Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koga26

Doing the Regimen in Japan!

Here is my little space for sharing my progress on the regimen. I have been on this regimen before and it worked wonders for my skin. (I had in the past nodule type acne after returning from military service when I turned 21) I am 26 now and have not struggled with acne since going on the regimen

HOWEVER.....two months ago my whole life turned upside down. I married my Japanese Fiance and moved to Tokyo Japan and to my dismay..there are barely any acne products available here. Most products they do have I can`t recognize for the life of me what the ingrediants are. In the past two months of being here my face has exploded with white heads and pustule type acne! The water here is not as clean as you might think, that`s half the battle ( I hail from Seattle BTW) and now my diet has completely changed (for the better I hope) and then of course the stress of moving, wedding, immigration yadda yadda...you get the picture. Anyway its taken a toll on my skin so I have forked over the extra cash to ship the regimen products to my doorstep here in Tokyo and now I have to start over from scratch so to speak.....

Anyway I got my products today and from today will chronicle my re-progress. Huzzah! ;)

Edited by Koga26

Okay so here are some photos of what my face looked like yesterday prior to my first application of BP...

The regimen that I am following goes like this:

Face Wash: Clearasel foaming cream

treatment: Dan`s BP one full pump

Moisture: Amway mature skin moisture cream mixed with Dan`s AHA+ lotion

My night routine is the same.

I experienced a little burning when I put on my first round of BP and a little redness on my cheeks but it did`nt last for very long and when I woke up this morning my skin was back to normal color.

I hope I can get my skin clear by the end of december becuase I have a huge costume event to attend and I will be modeling there...

On that note, since coming to Japan I have had to completely switch cosmetic brands too. I prefer neutrogena products but those are`nt available here so I am now using Maybelline mineral makeup. So far its been okay, I have been using it for about 3 weeks, but the kabuki brush it comes with really irritates my skin and I think it made my acne worse so I have thrown out the brush and switched to a very soft powder puff instead. We`ll see if that makes a difference. Honestly though I really hate wearing makeup....I wish my skin were clear enough to do without it but here in Japan they make such a big stink about girls having perfect skin I get starred at a lot when I don`t wear the makeup......Is my acne really that bad??????????

post-117179-1259116249_thumb.jpg

post-117179-1259116267_thumb.jpg

post-117179-1259116275_thumb.jpg

post-117179-1259116249_thumb.jpg

post-117179-1259116267_thumb.jpg

post-117179-1259116275_thumb.jpg

Edited by Koga26

okay so I have totally flaked out when it comes to keeping my log updated :wall:

so i am going to try harder to write in this from now on.

Well a few months have come and gone since I have gone back on the regimen and some of it is good and some of it is bad. Acne wise I am still getting alot of acne frequently but it has changed locations. My chin (where i get the most acne) is now acne free and has been for some weeks but now I am breaking out horribly around my forehead and eyebrows. Dont know whats up with that since I never in the past got acne in my eye brows...guess I have to stop plucking because that seems to be the catalyst.

so the bottom half of my face is now acne free but the top half still needs some work. I am getting there slowly but surely.

Another thing I have added to the regimen is a new vitamin supplement called Lecithin. Has anybody else heard of this? Im not sure if I spelt it right....anyway its a naturally occurring chemical in the body that breaks down fat and oil in your blood stream! ( i do tend to eat a greasy diet....) I have been taking it for 3 weeks now and I have noticed that it helps control the oiliness on my face!!!!!! Wow who would have thought! Not only that it helps control bad cholesteral and also helps your brain function faster because its a nutrient that neurons need to operate.

I have become a bit of a health but the past few months due to my acne and trying to find natural remedies to help it. I am also taking extra B and C vitamins to boost healing in my face. So far so good =)

As for the side effects of Dan`s regimen...I have`nt really had any except a little dryness under my chin for some reason, perhaps the drying of my face it also effecting my chin and neck? No burning or redness but I am having a bit of dry flaky skin around my eyes, I have to use extra moisturizer on my eyes to help with that.

Geesh its been a while since I updated this thing so here it goes, so much has happened in the past month that I dont know where to begin!

My acne has been somewhat under control since starting the regimen, still a few pimples here and there at times and then BAM, I took a trip back to Seattle to visit my family and attend a major costume event so I had to wear HEAVY theatrical makeup for 3 days straight and as a result....Half my face broke out in painful red nodules!!!!!! Oh it hurt so much I could`nt touch my face or even sleep on that side of my face at night!

Worse yet, I couldnt bring me acne regimen kit with me on the plane (i thought it would explode or get confiscated) so I was reduced to using whatever skin care products my sister had at the time, which did not help at all, in fact it made it all worse!

in my despiration, I ran to the local bartell drug store, bought two tubes of on the spot acne treatment by Neutrogena, deep cream cleanser and oil free moisturizer for combination skin. This had worked for me in the past before I moved to Japan so I hoped it would work its magic on me again....

Two weeks later, I am back in Tokyo and used up the last of my on the spot treatment and have gone back to Dans BP, I like dans BP better. The nuetrogena one dried my skin out to the point of painful itching and stinging but dans doesnt seem to cause that on me. All of my acne has dried up and is almost gone but i still have red spots from the nodules I got. One thing I started adding to the regimen is Vitamin C enhanced toner and that seems to really help with the red scars.

I only have enough supplies for maybe another month so when i run out I will have my sister ship me some more neutrogena stuff, so far its the only sure fire thing I have tried that has quick and lasting results, plus the moisturizer is phenominal! It moisturizes my skin just enough to have it elastic and supple but doesnt leave it all greasy and nasty and it stays like that all day!

Usually halfway through the day my skin gets so greasy I have to do a second washing or use oil absorbing sheets.

So far so good!

Edited by Koga26

Geesh its been a while since I updated this thing so here it goes, so much has happened in the past month that I dont know where to begin!

My acne has been somewhat under control since starting the regimen, still a few pimples here and there at times and then BAM, I took a trip back to Seattle to visit my family and attend a major costume event so I had to wear HEAVY theatrical makeup for 3 days straight and as a result....Half my face broke out in painful red nodules!!!!!! Oh it hurt so much I could`nt touch my face or even sleep on that side of my face at night!

Worse yet, I couldnt bring me acne regimen kit with me on the plane (i thought it would explode or get confiscated) so I was reduced to using whatever skin care products my sister had at the time, which did not help at all, in fact it made it all worse!

in my despiration, I ran to the local bartell drug store, bought two tubes of on the spot acne treatment by Neutrogena, deep cream cleanser and oil free moisturizer for combination skin. This had worked for me in the past before I moved to Japan so I hoped it would work its magic on me again....

Two weeks later, I am back in Tokyo and used up the last of my on the spot treatment and have gone back to Dans BP, I like dans BP better. The nuetrogena one dried my skin out to the point of painful itching and stinging but dans doesnt seem to cause that on me. All of my acne has dried up and is almost gone but i still have red spots from the nodules I got. One thing I started adding to the regimen is Vitamin C enhanced toner and that seems to really help with the red scars.

I only have enough supplies for maybe another month so when i run out I will have my sister ship me some more neutrogena stuff, so far its the only sure fire thing I have tried that has quick and lasting results, plus the moisturizer is phenominal! It moisturizes my skin just enough to have it elastic and supple but doesnt leave it all greasy and nasty and it stays like that all day!

Usually halfway through the day my skin gets so greasy I have to do a second washing or use oil absorbing sheets.

So far so good!

Hullo. How's Tokyo? Neutrogena On The Spot is a bit lacking in my opinion. It's also a cream which dries rather quickly compared to Dan's BP which is a gel and spreads a lot better. You also don't get that pale skin tone creams tend to leave behind. Anyway, try not to over-wash your face. The regimen was only meant to be done twice a day, no matter how oily you feel your skin is.

Hi, I also live in Tokyo, have lived here for all 19 years of my life. Last year though I started college in California and, funnily enough, it caused me to break out like crazy (it's kinda like we're having the opposite experience, haha)! I only ever had whiteheads before and now I'm erupting in cysts and red acne. Uggggh. Ever since getting back to Tokyo for my summer break, dermatologists have been telling me its the diet I'm having there... dorm food like hamburgers, other fatty junk, yada yada. Apparently my body is not used to it cuz of the super healthy diet I've been having in Tokyo all my life. I have been considering DKR, but I'm gna wait till I get back to college in the Fall so I don't have to pay the ridiculous shipping fee. Right now I'm settled for skin iD, and I just got a chemical peel by a dermatologist for just 3000 yen! It's made my skin glow, it was painful while I was getting it done though, but totally worth it! I can't guarantee it may work for u though...

If you need any help or questions about Tokyo, let me know! I'll be glad to help. The bad thing about Japan is that benzoyl peroxide is still illegal, so you won't find any here (only available in utterly pointless and insignificant amounts). So the Proactiv here has salicylic acid instead of benzoyl peroxide. Most over-the-counter acne medications also have salicylic acid in it. If you see the ingredients nd it says サリãƒãƒ«é…¸, thats salicylic acid in Japanese. I've been using salicylic acid to treat my acne for too long, and I feel like my body is immune to it now so it doesn't work on me anymore... Hence, my considering DKR.

AHHH!!!

I'm sorry, but this is so weird! I experienced a really similar problem! I moved to Japan about 10 months ago (I live in Hyogo-ken) and it's kind of comforting (i.e. REALLY COMFORTING) knowing that this isn't just me and a handful of my friends that experienced skin changes upon moving. Sorry, not to call your acne "comforting"...

First of all, Koga, your acne isn't that bad, and you know as well as I do that people probably just stare because you're a gaijin, haha. That said, I would avoid Japanese makeup because it is PACKED with oil. It works for Japanese skin, but not for other kinds.

Do you think it's the water?

Also, I think the food here actually aggravates acne. I eat white rice constantly with my 給食 and the situation is pretty 処ãŒãªã„ã€ã­ã€‚。。

That all being said, my acne is pretty much under control and now I'm dealing with red marks. This NEVER happened to me in the US. I had an occasional zit or two, but after moving to Japan I noticed that things just got worse and worse until taking some BCP made my skin go totally over the edge. Ugh...

Anyway, I would do the following:

-- do the regimen, and do it faithfully

-- import your makeup and moisturizers from the US (what works is what works, and you don't want to risk it with an oil-based Japanese product)

-- exercise

-- eat fresh veggies (sadly, there are almost NONE in a typical Japanese diet)

GOOD LUCK, and let me know if you ever need to vent! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT, someone on here with the same problem!!

Hi,

I'm also in Tokyo and just ordered Dan's regime because I can't get any BP here and all the dermatologists just gave me kampo :wall:

Actually the "Tokyo Skin Clinic" can prescribe the strong antibiotics but not sure about BP. They don't accept national health insurance though and are crazy expensive.

My skin ist getting worse now because of tsuyu but since using the regime, it started to clear up.

I also don't use much local make up. I tend to go for department store products like Laura Mercier oil free tinted moistuizer or Nars sheer matte foundation, which I can recommend.

How is your regime working now? I hope you're not suffering in this humid weather as much as I do :lol:

Oh wow thank you everyone who responded! No one responded for so long I gave up on checking my own blog only to have 4 months pass and sure enough someone did respond! i am so sorry everyone! I will be more faithful from now on! :wub:

Well it is the middle of august here and while my skin seemed to be improving...I ran out of BP and it got bad again. I have been without for about 3 months and though my acne has not gotten WORSE, I seem to be getting small bumpy red pimples all over my forehead and chin due to the hot weather here and sweating alot....its very humid here right now in Japan.

I have ordered some more BP today so I can get back on track!

@Hotglue01, Thank you so much for sharing your experience with me! I am also comforted to know that I am not alone with this problem. The strange thing is, I eat plenty of vegis, I take vitamins, drink lots of water and well I am guilty of not excercising much but I generally take good care of myself and yet my acne still persists.

I took everyone`s advice about the makeup and threw out all the japanese brand ones I had, I really don`t wear makeup on a daily basis but still i don`t want to be putting that stuff on my face. I have switched over to artistry brand from the US (only bought though amway) and their foundation is the best! I have not suffered any breakouts due to makeup since switching :D

which just narrows down the list of causes for my acne.

Thanks everyone!

