Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mallory

Accutane/Claravis Log! 21/f - starting @ 40mg.

day 1

Hey Everyone...

Finally got my Claravis script today after what seemed like the longest wait of my life! What a pain iPledge is... My derm actually cracked a joke today and said, "All of my patients left my office mad at me today because everyone messed up the ipledge steps. Congrats, you're my first successful one today." Haha. I assured her that I was a freak all month feeling like I missed something.

Anyway... a little history: I had near perfect skin all through high school. When I went away to college I began breaking out a couple months in. I remember thinking that the world was crumbling around me or something ;) and it wasn't even half as bad as it is now.

What I've tried in the past 2 1/2 years:

Differin .01% and .03%

Clindamycin Phosphate

Retin-A Micro .01%

Ortho Tri Cyclen

Seasonale

Yasmin

The Differin and RAM worked for a couple months each and I was 100% clear for awhile, but nothing ever seems to work over 3 or 4 months... and then my acne all comes back with raging force. Fun! If I had to categorize my acne, I'd say it's moderate and VERY random. One week i will be fairly clear, then the next week my face is a warzone. It's really strange and so unpredictable.

I went and bought cerave moisturizing cream in the way-too-big tub. When I applied it tonight it seemed so thick and gross... but on my skin... wow! It actually absorbed super fast and my skin was really soft. Never judge a book by it's cover, huh?

Well, I probably won't update every single day in the beginning... I think it would probably be really boring if I did... So... until next time... :)

Woooo! Congrats on starting! I just took my third pill, so I'm right there with you.

I'm tempted to buy some CeraVe. I have a moisturizer, but if it starts to fail me, I'll make the switch.

So far, my eyes are drying out. I look like a freak. Get some eye drops, you never know.

Woooo! Congrats on starting! I just took my third pill, so I'm right there with you.

I'm tempted to buy some CeraVe. I have a moisturizer, but if it starts to fail me, I'll make the switch.

So far, my eyes are drying out. I look like a freak. Get some eye drops, you never know.

Thanks!! Congrats to you, too! I'll have to keep up with your log - do you know if you're going to higher your dosage next month or stay the same?

I was pleasantly surprised with the cerave... I figured it would be greasy and gross, but I'm loving it so far... I'll let you know in a couple of days if it's still working out for me. (:

I KNEW I was forgetting something at the store... I'll have to pick up some eye drops tomorrow... (or maybe steal some from my parent's house while I'm home... haha)

Good luck! Excited for both of us!

What I've tried in the past 2 1/2 years:

Differin .01% and .03%

Clindamycin Phosphate

Retin-A Micro .01%

Ortho Tri Cyclen

Seasonale

Yasmin

We've tried alot of the same stuff. Only things I didn't try from your list are the Seasonale and the Ortho Tri Cyclen.

Accutane will do wonders :D Good luck :dance:

Edited by kimminz

We've tried alot of the same stuff. Only things I didn't try from your list are the Seasonale and the Ortho Tri Cyclen.

Accutane will do wonders :D Good luck :dance:

Thank youuu! I hope so... (:

day 2

Okay, I know I said I wouldn't post everyday in the beginning because it would be long and boring, but whattya know... here I am. :shrug:

Soooo, it makes me SUPER uncomfortable to post pictures of my face online(especially since this is the worst it's ever been)... BUT... I'm going to stop being so vain and just do it. Who cares.

I've taken 2 pills so far, nothing new to report besides the fact that I had a headache all day today. Not sure if it's related or not because I get headaches pretty frequently.

I also forgot to mention in my first post that my cholesterol was extremely high. I got really nervous about this at first, but then my derm said that it's almost always genetic and to blame my parents. She said that although it won't effect my course, that it's still serious and I should make it my personal goal to lower it next month. Afterwards I called my mom and asked her about it and she said that every single person in her family has issues with it. I'm not really sure what else to do because I'm pretty active (I play college-level tennis and practice 5/7 days/week) and eat pretty well (besides my intense love for chocolate. haha.) I read online that alcohol consumption can bring down cholesterol levels really quickly if a woman has about 2 drinks per day. I'm not going to do that, I just think it's funny. The next sentence read, "The American Heart Association does not recommend this as a primary form of lowering cholesterol." Haha.

