Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
brandon26

1 1/2 month Cyst

I was on accutane for approx. 7 months. It cleared up all my acne. I never had cystic acne so that was never a concern. In mid October of this year, I woke up with a cyst on my cheek. It's circular, about 1 cm by 1 cm. It was inflamed, and when I first received it, I had no idea it was a cyst. I figured it was just an inflamed pimple that would come to the surface, no big deal. So, I didn't touch it at all (I'm very disciplined). But after a week and a half it hadn't come to the surface and it was still there. I had no idea what it was so I visited my dermatologist and he told me that it was a cyst. Which is weird because I've never had one and I just got off accutane, so you would think it would've shown up toward the beginning of my accutane treatment.

Anyway, so we did a small cortisone shot. The size reduced and the cyst was flat against my skin, but it was still there. So, we did another one two weeks ago, and it reduced it a little bit, but it's still essentially flat against my skin and still there.

So, I've had this cyst now for a month and a half. I'm not sure exactly what to do. Do I just continue to wait? Over time it has gotten better. The darkness has lightened up and it has flattened though it is still there. But I hear, the longer you wait, the harder they get? And then they have to be surgically removed. Should I try another cortisone shot?

I mean, my acne is really good at this point. All I do is wash my face morning and night with a really nice, all-natural, peppermint facial wash. And I exfoliate twice a week. I have a rose water toner that I spray on my face too. I mean, I haven't had a 'zit' since June. I work out 6 times a week. I drink plenty of water. I get good sleep. I eat ridiculously healthy. I'm a very physically fit and disciplined person. I don't think there is anything wrong with my daily regimen.

I'm not sure what to do about this cyst. I could have surgery, but then I for sure will have a scar. Right now, there is no scarring. The skin is just a little darker where the cyst is, but it is definitely noticeable. It doesn't look bad necessarily. It looks like I have a darker mark on my right cheek from far away, which most people would assume is just from a pimple and hasn't lightened up yet. So, it's not extremely embarrassing or anything.

So... the options I'm considering are...

1. Another cortisone shot

2. Just waiting for the next few months and hoping it goes away (how long do cysts take to go away if you just wait?)

3. Or surgery

Advice? Thoughts? Do you basically have a dent where the cyst was if you get surgery?

Edited by brandon26

Have exactly the same problem but i have 2 :/ im seeing my derm on friday and im going to ask him whats best cause im at a loss for what to do, ill post here what he says!

Yeah, I don't get it. It's just like sitting there. I have no idea what to do with it. But I mean if I wait, it could be there forever... who knows. I have some black heads that were on my cheeks for years and they were small. This thing is big. And it's not like there is daily improvement. It improved a lot over the first month, but now it's just there.

But getting a third cortisone shot... who knows what will hapen. Maybe this time I'll get a major dent in my cheek.

And surgery... scar plus dent?

I mean all the options kind of suck, ha ha.

Are there any home remedies that are effective?

I've had a cyst removed surgically and there's no dent. Quite the opposite, actually. The spot's a bit puffed up with stretched out skin and some scar tissue. It's not an issue for me though. If you do have it removed, your derm. should make sure it's as small as it can be so you won't have too much extra skin there.

Of course this probably won't be the same for everybody, so interpret it as what will happen, just what can happen.

Mmmm.... so your scar isn't that bad?

Man. I hate this thing. I wake up every morning hoping it left over night.

Does tea tree oil help at all?

Edited by brandon26

I haven't tried tea tree oil. I'm using Acnomel instead of BP every morning though and while slow, it's still working way faster than the BP would. I usually just ride mine out until they're gone. If I have an upcoming appointment with my derm. I just let her drain it and inject cortisone. Usually works within a few days for me.

I'm going to purchase some tea tree oil today. I've read from lots of people that it helps with cysts if you just dab a little bit of 100% TTO on the spot for a few days, supposedly it shrinks and goes away. I guess I'll see. Might as well since I've tried two cortisone shots.

What is Acnomel? Does that effectively treat cysts? If it does, I could try that if the TTO doesn't work.

How long does it usually take for your cysts to go away on their own?

Acnomel is a sulfur topical product. It seems to be drying out the cyst a lot more effectively than BP, but it's really, really slow. I don't personally think there are any topicals that can really help a cyst once it's broke the surface and is huge. Mine usually take at least a month to go away. I think the Acnomel is helping to prevent new cysts from occurring though. I've only used it for about 2 weeks so I can't say that with full confidence yet, but it's removing some of the redness from old pimples.

I've got the same problem on my lower right cheek/jawline.. I have had mine injected 3 times now though and its starting to become inflamed again now after being injected 2 weeks ago. It seems to resurface every 2 weeks after an injection.. I have a derm appointment in 2 weeks for my current accutane prescription. I am thinking about making another one for this coming up week to have this thing looked at to get some opinions from the derm. Obviously constantly injecting it is pointless at this point.

Just back from my derm who has given me the 'all clear' im apparently all clear of acne now.

This isnt 'really' the case, im not breaking out anymore. My back and chest are 100% clear. But like the OP i have cysts which have flattened but not gone away aswell as 2 active cysts.

For the two active cysts he lanced them, im hoping now with BP they will go away, as for the flattened cysts my derm gave this deep freeze spray basically. Within an hour my skin blistered and now its really sore and the flat cysts is suddenly huge :P But he claims that this will either bring it to a head where i could safely prick it with a needle to get as much of the crap out or it will 'remodel' itself and become less solid and less red.

We shall see!

I have been using the TTO since Wednesday night. No significant changes as of yet, but it is definitely drying out the spot. It seems to be most effective to continually apply it throughout the day. My skin also does not seem to freak out to TTO like other people's have. I can put on quite a bit. I use a cutip and just wipe it all over the dark area. I'm going to continue using it through December since my derm does not want to do another cortisone injection and wants to wait for a while to see what happens. I will keep you guys updated.

I'm kind of hoping the TTO may cause the cyst to form a head.

I KID YOU NOT!

My cyst is 100% GONE!!! After 1 1/2 months and two cortisone shots that had almost no effect whatsoever, dabbing 100% Tea Tree Oil on it for four nights in a row got rid of it!

I woke up this morning. Completely gone. My skin is still a little dark where it was, but that will go away with time. The cyst is completely gone!

HIGHLY RECOMMEND Tea Tree Oil to anyone dealing with cysts. I'm amazed. And I'm testing it on various other black heads and it is helping with them as well. I'm sure TTO is not a cure all for everyone, but it works phenomenally well for me. HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT

I'm pretty sure it just dried out the cyst. A head never formed. And it was interesting too because up until yesterday, nothing really seemed to be happening. I could still feel the lump beneath my skin, and I wasn't feeling optimistic because it didn't seem to be changing at all. And then I woke up and it was gone. Ha ha, I keep touching my cheek to make sure the cyst isn't there.

The only things I noticed from applying the TTO is that the area is a little red until it soaks into the skin. Also, the outer skin just dries a little bit. I actually applied quite a significant amount, but I've read that some people's skin gets irritated because of how potent it is. So some have to dilute it with water. But 100% TTO seems to work the best for spot treatment. Also, it doesn't smell the greatest, ha ha. But if you're applying it at night, it doesn't really matter.

I'm going to continue applying TTO to the spot because supposedly it helps scarring and dark spots fade as well, and it will hopefully prevent the cyst from coming back if it decides to try :)

What kind of tea tree oil were you using? I think i might try this starting tommorrow for the cyst i have under the skin. I have 2 that have 'come' out and are inflamed that i will be getting injected in the next day or two, do you think it works for these, or only the remains under the skin?

It's just a small bottle of 100% Australian Tea Tree Oil. Pure essential oil. You can get it at any health store I would guess. I got it from a local health store for $7.00. May be able to get it at Wal-Mart even. I'm not sure. You'd have to check.

I would imagine it would work on your cysts. It should definitely reduce the inflammation because it is a natural antiseptic.

And I would probably try the tea tree oil before injecting them. Injections cost more money and you have a chance of indentation (big or small, and who knows how long it'll be there). I was lucky with my cortisone shots and did not receive a dent from either of them.

hi... im same with u guys...

i always have one or two cystic acne... but i never tried cortisone shot...

i tried lots of acne treatment...

the one that really work for me is ORIGINS spot remover, it doesn't make it go in just couple of application.

normally my cystic acne less inflame just in 2-3 days, but it takes roughly 2 weeks to completely gone. But the scarring is still there, might take a little while for the scar to fade.

hope it will help :)

ooooo wow lol my chemistry teacher says diluted tea tree oil (not concentrated ones!) is great for treating pimples

but i didn really believe it cos anytin that i put on my face either makes my acne worse or does no effect....

hmm i've nvr had cystic acne but my pimples are countless mayb i'll try tea tree oil