Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Being a teenage girl in highschool cystic acne seemed like one of the worst things that could ever happen to me. My face was COVERED with acne, most of it painful, red, and swollen. I hated the way I looked and could not even stand to look in the mirror in the mornings to get ready. Tnere was no covering this acne with make-up it was obvious and I knew it. I tried everything, from OTC face washes, scrubs, Acne-Free, face masks, to perscription creams and NOTHING worked. Finally a dermatologist prescribed Acutane, telling me that it was a miracle drug, and it would completely erase the acne. I had to fill out the I-Pledge forms, being a teenage girl, and start birth control, and was made fully aware of all of the effects that the drug could have on a fetus should I become pregnant while taking Accutane. However, I was never told about all of the horrible things that it could do to MY body. My derm prescribed what he said was an extremely high but necessary dose. I took the medication 3 times a day at first for a few months but had to decrease to just twice a day due due to fatigue. My treatment lasted for 6 months and afterwards my acne was completely gone. Even now 2 years later I have very little acne and other than some mild scarring that continuously improves my skin is clear. However since accutane I have experienced chronic pain. My hips, knees, and shoulders hurt so bad some days that getting out of bed is a pain. I experience severe back pain every single day of my life and I'm only 16. There is no hope in these things getting any better as they have continuously gotten worse. I have had dozens of tests done incuding CT scans, MRIs, bloodwork, x-rays, 24-hour urine collections, all of which check out fine. My pain statred a few months into the treatment, it was not very severe and when I asked my derm about it he said my kidneys were probably just dry and that drinking plenty of water should help with the back pain so my mother and I dismissed it feeling confident about his decision. At this point, 2 years later, the pain is so severe that it induces vomiting and even has caused me to pass out. Standing for more than 5 minutes is nearly impossible. I played highschool volleyball from 8th grade until this year, my junior year. I had to quit because last season I was in unbearable pain , and I know I couldn't do it again. I'm in the marching band and rehearsals are literally hell. I hate that I'm giving up my life because of my pain, but what do you do when your body is giving up on you. This year I was diagnosed with dyskinesia, and my gall bladder had to be removed because it had no function. Doctors are saying that it's a good possibility that the dyskinesia is from the accutane. While accutane changed my life, it also ruined it. I'm 16 and I'm ALWAYS in pain. Is this what I have to look forward to for the rest of my life? Some days I'm so depressed that doing anything feels impossible. Doctors can't find anything and are beginning to ask if I'm sure about the pain I'm having. Like I'm making it up oor something. I used to enjoy hiking, running, sports, and my life, but now I hate doing anything because I know the pain that comes with it. My family is in debt from all of the medical bills and we have nothing to show for it, I'm still miserable. I'm not the same person I was before Acutane, and I hate what my body has done to me. I feel like my body is constantly giving up on me. I beg God every single day for some relief from the pain, but it only seems to become worse. I don't know what to do anymore. My life feels hopeless. I can honestly say, knowing what I know now, that accutane is on of the worst drugs out there, and clear skin is not worth what it has done to my body and my life.

If anyone knows any ways to relieve post-accutane joint and back pain please let me know. Any kind of relief would be helpful. I will be praying for all of you. Plase pray for me.

