Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dotty1

So, I'm still on my low-protein diet to control acne...

Hi everyone,

For the past year, I've been on my "low-protein" diet to keep my acne under control. Many of you probably remember it, most of you thought I was joking. Since then, I've discovered that it is not a "low-protein" diet at all, but about certain types of protein that cause my acne.

Quite by accident, I had found that meat, dairy, eggs, nuts, tofu, seeds, legumes, beans and lentils caused my skin to break out within 10 hours. The breakouts (clogged pores and infections) would last 8 days.

I learned I could eat other forms of protein without any breakouts: Whole-wheat pastas, high-protein spirulina (sea-algae) and the protein found in potatoes, yams, broccoli, asparagus, and other vegetables. I can also take brown rice protein powder (found in weightlifting shops). It provides 20 of the 22 amino acids just like other protein powders.

This past year, I had blood tests performed to monitor my protein levels while doing this. My doctor said that I had "the best protein levels in the hospital." (??) :think:

I believe it is one certain amino acid that is causing my acne problem. At least that is a hypothesis. Although this diet sounds quite different from the standard American diet, I've learned that raw foodists are on my same diet (except for the use of nuts and seeds) and I use many of their recipes (raw pasta, raw lasagna, raw pizza). I can have very, very small amounts of nuts and seeds at the expense of a few blackheads.

Last year, I did not know if anyone else would be helped by this diet. I didn't know if it was only ME who was allergic to various forms of protein. So, I thought I had a special condition.

This morning, I logged into this forum and found a message from meat_pirate86 who said that he had tried my diet and it cleared his face as well. I'll post his message:

"meat_pirate86

Apr 6 2009, 07:47 PM

Dotty! THank you so much for the low-protein diet advice. I have FINALLY cleared up (fat doesnt seem to make a difference either but I keep it moderate anyways).

Basically I eat a lot of high-qualty bread, homemade low-sugar shortbread, rice, potatoes, veggie casseroles and lasagna, etc. It really doesn't take much protein at all for me to break out. Even cereal with milk on it can cause problems! At first I thought I was eating too many grains and that caused me to continue breaking out, but when I dropped the small amounts of cream, milk, parmesan, peanut butter, etc. I completely clear up. I also have an intolerance to beans and legumes.

I was just wondering if you wanted to swap a couple recipes?"

So, it appears that there are a few others out there who might be affected by it too.

Edited by Dotty1

im definitely going to try this, ive already determined through elimination that nightshade vegetables, citrus fruits, and plastic bottled water all give me different kinds of breakouts, for example: nightshades give me zits on my forehead and cheeks, citrus on my nose , eyebrows, and scalp, bottled water on my chin and surrounding area, but whenever i eat lots of protein whether it be lentils or milk or chicken i always break out all over my nose in horrible inflamed zits, time for some for experimentation. Acne is a tuff one but i will figure it out! thanks for the tip :think:

I believe it is one certain amino acid that is causing my acne problem.

And that is? Presumably, it must be some amino acid humans don't actually incorporate into any of their proteins, since otherwise you would still have plenty of this "allergic" amino acid in your body.

I've been on my "low-protein" diet to keep my acne under control.

As described, you've apparently also been on a "low-GI" diet as well. When people give up calorie-dense meat, they often are actually also going on a "lower-calorie" diet as well. If your hypothesis of an amino acid "allergy" were correct, you should be able to drink, say, three 32-ounce caffeine-free Cokes each day for a month and not affect your acne, right? That would ensure you're not on a low-GI diet, and not on a lower-calorie diet, but presumably would not introduce any of the mystery amino acid.

Diets usually cannot change just one thing; they usually change lots of things at once, which is why theories about causal connections usually don't hold up to testing.

I also have an intolerance to beans and legumes.

So for meat_pirate's experience to be a data point in favor of your hypothesis, beans and legumes must contain the mystery amino acid, not just meats.

What did your doctor mean when he said you had the best protein levels in the hospital?

It sounds like you may have given up a lot of fat, since you cut out meat, dairy, eggs, seeds. That could be an explanation.

Are there any amino acids that are found in abundance in the foods she cut out, and are not found in her new diet (or to a lesser degree)?

Brahms: My doctor, who was initially concerned about my protein levels on my new diet, meant that my protein levels were very good while on my unusual diet.

Brahms: I now eat plenty of avocados (guacamole & corn chips ;)), olive oil, etc.

Databased: I do not and will not drink pop. I searched for high-GI foods:

Cornflakes, Cheerios, Rice Krispies, Bagels, French Baguette, mashed white potatoes, french fries, pretzels, rice cakes, donuts, dates and watermelon...

My diet: Mashed white potatoes are a daily part of my diet, I do have cheerios with rice milk once a week, I have french fries once a month, I ate a plenty of watermelon over the summer and I've been snacking on fresh dates daily these past 2 months. So, my diet is not low-GI.

I am only hypothesizing that it could be an amino acid. I do not know the cause. Unfortunately, no doctor will take the time to examine these foods with me to find what they have in common. :( Any input would be appreciated.

Edited by Dotty1

What intrigues me is that your skin issues sound just like mine, oily skin, clogged pores and excessive flakiness. I'm so tempted to try this but I really want to make sense of it all.

So you're saying eating any animal protein will cause an outbreak in addition to nuts and seeds? If so, I cannot, for the life of me, understand why that would be.

Like most people here I just get fed up with taking supplements, prescriptions etc. because I know they're only temporary band aids. As soon as I stop my condition always goes back to it's usual self. I want to be able to completely control it so that I can narrow down what exactly is causing this.

I guess trying a low protein diet isn't as bad as taking a large amount of supplements and/or prescriptions like Accutane.

BTW, just a warning to those looking into taking Accutane. I experimented with a very low dose which actually worked wonders for my skin, but it started screwing with my sex drive. I went from having no problems, to finishing with no orgasm, and even finishing was quite a task at times (the girl I was with thought I wasn't attracted to her). Needless to say I stopped asap. It took a few months but everything seems like it's back to normal.

Meats, dairy, eggs, soy, nuts, seeds, lentils, tofu, beans, legumes all affect me the same. I get huge infections 10 hours after eating them. I can sneak about 1/2 tablespoon of seeds every few weeks... but at the expense of blackheads and maybe 1-2 infections.

My skin: EXTREMELY oily, flakey, full of blackheads and huge infections. My hair always was terribly oily.

I use this website to get recipes that are healthy and tasty. The recipes are very similar to my diet: http://www.pcrm.org/health/recipes/

Edited by Dotty1

I don't know how quinoa would affect me, but the chances that they'd affect me negatively are very high, atm ;).

Edited by Dotty1

I think I might try this out too because nothing seems to get rid of my blackheads. How long did it take you start seeing results on this diet?

1. Does this keep you crystal clear, or do you still have some skin "problems"?

2. Have you tried fruit with seeds? Like seeded grapes for instance (not seedless).

It takes 8 days for the inflammation of the infections to subside. By Day 8, you should not notice any new infections. Newly emptied pores will not refill with sebum, my oily skin and hair become normal and the blackheads stop coming.

The difference for me is truly amazing: When on my low-protein diet, I can empty all my blackheads and my skin looks fine. If I eat a tablespoon of tofu and then I empty out all my blackheads, the next morning the empty pores will have infections the size of small mountains. If I empty a pore, the area remains red, lumped up and obvious to everyone.

The protein causes my body to have severe inflammation over anything. It also activates my oil glands.

AltaPGT: While on my low-protein diet, my skin is crystal clear. I won't have ANY problems.

When eating protein, I'll have about 10-20 active infections, about 2000 blackheads, oily skin and hair, flakiness, redness and inflammation all over.

Edited by Dotty1

People are generally more likely to be allergic/hypersensitive to protein foods than other foods. Eating a food you're allergic or hypersensitive to can cause acne.

By the way, to anyone considering this diet... you should know that a year or two ago, Dotty1 was caught pretending to be 2 different users, both promoting this same unhealthy diet. I'd take her advice with a grain of salt.

Kaleidoscope, you don't even know what you are talking about. Go talk to the mods.

If you feel that my diet is unhealthy, please elaborate. If you don't mind, you could state the nutrients you feel are missing from my diet because I am very open to advice while on this diet. Nothing else has solved my acne.

Edited by Dotty1

I really hope no one would put that much effort into messing with people just for the hell of it, especially dealing with a very stressful condition such as acne.

Zanpakutou - If you decide to do this diet, keep your diet simple during those 8 days. Even 2 small beans can cause me to break out.

For the very first 8 days, eat baked potatoes w/ salt and pepper, whole-wheat pasta with marinara sauce, apples and fruit, sauteed spinach or kale with garlic, toast & jam, avocados, Popsicles. Don't trust meals that you don't cook yourself because there could be some contaminant. Make everything yourself.

I began eating at Subway, eating a whole-grain sub filled with green bell peppers (instead of lettuce), spinach and other veggies... with pure mustard sauce.

Avoid stuff like "Soy Sauce" (Because it comes from soy). Tofu is one of my worst triggers. The infections ooze with pus after a little tofu. For example, on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the worst, meat, tofu, soy and lentils earn a 10. Seeds, nuts, beans, dairy & eggs earn a 9.

Edited by Dotty1

I've read that post before. LionQueen made a mistake, you can go message her or the mods about it.

Look at all my posts on this forum. I have always tried research new cures and help others with acne. Last year, when I told people about this diet and my acne triggers, I was sent mean messages from people I hadn't even met before, claiming that I was lying and trying to "kill" them. What am I supposed to do? I've found the triggers for my acne. Should I shut up about my triggers and not mention them because they upset people?

For those of you who have tried -everything- to solve your acne, I have posted what I have found what works for me.

I'll give you the benefit of a doubt and try the regimen anyway. After all, even if it doesn't work no one is pointing a gun at my head forcing me to do this.

I've tried restricted diets before and this really isn't all that extreme, but it is something I've never done before. I'm trying to find my triggers, and one thing I've never done is not eat any meat.

I went like 2 weeks straight with nothing but meat and fat and my skin was as oily and broken out as ever. Maybe I'm having problems with a certain kind of meat. It's worth a shot to me.

I wanted to say that chickpeas are considered part of the legume family, but I didn't know this. They caused me to break out VERY badly. Avoid these little guys until you know if this diet works for you.