Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
venam

Is dairy a trigger for me? Need your opinion

About 5 months ago I changed to a paleo diet(meat, fruits, nuts, and vegs), and I have not consumed dairy since. Although my acne has improved, I still get cysts often (no more cysts in the body though). Since there are so many changes in the paleo diet, I don't know if dairy plays a role in my acne. I have been wanting to re-introduce dairy in the form of full fat yogurts, cheeses, and milk; but I am afraid it will make things worse.

I have noticed that most of the people that give up dairy get big changes, no longer getting cysts within a few weeks/months of starting. This definitely didn't happen to me. Do you think dairy plays a role in my acne? Should I be afraid of reintroduction?

Dairy *can* play a role in certain people. In fact, there is a new documentary being released in the Spring of 2010 called Got the Facts on Milk? The trailer is here:

http://www.milkdocumentary.com/Site/Home.html

My acne triggers were certain proteins: meat, dairy, eggs, seeds, nuts, beans, tofu, soy, legumes (I think I named all of them), so dairy was among them. Within 10 hours of consuming those foods, I would develop HORRIBLE infections. It would take 8 days for those infections to go away. Protein from whole-grain pasta, high-protein spirulina (sea algae) and protein from vegetables does not bother me at all.

You can read my post out in the main forum about my low-protein diet. You may need to eliminate more foods to see what other factors are causing your acne.

GOOD LUCK!

Edited by Dotty1

hey thanks. Cutting out protein is not an option for me as I have an active life. I wouldn't feel right without eating a good amount of meat.

Anyone else?

Yeah, um I think meat doesn't trigger acne. It's just that person might be eating highly processed meat.

Limit sugar, limit simple carbs.

Literally after a week of doing what I did in my signature. I never had one cyst every again and its been almost 2 months and I've been battling acne for 5 years. Now my face is close to 'perfect'.

Yeah, um I think meat doesn't trigger acne. It's just that person might be eating highly processed meat.

Limit sugar, limit simple carbs.

Literally after a week of doing what I did in my signature. I never had one cyst every again and its been almost 2 months and I've been battling acne for 5 years. Now my face is close to 'perfect'.

Did you read any of what I posted? I follow a diet more strict than what it is in your sig, and I still get cystic acne, that's why I am questioning if dairy is a problem for me.

Edited by venam

You gotta do diet + vitamins/minerals if you want those cysts gone.

Only difference is that I don't take as much chronium as much chronium as you do.

I don't know why people here think that what works for them will work for everyone else.

I recently eliminated dairy from my diet, and I swear my skin has gotten worse. So now I have no idea what to do. I think the worst thing about acne is that one person will get amazing results from something, while another person will break out even more.

ok, I have been drinking 2 cups of yogurt a day, along with about 2-3 ounces of cheese and 2-3 tbsp of butter (all organic, full fat products), for about 3 days. My acne has not gotten worse during these 3 days. Does that mean dairy is not a trigger for me? Or do I have to wait longer for dairy to have an effect on acne? (eliminating dairy for 5 months didn't get me clear, that's why I am trying to see if dairy actually plays a part in my acne or not)

I have re-introduced dairy in the form of organic, full fat, yogurt, cheese, and butter. How long is it supposed to take until I get a bad break-out? (I never got clear by eliminating it, so I will still get a break out nonetheless, but this would be worse if dairy was a factor for me, right?). It has been about 4 days and everything seems the same. Do you think dairy is a factor to me or does it just take longer?

Thanks.

I don't think dairy is the factor some people say it is. At least not for me it wasn't

I went through a phase where i avoided all dairy, wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. But now i have dairy quite a bit and it makes no difference. I think its important to remember the health benefits it gives, the calcium and stuff in it is good stuff and looking back on my avoiding of dairy, i start to wonder why i bothered trying to cut it.

About 5 months ago I changed to a paleo diet(meat, fruits, nuts, and vegs), and I have not consumed dairy since. Although my acne has improved, I still get cysts often (no more cysts in the body though). Since there are so many changes in the paleo diet, I don't know if dairy plays a role in my acne. I have been wanting to re-introduce dairy in the form of full fat yogurts, cheeses, and milk; but I am afraid it will make things worse.

I have noticed that most of the people that give up dairy get big changes, no longer getting cysts within a few weeks/months of starting. This definitely didn't happen to me. Do you think dairy plays a role in my acne? Should I be afraid of reintroduction?

I would try and eliminate fruit from the diet. I remember reading that insulin stimulates the production of IGF-1 which aggravates acne so cutting out fruit and hence carbs might be an option. I would consider going on a low carb, high fat diet to treat a possible case of fatty liver. Apparently fructose is the main contributor of fatty liver. Remember, fat is really good for you!

I don't think dairy is the factor some people say it is. At least not for me it wasn't

I went through a phase where i avoided all dairy, wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. But now i have dairy quite a bit and it makes no difference. I think its important to remember the health benefits it gives, the calcium and stuff in it is good stuff and looking back on my avoiding of dairy, i start to wonder why i bothered trying to cut it.

Dairy actually doesn't have much calcium in it.... that's a by product of modern day marketing brain washing you.

You can get much more calcium from broccoli than dairy. There aren't many health benefits compared to cons in modern day dairy. Then consider all the hormones that are pumped into these cows and it becomes clear why dairy is a problem for many people.

PANIC

Okay well I haven't gotten a cyst in a while. I never had severe acne, I literally would only get 3-4 cysts a month, almost always on my forehead. My problem was, something I was eating was causing inflammation. I cut out dairy but I'm not sure if that's what did it. I mean, my life style right now is the healthiest it's ever been. I guess my results are just a by product of how I'm living. Now if it weren't for these persistent red marks :naughty:.