Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
assassin.

Speed of one's metabolism and oiliness of skin.

There is a clear correlation between the speed of one's metabolism and how oily one's skin is. Generally, people who put on fat easily and have slow metabolisms have dry, acne-less skin. Generally, people who are skinny and have fast metabolisms have oily, acne-ridden skin. Why? Because all the "fat" is exiting out of their pores instead of being attached to their bodies. Why don't obese people have oily, acne-ridden skin even though they eat shit and smoke and drink alcohol all the time? Because their bodies don't allow all the toxins to exit out of their pores; instead it just attaches to their bodies and they become fat.

This is clear proof that when it comes to acne formation and the oiliness of one's skin, the amount of androgens in one's body is not the key factor. It is one's metabolic rate and how one's body stores and burns/expels fat that is most important.

Another piece of evidence that supports the above statement is the fact that people's metabolisms get slower as they age. People ALSO produce less sebum and get less acne as they age. A coincidence? No, a clear relation.

I have a very fast metabolism; I have always been skinny; by slowing my metabolism and forcing my body to store fat instead of release it could I have less facial sebum?

I plan on doing this by starving myself all day and eating only one large meal at night; probably a lot of carbohydrates and junk food like noodles, cookies, etc.

Discuss.

Edited by bojanglesk8

Generally, people who are skinny and have fast metabolisms have oily, acne-ridden skin. Why? Because all the "fat" is exiting out of their pores instead of being attached to their bodies.

I am not playing when I say this, but this is one of the stupidest sh&*@ I have ever read.

I have a very fast metabolism; I have always been skinny; by slowing my metabolism and forcing my body to store fat instead of release it could I have less facial sebum?

I plan on doing this by starving myself all day and eating only one large meal at night; probably a lot of carbohydrates and junk food like noodles, cookies, etc.

Eating less calories will help, but not because of the reason you mention. When you go into starvation mode your body controls your sugar level better.

Don't know what would be the advantage of not having acne if you have to starve, but well, that's just me who enjoys having a life.

Good luck

PS: I would recommend you do some reading.

Edited by venam

Woah, did you just make that up? If not I want some links please :naughty:

I too may be skinny with a fast metabolism and skin that's super oily... but I have plenty of friends like that with great skin :/ Also vice versa (heavier with acne).

I don't think acne is a one-size-fits-all deal unfortunately. As you can see by the numerous and unique posts of causes and cures.

Nice try though dude. Keep that brain working.

skylyre

Let me know how that experiment goes.

Starving yourself and then binging on high carb junk will likely send your blood sugar into a roller coaster of hell. NOT what you want for good skin.

Good luck.

I just started storing fat, although not much (6%), and I was eating less than usual to begin with, but it wasn't up till this point that I started breaking out badly. I guarantee the speed of your metabolism is merely correlative and not causative of acne. By the way, fasting? Horrible for acne. Fasted for a week, drinking only water and eating only celery... my acne was worse that week than ever before.

Interesting topic though; I've often thought the same myself... rather than storing fat, I expel it, hence zits after fast food... But that was simply speculation. Nothing else supports it as far as I know.

Yep, I've often pondered something along the same lines (but triglycerides instead of fat), but never come to the conclusion that eating badly or starving myself may help ;).

I am currently on a diet that is in essence lowering triglycerides though, as thats a lot from what sebum is formed to see if it helps (not a bad diet anyway).

I'd wondered if the skin in some areas can be very sensitive to them, and essential attracts them. I've always had an extremely oily nose, and tried to figure why that area is so oily compared to the rest. Diet as far as I know can't target certain areas easily (although could still affect it), but seeing out of interest if any difference.

It does feel as though "something" affects sebum on a daily basis, just seems elusive what it is. Being fairly sedentary most days due to work (I do excercise a bit), I had wondered if it played a part along those same lines.

I'm always amazed there seems to be so little study on the nature of sebum and what affects it.

Someone brings this up every few months, and sorry, there are always plenty of acne sufferers here who are not skinny/have a high metabolism. I myself have nearly always been a size or two larger than I should be and yet had severe oily skin and acne.

Here's my personal experience. I always thought my oily skin was genetic. I'm 34 and finally have almost normal skin. It's been severely oily since highschool.

I'm still a little oily in the t-zone tho. What has helped my oily skin is cutting out dairy and sugar. Takes a few months to kick in but I can't believe the results.

I have always been skinny with a fast metabolism. However, the older I get, the more my metabolism slows down. For the first time in my life at around age 30, I have to watch what I eat or I gain some weight (and still oily skin). Therefore, for me there is no relation between metabolism and oily skin.