-16 year old girl struggling with life after accutane

Being a teenage girl in highschool cystic acne seemed like one of the worst things that could ever happen to me. My face was COVERED with acne, most of it painful, red, and swollen. I hated the way I looked and could not even stand to look in the mirror in the mornings to get ready. Tnere was no covering this acne with make-up it was obvious and I knew it. I tried everything, from OTC face washes, scrubs, Acne-Free, face masks, to perscription creams and NOTHING worked. Finally a dermatologist prescribed Acutane, telling me that it was a miracle drug, and it would completely erase the acne. I had to fill out the I-Pledge forms, being a teenage girl, and start birth control, and was made fully aware of all of the effects that the drug could have on a fetus should I become pregnant while taking Accutane. However, I was never told about all of the horrible things that it could do to MY body. My derm prescribed what he said was an extremely high but necessary dose. I took the medication 3 times a day at first for a few months but had to decrease to just twice a day due due to fatigue. My treatment lasted for 6 months and afterwards my acne was completely gone. Even now 2 years later I have very little acne and other than some mild scarring that continuously improves my skin is clear. However since accutane I have experienced chronic pain. My hips, knees, and shoulders hurt so bad some days that getting out of bed is a pain. I experience severe back pain every single day of my life and I'm only 16. There is no hope in these things getting any better as they have continuously gotten worse. I have had dozens of tests done incuding CT scans, MRIs, bloodwork, x-rays, 24-hour urine collections, all of which check out fine. My pain statred a few months into the treatment, it was not very severe and when I asked my derm about it he said my kidneys were probably just dry and that drinking plenty of water should help with the back pain so my mother and I dismissed it feeling confident about his decision. At this point, 2 years later, the pain is so severe that it induces vomiting and even has caused me to pass out. Standing for more than 5 minutes is nearly impossible. I played highschool volleyball from 8th grade until this year, my junior year. I had to quit because last season I was in unbearable pain , and I know I couldn't do it again. I'm in the marching band and rehearsals are literally hell. I hate that I'm giving up my life because of my pain, but what do you do when your body is giving up on you. This year I was diagnosed with dyskinesia, and my gall bladder had to be removed because it had no function. Doctors are saying that it's a good possibility that the dyskinesia is from the accutane. While accutane changed my life, it also ruined it. I'm 16 and I'm ALWAYS in pain. Is this what I have to look forward to for the rest of my life? Some days I'm so depressed that doing anything feels impossible. Doctors can't find anything and are beginning to ask if I'm sure about the pain I'm having. Like I'm making it up oor something. I used to enjoy hiking, running, sports, and my life, but now I hate doing anything because I know the pain that comes with it. My family is in debt from all of the medical bills and we have nothing to show for it, I'm still miserable. I'm not the same person I was before Acutane, and I hate what my body has done to me. I feel like my body is constantly giving up on me. I beg God every single day for some relief from the pain, but it only seems to become worse. I don't know what to do anymore. My life feels hopeless. I can honestly say, knowing what I know now, that accutane is on of the worst drugs out there, and clear skin is not worth what it has done to my body and my life.

If anyone knows any ways to relieve post-accutane joint and back pain please let me know. Any kind of relief would be helpful. I will be praying for all of you. Plase pray for me.

-16 year old girl struggling with life after accutane

Thats so very sad to hear. I am currently 20 days into accutane, I was told 4 years ago to take it and due to stories like this I declined. However, living 4 years with cystic acne(read my accutane log) and trying everything under the sun to make it better here I am on accutane. I sometimes find myself resenting the fact that I have to go to such dangerous lenghts to clear it up. I am scared, I am a very health based person and I am so worried about what could happen to me. I feel I have no choice in the matter, I too live in constant pain, having cysts all over your body is unbearable pain. All I want is my life back, I want to live normally and enjoy life again. Im saying my prayers and hoping for the best with this medicine.

I am so so sorry to hear about your experience with accutane. You will be in my prayers, hang in there. The people here understand the pain your going through and thats why I joined this website.

I'm really sorry that happened. Try to be happy with your clear skin. I know that being in pain must be terrible, but at least appreciate what you did get out of accutane.

Check out this post, it has some suggestions that seem to have been helpful to other accutane users who experienced joint pain: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/JOINT-PAI...ed-t215387.html

Stay strong, you are only 16. Your life has not even started yet. :)

If you are not healthy and in pain everyday, you won't be happy even if you have clear skin. Granted, acne is horrible and difficult to deal with, but there are several options to treat it beside accutane. Unlike severe accutane induced side effects, you wouldn't be able to find the antidote you need even if you have whole lots of money.

Try to be happy with your clear skin. I know that being in pain must be terrible, but at least appreciate what you did get out of accutane.
Edited by Max-