Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Okay, so here's the deal. I'm 23, been dealing with acne since I was 11. It's getting old.

My acne is, in general, mild, with frequent bouts of moderate. It's like I get a two or three day respite after a really bad breakout (re: a couple cysts that are painful as well as lots of little friends surrounding them) only to have it start happening again. (And the respite involves my "normal" acne, not clear skin)

I have tried:

BP (2.5%, 5%, and 10%) - holds off the worst breakouts but I think I'm building a resistance to it.

BHA (helps a little)

AHA (works on my body acne)

Clindamycin topical (did NOTHING)

Retin-A Micro (did little, and my face never adjusted to it and was always irritated/peeling)

Generic tretinoin cream (did NOTHING)

Minocycline (the only time I've been clear in recent memory. However, after a month on it the spots crept back and once I was taken off BAM back to where we started.)

Duac (Worked pretty well for about 6 months, when it stopped working)

Benzamycin (Ditto)

Along with every other wash you can think of.

I desperately want to go on Accutane just to kill this shit once and for all, but I'm terrified that my acne isn't *bad* enough to warrant it.

Do you think the fact that I've tried all of the above will tip things in my favor? My GP recommended Tazorac or Differin to me (my insurance doesn't cover Tazorac, and Differin would cost me 50 bucks a pop), but I really just want a cure that will mean I never have to layer topicals on again.

Anyway.

Anyone else out there with mild/moderate acne who was given Accutane after trying many other things?

(maybe if you're lucky I'll post my face itself tonight. at work right now, unfortunately)

Okay, so here's the deal. I'm 23, been dealing with acne since I was 11. It's getting old.

My acne is, in general, mild, with frequent bouts of moderate. It's like I get a two or three day respite after a really bad breakout (re: a couple cysts that are painful as well as lots of little friends surrounding them) only to have it start happening again. (And the respite involves my "normal" acne, not clear skin)

I have tried:

BP (2.5%, 5%, and 10%) - holds off the worst breakouts but I think I'm building a resistance to it.

BHA (helps a little)

AHA (works on my body acne)

Clindamycin topical (did NOTHING)

Retin-A Micro (did little, and my face never adjusted to it and was always irritated/peeling)

Generic tretinoin cream (did NOTHING)

Minocycline (the only time I've been clear in recent memory. However, after a month on it the spots crept back and once I was taken off BAM back to where we started.)

Duac (Worked pretty well for about 6 months, when it stopped working)

Benzamycin (Ditto)

Along with every other wash you can think of.

I desperately want to go on Accutane just to kill this shit once and for all, but I'm terrified that my acne isn't *bad* enough to warrant it.

Do you think the fact that I've tried all of the above will tip things in my favor? My GP recommended Tazorac or Differin to me (my insurance doesn't cover Tazorac, and Differin would cost me 50 bucks a pop), but I really just want a cure that will mean I never have to layer topicals on again.

Anyway.

Anyone else out there with mild/moderate acne who was given Accutane after trying many other things?

(maybe if you're lucky I'll post my face itself tonight. at work right now, unfortunately)

I am in the exact same boat as you. Im currently 20 and have been suffering from acne since I was about 14. Ive tried many things including BP, Benzamycin, Minocyclin, and a couple others. Like you, I have mild (sometimes light moderate) persistant acne. I wanted to get rid of it once and for all as well as it began to have a toll on me and my overall confidence.

SO, I decided to go on accutane, and ive been on it for a bit over a month now. With this being said, be prepared to breakout before it gets better...unfortuantely im still partially enduring this breakout...

You really should highly consider it if you are like me and want to defeat this horrible disease lol

I am in the exact same boat as you. Im currently 20 and have been suffering from acne since I was about 14. Ive tried many things including BP, Benzamycin, Minocyclin, and a couple others. Like you, I have mild (sometimes light moderate) persistant acne. I wanted to get rid of it once and for all as well as it began to have a toll on me and my overall confidence.

SO, I decided to go on accutane, and ive been on it for a bit over a month now. With this being said, be prepared to breakout before it gets better...unfortuantely im still partially enduring this breakout...

You really should highly consider it if you are like me and want to defeat this horrible disease lol

Oh, I am considering it, I'm just afraid my dermatologist won't go for it. I have an appt on Dec. 3. I'm prepared to go for another course (short! I will not be put on long term!) of antibiotics if that's what it takes to get what I want. It'd be lovely if he'd just prescribe me the 'tane off the bat.

And I am prepared for the IB. Slightly terrified of it, but trying to keep my eye on the prize!

Just tell him that you don't want antibiotics because they're completely useless, if he's smart enough he will understand.

I hope.

Ugh. I've been "letting my face go," if you will, (ie, stopped using my topicals, just washing and moisturizing) for the last week or so and it's shocking HOW BAD it gets in such a short amount of time. I would definitely say my acne is on the moderate side right now. My forehead is a war zone, and my jaw line is not pretty. Had a cyst UNDER MY EYE. :(

BUT, I'm hoping that suffering for a few days will mean that on Thursday the derm will be more willing to prescribe me Accutane.

I wouldn't mind getting prescribed a short course of antibiotics to clear things up before starting the 'tane tho.

Yep, was in the same boat as you nearly exactly! Same ages, same sort of acne, tried pretty much everything (I tried spironolactone too... pretty useless for me). My derm had no reservation about prescribing me accutane because my referal from my GP confirmed that nothing else had worked. I think when people are adamant that accutane should be for extreme cases only, they can forget that moderate acne that reponds to absolutely nothing is extreme in its own way. Extremely tenacious!

Yep, was in the same boat as you nearly exactly! Same ages, same sort of acne, tried pretty much everything (I tried spironolactone too... pretty useless for me). My derm had no reservation about prescribing me accutane because my referal from my GP confirmed that nothing else had worked. I think when people are adamant that accutane should be for extreme cases only, they can forget that moderate acne that reponds to absolutely nothing is extreme in its own way. Extremely tenacious!

And it can be just as detrimental to your self esteem.

I mean, mine gets so bad (to me at least) that there have been times I've called in sick to work because I start crying when I try to do my makeup to look presentable. There are lots of times I don't go out with friends.

And it sucks when you don't want to kiss your boyfriend because your face hurts and his beard irritates things. (my boyfriend is one of the few, the proud, the weirdos that look better in beards. :) )

I think you'd be able to get accutane. I have mild/moderate acne, but with some scarring (from picking, not cystic). Anyways, I just listed to my dermatologist everything that I've tried and said I'm not interested in trying another product other than isotretinoin, because I know it won't work, I'll tried them all.

Tell her:

- you've tried MANY products

- you've tried MANY antibiotics (BS some if you haven't used a lot, they work but only temporarily)

- it REALLY affects your self esteem!!!

The last one is key.

I don't have very bad acne at all and she prescribed it to me.

Goodluck!

Well, my appointment went VERY well!

I really like my new dermatologist. He seems very sensible, practical, understanding.

I didn't even give him my full list of things I've tried, nor did I have to beg or give him my sob story of how acne affects my life, before he said that my options were:

Solodyn

Differin

Spironolactane

but since I was probably fed up with having to do something every day for the rest of my life, he would also suggest....ACCUTANE!

So, got my first round of bloodwork done yesterday (luckily I'd already had my cholesterol checked recently, so I only had to get my liver/pregnancy status checked, so I didn't have to fast). I see him again on Wednesday to get me started with iPledge, and then, pending another negative pregnancy test the first week of January, I can start!

My new year's resolution: clear skin!

Edited by headtrip_honey

Congratulations, if only all dermatologists were this awesome!

Good luck with the treatment.

Thanks! Yeah, my last dermatologist wasn't quite that awesome.

When I first saw him, and my acne was moderate bordering on severe, he said I was a candidate for Accutane, but lets try minocycline first.

So I did. And it partially cleared me. Then he said, let's see if we can keep this up or improve with Retin-A and Duac.

So I did. But it didn't help. Things started getting worse.

So he wanted to put me on another antibiotic.

I put my foot down and haven't seen him since. (Not because he wanted me on another antibiotic, but because I switched insurance companies and they didn't take my new insurance.)

My new derm said, "Usually I like my patients to try something else before I give them Accutane, but, uhh...I think you've probably had enough, right?"