Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have been an active member on here in years past, but I would stop in here and there whenever acne came into my mind. I have tried a ton of products with my derms saying, "well, it looks like your really have tried everything." If you want to know specifically what I have tried, you can PM me, but I can assure you that I have tried it.

I am now 20, and yes, acne did ruin my later high school years. I tried not to let it get to me, but I lost a ton of confidence. I finally gave accutane a try for 4 months at 30-60-90-30mg. 3 months later, my skin has no more acne, with the exception of red skin, which 2 derms have classified as seb derm/rosacea. I currently use Finacea along with a gentle cleanser and moisturizer. I cannot be any happier with my appearance.

I can only wish that I took accutane when I noticed the acne at a young age. I know that accutane is a hot topic here, but like many others, I strongly encourage you to talk about it with your derm. I understand that a vast majority of people on here are in middle/high school, meaning that you generally have to go through your parents first, but be sure to tell them about accutane and its side effects. Almost all of the derms I have been to have told me not to look it up online....I'm sure you all know why. The general public is dumb and is no where near qualified to be talking about how the drug works.

I don't want this to turn into another "pro accutane" post, but rather an anecdotal one. Not thinking about acne is tough, but if you put it into perspective, it is a very insignificant illness. Think about disabled people or people who have one eye or one leg or people who live in a place where the life expectancy is below 15. My acne was moderate, so this may not hold for people with a more sever case (disfiguring), but for the most part acne is normal and is accepted, even more so at a younger age. Hardly any one I know has not had acne or current has it. People are not perfect.

I know that it is hard to get up in the morning, looking in the mirror, seeing the same shit, and then being someone who you are not. Life is not fair, so suck it up because no one is going to cure it for you. There are possible treatments out there, but you may have to realize that you may not get rid of it for some time. Days will turn into weeks and weeks into months and so on. Don't go down a route claiming , "oh, by then it should be gone"...landmarks give you pain when you realize that it has passed with no improvement.

If I still had acne, there is no way I would make this post, which shows how shallow I am and still hurt by it. I doubt there are a few people on this board who could make a post "I love the world and here is my advice" without being somewhat clear of their condition.

All in all, I wish everyone luck with their condition and just remember that you have to tough it out because life is not fair. This post is to not make you all warm inside, but to tell you the truth. Those 4 years came and went and they were harder than what they should have been. It will be a good test to see if you are strong. This may sound counterproductive, but I would strongly recommend you to stop coming to this board. The less you think about it, the better.

Edited by Contained