Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
widelegjeans

Why is acne unattractive??

I was just pondering, and then I thought WHY IS ACNE UNATTRACTIVE?? WHY IS IT THAT WE ARE EMBARRASSED TO FACE THE WORLD>>?? I mean, some guy or girl, like a million years ago with enviously clear skin must have said to himself, let me torture countless generations of teens and adults and make acne bad. Like the tree of knowledge perhaps, maybe it would be easier if we didn't care or know...

Is this coming from someone who doesnt suffer from acne and it's emotional effects? As a beautiful and healthy woman, I tend to disagree with that statement. Genetics of course play their part... but the existence of acne on an individual makes them no worse or greater a mate than any other.

I too have wondered this, widelegjeans, where did the 'anti-acne' movement start? And where would we be today if it hadn't?

Is this coming from someone who doesnt suffer from acne and it's emotional effects? As a beautiful and healthy woman, I tend to disagree with that statement. Genetics of course play their part... but the existence of acne on an individual makes them no worse or greater a mate than any other.

I too have wondered this, widelegjeans, where did the 'anti-acne' movement start? And where would we be today if it hadn't?

word.....

hahaha i love the tree part with the decorations!!! As I am now holding an ice cube to calm the redness of my poor skin, i cant help but feel sorry for myself and how society make me feel this way

It indicates bad genetics or state of health in the individual to make one not the best choice for mating.

Yea, but to people who have clear skin that's what acne looks like. Like you don't care about your skin which is why it's in the state it's in. I mean in some stances it's true. If you cared enough about your acne you'd go to the far ends of the earth the find a way to take care of it i.e accutane, 2x a day cleansing, treatment, meds, prescription topicals... the works. I mean 1 or 2 pimples isn't bad at all, but a face full of acne isn't the best looking thing.

Edited by Simon888

Guest Chrisâ„¢

Because the majority of people do not have it.

If it were reversed, and most people did have acne, then having clear skin would be unattractive. People do not see the actual acne as unattractive, they find the fact that you are not like the average person (clear-skin), unattractive. Which is beyond retarded to me, but that's just the way that most people think for some reason, I think it's just hard-wired into us. Personally, I think that someone that isn't "average", for whatever reason, is much more appealing to me than the "average" person, if that makes sense.

because people want it to be ugly, because 1 person shared his thoughts and all other people followed

It indicates bad genetics or state of health in the individual to make one not the best choice for mating.

u dont kno how hard i laughed to this lol

If it were reversed, and most people did have acne, then having clear skin would be unattractive. People do not see the actual acne as unattractive, they find the fact that you are not like the average person (clear-skin), unattractive. Which is beyond retarded to me, but that's just the way that most people think for some reason, I think it's just hard-wired into us. Personally, I think that someone that isn't "average", for whatever reason, is much more appealing to me than the "average" person, if that makes sense.

because u dont wanna be laying in bed with ur gf bf looking at a whole bunch of bumps and scars while their sleeping lol

Well, maybe back hundreds/thousands of years ago, people didn't get much acne or something due to the pureness of the air and crops, so acne-free skin was common.

However, they had many skin disorders, usually associated with sickness, uncleanliness, or curses (which people of course, found totally unnattractive). When people started getting acne, maybe people back then might've associated acne with those skin disorders, and therefore dubbed it as something unclean/cursed/contagious. Now that negative perspective must've passed on through the generations, and that's how there are still people today that still think not washing your face "enough" will make you have acne.

That's my suckish theory.

Hah nice attempt but not quite there.

In the past, there were many pests. Blood suckers such as fleas, mosquitoes, ticks, bed bugs etc.. you name it.

These were vectors for human diseases.

Such as mosquitoes and malaria or ticks and Lyme's disease.

A person covered in spots, inflammation from the bites were of course seen as carriers of diseases.

It would definitely be maladaptive to mate with a carrier of a disease.

These avoidance of "inflammatory spots" are passed down culturally and genetically.

If you know about natural selection it would definitely give you a better understanding on the genetics part.

I don't think this is necessarily true because there are other people out there with "unordinary" traits (heterochromia, gingers etc.) that we don't consider unattractive.

Hah nice attempt but not quite there.

In the past, there were many pests. Blood suckers such as fleas, mosquitoes, ticks, bed bugs etc.. you name it.

These were vectors for human diseases.

Such as mosquitoes and malaria or ticks and Lyme's disease.

A person covered in spots, inflammation from the bites were of course seen as carriers of diseases.

It would definitely be maladaptive to mate with a carrier of a disease.

These avoidance of "inflammatory spots" are passed down culturally and genetically.

If you know about natural selection it would definitely give you a better understanding on the genetics part.

This is kind of depressing haha. It's like we have the plague or something.