Anyway, I'm tired so I'm rambling... onto the pictures - the huge bright red cluster is an area where I break out often. Right now, there are 2 cysts in that patch but they're slooooowly going away. The bright red spot on the right side of my face is also a cyst - even though it looks small it is super tender to the touch and hurts when I lay on that side of my face. I also added a picture of me from September to show how quickly my skin transformed. Bummmmer.

post-66079-1259124828_thumb.jpg

post-66079-1259124838_thumb.jpg

post-66079-1259125166_thumb.jpg

post-66079-1259124828_thumb.jpg

post-66079-1259124838_thumb.jpg

post-66079-1259125166_thumb.jpg

Edited by mallory

day 2

Okay, I know I said I wouldn't post everyday in the beginning because it would be long and boring, but whattya know... here I am. :shrug:

Soooo, it makes me SUPER uncomfortable to post pictures of my face online(especially since this is the worst it's ever been)... BUT... I'm going to stop being so vain and just do it. Who cares.

I've taken 2 pills so far, nothing new to report besides the fact that I had a headache all day today. Not sure if it's related or not because I get headaches pretty frequently.

I also forgot to mention in my first post that my cholesterol was extremely high. I got really nervous about this at first, but then my derm said that it's almost always genetic and to blame my parents. She said that although it won't effect my course, that it's still serious and I should make it my personal goal to lower it next month. Afterwards I called my mom and asked her about it and she said that every single person in her family has issues with it. I'm not really sure what else to do because I'm pretty active (I play college-level tennis and practice 5/7 days/week) and eat pretty well (besides my intense love for chocolate. haha.) I read online that alcohol consumption can bring down cholesterol levels really quickly if a woman has about 2 drinks per day. I'm not going to do that, I just think it's funny. The next sentence read, "The American Heart Association does not recommend this as a primary form of lowering cholesterol." Haha.

Anyway, I'm tired so I'm rambling... onto the pictures - the huge bright red cluster is an area where I break out often. Right now, there are 2 cysts in that patch but they're slooooowly going away. The bright red spot on the right side of my face is also a cyst - even though it looks small it is super tender to the touch and hurts when I lay on that side of my face. I also added a picture of me from September to show how quickly my skin transformed. Bummmmer.

Im so scared that when i get my blood work done my cholesterol will be high :/ It was perfect to start with so I hope it stays that way. Im sorry to hear/see your breakout, I feel your pain on that one. My face started to get really oily after a couple days, it was strange, almost sticky? Let us know what happens in the first few days, if anything. best of luck!

day 2

Im so scared that when i get my blood work done my cholesterol will be high :/ It was perfect to start with so I hope it stays that way. Im sorry to hear/see your breakout, I feel your pain on that one. My face started to get really oily after a couple days, it was strange, almost sticky? Let us know what happens in the first few days, if anything. best of luck!

Well, my Dr. said that it shouldn't effect my course, but of course I'm still nervous about it - imagine that! Haha. I woke up this morning sooo oily. It's not usually that bad, but I don't really want to contribute it to accutane since it's still so early, but maybe? I kind of feel like I'm looking for things to happen... ;)

Anyway, thanks and good luck to you, too! I'll stop in and see how you're doing every once in awhile :)

wow! your acne looks EXACTLY like mine....and seems like it happened exactly like mine.I had BEAUTIFUL skin all through High School and for some reason, the summer after my junior year of college, my face just exploded. Its been about a year and a half now that I've been dealing with it, and I've already scarred significantly. It gets better and then gets way worse. I have a derm appointment next week...think I'm going to take the plunge and ask for 'tane. I'm concerned with the side effects but not to the point where it would scare me off. Did you ask your derm for it or did she/he suggest it? Keep going, it will all be worth it ive heard. Best of luck!!!

Jackie

You're pretty. I especially like your eyebrows (neat but thick). Yes, I notice the weirdest things, :).

That is all.

Jacattack86 - Hey! Thanks for the support! Crazy how our skin turns on us so quickly, huh? I wasn't really a fan of the derm I had been going to (he was always rushed, never really told me what to expect, just wasted my time in general,) so I recently switched to a different derm. She walked in, and within 30 seconds asked me if I'd ever heard of Accutane. It was pretty easy and I was thrilled! I hope your derm appt. goes well next week! Good luck!

kimminz Aw, thanks! :) Everyone here is so nice, makes this whole situation soooo much easier!

day 3

Yes, I am still reporting when there's nothing to report even though I said I wouldn't. :whistle:

The only thing I notice is that my eyes are really dry when I get up in the morning. This could be due to Accutane or the fact that I'm visiting home and my parents have cats. Not sure.

I'm pretty much bummed out about the fact that I have to see my entireeee family tomorrow while my face is so broken out. Also, all of my friends get together every year for 'friend Thanksgiving,' and I HATE that I have to endure yet another year in my friend's terrible fluorescent lit basement with shitty skin. Grrrrrreat! Lots of awkward head tilts and hair positioning is in store for tomorrow, hahah.

I'm moving back in with my parents next week because I'm graduating college early and I can't find ANYWHERE that wants to hire an entry level designer. I feel pretty lame for this - but since I don't want to stay in Chicago, and I don't want to stay in Indianapolis, I feel like it's the responsible thing to do at the moment in case I get a job offer across the country. So, if anyone know of anywhere looking for graphic designers and wants to help a sister out, let me know. ;)

Okay, that's probably enough non-acne related information for today... Ha.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving!

just wanted to say good luck! i seriously feel your pain! my skin has been great the last 2 years and now its a nightmare! argh! it sucks! but hopefully this will be the last time we have to worry about it right?

you should start eating cheerios! dont the commercials say they lower cholesterol? lol.

good luck again! im pulling for ya!

: )

just wanted to say good luck! i seriously feel your pain! my skin has been great the last 2 years and now its a nightmare! argh! it sucks! but hopefully this will be the last time we have to worry about it right?

you should start eating cheerios! dont the commercials say they lower cholesterol? lol.

good luck again! im pulling for ya!

: )

Ha, that's so funny that you mention Cheerios because my Dr. actually mentioned it to me, weirdly enough! She also suggested oatmeal in the morning. I'm not really a fan of oatmeal, but I guess I could suck it up.

And yeah, I really really hope this is the last time we'll have to worry about it!! Thanks, and good luck to you, too. :)

Today was day 3 for me, too! Looks like we are in this together, haha. Good luck with everything!

Haha, yay for us! Good luck to you, too!! I'll be sure to check out your log and see how you're doing :)

Edited by mallory

Jacattack86 - Hey! Thanks for the support! Crazy how our skin turns on us so quickly, huh? I wasn't really a fan of the derm I had been going to (he was always rushed, never really told me what to expect, just wasted my time in general,) so I recently switched to a different derm. She walked in, and within 30 seconds asked me if I'd ever heard of Accutane. It was pretty easy and I was thrilled! I hope your derm appt. goes well next week! Good luck!

kimminz Aw, thanks! :) Everyone here is so nice, makes this whole situation soooo much easier!

day 3

Yes, I am still reporting when there's nothing to report even though I said I wouldn't. :whistle:

The only thing I notice is that my eyes are really dry when I get up in the morning. This could be due to Accutane or the fact that I'm visiting home and my parents have cats. Not sure.

I'm pretty much bummed out about the fact that I have to see my entireeee family tomorrow while my face is so broken out. Also, all of my friends get together every year for 'friend Thanksgiving,' and I HATE that I have to endure yet another year in my friend's terrible fluorescent lit basement with shitty skin. Grrrrrreat! Lots of awkward head tilts and hair positioning is in store for tomorrow, hahah.

I'm moving back in with my parents next week because I'm graduating college early and I can't find ANYWHERE that wants to hire an entry level designer. I feel pretty lame for this - but since I don't want to stay in Chicago, and I don't want to stay in Indianapolis, I feel like it's the responsible thing to do at the moment in case I get a job offer across the country. So, if anyone know of anywhere looking for graphic designers and wants to help a sister out, let me know. ;)

Okay, that's probably enough non-acne related information for today... Ha.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Change will come in the next few days so be prepared, have your visine, water and chapstick all ready to hydrate. LOL.

Its not lame, im 19 and just now finishing high school, I live with my MA. I think in these hard times its a good chance to stick together and really enjoy your family, dont feel lame for making the responsible decision. As long as your following what you feel best then your exactlly where you need to be. Enjoy your family, if anything it gives you a break to catch your breath and reflect on other things. Congrats on finshing college early, I wish I could say that ive done that (LOL).

