Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I've have mild acne since I was 15, and now I'm 20 years old and it's evolved into moderate/severe cystic acne. It's come to the point where I don't even want to leave the house anymore in fear of someone on the street making comments about my skin. What did I do to deserve this? I remember around 6 months ago my face cleared up after 4 months of tetracycline, and I was at one point in my life since I was 15, happy and confident. Thinking it wouldn't come back, I went off any sort of medication and didn't touch my face, and in September it blew up far worse than ever. I went to my first visit to a dermatologist 2 weeks ago, and my doctor agreed to put me on accutane on the first visit, but I got really agitated when the receptionist said the process to get the prescription would take at least a month, but in my heart I understood it wasn't their fault.

My best friend is setting up a get together for thanksgiving at my house, and its gone to the point where I want to cancel it because I don't want my friends to see me. I hate acne.

well, try and think positive, you'll have fun seeing your friend and having a nice meal together, and hopefully your acne will be the least thing from your mind.

I don't even want to leave the house anymore in fear of someone on the street making comments about my skin. What did I do to deserve this?

I can understand why you don't want to leave your house any more... appearing in public during a bad break out is not the funnest thing in the world. But don't let it become a habit... don't isolate yourself from the world for very long. For the most part, people will not comment on your skin. People don't usually obsess over some one else's appearance. A few might, and those comments will really hurt, but you can't let that stop you from life. When running errands, shopping, etc... just remember that the people around you are strangers. You don't know each other, and will probably never see each other again. And around people you do know, if they are your true friends, will not like you any less just because of your appearance. If a 'friend' doesn't want to associate with you any more just because of your acne, then they are not worth befriending in the first place. Remembering this will help.

People's feelings on exactly why they have acne varies. Some feel that a sort of 'karma' has come back to take it's toll for something they did in the past... like a punishment. Some feel that acne is a sort of philosophical lesson in life. Some feel it's just a medical condition... or any combination of the above or other reasons.

My best friend is setting up a get together for thanksgiving at my house, and its gone to the point where I want to cancel it because I don't want my friends to see me. I hate acne.

A Thanksgiving dinner with close friends could be great fun. Since it's at your house, you are in control of your surroundings. Maybe check your lighting. I've heard that florescent lights make acne appear much worse. If you're a girl, you do have the option of wearing make up. :dance: I apply moisturizer and then pressed powder. I haven't mastered concealer yet... lol. :shifty: You can't make your acne invisible, but you can lessen the appearance of it.

Good luck, and remember, if this person really is your best friend, then your acne shouldn't make any difference.

-HomeBoundGypsy :angel: