Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr Einstein

Completed Accutane Journal/Timeline/Results

Hello Everyone,

This is the description and information about my accutane treatment over 7 months. I’ll try not to preach about the risks of accutane, because most likely if your reading this and on or deciding to go on accutane then you’ve done your research, and if you haven’t please do because there is a ton of information out there that you should know. Just be sure the info you get is from a credible place. I’ll do my best to give you the information that that I incurred through my accutane treatment.

Preface:

I’m a 19 year old male, 6’ 3†& 205 - 210 lbs. I have sensitive skin and had recurring persistent acne (mostly pimples and the occasional nodule/cyst) since I was 14. The other treatments I tried included:

- Proactive (works decently but irritated skin to much to use on a daily basis)

- BenzaClin - (dried out skin too much)

- Oral Antibiotics (worked good until body became resistant)

- Other general facial cleansers

After these failed to clear my skin for a prolonged period my dermatologist recommended I try accutane, I had never heard of it before. So after she informed me and I did some research online I decided to do it . . .

GENERAL SKIN EFFECTS TIMELINE

1st Month (April) - 20mg = 600mg total

I didn’t expect much since I was starting at such a low dose, but the first couple of weeks I actually did see an immediate improvement without any side effects. But then about mid-week 3 I started to breakout pretty badly, knowing this was most likely going to happen it made it easier to deal with (derm said that within the first couple of months that most people’s skin gets worse as the medication pushes out impurities).

2nd Month (May) - 40mg = 1200 total <1800 accumulated>

The breakouts continued through most of the second month but gradually got better later into it. By the end of the 3rd and through the 4th week I had very minimal acne but with that side effects started to set in - which included dry skin, chapped lips, and fatigue.

3rd Month (June) - 60mg = 1800 total <3600 accumulated>

I felt good coming into this month since my skin improved so much at the end of the preceding one. But once I started the breakouts came back, I didn’t understand. Then just like the previous month toward the last couple of weeks my skin greatly improved. My main thought was that my body was simply getting use to the increased dosage.

4th Month (July) - 80mg = 2400 <6000 accumulated>

This month reaffirmed my notion that an increase in dosage causes breakouts until you body gets use to it. The breakouts came back, but were not as bad as initially. Then they stopped and my skin increased in dryness and chapped lips got much worse, but were easily combated with moisturizer and lip balm. Also, knowing that I have reached my maximum daily dosage I was very confident that I would see no more breakouts, but . . .

Bad Blood Test -

My blood work came back and showed a significant increase in triglycerides and liver enzymes. My derm recommended I take a couple weeks off, I of course agreed.

I believe my bad blood test was due to drinking too much alcohol through the month, I did know the risks of drinking and that it would put increased strain on my liver but I tried to do it in moderation just as in previous months which didn’t show any change in blood tests. But I did drink more this month (it was July, and I obviously pushed it a little too far) and combined with the increased dosage.

I was a little worried about the 2 week break from treatment, but my derm reassured me that the medication would stay in my system for at least a month so I would be fine as an overall result.

5th Month (Mid August) - 80mg = 2400 <8400 accumulated>

Starting back up I was expecting to get breakouts again at the beginning of the month. I didn’t, I did get the occasional pimple but nothing like the previous breakouts. By the end of the month I was completing clear and felt good about where I was and what the future held.

6th Month (Mid September) - 80mg = 2400 <10800 accumulated>

No breakouts, no pimples through the whole month.

7th Month (Mid October) - 80 mg = 2400 <13200 accumulated>

Still no pimples, finally clear and have been for now 2 ½ months.

November 16th - Done with treatment

Total Accumulative dose = 13,200mg

My Weight - 210 lbs = 95.25 kg

Target = 120 - 150 mg/ kg

My mg/kg accumulative dose = 138.6 mg/kg

SIDE EFFECTS (remedy):

- Dry Skin (cetaphil moisturizer)

- Chapped lips (aquaphore & chapstick)

- Sun Sensitivity (Neutrogena spf 70)

- Fatigue (eat healthy, exercise)

SUPPLEMENTS:

- B to Zinc Multivitamin (doesn’t have vitamin A, as the name implies). Bought online at btozinc.com

- Fish Oil

- Procerin, B complex & biotin (prevent hair loss)

- Whey Protein (decrease fatigue due to muscle soreness)

EXERCISE (LIFTING):

I read a lot about people not being able to lift weights while on accutane because of joint pain and/or being more prone to injury. I lifted and exercised almost everyday while on accutane, including playing baseball all summer and never felt I was compromised in any way.

CONCLUSION:

Overall, I am completely pleased that I decided to go on accutane. At times it was rough, but in the long run it was definitely worth it.

It’s been a week since completing treatment and I still haven’t had a pimple/blemish. I do have a couple of red marks from earlier breakouts during the treatment, but my derm said that they will start to heal faster now that I’m off the medication.

- Well that’s it, I’m sure there’s some things that I left out so please ask any questions you have.

Thanks & Good Luck

Hello Everyone,

This is the description and information about my accutane treatment over 7 months. I’ll try not to preach about the risks of accutane, because most likely if your reading this and on or deciding to go on accutane then you’ve done your research, and if you haven’t please do because there is a ton of information out there that you should know. Just be sure the info you get is from a credible place. I’ll do my best to give you the information that that I incurred through my accutane treatment.

Preface:

I’m a 19 year old male, 6’ 3” & 205 - 210 lbs. I have sensitive skin and had recurring persistent acne (mostly pimples and the occasional nodule/cyst) since I was 14. The other treatments I tried included:

- Proactive (works decently but irritated skin to much to use on a daily basis)

- BenzaClin - (dried out skin too much)

- Oral Antibiotics (worked good until body became resistant)

- Other general facial cleansers

After these failed to clear my skin for a prolonged period my dermatologist recommended I try accutane, I had never heard of it before. So after she informed me and I did some research online I decided to do it . . .

GENERAL SKIN EFFECTS TIMELINE

1st Month (April) - 20mg = 600mg total

I didn’t expect much since I was starting at such a low dose, but the first couple of weeks I actually did see an immediate improvement without any side effects. But then about mid-week 3 I started to breakout pretty badly, knowing this was most likely going to happen it made it easier to deal with (derm said that within the first couple of months that most people’s skin gets worse as the medication pushes out impurities).

2nd Month (May) - 40mg = 1200 total <1800 accumulated>

The breakouts continued through most of the second month but gradually got better later into it. By the end of the 3rd and through the 4th week I had very minimal acne but with that side effects started to set in - which included dry skin, chapped lips, and fatigue.

3rd Month (June) - 60mg = 1800 total <3600 accumulated>

I felt good coming into this month since my skin improved so much at the end of the preceding one. But once I started the breakouts came back, I didn’t understand. Then just like the previous month toward the last couple of weeks my skin greatly improved. My main thought was that my body was simply getting use to the increased dosage.

4th Month (July) - 80mg = 2400 <6000 accumulated>

This month reaffirmed my notion that an increase in dosage causes breakouts until you body gets use to it. The breakouts came back, but were not as bad as initially. Then they stopped and my skin increased in dryness and chapped lips got much worse, but were easily combated with moisturizer and lip balm. Also, knowing that I have reached my maximum daily dosage I was very confident that I would see no more breakouts, but . . .

Bad Blood Test -

My blood work came back and showed a significant increase in triglycerides and liver enzymes. My derm recommended I take a couple weeks off, I of course agreed.

I believe my bad blood test was due to drinking too much alcohol through the month, I did know the risks of drinking and that it would put increased strain on my liver but I tried to do it in moderation just as in previous months which didn’t show any change in blood tests. But I did drink more this month (it was July, and I obviously pushed it a little too far) and combined with the increased dosage.

I was a little worried about the 2 week break from treatment, but my derm reassured me that the medication would stay in my system for at least a month so I would be fine as an overall result.

5th Month (Mid August) - 80mg = 2400 <8400 accumulated>

Starting back up I was expecting to get breakouts again at the beginning of the month. I didn’t, I did get the occasional pimple but nothing like the previous breakouts. By the end of the month I was completing clear and felt good about where I was and what the future held.

6th Month (Mid September) - 80mg = 2400 <10800 accumulated>

No breakouts, no pimples through the whole month.

7th Month (Mid October) - 80 mg = 2400 <13200 accumulated>

Still no pimples, finally clear and have been for now 2 ½ months.

November 16th - Done with treatment

Total Accumulative dose = 13,200mg

My Weight - 210 lbs = 95.25 kg

Target = 120 - 150 mg/ kg

My mg/kg accumulative dose = 138.6 mg/kg

SIDE EFFECTS (remedy):

- Dry Skin (cetaphil moisturizer)

- Chapped lips (aquaphore & chapstick)

- Sun Sensitivity (Neutrogena spf 70)

- Fatigue (eat healthy, exercise)

SUPPLEMENTS:

- B to Zinc Multivitamin (doesn’t have vitamin A, as the name implies). Bought online at btozinc.com

- Fish Oil

- Procerin, B complex & biotin (prevent hair loss)

- Whey Protein (decrease fatigue due to muscle soreness)

EXERCISE (LIFTING):

I read a lot about people not being able to lift weights while on accutane because of joint pain and/or being more prone to injury. I lifted and exercised almost everyday while on accutane, including playing baseball all summer and never felt I was compromised in any way.

CONCLUSION:

Overall, I am completely pleased that I decided to go on accutane. At times it was rough, but in the long run it was definitely worth it.

It’s been a week since completing treatment and I still haven’t had a pimple/blemish. I do have a couple of red marks from earlier breakouts during the treatment, but my derm said that they will start to heal faster now that I’m off the medication.

- Well that’s it, I’m sure there’s some things that I left out so please ask any questions you have.

Thanks & Good Luck

thanks man this has been exactly what i needed to hear.im in my second month and my skin has started seriously breaking out after such nice period of good skin