Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
exchange

Western diet / grains and acne- potential proof?

Hey,

I just want to throw in my 2 cents.

I am an American exchange student living in Germany. I am 16, male, and am very busy with lots of stress, sports, and women at home in America. In Germany, I am completely on vacation. It's like yoga, I haven't though about anything to hard, and I really don't even have to do homework or anything because it doesn't count for me when I get home. (Leave it to the people who call themselves "educators", in American public systems.)

Anyway, as soon as I arrived in Germany, I noticed acne is a much more severe problem here- at least between everywhere I have been in America and the places I have been around Germany. Almost all youth suffer from acne, mild to severe, but I have only seen a few young people with clear skin.

I checked out the Paleo diet thing, and saw that processed foods could be considered problematic. Specifically I am thinking about processed grains and bread. The most major difference between Germany diet and my American diet is the prominence of grain in daily intake. In America, I eat fast food, fatty foods, and whatever sweets I want. I am a pretty involved athlete, so putting on weight would be difficult for me at this point in my life. I am a very competitive swimmer, and my diet has gone far in excess of 6000 calories a day in America. Often, I can eat a couple pounds of food in one sitting. In Germany, I have cleaned up my crappy American diet and cut out a lot of the things the American diet is famous for (mostly because its not available... lol)

So, with all those variables out of the way, I think the dominance of grain in my German diet has hurt my acne, and it seems to be the only candidate as to why it is so bad here. three fourths of my diet here has to be bread- they don't eat anything without some sort of bread. In the morning, we put meat, cheese, nutella, jam, whatever on warm bread; lunch is sometimes another cooked food, and dinner is always cold bread with meat and cheese.

Now I'm just thinking out loud, but I have trouble believing the entire German population here is just more acne prone. And they eat less greasy fats, so that's not the problem. Sport and exercise is the same, and it's not like everyone here has GAS from stress. Diet seems to be the only difference that I have seen related to acne before that could apply here.

Unfortunately, I'm living in someone else's house and living like they live, so I am kind of forced to eat so much bread (or not eat...). But I will try to cut down as much as possible and monitor how much it affects me. When I get back to America, I'll look for other good sources of calories.

I'm wondering, does anyone have similar experiences to add to this?

In Germany, I have cleaned up my crappy American diet and cut out a lot of the things the American diet is famous for (mostly because its not available... lol)

So, with all those variables out of the way, I think the dominance of grain in my German diet has hurt my acne, and it seems to be the only candidate

Other candidates: are you drinking more alcohol? are your eyes spending fewer hours per day in bright outdoor light? are you sleeping less/more irregularly/less productively? has your caffeine/drug intake changed?

humans arent actually adapted to eating grains. my mom and little sister both have an autoimmune disorder called celiac's disease. it's triggered by gluten which is the key component in beer, bread and anything that has to do with wheat, rye, or barley. ive done my reasearch and concluded(not a professional opinion) that if you can eat a gluten free diet you will see a dramatic improvement in skin quality. i actually still eat alot of bread.. bad me. but i still have acne so... but on a side note. im a competitive swimmer too, what events do you swim?