Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Could Be Worse

What could be the cause?

So ive been using the regimen for quiet some time now and it has no affect on my cysitc acne.

But ive been wondering what could be the cause of MY cystic acne since everyone is different.

Also i have heard that wisdom teeth can cause cystic acne if they get infected?

Plus what is also very weird for me is my cystic acne is symetrical, i have like 4-5 cystic acne on each side of my mouth. About 2-3 cystic acne following each of my jaw lines. About a cluster of 4 on each of my cheeks. And about 1 on each side of my face just infront of my ear.

Also why dont i get cystic acne on my forehead? Is it because the skin layer is too thin there ?

And my cystic acne is worst on my neck. I have like clusters of 7-8 Cystic acne on my neck all in the same spot, but on both sides.

So im beginning to think it is to do with my diet. Definately i just cant find out what is causing it.

I have been told that Dairy is bad because of the hormones left in the products for the cows and such. I have been told that sugar is bad for acne because it causes ur insulin to spike and that makes more hormones. I have been told that processed foods with all the preservatives and such are bad.

And now i have also been told that fruit which i thought was good for me isnt exactly the way nature inteded it to be. We have been selectfully growing fruit so they get bigger and sweeter.

So is it possible that the high sugar content in todays fruit can also cause acne? Because of the spike of insulin causing an increase in hormones?

I just get so confused when it comes to the cause of my acne. I know some of it is genes but come on there has to be something i can do.

WHY ARE THERE SO MANY CAUSES TO ACNE.

What i am sure of though is that my body is not happy with whats in it. And acne is the result of that.

Please share some thoughts and tell me what is true and what is false

So ive been using the regimen for quiet some time now and it has no affect on my cysitc acne.

But ive been wondering what could be the cause of MY cystic acne since everyone is different.

Plus what is also very weird for me is my cystic acne is symetrical, i have like 4-5 cystic acne on each side of my mouth. About 2-3 cystic acne following each of my jaw lines. About a cluster of 4 on each of my cheeks. And about 1 on each side of my face just infront of my ear.

Also why dont i get cystic acne on my forehead? Is it because the skin layer is too thin there ?

And my cystic acne is worst on my neck. I have like clusters of 7-8 Cystic acne on my neck all in the same spot, but on both sides.

So im beginning to think it is to do with my diet. Definately i just cant find out what is causing it.

I have been told that Dairy is bad because of the hormones left in the products for the cows and such. I have been told that sugar is bad for acne because it causes ur insulin to spike and that makes more hormones. I have been told that processed foods with all the preservatives and such are bad.

And now i have also been told that fruit which i thought was good for me isnt exactly the way nature inteded it to be. We have been selectfully growing fruit so they get bigger and sweeter.

So is it possible that the high sugar content in todays fruit can also cause acne? Because of the spike of insulin causing an increase in hormones?

I just get so confused when it comes to the cause of my acne. I know some of it is genes but come on there has to be something i can do.

What i am sure of though is that my body is not happy with whats in it. And acne is the result of that.

I too have similar symetry with my cysts. As for wisdom teeth, the only infection I've really heard of is dry socket. But keep researching.

I have been battling cystic acne for 5 years and still haven't found "the cause". Everyone's genetic makeup is so incredibly different that one thing that works for some may not work for all.

As for not having them on your forehead, you're lucky. No, the skin isn't too thin. I'm walking talking proof it's not. My forehead looks like the Rocky mountains painted red.

I believe diet and stress can manipulate hormones, but I am still not convinced that they are the cause. I know people suffering that have turned into vegans and it doesn't help! If it was the cause, everyone who eats a poor diet, fruit, or drinks milk would have acne problems and that's not true now, is it? Bodies just have a different way of reacting.

Keep eating fruit. Yes, they do pump steroids and chemicals into just about everything we eat now - but the good vitamins and nutrients outweigh the bad.

I have come to realize that there is no direct CAUSE, no direct CURE, and no answer in black and white. Sometimes acne or cysts are an external warning that your body sends off because there is an internal problem. Could be hormonal? There are hormone pills out there...

The thing that makes me really mad is that dermatologists seem to think that throwing antibiotics at you and creams is the answer. Shouldn't they be looking for the root cause rather than just a quick fix? Of course not, then you would be "cured" and you wouldn't need to see them and give them your money next month..and next...

None of this has worked for me.(sigh) I've had cortisone injections, been on every kind of antibiotic out there, and tried all the FDA approved creams on the market. My skin will clear up for 9 months and then in the fall (every year) it will flare up again.

Enough about me- what I suggest is that you make like a timeline of all the medications you've taken, changes in diet, stress (events in your life), and anything else you've tried- if it's worked, if it's made it worse..etc. then look for trends and recurrences. You may need some blood work done and possibly a biopsy of a cyst to see what's going on in your body. I wish you the best of luck!!! I made a timeline myself and am taking it to the Cleveland Clinic (Very good hospital!!) and hopefully they will finally end the cycle for me. I know it's painful, ugly, and a long road, but it makes us stronger, and way more humble human beings=)

Thanks alot for sharing, i believe you are right. You pretty much summarised what i was trying to express. I had thought about keeping a timeline but the problem there is way too many variables that you would need alot of people keeping very detailed diaries. I think i just have to accept my acne and see if it goes away or not and adapt to that.

Man it's so weird because I have the same situation as you. Jawline acne. I have very severe acne on each side of my mouth/neck. I feel like I cleared up a lot on the rest of my face, but I don't get cystic acne anywhere else beside these areas! It's weird to because I was reading about maybe the effect of dental issues. I have removed my top wisdom teeth, but not my bottom ones. I also do not go to the dentist very often and I don't take good care of my teeth. I brought this up to my mom just a few minutes ago (so coincidental) and she said that she was a nurse and 100% it cant' be become of my teeth. I don't know though.

I lost so much weight because I've been on strict diets for last couple of months. I've seen slight improvement, but my severe acne just keeps coming back. So I am in the same shoes as you my friend. At least we both are getting closer to finding the root cause. There is hope and we will find it. I decided that I am going to get a blood/food allergy/ hormone test (even though I do not have medical insurance, I will pay for it) on my body to see if it will help me.

Good Luck my friend and let me know if you have found your cure, since we basically have the same issues.

Yes i knew there would be other people in the same boat as me. Its possible that our wisdom tooth are infected and this infection gets into our blood. I also did not look after my teeth that well. So now i am trying to. I also find it very weird how symmetrical my acne is. Infact it is so symmetrical that there are the exact same amount of cystic acne on one side as the other. Which is very weird.

One day in the future they will understand about acne and laugh at us for not finding out the causes haha.

I personally don't see any connection with food and acne. Sure if you eat a ton of chocolate everyday you probably should count on breaking out... but as for other regular things like dairy and fruit... I can't see how eating those things would cause cysts. Cysts are a pretty big deal and aren't just pimples... so I definitely think there is a much deeper cause .. most likely genetics or hormonal imbalances. I suffer from the same problem with cysts though.. i have one on my jawline and another just left of my lip which is fairly large. I also have one on my cheek and I'm on accutane hoping it will kill off these cysts! Have you looked into that? Or maybe some other anti biotic?

I too have had cystic acne for many years and similarly I have been trying to find solutions to cure my acne for several years. I agree that everyone's body is different but here's my two cents on the cause of acne. And this theory holds true in my situation 100%.

I beleive the root cause of acne is due to hormonal imbalance. Period. I think a lot people over look this because it's so easy to blame it on a direct source. For example, when you eat chocolate, or drink milk, or work out, etc. you get acne, therefore must be the root cause. I think the right way to look at it is that eating chocolate, drinking milk, working out, etc. is putting your hormones out of whack which is causing me to break out!

So the question then is not. "How do you cure acne?" but is more a question of "How can you put your hormones in balance"?

On a side note, the reason why I think where are so many causes to acne is because hormones is such a general function to your body. I mean literally anything can cause your hormones to flucuate. Stress, no sleep, diet, working out, pregnancy, menstral cycles, depression, age, poor liver, poor colon, and the list goes on and on. And it is for the same reason why finding a cure for acne is so hard. It could be any one of combination of these things!

Anywho back to my point. For me I strongly believe that acne is a signal telling your body "Something is wrong. You need to fix it!" (check out my story at 'curbyouracne.blogspot.com'). So after doing some research I realized that my body was in a poor standard. Overweight, highly stressed, depressed, always tired, not regular, drank a lot alcohol so poor liver. After learning all of this I decided to go on a detox (colon, lover, kidneys) and learn to manage my stress. And after a month my cystic acne went down substantially. Two months later, even more. Three months later it was even more. I now do a detox once a year to up keep my body and I rarely have breakouts now. In fact I actually notice that I break out when I start increasing my alcohol intake and when I'm really stressed out.

Anyhow I hate to sound like a detox testimonial but that's my two cents.

So if I were to give you advice it would be this.

Get to know what makes your hormones tick. Listen to your body. A good start would be to evaluate your key cleansing functions (Liver, Kidney, Colon). If those are not up to par then I'd get that in check and go from there.

I hope that helped!

