Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spider Crab

When will my acne clear up?

Hi all, this is my first post on these forums but I've used this site as a guide for a long time.

I figured it's about time to post my personal experiences and get personalized responses to my situation.

Anyway, I realize this is a super-vague question, but I'm just looking for a ballpark estimate.

I'm currently 19 years old (boy) and have moderate acne. I've never had a cyst or nodule, but there aren't really any clear parts of my face, which is why I'm saying it's moderate.

I've used many treatments over the years, Duac to Tazerac to Differin, all while using a BP wash in the shower. Currently I'm using Differin at night, BP wash in the shower, and 150mg Doryx (doxycycline antibiotic) pills daily. Some treatments make it a little better, but then the bacteria usually adapts to the treatment and it regresses after a few weeks.

Needless to say, acne sucks and I'm sick of it. It's a social bottleneck and a huge hassle to have to maintain all these treatments, but again I'm sure all of you know this. :boohoo:

My question is when will my acne start to clear up with adulthood? I know some adults still get acne, but from what I've read it's usually the people who had severe (cystic/nodules) acne as a teenager that still have it.

I was a bit of a late bloomer; I just stopped growing a few months ago and my facial hair still has pretty low hair density.

It is impossible to say, might go in a few years or a few decades. Not trying to depress you, but that is the way it is. If you have a family history of acne, then that might give you clues as to when your acne might disappear. In the meantime, I would go on Dan's regime to treat your acne which should give you clear skin.

So even with mild/moderate acne, it can still continue into adulthood?

It was my understanding that post-adolescence acne is usually a continuation of severe acne during adolescence.