Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
americaninparis

moisturizer theory. . thoughts?

Hey guys,

Here's a theory that I have about moisturizing on retinoids that crossed my mind today (just a theory, I'm happy to hear other people's takes on it). I've had a pretty bad IB on retin-A, like, 7 weeks straight of the worst acne of my whole life. My skin wasn't that irritated, but definitely flaky, so I moisturized a ton. Since I've always used cetaphil myself, I would end up putting it on 4-5 times a day sometimes. If you look up cetaphil, however, it does have some ingredients that are comedogenic (nearly all creams do it seems). It's probably not a big deal normally, but I think if you are applying it more than normal, maybe you are adding too much of the comedogenic stuff along with the good stuff, right? So I thought maybe this was exacerbating my IB. I have very dry skin and need to moisturize a lot, so recently switched to only using %100 jojoba oil (something completely non-comedogenic, my skin loves it) and my IB seems a lot less inflamed, and my skin more calm.

Could be coincidence, I don't know, it's just my pet theory.

thoughts? I'd also LOVE a quick reply of the best OTC spot treatment anyone's used while on retinoids. . thanks

this seems to make sense, and it kind of goes along with my worry about using mineral makeup while on RAM. putting comedogenic stuff on your skin while using a product that (seems) to turn every comedone into a zit, it sounds aweful!!!! i use cetaphil all the time, so i guess its time to try and find something new... youre idea of jojoba oil scares me though, being acne prone i have this deep belief that oil should never be ADDED to ones face. but this is giving me a new perspective hmmmm.

best OTC spot treatment IMO is either BP or SA. i use paulas choice 2% BHA liquid all over before RAM so i see that as a spot treatment. I use BP in the morning only on cysts or nodules that arent ready to pop yet. unfortunately spot treatments arent my friends as i tend to over use them causing weird shiny skin/chemical burns that double healing time. so i tend to stay away until necessary.

I use AcneFree 10% BP for spot treatment. I've used both 2.5% and 10%, both are very drying. For moisturizer, I have used Cetaphil in the past but recently switched to Eucerin. I always look for "non-comedogenic" on the labels. I was convinced that Cetaphil was contributing to my breakouts.

Actually, adding some oils to your face is really not that bad. Jojoba oil is a 2 (out of 5) on the comedogenicity scale, so it's really not that bad.

I know, jojoba oil is one of the best things I've ever discovered for my skin (that and rooibos tea, love it!!) I now use jojoba oil as both a cleanser and moisturizer and my skin LOVES it.

My theory about being on retinoids is: the more simple and natural, the better!

Just to add to this, I've been using the AHA moisturizer from Neutrogena for the past few months and it works wonderfully, keeping my acne semi-at bay (by it self..with prescriptions even better). I decided I'd try Cetaphil's moisturizer again..BAD IDEA..I got 3 cysts and a lotta breakouts..I'd avoid at all costs honestly.