Well...the treatment of cystc acne has focused on preventing the symptoms from occuring and not effecting a cure, that's for sure. Like it or not, anti-inflamatroy injections and accutane are the best treatment options with proven track records. It's really very simple. Of course, if you are scared shitless of accutane, and you would rather have big ugly cysts on your face, that is your perogative, but it (accutane) really does help.

The symmetrical placement of lesions in certain cases of cystic acne have been commented upon in professional journals, but no explanation has been pro-offered. There are probably several diseases with the same symptoms that we call cystic acne, or it is a condition that is a delicate interplay between body chemistry (hormones, sebum production etc), nutrition (food allergies that trigger sebum production that allow bacteria to feed) and genetics (hereditary factors in the shedding of cells and release of sebum through the pores are not efficient.

Definitely try a nutritional approach and see if it works. If it does, good for you, but if it doesn't, then fight the symptoms and if your condition warrants it, then go the accutane route. It does bring relief for the majority of users.

All the best,

Joe Zit

Edited by Joe Zit

I totally agree with what you are saying, the underlying cause is hormonal imbalances , but.. if you visit other places around the world and look at there teenagers they have no acne. Why is this? Im not exactly sure but i believe it to be there diet, environment, and there genes. Yes when acne appears it is a sign from your body saying something isn't right , but what isn't right?

I have been eating healthy for quiet some time now. Maybe 8-12 months. I have had absolutely no fizzy drinks, juice, infact the only liquid i drink is water. I dont have any chips or lollies at all. And i try to avoid sugary products and products with carbs in because i believe humans arent designed to eat carbs. I know it may sound like a conspiracy theory but i believe the food pyramid was designed by the agriculture community to boost there consumers. I believe that protein and fat are whats best for us, yet they still criticize fat for the majority of problems. Also carbs may also be a major contributor to my acne. Since carbs break down into simple sugars in the body and this enters the blood stream causing an influx of insulin? Although im not sure since this is just my thoughts :P, Plus i don't want to try accutane because im scared of it. Im just trying to avoid drugs and anything that could possibly cause long term effects.

Eating and drinking unhealthy has little to no effect on acne. I'm wondering why you're assuming people in different countries don't have acne. How could you know? Acne is caused by hormone imbalances. When people go through puberty, some build up a lot of testosterone( a male hormone). Both males and females have testosterone. Males have more of it, that's why they usually get acne worse. When all this testosterone turns into DHT, it is telling your pores to build up all kinds of sebum (oil). If you can stop it turning into DHT, you wont have acne, hair loss, ect. Now everybody has acne bacteria on their body. The only people that get acne though is those who have all that oil on them. This is because this oil is sticky, and it traps the bacteria in your pores, causing inflammation. Almost every antibiotic will clear your face, but not forever. Bacteria is very smart. Antibiotics kill bacteria, but eventually the bacteria can figure out a way to stop the antibiotic from working. This is called bacterial resistance. I was on antibiotics, and each one worked wonders for 2 months, then the resistance came. Some people don't build up that resistance for a year or so, you never know. Good antibiotics for acne are: Doxycycline, amoxicillin/ampicillin, Bactrim, ciprofloxacin(cipro). There are other ones, like erythromycin, clindamycin, but these aren't that good, because they aren't that broad. The other ones I mentioned kil both the gram positive bacteria, along with the gram negative. Clindamycin, erythromycin only kil one or the other. Now back to the hormones. A pill that will not become resistant is Spironolactone(spiro). It won't become resistant, because it doesn't do anything to bacteria, it's not an antibiotic. Spiro is a diuretic that is used for hormone imbalances. It stops the conversion to DHT and brings testosterone to a normal level, which gets rid of all the excess oil. Bacteria can only survive if it has that oi to feed off of. If you don't have that oil, you won't have acne. Spiro is the best pill I recommend. Everyone with acne should try this. The thing is, the acne may get worse before it gets better, but after 3-4 months, you will have clear skin forever. I would just get an antibiotic for those first couple months to keep your face clear. The other drug is accutane, but i don't recommend it. It has a lot of side effects. Spiro does have some too, but not as bad. Look into both of these, see what you think. You should get insurance through a hospital, go to a dermatologist, and ask them about these. Good Luck.

Edited by Buke

Eating and drinking unhealthy has little to no effect on acne.

Just stop right there... I didn't have too read the rest because I think you're an idiot. You are saying over the 100+ Million have only a hormonal imbalance???

Eating and drinking unhealthy has little to no effect on acne.

Just stop right there... I didn't have too read the rest because I think you're an idiot. You are saying over the 100+ Million have only a hormonal imbalance???

haha no offence taken. I guess I should of said for 99.95% of people.

I totally agree with what you are saying, the underlying cause is hormonal imbalances , but.. if you visit other places around the world and look at there teenagers they have no acne. Why is this?