I have to try to make it through the next few weeks without my BP as I have another shipment coming but already I have gotten a few new pimples on my chin and a very painful large red swollen one that is deep under the skin.

To make matter worse, I was trying to audition for a english movie narrative job and now I dont think I will be able to with my skin looking the way it is....even if I wear makeup its still obvious that I have skin problems because the bumps still show.

I really want to land this job but I think the panelists will take one looks at my skin and judge me based on that....a girl with acne is not very marketable....

Guess I will just have to go hide under my rock again until my face gets better.

I got my treatment in the mail about 3 days ago and already I have noticed an improvement on my skin :surprised: I am so happy that I can continue on with life as usual.

Here are some photos of what my face looks like now compared to what november...holy crap has it been that long???? I see a difference but there are a few red marks from where my acne used to be on my right cheek, left cheek is nice and unscathed though, yay! Btw I am wearing no makeup in this photo as it was taken right after i got out of the shower and did the nightly regimen.

My regimen has not changed much since I started though I have experimented with moisturizers and found that the only two I really liked were nuetrogena combination skin moisture and amway moisture liquid spray. Out of those two the liquid spray I think is a bit better because you mist it on your face and dont have to touch your face with your hands which has probably contributed to my skin getting better. Even when I ran out of BP for two months my skin seemed to not break out quite as bad as when I first got to Japan which could mean I either got used to the environment here or the moisturizer and face wash I was using was sufficient enough to hold back the bad acne I had in the past.

I have gotten a bit of irritation since getting back on BP but its not so bad as long as I dont go outside and sweat much, sweating seems to really make it all worse and my skin gets itchy as heck if i wear bp then go outside in this humid Japanese summer.....the other day i did and my upper lip started to itch so bad and turned red all because I sweated.....

post-117179-1283538853_thumb.jpg

post-117179-1283538860_thumb.jpg

post-117179-1283538867_thumb.jpg

post-117179-1283538853_thumb.jpg

post-117179-1283538860_thumb.jpg

post-117179-1283538867_thumb.jpg

Edited by Koga26

Aunt flow came to visit so I broke out along my eyebrows again, for some reason I break out bad there....not sure why. I wonder if its from shaving my eyebrows? If I pluck it gets even worse so I have stopped plucking all together but even now I still get nasty pimples. I also got a big pustule on my chin but it is already drying up and going away atleast. I have a modelling gig this thursday so I REALLLLLLLY want my skin to be somewhat better by then just so that my makeup artist doesnt have to cake foundation on my face.

Last thursday I met with my makeup artist and she gave me a test run so to speak and her intructor was with her to critique her as she made me up, He noticed my bad skin right off the bat, God it was so embarrassing.....he made a few comments about it and my weight...um last time I checked 120 pounds was NOT overweight....but the standards of beauty here in Japan and too strict, everyone has to be a size zero or you are fat. Its so stupid....

my face seemed to be getting better but now its all been blown to hell, the acne is back in full force all over my forehead and chin and I have no idea what to do now. The regimin seems to not be working....It was for a while but now its not. WTF? I am trying a little experiment now to see if maybe its the tap water here thats ruining my skin. I am using filtered water from kitchen to wash my face twice a day and I have been doing that for 4 days straight, no change but its too early to say I guess. I keep getting small white heads all over my chin and underchin, they are leaving bad red marks too =( and on my forehead are whiteheads that dont seem to want to heal! I just dont get it.

after trolling the board for a while I came across an interesting thread about using toothbrushes to exfoliate your skin. To be honest, I have NEVER exfoliated :blink: I`ve always been told not to but my skin has just felt so dang bad lately (like leather...burnt leather from the accessive dry skin) that I am a bit at my wits end and would just like to be able to talk and eat without it hurting so much. So i gave the toothbrush thing a try and I have to admit....my skin feels pretty dang good! It feels cool and soft...like this is the first time in a year that it has had air to breath! I used a soft bristle amway tooth brush and gently scrubbed my face in small circles with my face cleanser to get the dead skin off and sure as heck my skin is flake free and nice and clean. i think I will do this once a day while I am on the regimin to combat the severe dryness. I am using moisturizer up the yin yang but still my face feels leathery so this may be key to keeping my skin elasticity alive.

