my 5th semester. Apparently I look like I'm 17. Great.

Enough ranting. I really should get to bed so I can wake up and primp before my day of *luxury* at the grooming salon...

good luck sara! You are just one day ahead of me on a similarly high dose. Know what you mean about having a cold,I have too and its not helping my nose much!

Lip balm, aint it great, getting used to been a girl again, but I don't care if it stops them chapping so much.

Martin

Congrats on starting! We're on similar time frames, but you've got double the dose. I am admittedly tiny (5'0"). So, as you can imagine, I understand your plight. That is, the plight of looking way younger than you are. And yeah, I ascribe some of it to acne. I look young anyway, zits do not help. But I find that it is mostly people who are insecure about their own age and their own bullshit that comment on omg how young I look to the point of making me uncomfortable. If all you have "over" me is how much older you are (and look) than me... well... I hate that for you.

And I too look much better when I start the day than when I end it. Oh well. At least we're doing something about it.

Have you taken "before"pictures? Even if you don't share them here, they help if you use them just for your own purposes.

Good luck! I'll be keeping up with you.

Congrats on starting! We're on similar time frames, but you've got double the dose. I am admittedly tiny (5'0"). So, as you can imagine, I understand your plight. That is, the plight of looking way younger than you are. And yeah, I ascribe some of it to acne. I look young anyway, zits do not help. But I find that it is mostly people who are insecure about their own age and their own bullshit that comment on omg how young I look to the point of making me uncomfortable. If all you have "over" me is how much older you are (and look) than me... well... I hate that for you.

And I too look much better when I start the day than when I end it. Oh well. At least we're doing something about it.

Have you taken "before"pictures? Even if you don't share them here, they help if you use them just for your own purposes.

Good luck! I'll be keeping up with you.

LOL, I'm 5'10" and people still think I'm 17!

But thanks for the encouragement. I'll be keeping up with you as well. I truly appreciate it.

I think I'm going to take "before" pics tomorrow (even though it will be day 7). I want to share them on here, but I'm having a hard time dealing with the entire thought of people seeing my raw face. I'll eventually get over it, it might just take some time. Hopefully soon I will have pictures. I guess if everyone else is brave enough to do it, I should be that brave as well.

Hope all is going well with you :)

It's Day 9.

My skin is miserable.

Here is a quick overview of Day 8 -- Yesterday was when the dryness REALLY kicked in. I blew my nose when I woke up and had a wonderful discovery...BLOOD! It wasn't much and I didn't really panic because I heard that could happen on Accutane. My lips were a mess. I was carrying chapstick, Carmex, and Aquaphor around with me all day and nothing seemed to really help. Anything I put on my lips had soaked in within 10 minutes and then I would find myself reapplying. I went home and tried to get some of the dead skin off of my lips, but they burned. I washed with Cetaphil, put some Cetaphil moisturizer on, and put Aquaphor on my lips before I went to bed.

Okay, so today, Day 9...

I woke up and my face looked like it hadn't seen moisturizer in weeks. It was red and peeling (especially around my nostrils, mouth, and chin...this has been my problem area). My nose bled a little today too, but barely.

I showered and my shampoo BURNED! I guess it's time to switch to Head & shoulders. I started to notice some flaky skin & dandruff when I was blowdrying and straightening my hair.

I washed, moisturized (twice), and put on some Aquaphor before doung my makeup this morning. I had a pretty bad break out this weekend, but my skin seems to be calming down (I hope). My only issue is that I pick at my skin. Awful, I know, but it's kinda an addiction. I'm working on it. Since my skin is so dry, I get scabs whenever I mess with it. Must stop. Must stop now.

So now I'm sitting at work (job #2, my office job). My face is very itchy. I keep checking to see how it looks on my webcam, haha.

I just need to push through all of this miserable dryness. I won't give up.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Edited by S a r a

Ouch.... sorry you're having a rough time. Those 80mgs are killer. Chopsaver has been completely solid for me with keeping my lips moisturized and soft. If your lips are cracking, Aquaphor is probably the thing to use, but if they're ever in a good place again (here's hoping), you might give it a try. But I am on half your dosage, so who knows?

I hope your dryness lets up soon!

Hang in there. I'm on 80mg too and that first month about did me in. Nothing I used on my face would stop the flaking and peeling. My lips cracked and bled at the corners - it was awful. Fortunately, the side effects level off and become more manageable. I just started my third month and have only minimal flakiness on my face. My lips are another story. I put on Aquaphor before I shower and then use a washcloth to gently rub the flaking skin off. Then I slather them with Aquaphor again when I'm done.

If your lips start to crack (mine tend to this in the corners), use some hydrocortisone cream on them. Clears it right up. Good luck!

Thanks for keeping your log up to date Sara, it keeps telling me what to expect in less than 2 days from where I am at!

I feel sorry for you, I know what it's like.

I still have lips at the mo but I am using nuetragena 6 hour moisturiser every half an hour and it still disappears before I know it! I know they will crack up but just keep trying.

(E45 Shampoo is amazing for stopping the dryness of your scalp I have found so far)

Martin