I asked myself that question too and you're right. Other teenagers don't have acne compared to teenagers (or adults for that matter) in North America however I could bet that all teenagers in the world go through puberty and may experience some sort of acne in their life....however I don't think that it's any where close to the acne that teenagers/adults in North America especially.

But why is it that North American's are more prone to horomonal imbalance than other countries? Well I think the answer is pretty simple actually. It's the food we're eating. Even though you think you're eating healthly the fact is that you're probably eating food filled with hormones.

North America is probably the biggest consumers in the world and I could bet that the food industry is pumping all animals, fruits, vegtables, etc. with steroids/hormones to make them grow faster, produce quicker, and grow bigger in order to keep up with the demand for food. Escpecially from an ecomonical perspective it only makes sense to get the most out of your animals, fruits, vegetables, etc. by using chemicals and steriods than to do it all natural. And that's why I think other countries don't have this problem. Because either they can't afford it or don't need to do it. They eat more organic and natural foods and therefore are not consuming meals filled with hormones and therefore are not prone to horomone imbalance. And that's why I think adult acne is so common too.

For me personally I went on an all organic diet (during my detox) about a year ago and I believe that it contributed to curing my acne. Since then I've been eating "normal food" i.e. food with hormones and I do notice I tend to break out here and there.

hmm...I'm gonna try an experiment. An all natural organic diet for 6 months. I'm gonna blog my daily progress and see if I get any break outs. Those that are interested checkout my blog. I'm gonna start in January 2010!

Acne and its causes can be summarized into this simple thought, “Acne is a skin problem resulting from blocked pores due to too much oil.” So in your regimen exclude those that will increase the oil secretion of the skin.

Hey when i was talking about other countries i should have been more clear, i believe the western diet is the worst for acne. And that all those chemicals and steroids and this and that preservative in our foods contributes to our acne as well. If you go visit a country where they dont have any pre packaged food you wont see much cases of acne in teenagers if any. So i believe acne is caused by diet and hormonal imbalances its just that our diet is the last straw for our skin and it cant handle it.

I also came across this.

In westernised societies, acne vulgaris is a universal skin disease. Acne afflicts 79% to 95% of the adolescent population. Indeed, acne during teenage years is now so widespread it is considered 'normal' in developed nations. But acne also continues into adulthood: adult acne vulgaris affects 45% to 54% of adults older than 25 years and in up to 12% of men and 3% of women adult acne vulgaris persists until well into middle age. In adolescence, acne vulgaris may be considered a nuisance; adult acne vulgaris is considerably less well tolerated.

However, it is noticeable that nations who do not consume a 'western diet' do not suffer from acne vulgaris. A study by Dr Loren Cordain and his team looked at the prevalence of acne vulgaris in two non-westernised populations: the Kitavan Islanders of Papua New Guinea and the Ach? hunter-gatherers of Paraguay.[1]

Of 1200 Kitavan subjects examined, including 300 aged between 15 and 25 years, Cordain and colleagues didn't find one case of acne vulgaris. It was the same with the Ach? subjects they examined for nearly two-and-a-half years: Not one case of acne vulgaris was found.

Cordain and his team attribute the absence of acne vulgaris in these peoples to their diets. They say 'The astonishing difference in acne incidence rates between non-westernized and fully modernized societies cannot be solely attributed to genetic differences among populations but likely results from differing environmental factors. Identification of these factors may be useful in the treatment of acne vulgaris in Western populations.'

The significant dietary difference they highlighted was that where western children ate refined sugar- and starch-rich foods, both the study groups ate hardly any cereals or refined sugars. The Kitavans ate primarily fish, fruit, tubers and coconut, and the Ach? diet consisted mostly of wild game, the root vegetable sweet manioc, peanuts, maize and rice.

This was confirmed in 2008 with a study which looked at the effect of a low-GI diet on acne.[2] The researchers weere looking at the composition of skin oil, and how it is affected by diet: The effect of a low glycemic load diet on acne vulgaris and the fatty acid composition of skin surface triglycerides.

What the researchers wanted to know was how the oil composition would be changed by a low-glycemic diet. They also measured 'sebum outflow', or how much oil the skin was producing on the different diets. A low glycemic diet, although not as low as is recommended on this website, was given to 31 subjects, for 12 weeks, and compared to those eating a normal high-glycemic diet.

Here's what they found: the subjects on the low-glycemic diet had a lower amount of mono-unsaturated fatty acids compared to saturated fatty acids in the oil on their skin, than did the subjects eating the high-glycemic diet.

More importantly, their skin produced less oil, and they had fewer zits!

Edited by Could Be Worse