Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Drizzler

Greatest thing ever?

I love this stuff, it is gluten-free, grain-free, low-carb, high-fiber, high-protein and is delicious.

I bought this at whole foods - http://www.bobsredmill.com/organic-coconut...ur-mtx6135.html. That brand has a ton of other good unique products.

Dr. Mercola also has a good deal on his own brand, plus this site has some good anti-gluten info. http://www.mercola.com/products/coconut_flour.htm

My favorite recipe is really simple, I whisk two eggs, and add enough coconut flour to make it into a batter. *The coconut flour expands/absorbs really well because it only takes a couple tablespoons or so with two eggs.* Add a small (like 1/4 tsp) of aluminum-free baking powder and a pinch of cinnamon. Gluten-free, grain-free, low-carb PANCAKES! I cook mine in ghee and serve with some 100% maple syrup spiked yogurt, chopped walnuts and blueberries.

I am going to a Christmas party in a few weeks, and everyone will have undoubtedly made their own christmas cookies, and I am sure that many people use shortening and tons of flour and sugar... so I don't really have an interest in eating any of those. Thinking about making these:

Chocolate Cookies

Ingredients

¼ cup sifted TIANA coconut flour

¼ cup butter or TIANA virgin coconut oil

1/3 cup cocoa powder

3 eggs

1/3 cup brown sugar

¼ teaspoon salt

¼ teaspoon vanilla

Method

In a saucepan at low heat, melt butter and stir in cocoa powder. Remove from heat and let cool. In a bowl, combine eggs, sugar, salt and vanilla; stir in cocoa mixture. Whisk coconut flour into batter until there are no lumps. Let batter rest for 4 to 5 minutes to allow it to thicken slightly. Drop batter by the spoonful on greased cookie sheet. Bake at 175 Degree C (350F) for 14 minutes. Makes about 16 cookies.

BAM!

wow. I've heard of all those recipes before. just never got around to trying them.

Not gonna lie...that picture looks damn good.

Gonna hafta give that a shot.

Thanks for the recipe. I just bought coconut flour and experimenting with it. Since it's gluten free it doesn't bind very well so you need a lot of eggs so your recipe doesn't fall apart. It's also VERY high in fiber and absorbent so it's ratio to regular flour is not the same.

about to grab some of this, those pancakes look great... thanks bro

Could I replace the brown sugar with stevia or honey raw? :)

You think it's fine to add agave syrup or maple syrup after is cooked? :)

Edited by EddieE

Chocolate Cookies

Ingredients

¼ cup sifted TIANA coconut flour

¼ cup butter or TIANA virgin coconut oil

1/3 cup cocoa powder

3 eggs

1/3 cup brown sugar

¼ teaspoon salt

¼ teaspoon vanilla

Method

In a saucepan at low heat, melt butter and stir in cocoa powder. Remove from heat and let cool. In a bowl, combine eggs, sugar, salt and vanilla; stir in cocoa mixture. Whisk coconut flour into batter until there are no lumps. Let batter rest for 4 to 5 minutes to allow it to thicken slightly. Drop batter by the spoonful on greased cookie sheet. Bake at 175 Degree C (350F) for 14 minutes. Makes about 16 cookies.

Did you try them? Is the sugar all ready reduced to a minimum? I routinely reduce sugar by 1/3 to 1/2. I haven't made any cookies in a while, but that seems like a very small amount.

It's a shame nobody around here sells the stuff...

The only non-grain flour I've ever seen in local stores is almond flour. I'm sure I could find some recipes with almond flour.

I'm not keen on using sugar, though.

The only non-grain flour I've ever seen in local stores is almond flour. I'm sure I could find some recipes with almond flour.

You can make the pancakes with fine grated coconut instead of flour. I believe that's what Venam does. And I would think the same is true for the cookies.

I like coconut flour for pancakes as well, though I don't like the tast for anything else I've tried. I started using it when I was on my grain-free kick, but even now that I've dropped that I still like making pancakes with coconut flour. This is the recipe I follow, and it turns out looking pretty similar to yours:

1 tbsp coconut flor

1 egg or 1 egg white(surprisingly this is enough egg for the flour)

1/16 tsp baking soda

1/16 tsp salt

1 packet stevia

1/8 tsp vanilla extract

I top it with walnuts, blueberries, and a little honey. I also have a piece of ezekiel cinnamon raisin toast with mashed avocado on the side. It's very yummy.

You can make the pancakes with fine grated coconut instead of flour. I believe that's what Venam does. And I would think the same is true for the cookies.

I admit, I'm far too lazy (and poor) to buy a coconut and grate it into a fine powder. So, I kind of wish somebody around here sold the stuff.

Would almond flour not be as nutritious?

All the same, I'm getting some mad cravings to do some baking with an alternative flour.

I admit, I'm far too lazy (and poor) to buy a coconut and grate it into a fine powder. So, I kind of wish somebody around here sold the stuff.

All the same, I'm getting some mad cravings to do some baking with an alternative flour.

They don't sell grated coconut there? And yeah, you can use almond or all kinds of alternative flours. The Gluten free recipe threads have recipes with alternative flours.

Edited by alternativista

They don't sell grated coconut there? And yeah, you can use almond or all kinds of alternative flours. The Gluten free recipe threads have recipes with alternative flours.

Grated? No. I would have to run 40 minutes to a health food store in another city to get it, most likely. They do sell flaked at Kroger - but I don't know if I could grind that down further or not. And for reference, it's the really crunchy stuff and I'm not really sure if it's precooked or something?

I basically want a gluten, dairy, grain and sugar free recipe. Those are difficult to come by.

Alternativista, you are right, I use organic shredded dessicated coconut. I personally like it better because it has all the fat, the flour making process removes most of the fat. I guess less fat might be better for someone that does not enjoy coconut, but I love coconut.

Here I don't find it at big market chains. I go to a smaller market that sells it (they are along with dried fruits and such). It is also cheap, like $3.50 a pound (can't remember exactly, but I buy 2-3 cups worth for $1). The market is not a health store, is a normal smaller market. Go to www.yelp.com and try to find smaller local markets around your area, maybe a latin or asian market will have it.

Alternativista, you are right, I use organic shredded dessicated coconut. I personally like it better because it has all the fat, the flour making process removes most of the fat. I guess less fat might be better for someone that does not enjoy coconut, but I love coconut.

Here I don't find it at big market chains. I go to a smaller market that sells it (they are along with dried fruits and such). It is also cheap, like $3.50 a pound (can't remember exactly, but I buy 2-3 cups worth for $1). The market is not a health store, is a normal smaller market. Go to www.yelp.com and try to find smaller local markets around your area, maybe a latin or asian market will have it.

I buy it amongst some middle Eastern foods at a supermarket chain there that sells a lot of international foods. It's actually a Hispanic supermarket.

Edit: It's actually cheaper in the bulk bins and Whole Foods. It's like $2 something a pound. And it doesn't weigh anything so you get a lot in a pound.

Icing recipes with most suggestions involving coconut or coconut oil.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/recipes-i...pi-t298456.html

Edited by alternativista

Amazing sale on this coconut flour right now. I love this particular website.

2.2 lbs for $8.39 til Sunday May 9th!

More coconut flour recipes:

Coconut Crepes

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons butter, melted

2 eggs

1 teaspoon honey

1/8 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/3 cup coconut milk

2 tablespoons coconut flour

Directions:

Blend together butter, eggs, honey, vanilla and salt. Stir in coconut milk. Thoroughly mix in coconut flour. Heat 1/2 teaspoon butter in a small skillet. Pour one tablespoon of the batter into the skillet; immediately rotate skillet until there is a thin even layer of batter. Crepe should be about 4 inches in diameter. Cook until batter is bubbly and cooked (I find it easier to flip if they are slightly browned) around the edges. Turn and cook the other side for a moment. Cover one side of crepes with your choice of chopped fruits, nuts, honey lemon curd, apple butter or homemade jam. Roll up and serve.