Take care gorgeous.

flyboykp Ha, I'm definitely prepared! Even my dad said today, "Mallory, do you think you could put some of these products in your own bathroom?" Haha! I'm taking over the house. I'm sure they're thrillled. The only thing I have now is SUPER dry eyes... doesn't bother me much, though. Anyway, thanks for stopping by :) Hope things are going well for you!!

kimberlyann Aw thanks... So are you! I actually used to kind of keep up with your log every once in awhile when I was trying to figure out if I wanted to be on Accutane or not. I just checked it out again, and your skin is looking great! So glad things are going well for you!! :)

day 5

Wellllll, I don't have a ton of news but my eyes are definitely taking the hit first. :( They're super dry. It almost makes me feel tired. Maybe I am just lazy, haha!? I've noticed that my back is aching a bit, too. Nothing is really bothering me tooooo much, though.

Skin wise... Eh... my breakout on the left side of my face is healing... it's sooo much easier to cover with make up now compared to a few days ago. I'm not sure if it's too early for this, but my pores on my nose look a lot more distinguished. They're not necessarily popping out like I've heard they might, but they're definitely there. I never really had issues with my pores... they have been the least of my worries skin-wise. I'm also getting really weird little spots that keep randomly popping up. They're not really a huge deal because I can cover them with make up really easily, but it's still different.

I have friend thanksgiving tonight and I'm kind of dreading it. I even considered not going, but eh, whatever, I'm going. I'm not sure why I care, I've been friends with these people for years and yearssss. It will be fun.

Okay, I need to stop procrastinating and get ready. Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Edited by mallory

The dry eyes have started for me too. It kinda makes me just want to curl up and go to sleep - but I don't know why! I just put some drops in so I'm hoping that calms down the dryness. I'm sure sitting in front of this laptop isn't helping, lol

day 6

Not sure if this is the beginning of an IB or not, but I definitely have a couple of new actives within 12 hours, which really sucks. They're just hard swollen areas, so I'm hoping and hopingggg that they're not cysts, really don't wanna deal with that right now. I woke up this morning and my face wasn't oily. It's usually really oily in the morning, then I wash my face, it stays matte for a few hours, then oil central again. Today it's gotten oily again, but definitely not like usual. Wow, how many times can I say "oily" in one paragraph? Gross. Oh, and my lips are definitely drying out.

I'm taking a break right now from packing up my apartment. I'm really not sure how I managed to collect so much useless crap. My mom came up to help and she keeps making little comments about how I do things. For example, she doesn't understand why I stack my towels under my sink when I have shelves in my bathroom. What I don't understand is why she caaaaaares... especially when I'm moving out tomorrow. Haha, Yeah, I'm venting... too much time with mom in an open loft apartment = annoying. Oh well, she's a mom... it's her job.

I'm kind of freaking out a little about staying with a friend next week while I finish up finals. See, I'm staying with her in her STUDIO apartment. She's never seen me without makeup except for over the summer when my skin was super clear. She has perfect skin, by the way, ya know... ZERO visible pores, never one pimple on her face, never oily... Bitch! Haha. Just kidding. Kind of.

Okay, I have to get back to packing... yayyy...

day 6

Not sure if this is the beginning of an IB or not, but I definitely have a couple of new actives within 12 hours, which really sucks. They're just hard swollen areas, so I'm hoping and hopingggg that they're not cysts, really don't wanna deal with that right now. I woke up this morning and my face wasn't oily. It's usually really oily in the morning, then I wash my face, it stays matte for a few hours, then oil central again. Today it's gotten oily again, but definitely not like usual. Wow, how many times can I say "oily" in one paragraph? Gross. Oh, and my lips are definitely drying out.

I'm taking a break right now from packing up my apartment. I'm really not sure how I managed to collect so much useless crap. My mom came up to help and she keeps making little comments about how I do things. For example, she doesn't understand why I stack my towels under my sink when I have shelves in my bathroom. What I don't understand is why she caaaaaares... especially when I'm moving out tomorrow. Haha, Yeah, I'm venting... too much time with mom in an open loft apartment = annoying. Oh well, she's a mom... it's her job.

I'm kind of freaking out a little about staying with a friend next week while I finish up finals. See, I'm staying with her in her STUDIO apartment. She's never seen me without makeup except for over the summer when my skin was super clear. She has perfect skin, by the way, ya know... ZERO visible pores, never one pimple on her face, never oily... Bitch! Haha. Just kidding. Kind of.

Okay, I have to get back to packing... yayyy...

