Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TML

Major Depressive Disorder Diagnosis

Hi,

I'm currently in my 3rd year of university, majoring in Psychology and i took a course last year that covered mental health disorders, including depression of course. I feel that I could be diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder as I have most of the symptoms and its persisted for a long time as well.

This relates to acne because, if acne is causing my depression (which i am certain it is because i've only been depressed since i started having trouble with my acne) then how do you treat the depression? If I will always be depressed as long as my acne is still there, then how can i be cured?

I've been on every acne medication possible, including accutane and I still feel terrible about myself, unworthy, and all the rest. I've also had therapies to reduce scarring which has done nothing for me either. I get panic attacks that result in my skin getting itchy and red just by people looking at me when I speak in small groups during classes.

Sorry for getting away from the topic, but my general question is:

How does someone conquer depression, if the reason they are depressed (acne/scarring) will never go away despite all attempts possible to get rid of it?

Hi,

I'm currently in my 3rd year of university, majoring in Psychology and i took a course last year that covered mental health disorders, including depression of course. I feel that I could be diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder as I have most of the symptoms and its persisted for a long time as well.

This relates to acne because, if acne is causing my depression (which i am certain it is because i've only been depressed since i started having trouble with my acne) then how do you treat the depression? If I will always be depressed as long as my acne is still there, then how can i be cured?

I've been on every acne medication possible, including accutane and I still feel terrible about myself, unworthy, and all the rest. I've also had therapies to reduce scarring which has done nothing for me either. I get panic attacks that result in my skin getting itchy and red just by people looking at me when I speak in small groups during classes.

Sorry for getting away from the topic, but my general question is:

How does someone conquer depression, if the reason they are depressed (acne/scarring) will never go away despite all attempts possible to get rid of it?

I am also a psychology major, and have had a similar experience in "diagnosing" myself. It's actually commonly referred to as Medical Student Syndrome, "a condition frequently reported in medical students, who perceive themselves or others to be experiencing the symptoms of the disease(s) they are studying (Wiki). Don't take this the wrong way, but I must say that given your current undergrad status, you are in no position to diagnose anyone, including yourself. You are not a licensed counselor, psychologist, or a psychiatrist.

If you suspect you have depression, or find yourself unable to function, please talk to a professional.

As far as your question:

In my opinion, the answer to your question would be to gradually come to a realization that is indeed possible to still live a normal, healthy, and happy life *regardless* of your acne.

PS: What are your plans as a psych major?

Edited by Oh_yesterday_came_suddenly