Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
max powers

Are any of these foods common triggers?

Last saturday, we went to Sam's Club, and bought groceries, which I have been eating. Before today, I was going good for about 2 weeks, with nothing new. Then this morning, there was one below my mouth. Now, there's about 4 of them scattered around. Since Saturday, I've had:

3 bananas.

Handfuls of grapes.

Bread/Toast.

Carrots.

Steak.

Salad (lettuce, organic spinach, Italian dressing)

Granola Bar

Are any of those things common triggers, or am I gonna have to decide for myself?

Guest DireStraits

Not the carrots, steak or salad.

Out of your list which one did you have the most?

I would say the bread. I've been eating some for breakfast, then packing a sandwich for lunch. But if I had to guess, I would think it's the bananas, because I haven't had bananas in a long time, and the first time I had them since, this happens. But who knows, it might just be a coincidence. I did a quick search of the forums and found barely anything concerning bananas, so I think I'm on my own here.

Guest DireStraits

I would say the bread. I've been eating some for breakfast, then packing a sandwich for lunch. But if I had to guess, I would think it's the bananas, because I haven't had bananas in a long time, and the first time I had them since, this happens. But who knows, it might just be a coincidence. I did a quick search of the forums and found barely anything concerning bananas, so I think I'm on my own here.

Bingo!

No you're not alone I break out from bananas as well but underneath my jawline. Its the excess fructose in the bananas that breaks us out from it.

However the position of where you're breaking out-underneath your mouth does puzzle me cause that's normally a hormonal area. Just go easy on the bananas in the meantime.

Edited by DireStraits

Bingo!

No you're not alone I break out from bananas as well but underneath my jawline. Its the excess fructose in the bananas that breaks us out from it.

However the position of where you're breaking out-underneath your mouth does puzzle me cause that's normally a hormonal area. Just go easy on the bananas in the meantime.

I don't really buy into the whole "certain areas are caused by certain things." I just think that if it's going to happen, it's going to happen wherever it feels like. I've been restrictive of what I've been eating for about a month, and I figured out that oranges have the same effect on me as bananas.

Makes NO sense to talk about "hormonal acne" as something separate from "food acne". If food affects acne it does so through your hormones.

</rant>

Actually, bananas and grapes are both VERY high in natural sugars and can cause breakouts.

But then again, bread has also been a known trigger for some people, especially if it isn't whole wheat or grain. Then there's that granola bar - and if it's from a box, it's probably loaded with corn syrup and possibly hydrogenated oils as well as sugar carbs. That's probably not so awesome for your skin, either. This, of course, also depends on the type and brand of granola bar it is.

bananas are very inflammatory which can cause breakouts. i just bought the perricone acne perscription and he says bananas are a big no no....im going to try and follow it for the 28 days. i'll post back if i have good results. im so bad at diets lol.

bananas are very inflammatory which can cause breakouts. i just bought the perricone acne perscription and he says bananas are a big no no....im going to try and follow it for the 28 days. i'll post back if i have good results. im so bad at diets lol.

give a basic rundown of the diet, please? Just want to get an idea

Makes NO sense to talk about "hormonal acne" as something separate from "food acne". If food affects acne it does so through your hormones.

</rant>

Food does affect your hormones and hormones are involved in nearly everyone's acne, but there are other ways food affects acne such as allergy and inflammation.

Edited by alternativista

</rant>

Food does affect your hormones and hormones are involved in nearly everyone's acne, but there are other ways food affects acne such as allergy and inflammation.

Thank you. Like I said, the same thing happens with oranges as they do with bananas. I don't think that those 2 fruits cause acne in most people, but in some they do, because everyone is different. It's been 3 days since I last ate a banana, and so far nothing new. I have about 7 healing pimples, that formed in the timespan of two days, the day after I ate the first banana and the day after I ate the second one.

I normally love bananas because I am a gym rat and run several miles a day. They keep my thighs from cramping. However, in light of all I've read here, I stopped eating them (only yesterday) just to see if it helped or not. Of course this might pose a problem for my workouts so now I'm going to have to figure out another "healthy" substance to use to help avoid muscle cramps. *sigh*

Looking at this list, I'm going to pick the steak.

I'm a huge steak lover. God I'm drooling at the thought of it. Steak, like most things, can be both good and bad.

The question for you is, what type of steak did you buy? I mostly stick to organic beef and steak.

Most normal, grain fed beef contains plenty of antibiotics and hormones. These chemicals can be harmful for your body and most likely your skin; even more so if you already have hormonal acne problems.

Did you have margarine or butter on your bread? Margarine would be a big no, i've found it's one of the worst non-deadly things you can put in your mouth. Butter is usually fine unless it's been heavily processed with "added" things.

As for bananas I think they can cause problems but only if they are eaten with something else, or close to something else. They are quite a mouthful and you should let them digest on their own.

Edited by uncle buck

Of course this might pose a problem for my workouts so now I'm going to have to figure out another "healthy" substance to use to help avoid muscle cramps. *sigh*

Sweet potatoes, plantains, avocado, winter squashes, nuts, seeds, legumes like lima beans, yogurt, fish...

It's in most plant foods which is why another reason why you should eat a variety of veggies throughout the day.

Edited by alternativista

I have a question about something i eat everyday for as long i can remember. (4years back i cant remember that long xD) Its something dutch so i think this is the best i can post here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontbijtkoek

Should i post the ingredients to help? Cuz i guess you wont know them if you dont know it in your country.

bananas ALWAYS break me out. i hear it a lot from other people too, more along the chin. i think it's from the sugar in it because it wasn't on my allergy food list.

So far, I've had nothing else form. In a few weeks, I'll try a few oranges or bananas, to see what happens, but only after I've had the joy of being clear skinned.