Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
basing

Start 26/11 : 90mg accutane 4m, M 37

So, I've still got acne, more moderate than in my younger years but certainly not something i'm going to 'grow out of' as the dermatoligist suggested last week!

Anyway, she agreed to put me on a second course of roaccutane (the first one was when I was 23) since it has got gradually worse since I turned 30 after many years of relatively clear skin.

Compared to others the dose seems quite high - 90mg per day, but then I weigh 92kgs so thats probably why (its all muscle i'm sure!)

Can't really remember the side effects much apart from the very dry lips and eyes, so lets see how it goes this time.

History:

Age 13 to 15 Topical solutions (Retin A)

Age 15 to 22 Oxytetracycline 250mg

Age 23-24 Roaccutane 70mg for 4 months

Age 24-27 Moisturised normal skin

Age 28-30 Gradually oilier skin and a few spots - Oxy 5 / Clearasil level (OTC products)

Age 30-37 Ongoing Spots on back,neck, nose - breakouts followed by clearer periods but clearer times reducing

Age 37 - Roaccutane 90mg for 4 months

Edited by basing

So, i've started. Nothing to report at the mo, except my face seems to have gone really shiny already!

Got the lip balm ready and some moisturiser and some mild shampoo.

Otherwise, got to wait to see what happens...

Hey : )

I'm just stopping by to wish you luck on your course!

Take care now.

Thanks Kimberley, your results are very good (been looking at your log). Glad to see I'm not the only one having to go through this more than once.

I also had the concerns over been given retin-A topical solutions and sure enough that is what the derm said I should have. After a lot of pressure from me though she gave in, and though my acne isn't that bad (I know a lot would say its not a problem), I really hope I can get past having to deal with spots on a daily basis.

Thanks again!

Martin

Day 4:

Well, things are gradually changing. Since it's late November and there is no way I will see the sun in the UK, its strange that my face looks as if I've got mild sunburn! It feels like its glowing now, and my lips are already getting dryer. Back to carrying round lip balm now then.

Other than that, nothing else is different as of yet....

Quick update:

Day 5: My skin was so red today and itching like mad especially my scalp. It has driven me mad!

Got good lips still as I keep putting on lip balm but as for the rest of me it all looks very sore.

Later in the evening, I realised I had lines of dryness across my face and under my nose is beginning to peel.

Went to the Chemists and bought Sanex Shower Gel with mosituriser in it and E45 cream to slap over my skin.

Came home and covered my face and scalp with E45 and left it to saok it. Finally some relief!

Day 6: Doesn't feel quite so tender today

Had a shower with Sanex which really helped. Bought E45 Shampoo as well and this seems to have stopped the itching on my scalp.

Again smothered my face in E45 and let it dry before heading to work.

Ok, I look a bit shiny, but I've told everyone why I look a bit weird, and at least it feels a bit more comfortable.

Used E45 cream to style my hair today!

What you do to try and be rid of Acne!

I feel sorry for you if you feel embarrased by the horrible side effects (especially those that are a lot younger than me) - I remember how self concious I was when I was 23 and having the first tane treatment.

Just remember - It should be worth it in the end!

Day 7

My skin has stopped getting any redder!

I'm now slapping on E45 cream every morning and accepting I need to be a bit shiny in order to get through the day.

Skin feels very tight but just about manageable.

Stopped putting any kind of gel etc on my hair and my skalp has stopped itching.

Lips seem to dry out every 30 mins or so.

Got spots coming up where I don't usually have any, so looking a bit of a mess

Other than that everything OK!

How bad is your acne. Am 35 and about 7 years ago i went on accutance and it clear me but all of sudden i got bad skin starting in augusts. It was really weird as i had really clear skin march to june this year without one spots as i usually get one round my period and then i got acne.My derm will not let me go on accutance as it only mild but i have lock myself indoors with depression. How did you get to go on it again?Am from the uk aswell. I felt cross as i don't think he look at my notes from last time. Am 35 and get told i look 24 so am not sure if he even know my age.