I HATE packing. LOL. Its the devil. Well good luck with the move, hopefully it goes smoothly.

Well lets hope that staying with your friend can be a good thing, isnt it kind of a comfort that shes seen you with clear skin before? I almost feel like its a redeeming feeling when someone has seen me with clear skin, almost like they know the real you and realize that its a temporary struggle. Hope all goes well! take care =]

day 7

Okay, so maybe earlier this morning was a little dramatic. I did wake up with about 3 cysts, and 2 inflamed spots, and this morning it looked terrible. The cysts have gone down a bit, thank god. It's not even so much that they look awful (because they do), but they really hurt. Last night I kept noticing it when I'd smile. What a pain. I don't remember ever having this many cysts at once. Usually, I'd get about 1 or 2 a month - but lately, I have multiples at a time. Also, my lips were really dry earlier today, but it seems like they've gone back to normal. My face doesn't look red yet at all. I did notice that it isn't as oily today, which is awesomeeee :)

I'm sort of in a bad mood because my landlord is such a douchebag. I bought a huge tv a few months ago and I knew it would suck to move out of my apartment today. Well, I had this genius idea to drive my car into the garage of my building, then carry it down with my dad. (I don't have a spot in my building, but I'm allowed to get in and out of the underground garage with my keys.) So, my car is down there for a total of MAYBE 13 minutes. The landlord pulls up and makes a huge stink about it like I am disrupting people's lives or something. First of all, I've only seen him 1 time EVER, and I've lived in this building for a year and a half. I'm kind of freaked out that the one time I do something against the building rules, he's there in a matter of 10 minutes. Weeeeeeird. So, he said something like, "You didn't incovenience anyone but me... THIS TIME." or something so stupid. Okay, so it doesn't sound that bad, but he is probably 40 years old and wears really tight spandex-like tshirts and greases his curly hair back. Something about him just really irks me. He's so arrogant, too. Whoa, I can't believe I just typed so much about my landlord. I hope he doesn't check the org. I really want my deposit back. Anyway, MORAL OF THE STORY, don't live in apartment buildings where your landlord sucks.

I'm sitting in my completely empty apartment right now on the wood floors drinking tap water out of a paper cup. Bahaha. Really roughin' it. Only until 8 o'clock when my friend gets back into the city on the train.

Okay, I'm really just bored, so if anyone read through this entire post that's dedication.

Also, if I don't update for a few days, it's because I'm at my friend's apartment and I'm not really sure that I'm totally cool with her knowing that I have time to update a log about new cysts that develop on my face. :shifty: Haha. Hope everyone is doing well!

Edited by mallory

Also, if I don't update for a few days, it's because I'm at my friend's apartment and I'm not really sure that I'm totally cool with her knowing that I have time to update a log about new cysts that develop on my face. :shifty: Haha. Hope everyone is doing well!

Haha, I hear ya! My sister is the only person who knows about this log. I don't think it's something I'm going to be discussing with my friends over lunch or at a party. I can imagine it now... "Yea, so I have this log online where I tell other people with acne about how many pimples I have each day and how my skin is so dry it's peeling off my face. We talk about meds and cleaners and talk a WHOLE lot about moisturizing!" ...I'm sure they would think I'm insane.

I think I'm starting the IB too. I have had 3 cysts and 4 whiteheads pop up today. This is intense.

Hope your face starts to clear up soon. Hang in there!

Haha, I hear ya! My sister is the only person who knows about this log. I don't think it's something I'm going to be discussing with my friends over lunch or at a party. I can imagine it now... "Yea, so I have this log online where I tell other people with acne about how many pimples I have each day and how my skin is so dry it's peeling off my face. We talk about meds and cleaners and talk a WHOLE lot about moisturizing!" ...I'm sure they would think I'm insane.

I think I'm starting the IB too. I have had 3 cysts and 4 whiteheads pop up today. This is intense.

Hope your face starts to clear up soon. Hang in there!

Haha, exactly my thoughts about the log. It is pretty funny when you really think about how people would react if you told them about it.

Ah, sounds like we're the same with the IB... I really hope it's the IB anyway. I mean, not that I'm looking forward to it or anything, but if I'm going to have a break out I hope it's the one and only, even if it is big and nasty. I can deal. I'm trying SO hard not to pick at it! Anyway, thanks, and I hope you clear up soon, too! :)

Edited by mallory