Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi,

I have just had dermabrasion today on my right cheek. I had it mainly done over one area of the cheek probably a circle area 3 inches in circumference and 1 area lower on the cheek like an inch circumference.

I had subcision done about 5 months ago with some help over my rolling scars. Probably 20-30 percent improvement.

My doctor is skilled in acne scar procedures such as dermabrasion and subcision and others...and said that dermal grafting or punch grafting was for people with much worse scarring than I had.

I am a little nervous though because I have been reading some of the reviews in the treatement reviews section and people had some not too positive experiences with dermabrasion. It seems like 50/50 as far as help goes.

I have to return to work about a week from today so I hope whatever happens that I can cover my skin with makeup.

If you had dermabrasion and can please post about your improvement, and what happened after...please let me know I would GREATLY appreciate it. Let me know also how it was after the procedure and downtime and all that.

Thank you.

Ive had dermabrasion done 4 times about 6 years ago and i loved the outcome...I was red as a tomato for about 2 days but after that my skin was smooth and glowing, was even able to start using my Retin-a again 3 days after the treatment :D Btw way i had my whole face done and believe me the first time i was soooo nervous because my skin is EXTREMELY sensitive and thought i would scar or my acne would get worse but that wasnt the case at all. Good Luck with everything, keep me posted on how it goes

hey thanks for the response, you had dermabrasion 4 times in that time period? you're sure it wasn't microdermabrasion?

what type of scarring did you have/were you getting treated?

How much improvement did you get?

I'm going to avoid being in the sun for a while...and I replaced my bandage today and applied vaseline as per the doc's instructions...did you have to do this as well?

You were able to use retin A after 3 days? that seems very soon...As I'm looking at my treated area on my right cheek I would describe the area as very raw...and possibly able to scab in a day or two...although vaseline should prevent that. I hope by the weekend it is significantly better.

I'm a fair skinned white guy so I don't think I should suffer any pigmentation issues...did you have any hyperpigmentation and/or discoloration? If so did it go away/ how long?

My doc supposedly is very good at this and has been doing for a while...

thanks again.

had dermabrasion 13 years ago, chin to up just above my eyes. Doc was actually

good from what i've heard, since retired.

I remember putting on a vaseline type ointment, perhaps polysporin?? Its funny,

because i have a high immunity to meds, I was semi-conscious during the procedure

with my eyes closed. I still remember a quote from my doc to the nurse about a

scar on my right cheek, "its too deep". He couldn't sand deep enough to get the

scar.

My main recommendation is to avoid, avoid, avoid, avoid, avoid the sun like the plague.

Do not go out in the sun for any extended period of time. You're totally exposed

to the UV rays now.

Wish I knew what topical for you to use??? I'm just not knowledgable enough.

Perhaps read what Fernandez wrote in his dermaroling articles about vitamin a,

a hormone controlling a lot of skin functions.

The texture of my skin definately changed (white male) in the area sanded off.

Its hard to explain, less natural and lighter. For a time it looked better, but began

looking worse the last 3 years or so. To be honest, was never really happy with

the procedure. I have a feeling the procedure has improved. I think you are going

to have great results if you take care of yourself for a few months.

You need to be juicing raw vegtables at least twice a day to feed your new skin

growing. The next few months is critical to live healthy, rest, juice, take some

good protein, and also for sure vitamin D (with K is good), don't drink. You won't be in

the sun so you won't be getting D from sunlight (you can't really overdose on D

so dont worry too much). Multivitamin, some vitamin C.

I remember crying in the shower when I washed my face without the top layer of

skin on at first. Boy it hurt a lot.

I really wish you the best of luck and hope my thoughts were helpful.

Edited by scoobie_do

hey scoobie, did the dermabrasion help with your scarring? How long of downtime did you have? Were you able to return to work after a week?

If your skin wasn't less lighter/natural would you have been happy? I hope I do not experience discoloration like I've heard.

What do you mean by "juicing"? Do you mean making homemade veggie juices for nutrients? Any recommendations as far as what veggies to juice...assume you use a blender also?

Thanks for the reply. I'll be out of the sun for a while...I guess I won't be able to use tazorac or retin a for at least 2 weeks probably more like 3 weeks to a month...hopefully can use benzaclin after a couple to 3 weeks...and will be careful shaving also.

and most important hope I look decent enough to return to work next monday without any coverup but I have some coverup if necessary.

hey scoobie, did the dermabrasion help with your scarring? How long of downtime did you have? Were you able to return to work after a week?

If your skin wasn't less lighter/natural would you have been happy? I hope I do not experience discoloration like I've heard.

What do you mean by "juicing"? Do you mean making homemade veggie juices for nutrients? Any recommendations as far as what veggies to juice...assume you use a blender also?

Thanks for the reply. I'll be out of the sun for a while...I guess I won't be able to use tazorac or retin a for at least 2 weeks probably more like 3 weeks to a month...hopefully can use benzaclin after a couple to 3 weeks...and will be careful shaving also.

and most important hope I look decent enough to return to work next monday without any coverup but I have some coverup if necessary.

My dermabrasion must have been more extensive (deeper) than yours, I was out

2 months. It did help with scarring (the plus) a lot, but left the skin a different texture.

Yeah, just juicing carrots, greens, an apple, etc.

just have a quick sec...... also for UV protection you might get a window tint at an auto

supply store ( a company i found online blocks 99% I think but I can't remember the

name). You'd have to install it in a garage. A great company for facial protection

from UV is coolibar (they look a little strange, but what the heck). Also if you ride a

motorcycle there is a full face helmet with a visor that blocks UV ( i used a lot this summer).

best wishes

I ride a car, but usually in the morning isn't too sunny and can get to the office quickly before sun really hits me ( also will wear sunblock)

you must have had a very deep dermabrasion...I'm on day 2 I look very red in the area and not sure if I'll scab up but I'll post back and let you know...you were out for 2 months that is very long.

I've had two deep, full-face dermabrasions - my first one was 15 years ago & my second one was 10 years ago. I LOVED them. I had tremendous improvement with both. The best advice I can give you is to take it easy - let your skin heal and be happy that you did something nice for yourself! Attitude can really effect healing, so pamper yourself and your face. My poor skin had been through so much with the years and years and years of battling cystic acne, that I considered the dermabrasion as a sort of spa experience. I slept a lot, rented movies and read stacks of books. I ate REALLY healthy food and had fresh squeezed wheat grass juice every day. I was very, very patient with my skin and just let it heal on its own. Two weeks after the procedure I was pretty much back to normal except for the pinkness which didn't bother me at all. I wore lots of sunscreen & big wide-brimmed fabulous hats. Baseball caps and wide-brimmed tennis visors were perfect for exercising outdoors or just running errands. I do think the tinted, UV-blocking car windows are a good idea too. This kind of mindfulness about constant sun protection was a great habit that I picked up after the dermabrasion, so I'm thankful for that too!!

You will be fine! Congratulations on doing something nice for yourself & keep us posted on your recovery.

Thanks for the reply

you did your whole face...I did only my right cheek and an oval (3 inches around) from top to bottom in center of cheek area...

My worry is that since I did only that area that the skin will not blend in back to normal in the end of healing after whatever time period...be it a month, 2 months, a year...whenever... just nervous as I didn't really know about pigmentation risks prior to the procedure and my entire face would probably blend much more if i did the entire face...

I feel kinda helpless as I learned a lot through research after the procedure and didn't know a lot going in. Spoke to the nurse on the phone today and seemed very reassuring and confident that my skin would blend in naturally after a couple months...

Did you use vaseline after yours? Aloe? Anything like that? The nurse said just stick to the vaseline as the skin is very new.

That is a great question:

First off from my research there are different levels of dermabrasion performed with different devices...(some more invasive, some less)

www.dermabrasion.info is the website I think with lots of info.

Redness in the sense of raw redness from the procedure and healing skin is supposed to be 2 weeks - 3 weeks when the skin basically scabs or peels off and a new pinkish skin comes up.

Currently on day 8 my skin is starting to peel...isn't really too painful anymore but is still reddish.

The pinkishness probably decreases with time or so I've heard but is supposed to decrease significantly after a month and more signifcantly in the 1-3 months phase. Hyper pigmentation if you are fair skinned generally lasts 6 months to a year if minor or longer if serious....from what I've heard.

That is all I know currently. I'll post more as the healing progresses. I sure hope it blends well or I'll have an oval like pink area on my right cheek for some time... I currently am wearing a bandaid on my cheek to work (kind of annoying as people have asked me why)...so that is basically where things are at.

I'm considering getting something done about my scars too.

They've been there for about 6 months now.

Can anyone tell me if this can be fixed?

I would say its mild- just a few brown spots but man does it get to me.. you can't really notice unless your pretty close but I deal with people all day at school and work.

Thanks for your input guys.

post-117281-1259693062_thumb.jpg

post-117281-1259693062_thumb.jpg

Caveman, you should probably make your own post on the forum to get everyone's opinion...this post is specifically about dermabrasion.

Go to your derm for starters get on a topical retinoid and make sure no acne is there...If you don't jhave pits/depressed scarring then you can do peels and microdermabrasion.

Day 10

Skin bettter overall...still pinkish/reddish oval where it was done...currently still wearing a bandaid to work during the daytime and taking off bandaid in evenings.

Applying vaseline still to promote healing of area although no more scabbing or peeling...

Much less noticeable than on monday however still noticeable to me/comparison to normal colored skin.

Guys, what's the difference between dermabrasion and microdermabrasion? Microdermabrasion uses tiny crystals that clear up the skin and then are moved around and sucked into a vacuum. Sounds so good for the skin - I've read up on it alot.

I wanted to get it, as many acne websites say it's good for BOTH scarring AND active acne. But my beauty therapist says HELL NO because it will make be break out even more and she said it's only for people with scarring or strong skin.

I don't really think this is so.

Anyone?

brissy,

Microdermabrasion is like a very minor form of dermabrasion. it is superficial. I know very little about the procedure so I would google it a lot and find out more. What I do know is the downtime is like a day if that...and is mainly for a little bit of discoloration...and would take about 5 or 6 to see any kind of significant improvement...depending on what you have. I did DERMAbrasion which is basically using a form of wirebrush that scrapes off your skin down to the dermis which is below the epidermis...it is a much stronger procedure that is controversial but also has yielded some success.

It's controversial because for asians,blacks and olive skinned people it can change the coloring of their skin leading in permanent changes. It is only recommended for fair skinned people really. I did it in a focal area about 3 inch circle on my right cheek and it is still healing 2 weeks 1 day later.

I would describe the skin as reddish/pinkish in the very main area that was dermabraded...pinkish in other areas and starting to become more skin colored in the outer areas of it...but still fairly different coloring than my skin...Now this is 2 weeks 1 day out...I am expecting to have some coloration difference for about 1 month to 2 months...probably completely back to normal at 6 weeks I'd say. I predict by next Monday I will be much more skin colored...

Do your research but microdermabrasion is very light procedure. If that is all you need than go for it.

I would say read up a lot before doing anything and take some internet research with a grain of salt also because this is such a variable type thing...find a doc that you trust that is proven and ask a lot of questions before doing anything.

If you have light scarring I'd recommend facial peels, microderm, tca cross, and using a topical retinoid like Retin A.

You can even do microdermabrasiona t home. Neutrogena sells a home kit.

Probably isn't the same though.

Thanks sportsguy! Lucky I checked my email just before I went to sleep. Okay, so dermabrasion is more 'controversial', 'abrasive' and arguably more 'effective' - you'd assume that microdermabrasion would be the more abrasive one: 'micro'

Anyway, thanks for the heads up!

My only qualm is whether you can use it on scarring and acne acne. My beauty therapist said it'll only break me out even more.

get rid of your acne first.

A good regimen for acne.

I still am taking care of acne.

I use tazorac .1% gel at nights sometimes every other night sometimes every night.

I use benzaclin in mornings

You can get minocycline if you need a little extra help.

I use cetaphil extra gentle wash.

get a moisturizer like olay oil free with spf 15 and use that before you apply tazorac at first.

Use a moisturizer after a thin layer of benzaclin in mornings after it dries.

Clear acne first.

Micro is the lesser one with less downtime yes.

Dermabrasion is more downtime and more risky for certain skin tones.

get rid of your acne first.

A good regimen for acne.

I still am taking care of acne.

I use tazorac .1% gel at nights sometimes every other night sometimes every night.

I use benzaclin in mornings

You can get minocycline if you need a little extra help.

I use cetaphil extra gentle wash.

get a moisturizer like olay oil free with spf 15 and use that before you apply tazorac at first.

Use a moisturizer after a thin layer of benzaclin in mornings after it dries.

Clear acne first.

Micro is the lesser one with less downtime yes.

Dermabrasion is more downtime and more risky for certain skin tones.

hey im also considering getting dermabrasion on an ugly scar on the middle of my forehead. About how much does this procedue cost?

I would assume both are pretty expensive as microdermabrasion is around $100 or so. You could buy home kits? I would be weary though.

Okay, so it's for scarring. Damm.

If anyone has had good results please keep us updated.

For the procedure I got one main area on my right cheek was 250.00...so I guess by logic it would be 500 for the whole face...

I've heard of lot's of crazy prices from other posters saying they paid 4000+ for a dr called Dr. Y.

That is extremely expensive for this procedure I'd say even with the most skilled derm in the world because essentially they are just shaving down your skin and it costs them virtually nothing but their talent and time...

Anyways,

Definitely get rid of your acne first. If you're interested in Microdermabrasion google that because I don't have anymore info.

Dermabrasion I think the site is www.dermabrasion.info will give you a better idea of the procedure.

I am now 2 weeks 2 days out.

The focal area of the procedure over the main scar is still reddish.

Picture the skin beign a 3 inch oval and in that oval a 1 cm circle that was the focal point of the procedure.

Outside the 1 cm circle skin is becoming what I would describe as "light pinkish/more skin colored."

Inside that 1 cm area which was dermabraded pretty strong it is still reddish so the healing is taking time.

Should be better at 3 weeks point next monday. At 4 weeks should be to the point where I can hopefully be comfortable without makeup or a small bandage. At 6 weeks I am hoping that it is back to normal....hoping.

I am not using any makeup for those of you that are wondering because I don't want to risk irritating it, in fact I refuse to use it for the first month period.

Right now I have a fairly medium sized square bandage I'm using for my right cheek (embarrassing at work)...but it is what it is.

next week wills witch to a smaller bandage and then it's holiday time so doesn't really matter around then.

After bandages eventually come off I'm going to use SPF70 to protect from sun even during minimal exposure.

Just remember the SPF doesn't really matter.

I use a great sunscreen that's only SPF 16 (legally it's labeled SPF15 I think) and it's also a moisturiser with lots of antioxidants.

The SPF only relates to the amount of TIME you spend out in the sun.

eg;

SPF 30 = 30 times longer than your skin's protection

I find that SPF's of more than 30 are really greasy and I'm happy with my SPF16.

Just make sure it's broad spectrum which means it protects you from AVA ('ageing') and AVB ('burn') rays.