It doesnt seem to hurt my skin doing it everyday but it doesnt help my acne either, I am throwing in the towel and going to the dermatologist tomorrow. I am sick of putting chemicals on my face.

Hello again everyone, wow two updates in two days, thats a first for me =P

I just got back from my skin doctor yesterday and what he had to tell me was rather enlightening and could probably help a few people out here.

First off I am sorry to say that I have to end Dan`s regimen =( It has been recommended to me by my doctor and frankly I agree that slathering loads of chemicals on my face daily probably isnt the answer for a long term cure. I have been given a new regimen that answers both my skin problems and my health problems. The fact is, almost none of us are born with bad skin. Bad skin is a by product of our diet, our living habits, our genetics, our hormones and our stress. The problem I have had is identifying which of these is the culprit for my acne. I did fine on Dan`s regimen, for anyone who has mild acne I deffinately recommend it but for some reason it has stopped working for me and my skin has gotten worse in a matter of 6 weeks back to where I was a year ago when this all began =(

Just a bit of recap about my living situation, BP and salacylic acid is illegal in almost all japanese brand cosmetics/facewash so they dont prescribe that at the dermatologist clinic. Japan tends to take a more Natural approach to health problems (skin problems included) or they just ignore it flat out....

The doctor told me right off that bat by looking at the type of acne I had and the color of my skin, I have developed a weird yellowish skin tone and dark under eye circles which I did not have prior to coming to Japan, my skin tone has always been pale pink and no circles, that I had a vitamin deficiancy of some sort. Wha?????? I take daily vitamins everyday and I eat a healthy diet...well I got a crash course in nutrition that day. One thing I do know is that the foods that we eat dont have half the nutrition in them that they should have thanks to our crappy agricultural practices and use of growth hormones and pesticides in all of our food products and the vitamins that i am taking arent customized to my own personal genetics. Sure the FDA says you need so and so amounts of such a mineral/vitamin/nutrient a day but that is a generalization. Each of us has our own unique nutritional needs and daily balances. For me, I need ALOT of vitamin C,A, and B because I don`t get a lot of complex protein in my diet nor fruits because here in Japan those things are VERY expensive (seriously one apple costs about 2$) so I eat a lot of fiber and vegetables and tofu. Kind of like a vegetarian diet but not my choice.

The regimen that my doc has put me on is:

wash and moisturize my skin normally

Spot treat me acne 3x a day with a prescribed gel (im not sure what it is since its in japanese but its deffinately not BP or Salicylic)

Vitamin C pills 3x daily with each meal

Antibiotic pill daily with breakfast

Vitamin A pill 2x daily

Vitamin B pill 2x daily

Before bed, wash face, moisturize and apply another prescribed cream to unclog pores

I have to do this for about 3 months but the doc says the success rate is about 90%

so I am going to do it, stick with it and get myself back on a healthy track.

Thanks everyone for your support and comments/feedback. Even though i am ending the acne.org regimen I will still post my results here with my new system and answer any feedback I get =)

Good luck with your new regimen, I hope it works for you! Just to settle a few facts though:

Keeping up on the latest scientific research is kind of my thing. The most recent (last six months or so) studies show that organic food has no greater nutritional advantage than conventionally grown food or food that has been genetically modified (let's also keep in mind that ALL food has been genetically modified by man, as all the fruits and vegetables we eat are unrecognizable compared to their ancestors that once appeared in the wild millenia ago!).

Also, a series of very recent studies show that most healthy people in developed countries who eat a varied diet have absolutely no need for a multi vitamin.

That said, fish oil, evening primrose, and zinc HAVE been proven by science to make a difference in acne for many people.

This is meant to help complete the picture. Good luck!

Hello again everyone, wow two updates in two days, thats a first for me =P

I just got back from my skin doctor yesterday and what he had to tell me was rather enlightening and could probably help a few people out here.

First off I am sorry to say that I have to end Dan`s regimen =( It has been recommended to me by my doctor and frankly I agree that slathering loads of chemicals on my face daily probably isnt the answer for a long term cure. I have been given a new regimen that answers both my skin problems and my health problems. The fact is, almost none of us are born with bad skin. Bad skin is a by product of our diet, our living habits, our genetics, our hormones and our stress. The problem I have had is identifying which of these is the culprit for my acne. I did fine on Dan`s regimen, for anyone who has mild acne I deffinately recommend it but for some reason it has stopped working for me and my skin has gotten worse in a matter of 6 weeks back to where I was a year ago when this all began =(

Just a bit of recap about my living situation, BP and salacylic acid is illegal in almost all japanese brand cosmetics/facewash so they dont prescribe that at the dermatologist clinic. Japan tends to take a more Natural approach to health problems (skin problems included) or they just ignore it flat out....

The doctor told me right off that bat by looking at the type of acne I had and the color of my skin, I have developed a weird yellowish skin tone and dark under eye circles which I did not have prior to coming to Japan, my skin tone has always been pale pink and no circles, that I had a vitamin deficiancy of some sort. Wha?????? I take daily vitamins everyday and I eat a healthy diet...well I got a crash course in nutrition that day. One thing I do know is that the foods that we eat dont have half the nutrition in them that they should have thanks to our crappy agricultural practices and use of growth hormones and pesticides in all of our food products and the vitamins that i am taking arent customized to my own personal genetics. Sure the FDA says you need so and so amounts of such a mineral/vitamin/nutrient a day but that is a generalization. Each of us has our own unique nutritional needs and daily balances. For me, I need ALOT of vitamin C,A, and B because I don`t get a lot of complex protein in my diet nor fruits because here in Japan those things are VERY expensive (seriously one apple costs about 2$) so I eat a lot of fiber and vegetables and tofu. Kind of like a vegetarian diet but not my choice.

The regimen that my doc has put me on is:

wash and moisturize my skin normally

Spot treat me acne 3x a day with a prescribed gel (im not sure what it is since its in japanese but its deffinately not BP or Salicylic)

Vitamin C pills 3x daily with each meal

Antibiotic pill daily with breakfast

Vitamin A pill 2x daily

Vitamin B pill 2x daily

Before bed, wash face, moisturize and apply another prescribed cream to unclog pores

I have to do this for about 3 months but the doc says the success rate is about 90%

so I am going to do it, stick with it and get myself back on a healthy track.

Thanks everyone for your support and comments/feedback. Even though i am ending the acne.org regimen I will still post my results here with my new system and answer any feedback I get =)

uhm your taking antibiotics because you didn't like putting harsh chemicals on your skin?? that doesn't seem any better since antibiotics are 100x worse.....

benzoyl peroxide is recommended by every credible american dermatoligist and has tons of research to back it put....

Edited by superbug11

Oh boy its been another few months since I replied to this thing, and to answer the last posters statements, I have been on Daniels Regimen for about 3 years (i also did this in the USA before coming here, had great results) but since coming to japan its has not been so successful and I have been trying to find out why. In october I was put on a vitamin antibiotic regimen from my derm which did help, however I ran out and due to financial difficulties could not refill my prescription. I was supposed to be doing the docs suggested regimen for 3 months. I finally went back today to be checked up again because my acne got worse, it went from mild to cystic in about 4 weeks which is totally not normal as I am generally a very healthy person with good hygiene. After a good look over I seem to have Folliculitis which has infected my acne making it worse and no amount of topical creams BP or not is going to take care of that. I am back on antibiotics, which i only have myself to blame for it getting worse because i cant afford to take care of myself. Well here`s hoping for a better year skin wise as I now have time and money to take care of these things. Oh and just alittle FYI, BP DOES NOT WORK FOR EVERYONE so I wish people would stop making blanket statements about the stuff, some people are allergic to it, some peoples skin is just too sensative to it and some like me have other health issues which prevent it from working. I still think its a good regimen and I reccomend it to anyone who is healthy enough to do it but if your acne persists for a long period of time, then I think its time to pay a visit to the doctor.

Oh and also for SuperBug11, I dont think you read the part in my post that says that BP IS ILLEGAL in Japan, I can import it but its very expensive. Sorry but my wallet cant handle the price of shipping BP from the USA to here. That being said, I would much rather spot treat my face then white wash it with BP every night.