Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dizbet

Burning and Stinging After Moisturizing

I am new to the regimen and have only been on it for a few days. I experience extreme burning after applying moisturizer. I have read posts about this issue on the site but wanted to be more specific about my own experience.

(If you've dealt with this issue PLEASE read the questions at the very end of this post!)

Firstly my acne is not extremely severe, a few pimples here and there until recently, when I started to have constant acne, I have at least a few pimples all the time now. I found the regiment and wanted to give it a try.

I follow the steps and my skin feels fine until I put on the moisturizer, after I start putting on the moisturizer my face gets very red especially on the apples of my cheeks(where I haven't had any problems with acne). I opted to skip the moisturizer yesterday morning because I was going out and wanted to not be able to enjoy myself without the burning I get from the moisturizer. When I got home in the evening I noticed flaking I hadn't seen before and decided it best not to skip moisturizing anymore. I went through all the steps and as usual my face was burning within seconds.

This is what I wanted to talk about, the burning. As I was lying in bed last night my face was burning and I realized that it would hurt less to have a severe sunburn on my face. It literally feels as if my skin is being melted away by acid or something. It burns for I'm not sure how long at night but it's gone by the time I wake up, when I have to do it all over again. After I put on the moisturizer in the morning my skin usually burns for a good 4 hours if not more and maintains redness in some areas. I attempted to use concealer for when I work but it hurt to apply to I have to make due without. A woman I work with asked if I had scratched myself accidentally because my cheek was so red.

Anyway I wanted to ask if there was some sort of alternative way to go through the regimen, like Cleanser and BP in the morning and Cleanser and Moisturizer at night. And if not is there a general time frame for the burning and redness? I mean, how many weeks/months will it take before it decreases?

One more thing, does anyone have any tips to reduce the burning that won't interfere with the regimen?

I apologize for the length of this post but I wanted to make sure I covered everything.

Thanks a ton.

*UPDATE* Yesterday(the day of the post) I decided to try waiting a full 15 minutes as sushikam suggested, instead of the 5 I had been waiting. I had figured since it stood 5-15 in the chart it wouldn't make much of a difference. After waiting the full 15 after each step, the burning was reduced to almost nothing. Compared to what I had experienced before, what I experience after the 15 minutes is a tingle with a slight burn, the redness has also been reduced, there is still redness in some places but it doesn't look as severe as it did before. I have only been able to test this 15 minute thing twice, so hopefully it wasn't just coincidence. I'll update this post again in about a week and let you know if it's still working for me. Good luck to everyone

*UPDATE* Alright so it's been a week and I have been waiting 15 minutes after each step before applying the next. It works for me, I now experience no burning at all, the burning and stinging and even the tingle is gone. My acne is also clearing up. So if you have the burning and stinging problem, I definitely recommended waiting 15 minutes after each step before moving on to the next, I know it sounds like it's a long process but while you wait the 15 minutes you can do something else. Again, I wish you all Luck!

Edited by Dizbet

I am new to the regimen and have only been on it for a few days. I experience extreme burning after applying moisturizer. I have read posts about this issue on the site but wanted to be more specific about my own experience.

(If you've dealt with this issue PLEASE read the questions at the very end of this post!)

Firstly my acne is not extremely severe, a few pimples here and there until recently, when I started to have constant acne, I have at least a few pimples all the time now. I found the regiment and wanted to give it a try.

I follow the steps and my skin feels fine until I put on the moisturizer, after I start putting on the moisturizer my face gets very red especially on the apples of my cheeks(where I haven't had any problems with acne). I opted to skip the moisturizer yesterday morning because I was going out and wanted to not be able to enjoy myself without the burning I get from the moisturizer. When I got home in the evening I noticed flaking I hadn't seen before and decided it best not to skip moisturizing anymore. I went through all the steps and as usual my face was burning within seconds.

This is what I wanted to talk about, the burning. As I was lying in bed last night my face was burning and I realized that it would hurt less to have a severe sunburn on my face. It literally feels as if my skin is being melted away by acid or something. It burns for I'm not sure how long at night but it's gone by the time I wake up, when I have to do it all over again. After I put on the moisturizer in the morning my skin usually burns for a good 4 hours if not more and maintains redness in some areas. I attempted to use concealer for when I work but it hurt to apply to I have to make due without. A woman I work with asked if I had scratched myself accidentally because my cheek was so red.

Anyway I wanted to ask if there was some sort of alternative way to go through the regimen, like Cleanser and BP in the morning and Cleanser and Moisturizer at night. And if not is there a general time frame for the burning and redness? I mean, how many weeks/months will it take before it decreases?

One more thing, does anyone have any tips to reduce the burning that won't interfere with the regimen?

I apologize for the length of this post but I wanted to make sure I covered everything.

Thanks a ton.

What main ingredients are in your moisturiser? Ingredients such as alcohol and salicylic acid can cause itching and redness.

I wouldn't rule out an allergy to BP - what you have now sounds quite painful! Sometimes if you skin is really irritated (as it would be with a BP allergy) moisturizer can sting when you apply it. You also might just be using too much BP too soon, though.

I'd take a break from the regimen and test the BP alone on a small area behind your ear. If you don't have any allergy symptoms there after using it for a few days, then either you were using too much BP on your face without being adapted to it, or you need to switch moisturizers. Try starting back on the regimen using a very small amount of BP once a day, then work up to twice a day, and then increase the amount you use gradually over the course of a month. If you still have issues with stinging when doing this, then the problem is the moisturizer. In that case, try Complex 15 Therapeutic Moisturizing Cream, which is the least likely to sting of the moisturizers I've used and well-liked by many posters here.

I've had similar issues with severe burning and redness. It kind of came out of nowhere. My skin was OK when I put the BP on then I had awful burning after applying moisturizer (I was using DK's moisturizer). My face would stay red for hours and the next morning, it would be all flaky. I switched back to the moisturizer I used before the regimen (Oil of Olay beauty fluid) and it was OK for a few days then I had the same issue.

I've wondered if it's possible that I have BP allergy - but that wouldn't just come out of nowhere, would it?!

I experience burning and itching with the DKR moisturizer as well. Some nights (always the nights that I applied a lot of it, and I don't use it in the morning) I would get some serious burning and itching!! The itching was usually only under my jaw and not so much my face, but the burning was everywhere!

What I have found that works is applying less of the moisturizer. I don't know if you can, depending on the severity of your dryness, but try applying less. I started off by applying one full pump each night, now I'm down to about a half a pump and I experience slight burning, but it goes away usually before I fall asleep, and it's so much more comfortable! I also have been using some extra jojoba oil, applying a thin layer all over my face right before applying the moisturizer, rather than mixing it in with the moisturizer like I used to because I found I would burn more when I did that. So this whole thing may be due to the jojoba oil, though I don't know because jojoba should calm the skin as far as I'm concerned!

Also, it may be the BP. Are you waiting 15 minutes after applying the BP to apply the moisturizer? And maybe you are using too much too fast. I'm only up to one finger full at night and none in the mornings, and I'm 5.5 weeks in, but I have really sensitive skin! Hope you find a solution!

I experience burning and itching with the DKR moisturizer as well. Some nights (always the nights that I applied a lot of it, and I don't use it in the morning) I would get some serious burning and itching!! The itching was usually only under my jaw and not so much my face, but the burning was everywhere!

What I have found that works is applying less of the moisturizer. I don't know if you can, depending on the severity of your dryness, but try applying less. I started off by applying one full pump each night, now I'm down to about a half a pump and I experience slight burning, but it goes away usually before I fall asleep, and it's so much more comfortable! I also have been using some extra jojoba oil, applying a thin layer all over my face right before applying the moisturizer, rather than mixing it in with the moisturizer like I used to because I found I would burn more when I did that. So this whole thing may be due to the jojoba oil, though I don't know because jojoba should calm the skin as far as I'm concerned!

Also, it may be the BP. Are you waiting 15 minutes after applying the BP to apply the moisturizer? And maybe you are using too much too fast. I'm only up to one finger full at night and none in the mornings, and I'm 5.5 weeks in, but I have really sensitive skin! Hope you find a solution!

Hello, first of all thank you for replying, its definitely a benefit to be able to have input from other people that use the product. I wanted to give a short update. Before yesterday I had been waiting about 5 minutes instead of the full 15, I figured since it stood 5-15 minutes on the chart there probably wouldn't be much of a difference, I was wrong. Since you were the one that suggested this I wanted to personally thank you because after waiting 15 minutes instead of 5, the burning was drastically reduced to the point where, compared to how it was before, I'd describe it as a tingle with a slight burn and most definitely bearable. In addition to the reduced burning, the redness has also decreased, I still have some redness but its definitely not a severe as it had been for the past few days. Again thanks a ton for the input! :)

I wouldn't rule out an allergy to BP - what you have now sounds quite painful! Sometimes if you skin is really irritated (as it would be with a BP allergy) moisturizer can sting when you apply it. You also might just be using too much BP too soon, though.

I'd take a break from the regimen and test the BP alone on a small area behind your ear. If you don't have any allergy symptoms there after using it for a few days, then either you were using too much BP on your face without being adapted to it, or you need to switch moisturizers. Try starting back on the regimen using a very small amount of BP once a day, then work up to twice a day, and then increase the amount you use gradually over the course of a month. If you still have issues with stinging when doing this, then the problem is the moisturizer. In that case, try Complex 15 Therapeutic Moisturizing Cream, which is the least likely to sting of the moisturizers I've used and well-liked by many posters here.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I have used BP in the past and had no problems with it but I suppose it is possible that I have developed an allergy to BP. However, after taking some advice and waiting a full 15 minutes instead of 5, the burning and redness has been drastically reduced and I'll be having no problem now with putting on all three in the morning and again at night. Thanks again for the reply. :)

Oh may be the 15 mins waiting might work... I had the same problem... its been arnd 2 months since i started the regimen... at first i used to use cetaphil moisturizer... My face used to suddenly turn red once i applied it... i switched to Olay.. It did burn the first time but the redness reduced in a day or 2... im still using olay and it works great!! :)