How bad is your acne. Am 35 and about 7 years ago i went on accutance and it clear me but all of sudden i got bad skin starting in augusts. It was really weird as i had really clear skin march to june this year without one spots as i usually get one round my period and then i got acne.My derm will not let me go on accutance as it only mild but i have lock myself indoors with depression. How did you get to go on it again?Am from the uk aswell. I felt cross as i don't think he look at my notes from last time. Am 35 and get told i look 24 so am not sure if he even know my age.

Hi Junior

My acne in recent years has been a case of a couple of spots on my face, at least one larger one in the beard area of my neck and half a dozen on the top of my back or back of my neck all the time. It started with just the odd spot of course from 30 or so.

How did I get on it - well - I initially went to a private dermatologist (paid through work) because of a persistent wart to get it frozen. She spotted my acne and took at look at it and I told her my history with acne. She said I should definately go back on Roaccutane, but then I found out this is not covered by BUPA and it would cost £3500 or so. She wrote to an NHS dermatologist for me and then I waited 3 months to see her.

The NHS response was very different - 'your acne is only mild, we have budgetary restrictions and yours isn't bad enough, if it worries you that much why have you waited so long to ask about it etc'. I was annoyed and argued the point - 'why should I put up with acne at 37, it affects my confidence, I don't want to go back to what I was trying at 17 until she finally (reluctantly) accepted the only thing I'd accept was been allowed another course of roaccuatane.

Now, I have to say that my acne is nowhere near as bad as it was for the first course, and I think that is why I am struggling more with dryness this time. I had totally forgotten how bad the side affects are. Getting this far though, its a price worth paying if I can finally be clear of acne forever.

I wish you luck, Martin

Day 8

Nothing much new to report today, just using moisturiser a lot, even during the day sat at my desk (I'll put up with the taunts I really don't care) and this seems to be reducing the redness.

My skin is very dry when I have washed off my face, but is smooth as a babies bottom!

The great news is that spots are just drying up and falling off, they don't stand a chance with this treatment. Even my neck is looking better already.

It does not surprise me that you had to make a big fuss to get on accutane. The NHS is useless they have no ideal what it like to suffer with acne at any age but especally at our age or older.Good luck and i hope you don't get to many side effects .Am sure you be glad you done it when your skin is clear

Day 9

Skin is very dry now, woke up to find flakiness on my forrid and cheeks.

Still look red, but just have to put up with it.

Certainly the case that the spots I had are disappearing and haven't got new ones replacing them.

Vivid dreams - I keep been able to remember all the details of what I have dreamt - not just generally, but all the details as if I actually lived it! It's quite funny.

Day 10

Woah, flaky! My nose has 'holes' of dryness in it now, but, now its all cracking up it feels more comfortable.

Its a joy to find that lumps I've had under my skin forever so it seems, that never develop into a spot are been drawn up very quickly and I can flick them off with my nail.

Have a lot of blackheads on my chest and tops of my legs that are just been pushed right through the surface.

It's so tempting to keep picking but trying to leave things alone if possible.

E45 is my best friend at the moment!

Hope this log is useful to others. Not one to keep a diary normally, and be so observant of my own problems, but I know other peoples logs helped me to decide accuatane was the way forward.

Guest Leajer424

Hey, you wrote the same thing on my log (which prompted me to read yours) but your situation sounds JUST like mine. I hope we both come out of our Tane rounds with the same benefits as we did the first time. :pray: It's crazy how it comes back after ten years...I joke with my friends and say "I hope I don't have to take it again when I'm 38!", but really it's depressing. I'm gonna focus on here and now though. I have faith that you and I both will come out the other end of our Tane rounds better off. :) yay for accutane!! :clap:

Day 11

I love the weekend! A chance to moisturise like crazy, get away from the horrible office heating that is killing my skin and try to improve things a bit.

Thanks to other peoples logs I have seen that a lot of people split their pills over the day (two doses rather than one), so I have tried doing this from today. I got no advice on this from our wonderful NHS Dermatologists.

Think I may have overdosed a bit as a result today though - landed up with stomach ache and my joints really hurt for a few hours

Day 12

This seems to be better. Only took the 50mg this morning, will take the other 40mg with dinner tonight. Not quite as red in the face as I seem to get a few hours after taking 90mg. Joints not aching today and the somach ache has gone.

Trying more new products.

E45 Cream is great!!!!!!!

Unlike the E45 lotion I have been using this last week, this still provides a lot of moisture for my face but without the initial sting when I apply it. I guess its probably meant more for using on your hands, but it seems to work great on my face. Moisturiser is a whole new world to me, taking some getting used to.

I still have non-chaffed lips. Amazing, but probably as I'm religiously applying 6 hour neutrogena lip balm every hour or so.

Back to the horrible office heaters tomorrow :(

Martin

Guest Leajer424
E45 Cream is great!!!!!!!

Unlike the E45 lotion I have been using this last week, this still provides a lot of moisture for my face but without the initial sting when I apply it. I guess its probably meant more for using on your hands, but it seems to work great on my face. Moisturiser is a whole new world to me, taking some getting used to.

What is E45 lotion/ cream? What are the ingredients?

Hi Lindsey,

Sorry for not replying sooner been busy busy!

E45 - is a treatment for dry skin conditions including eczema and dermatatitis which is sold in the UK. I thought it was international (since its the brand leader here), but I guess not

As for the ingredients, well..

E 45 Cream (My moisturiser of choice now!) is an unperfumed and non-greasy emolient cream.

Active Ingredients: White Soft Paraffin BP 14.5%, w/w Light Liquid Paraffin Ph Eur 12.6%, w/w Hypoallergenic Anhydrous Lanolin (medilan) 1.0% w//w. Also contains Glyceryl Monostearate, Citric Acid Monohydrate, Cetyl Alcohol, Sodium Hydroxide, Carbomer, Methyl Hydroxybenzoate, Propyl Hydrobenzoate, Proyl Hydroxybenzoate, Purified Water

The other option (wasn't as good for me) is the lotion which contains:

Aqua, Petrolatum, Isopropyl Palmitate, Paffinum Liquidum, Glyceryl Stearate, Ceteth-20, Hypoallergenic Anhydrous Lanolin (Medilan), Phenoxyethonal, Methylparaben, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Carbomer, Proylparaben, Sodium Hydroxide, BHT.

Hope this helps,

Martin

Day 14

My lips are starting to give up on me now - got ridges on them and its getting dry on the edges, nothing I didn't expect.

Still got more spots appearing (damn), but they are coming and going pretty quickly but leaving behind red marks that are taking ages to fade.

The E45 cream is working well, stopping the itching and reducing the redness.

Knees aching today

Was hoping for better by now, but got to be patient I know

Conversation of the day:

Colleague: "Christ Martin, you been on the sunbed or something"

Me: "No, its just red because of the pills I'm taking for acne at the moment, its a side affect"

Colleague: "Acne, you can't have acne at your age, its only teenagers that get that"

Me: "Well, I get spots and I'm trying to get rid of them"

Colleague: "Well yeah, I know you do, I just figured you must eat crap foods or something"

Me: "No, I eat quite well actually. Thats not the reason, it's genetic, my dad is still suffering at 67 with the odd spot now and again"

Colleague: "so he must eat the same crap that you do"

Me: "Thats not the case mate, some people just struggle with it for years"

Colleague: "Well, I never knew that, thats a new one on me!"

The IGNORANCE is amazing!

Edited by basing

Day 16 - wow that's more than 2 weeks already! Just another 14 to go!

So how's things?

Well, my red face seems to have subsided considerably, which is great. It's itching a lot less, and even my afternoon flushes I seem to get are decreasing, so that's all good news.

My forrid is covered now in red dots - not spots, they seem to have gone, but left behind dots that if I knock them blead. Some new spots keep appearing, got a large 'boil like' one on my back that hurts, but I know it'll dry up in a couple of days.

My ear lobes and nose are peeling, and I keep putting on lip balm as my lips are sore, but not that cracked yet.

Other than that, its just a case of putting on moisturiser in the morning and again when I get home from work and people are saying its not that noticable.

Sara - Thanks - things are going OK :)

Edited by basing

Guest Leajer424

I can't believe your coworker said that to you. People with clear skin always assume it's something you're doing or not doing that's causing it b/c they don't put any effort into having decent skin and they think that getting clear skin is easy. Don't people understand that everyone is different and have different problems? I tell people who say stuff like that, "If I started living just like you do, put the same things on my face, eat the same foods, wash it just like you...my skin would still have acne...probably worse!"

I also don't like when people recommend I use Proactive or wash my skin more or whatever. To some, it might seem that they are helping, but at the same time, it seems that they assume I haven't and don't try to do anything about it -- as if I just sit around not washing it and not caring what it looks like. Like I haven't tried everything out there! Like I haven't changed my routine and methods a million times bc I heard it might just help! Ugh.

People don't say to heavy people that they should eat less or give them suggestions on diet pills or anything...b/c it hurts peoples' feelings, come on!!

Guest Leajer424

I'm just saying that he should have thought about it from your point of view before he said it. I mean that's basically telling you that 1. he noticed your acne and judged you for it, and 2. that you have a bad diet, it's causing your acne, and you're too ignorant to alter your diet to make it better.

It makes me sad to hear stuff like that cuz it makes me realize that people do look at us and judge us for it. I would love to believe that people just see my personality and that I shouldn't worry about what people think when they see me and I shouldn't be self-conscious, but hearing about people saying stuff like that is depressing. :(

Guest Leajer424

Martin,

You're much more tolerant when it comes to ignorance. I guess I expect people to realize that it is something that bothers me... it would bother them if they had it. I mean I walk around w/ it on my face where everyone can see it everyday, and that they should be a little more thoughtful before they choose what to say, or say anything. You're probably more mature about it than I am. :)

I guess you're coming out about your sexuality really taught you that people's ignorance is not their fault. Maybe part of it for me is being jealous of people who have good skin (most of them don't do anything for it, some don't even wash it!), and then the comments coming from those exact people. Anyway, I'll stay positive, and I appreciate you showing me a more tolerant way to regard people's comments. :)

Day 18

Things are definately improving. I can get through most of the day now without having to apply another layer of moisturiser and my lips are manageable provided I've got lip balm handy. The redness has decreased now to a level that it just looks like I've been outside and got a bit weathered, its ok.

As predicted, the large boil like spot came up real quick and is now healing again. The marks on my face are decreasing, just got some shiny patches where I had spots - show up a bit more I think as my face is now generally matt, I'm still not used to it!

My knees still ache - why this limb and no others is beyond me, but it comes and goes. Don't think I've got any more major breakouts, I hope I'm beyond that now. Feel a bit down at times, not sure if that's the tablets or because its the middle of winter (I'm sure I'm a SAD sufferer) - can't stand 16 hours of darkness, but it passes after a while. I'm sure I feel lethargic though, not helped by my eyes been dry by the time I finish work, so I go home and close them which often leads to me falling asleep!

Day 20

Having to use even less moisturiser now, generally my face is OK, a little red with a bit of peeling but otherwise OK. Still using the lip balm religiously tho.

Only annoying thing is that I'm been left with a lot of red marks at the moment where spots have been, its not heeling too good. Particularly around my eyes and nose - it looks like I've been in a fight and the cuts are heeling!

Knees a bit better today - drinking water seems to be the answer