Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
suzylee86

looking people in the eye

so, im on antibiotics for my skin.....they work pretty well but i have the minor flare up every couple of months-which i am going through now. the stress of seeing people for the holidays and hoping i dont get a breakout always makes me breakout. lol of course! but even when my skin is clear for the most part, it is soooooooooooooooooooooooooo hard to look at people up close and let them see me. having acne for almost 10 years has made me so shy and scared of what people see. i am super paranoid wheni get the smallest spot-i spend hours looking in the mirror analyzing every iimperfection. i can make myself sick. so when i get a few more spots every now and then....i feel not likes its a few spots...but like i have a face full of cystic acne and its on display with neon signs. i feel like people look at me and go, "poor girl." when its not bad at all.

i guess im just worried because its the holidays and i hate being the one with acne in a room full of people who have grown out of it. my boyfriend is great-he says im beautiful all the time. but im always afraid he looks at me and wishes he was still with his ex because from what ive seen, she had great skin. :( im afraid his family will look at me and go ULGH. i guess my biggest issue is i try so hard to be perfect, when im not and theres not much i can do i feel powerless. im sick of being shy.

the other night i was at my bfs and i was self conscious about my skin-he got sick of me not looking at him and he jokingly pinned my arms down with his knees and held my face straight to his and said "your beautiful." it made me laugh, but looking someone in the face is the most terrifying thing ever. i wish it wasnt so hard.

so-thats my rant. that and im wondering whats gonna happen when my derm finally takes me off antibiotics if i still have a breakout here and there. i dont think i can take my skin going to hell again. dumb dumb dumb.

Awhh! Your boyfriend truly loves you. <3

The fact of the matter is, people may look at your skin, almost everyone does it. Sometimes they can't help it; I do and kill myself over it because I forget what I'm doing and catch myself staring at a spot of theirs.

Sometimes you've gotta force yourself to do it... I know this guy, and I find him so attractive. He's not that good looking, and he's really really REALLY skinny so he's basically just all bone. But I'm just... physically attracted to it.

He doesn't have any confidence. He doesn't look me in the eye when I talk to him. And while I do feel like having the upper hand, it kills me when he doesn't look at me, because I just give up on liking him or talking to him.

See, you never know who likes to have you look at them. At least try.

that's so sweet of your boyfriend wanting you to look at him.

I very much have that problem, I can't really look anyone in the eye. Not even my mom much cuz I know she's lookin at my pimples --my face ruins everything for me, especially when I like someone. I like this guy now but I am mortified if he looks at me or talks to me cuz my face is a hot mess right now. I try to avoid him....probably a bad idea but ...oh well.

Edited by Geeking

Aww that thing with your boyfriend is so cute! :P

I am the same way. I have the HARDEST time looking people in the eyes..

I feel I come off as being snobby, but I cant help it :( I feel so paranoid about what people are thinking.. even tho my skin is clean now. When my skin was at its worst, it scarred me psychologically, and now i'm so self conscious :(

Guest Chrisâ„¢

That's odd, now that I think about it, I've never had this problem. My scars are really bad, but I always find myself making a point to look people directly into their eyes. You can tell a lot about what someone is thinking when you look into their eyes, I think that's why I do it all the time. I have the opposite problem though lol, people often do not look at my eyes, they look at my scars, which gets annoying as hell. You can usually look someone in the eyes and tell their mood, feelings etc., without them even saying a word. Maybe it's just like that for me though? I don't know, but that's the first thing I do when I see/talk to someone is look into their eyes.

That's odd, now that I think about it, I've never had this problem. My scars are really bad, but I always find myself making a point to look people directly into their eyes. You can tell a lot about what someone is thinking when you look into their eyes, I think that's why I do it all the time. I have the opposite problem though lol, people often do not look at my eyes, they look at my scars, which gets annoying as hell. You can usually look someone in the eyes and tell their mood, feelings etc., without them even saying a word. Maybe it's just like that for me though? I don't know, but that's the first thing I do when I see/talk to someone is look into their eyes.

Nah, that happens with me as well.

I always look at people's eyes when i talk to them, and like you said its annoying when you see their eye's stray...

but whatever...as long as they dont change the way they act towards me because of a breakout then im fine with it, although its hard to do...

What your boyfriend did for you was fabulous, you have a good one, hold onto him :)

I know exactly what you mean. I feel like I have the grossest ugliest face, but really, it's not that bad at all! I don't even know if you could classify me as mild acne, but i feel like it's disgusting anyway.

Hold in there hon, most people don't even notice those things. I ask my family all the time if my face looks okay, and they ALWAYS say they don't even notice it.

Just hold your head high, I think that is the key. Good luck for the holidays! :comfort: