Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
heyhay

Quitting tane after being on it for 13 months

Sometime in October last year I started accutane, my doc put me on 60 mg per day, and I was on that for about 9 months, then I went down to 40 mg per day for a few weeks, before I went down to 20 mg per day, which I've been on ever since. In total I've been on Accutane for just about 13 months. And yes, I know that's a very long time, but my doc has stood by it, and felt it's been reasonable. In fact, shes been open to having me on 20 mg per day tane for another couple of years, at least one more year.

However, I've grown tired of all the sideeffects, especially the dry skin, dark circles under eyes, red marks and so on. I'm using a GREAT moisturizer, which I would like to reccomend to anyone that had oily skin efore starting accutane, but whereas their skin has turned dry, the product is called La Roche Posay Effaclar H, great stuff. Anyway, I've read some positive feedback about quitting, other than just sideeffects that effect my looks, I've had to go to a shrink for some time now, and in general I'm just completely changed from before I first started tane.

So, I have some questions, myths I would love to have confirmed or denied, and so on. Here goes:

Will my skin renew after stopping accutane? I've read somewhere that their old skin was reborn after quitting accutane, I've also seen this with a real life friend.

Will the dryness on my facial skin go away after quitting accutane?

Will the blushing go away?

I have lot's of pockmarks, scarring and redness, will any of this go away in the nearest future?

Skin is overall really thin, heals slowly etc.

Also, when I went down from 60 mg to 20 mg, I just felt that my looks overall improved quite a bit. I also had sudden compliments on this, but my skin was not "reborn", or "renwed". I still feel my skin is the same as when I started accutane, just withot any of the pimples (I had severe acne, not cystical).

Also, how long will it take for any changes to come?

And last but not least, is my acne likely to come back after taking as many pills as I have? I have atually never before heard of anyone that's been on a course as long as I have, whereas the doctor has prescribed it to them. Sure, people have taken more pills than me in their lifetime, but nonstop, without a single day missed :P Atm I can just get a tiny, tiny spot, which never has any pigmentation, if I eat lots of chockolate or eat junk for a few weeks.

Any help is much appriciated!

Edited by heyhay

Sometime in October last year I started accutane, my doc put me on 60 mg per day, and I was on that for about 9 months, then I went down to 40 mg per day for a few weeks, before I went down to 20 mg per day, which I've been on ever since. In total I've been on Accutane for just about 13 months. And yes, I know that's a very long time, but my doc has stood by it, and felt it's been reasonable. In fact, shes been open to having me on 20 mg per day tane for another couple of years, at least one more year.

However, I've grown tired of all the sideeffects, especially the dry skin, dark circles under eyes, red marks and so on. I'm using a GREAT moisturizer, which I would like to reccomend to anyone that had oily skin efore starting accutane, but whereas their skin has turned dry, the product is called La Roche Posay Effaclar H, great stuff. Anyway, I've read some positive feedback about quitting, other than just sideeffects that effect my looks, I've had to go to a shrink for some time now, and in general I'm just completely changed from before I first started tane.

So, I have some questions, myths I would love to have confirmed or denied, and so on. Here goes:

Will my skin renew after stopping accutane? I've read somewhere that their old skin was reborn after quitting accutane, I've also seen this with a real life friend.

I have lot's of pockmarks, scarring and redness, will any of this go away in the nearest future?

Also, when I went down from 60 mg to 20 mg, I just felt that my looks overall improved quite a bit. I also had sudden compliments on this, but my skin was not "reborn", or "renwed". I still feel my skin is the same as when I started accutane, just withot any of the pimples (I had severe acne, not cystical).

And last but not least, is my acne likely to come back after taking as many pills as I have? I have atually never before heard of anyone that's been on a course as long as I have, whereas the doctor has prescribed it to them. Sure, people have taken more pills than me in their lifetime, but nonstop, without a single day missed :P Atm I can just get a tiny, tiny spot, which never has any pigmentation, if I eat lots of chockolate or eat junk for a few weeks.

hey,

I think i can help you answer a bunch of your questions/concerns since i was on accutane on a high dose for a while also. But first, i need to know some information.

How bad was your acne to begin?

When did your skin get clear from the accutane?

How much do weigh?

hey,

I think i can help you answer a bunch of your questions/concerns since i was on accutane on a high dose for a while also. But first, i need to know some information.

How much do weigh?

Thanks. My acne was quite bad, worst in my forehead, the pimples were never gigantic, but in the end there was quite a lot of them. 20-30 smaller ones in total on my face or more. My skin was clear around 6th month, and atm I weigh 72,8kg, when I started tane I was only 65 though.

Would appreciate it if you took your time to share oyur experiences :)

Edited by heyhay

hey,

How much do weigh?

Thanks. My acne was quite bad, worst in my forehead, the pimples were never gigantic, but in the end there was quite a lot of them. 20-30 smaller ones in total on my face or more. My skin was clear around 6th month, and atm I weigh 72,8kg, when I started tane I was only 65 though.

Would appreciate it if you took your time to share oyur experiences :)

Wow, your cumulative dose was high. I calculated it to be 282 mg/kg, averaging your weight at 68mg. Im pretty confident that your acne will never come back. My acne was mild and i had very oily skin. I weighed 75kg on accutane. I took it for 6 months. The first two months on 40mg/day. The next 4 months on 80mg/day. So a cumulative dose of 160/mg/kg. My skin was very clear throughout the treatment, maybe 8 whiteheads in total, and i am still clear to this day. Accutane is a great and safe drug. People on the internet make it seem like a horrible drug. They blame all of there problems on accutane. Sorry to break it to you, the dark under eyes circles are not from accutane. Most people over 25 have a little under eye circles.

Also, what do you mean that the old skin was reborn after accutane? The old (bad) skin returned? Or the old skin dramatically changed into new fresh nice skin?

Happy thanksgiving

Adam

Also, what do you mean that the old skin was reborn after accutane? The old (bad) skin returned? Or the old skin dramatically changed into new fresh nice skin?

Happy thanksgiving

Adam

Thanks for the answers, appreciate it. By that I ment taht the skin dramatically changed into new, fresh and nice skin. Happened to a friend of mine who still had some pockmarks and red marks after accutane, then his skin just became perfect, and it seemed like it had thinned out dramatically.

Happy thanksgiving

Adam

Thanks for the answers, appreciate it. By that I ment taht the skin dramatically changed into new, fresh and nice skin. Happened to a friend of mine who still had some pockmarks and red marks after accutane, then his skin just became perfect, and it seemed like it had thinned out dramatically.

oo i gotcha. Do you say the skin "thinned out" as a good thing or a bad thing?