Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MINIac

Does anyone have any experience with any of these cosmetic products?

I just went out and bought some make-up to use in rare occasions (I have something planned for tomorrow). Does anyone have any experience with any of these products? Did they make your acne worse, better, or no difference?

• - Neutrogena oil-free moisturizer for combination skin (my skin is so DRY from both my topical agents)

- Physicians Formula Gentle Cover Concealer Stick (Green for blemishes and scars)

- Dermablend Smooth Indulgence Concealer (Flesh colored to cover the green)

- Neutrogena SkinClearing oil-free makeup foundation

Well, this is my own review of these products:

- I returned the Neutrogena moisturizer and got Aveeno Ultra-Calming SPF 15 moisturizer instead. It burned my skin a tiny bit, but that is probably because of all the chemicals I am using on it already. It is really good for dry skin, though the really dry areas had to be covered another time or two. Non-greasy. I like the fragrance too... subtle, but nice.

- Physicans Formula Concealer covered the redness well. Good product.

- Dermablend Concealer covers well. I had to use foundation on top of it because it didn't blend with my skin very well and made me spotted no matter how much I blended. I ended up having to use foundation to cover that up. When the foundation was applied, it wiped the concealer right off. Too expensive and completely worthless.

- Neutrogena foundation was not anywhere near as impressive as I read about in reviews prior to buying. The fact that it contains salicylic acid is useful to me as an acne sufferer, but it went on absolutely CAKEY!!!!!!!!

Bottom line, I had to immediately wash off all this junk because it was worthless when used together. Maybe it would have been better if I had a better foundation.

Edited by MINIac

I can't answer for the makeup, but Neutrogena is one of the worse brands you can buy from. Literally, all of their products (for acne) are junk. Just check the reviews on that moisturizer. But I can tell you from experience that it clogs pores worse than bacon fat and will really irritate your face. I think it might disrupt the acidic mantle on the skin, because after using any of their products my skin is raw and burns when I apply my regimen of lemon juice. Don't mean to sound angry, just giving a friendly warning to everyone!

I can't answer for the makeup, but Neutrogena is one of the worse brands you can buy from. Literally, all of their products (for acne) are junk. Just check the reviews on that moisturizer. But I can tell you from experience that it clogs pores worse than bacon fat and will really irritate your face. I think it might disrupt the acidic mantle on the skin, because after using any of their products my skin is raw and burns when I apply my regimen of lemon juice. Don't mean to sound angry, just giving a friendly warning to everyone!

Wow! My dermatologist recommended their products! Now I am scared to try it because I need some sort of moisturizer for my extremely dry skin before putting on all this make-up! :mad:

Wow! My dermatologist recommended their products! Now I am scared to try it because I need some sort of moisturizer for my extremely dry skin before putting on all this make-up! :mad:

Dermatologists recommend a lot of crud. Just because it's "clinically proven" doesn't make it good! I remember when my dermatologist recommended Epiduo. I don't go to him anymore. IMO, the users on this forum (not to toot my own horn :P) are much more knowledgeable. As for moisturizer, glycolic acid works wonders! I know it's an acid, but the skin actually maintains an acidic balance that can often aggravate the skin if tampered with. Glycolic acid will both exfoliate and soften the skin. Cane sugar alone is great for this. You might want to test it out before applying makeup because everyone's skin is different, but I can't remember the last time my skin flaked since I started using a citrus/sugar mask!

If your skin is dry, I would recommend just getting a simple moisturizer thats oil free at least, and preferably oil free and non-comedogenic.

Cetaphil (which is supposed to be really gentle) makes an oil free moisturizer w/ spf 15, that might be perfect for you.

Clean and Clear also makes something similar, which I use sometimes. But I would try the Cetaphil first because it's known to work for people w/ dry and sensitive skin.

The only oil-free moisturizer that's ever worked for me was Aveeno's calming SPF 15. It is about thrice as much as the Neutrogena though as a warning.

And that pic of me is from two months ago; I was 200lbs, now I'm 170, and my diet has gone down the toilet; that's why I joined this forum last week :P. My skin sux and apparently there's no easy way back.'

Edit: Right now (having committed to fixing my face last week), my regimen is applying a lemon/lime juice and sugar mask to my face while taking zinc, saw palmetto, and fish oil supplements. I apply a thick layer of Clearasil now to dry up all my zits, something I wasn't doing last week. You can take a look at my gallery to see how that's looking... But I think I'm doing it the right way. I just recently learned about the skin's acid mantle (and the way soaps change the acidity of it). But I plan to go back on my 10-cups-of-spaghetti-and-a-can-of-Ragu-and-two-turkey-kielbasas-and-a-quart-of-limeade-a-day diet (whilst using the oil-free Aveeno mind you), as it was during that period my skin looked its absolute best (almost flawless) and I felt my best too. Mom won't buy the food though :P.

Edited by treefase93

Damn. I spent about $10 on the Neutrogena stuff. I have to try to find something that would be the same amount to exchange the Neutrogena. I did read reviews on it and it doesn't sound too bad... the biggest complaint (a reoccurring theme) was that it had to be reapplied several times throughout the day which I can't do if I have make-up on. I am going to look up reviews on the Cetaphil suggested earlier and the Aveeno and see what I can do. Thanks for the warning! I'm sure you will figure something out. Good luck on it!

Damn. I spent about $10 on the Neutrogena stuff. I have to try to find something that would be the same amount to exchange the Neutrogena. I did read reviews on it and it doesn't sound too bad... the biggest complaint (a reoccurring theme) was that it had to be reapplied several times throughout the day which I can't do if I have make-up on. I am going to look up reviews on the Cetaphil suggested earlier and the Aveeno and see what I can do. Thanks for the warning! I'm sure you will figure something out. Good luck on it!

Dermablend was horrible, it looked horrible on my face and made me breakout more. I did try the neutrogena before and it was cakey and cheap looking too. The only thing i like from neutrogena is the bronzer.(I think it is called healthy skins)

I love the cetaphil, but if your skin isn't dry and you are trying it for the first time, i would apply the smallest amount because it heavy. But i highly recommend it.

Physicians always makes nice products. I have never really liked the green concelear with regular concelear. I got that one from physicians formaula, but it wasnt in a stick it came as a compact looking thing. I would just stick with a regular concelear, and if you decide to stick with the stick, then i would use a brush to rub it off from and apply it. And make sure to wash it each time, so you don't keep applying a dirty stick directly to your face. I use just water and a kleenex.

A good drugstore foundation for coverage is, revlon and loreal, they both make great foundations that give excellent coverage. They both are also very natural.

i've used the neutrogena skin clearing makeup b4 and thought it was cakey too. i used it a loooong time ago, so i don't know if their formula has changed. i didn't think it improved my acne at all and it quickly oxidized on me.

i haven't tried the physician's formula concealer stick, but i have tried products from their mineral wear line, and i really like some of them. their matte finishing veil, blush, and face powder didn't break me out and applied really easily with a brush (not the one that comes with it).

I've tried to use the Physician's Formula green concealer stick (actually it was the liquid stuff) and I don't like it at all...it just doesn't blend with my skin at all and it makes my red marks look purple when I apply regular concealer over it.

I've been using Revlon Color Stay liquid foundation for about a week or two. I really like the coverage and it doesn't look cakey after I put it on. The only thing is I recently have been breaking out quite a bit over the past couple days (I've been applying makeup everyday for the past week because I just can't go out in public without makeup and I've had to work). I'm not entirely sure that I'm breaking out because of the makeup though. I know a lot of other people like this foundation and it's worked for them.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys!

So, that would make the votes for foundation: Revlon ||, Neutrogena -||