Coconut-Orange Pound Cake

Ingredients:

5 eggs

1 cup coconut milk

2/3 cup good quality orange juice*

zest of 1 orange

1/2 cup (1 stick) melted butter

2 tbs honey

1/4 tsp salt

2 tsp baking powder

1 cup coconut flour

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a loaf pan with butter or coconut oil and line bottom of pan with parchment paper.

Combine dry ingredients (coconut flour, baking powder, salt) in a bowl, set aside. Add wet ingredients to a separate bowl and use an electric hand mixer (if you have one) to thoroughly combine. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until you get a smooth batter.

Pour batter into loaf pan and bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Invert cake onto rack and allow to cool.

Yield: 1 loaf/8 servings

* You couple probably omit or replace the orange juice, though you'd likely have to rename the recipe haha.

Banana Coconut Cupcakes

Ingredients:

Cake

- 2 Tbsp coconut oil

- 4 Tbsp coconut milk

- 1/2 Cup coconut flour

- 2 Tbsp raw honey or maple syrup

- 1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract

- 3 eggs

- 1 tsp aluminum free baking powder

- 1/2 tsp salt

- 2 whole mashed bananas (very ripe)

- 1/4 C toasted coconut shreds (for the garnish on the icing)

Icing

- 1/4 Cup macadamia nut butter

- 1/4 Cup coconut milk

- 2 Tbsp coconut sugar... you could sub raw honey or maple syrup.

- 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice (or more)

- 1/4 Tbsp 100% vanilla extract

- 1/8 Cup coconut oil

Directions:

- To make the icing:

1. Melt the macadamia nut butter (especially if you’ve had it in the fridge) so that it’s smooth and easy to mix. Melt the coconut oil with the coconut sugar.

2. Mix all of the icing ingredients together thoroughly. Refrigerate for a few hours until it’s texture is similar to icing.

- For the cupcakes:

1. Pre-heat oven to 350

2. In a bowl, mix together coconut flour, salt, baking powder, coconut milk, vanilla extract, bananas and eggs

3. Melt the coconut oil and honey/maple syrup and then slowly add it to the mix.

4. Mix together thoroughly and pour into greased (use coconut oil or non-stick spray) muffin baking pan.

5. Bake for about 20-30 minutes – check after 20 minutes because you might have a better oven. You want to be able to stick a toothpick into the middle and have it come out dry.

6. Remove from oven and let it cool completely (otherwise the icing melts off)

7. Toast the shredded coconut; spread it out on a baking sheet and pop it into the 350 oven for 5 minutes. Shake it around and put it back in for another 2 minutes or until it’s toasted.

8. Spread the icing on top of each and sprinkle with toasted coconut

P.s. Alternativista - I am totally on board with this collecting and organizing recipes/resources etc. I have a HUGE index of all sorts of recipes and sources saved on my computer.

I need to get some of this. As a Celiac person, I'm always looking for better flours. A lot of them are pretty bad for you, but this one seems alright. Also, I love coconuts ^_^

ive changed my min don coconut, i was eating quite a bit and developed chest pain, i stopped and chest pain gone. this could be angina and signal an arterial blockage also known as heart disease.

ive changed my min don coconut, i was eating quite a bit and developed chest pain, i stopped and chest pain gone. this could be angina and signal an arterial blockage also known as heart disease.

I don't think angina can develop and disappear in such a way. It's probably a stomach issue, either way it's smart to stop eating it if it doesn't agree with you.

I don't think angina can develop and disappear in such a way. It's probably a stomach issue, either way it's smart to stop eating it if it doesn't agree with you.

Agreed. I would bet my life savings that it was a stomach issue, like heartburn. Also, because coconut oil couldn't clog your arteries to save your life.

Or, er, end it..

:shifty: