Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jubilant sleep

DK's Regimen: The Sequel (Started Nov. 9, 2009)

Who am I?

I'm a 22-year-old college senior majoring in English with a concentration in Creative Writing. I'm working on a novel now that I suppose could be classified as fantasy with a growing element of sci-fi. I've been wanting to be a writer since I was in grade school and I guess someday I'll work up the courage to start fishing my work out to publishers. As far as my acne is concerned, I've had horrible break-outs off and on since the age of 11 or 12. I've used just about everything in the book. Clearasil worked for me sometimes. ProActive destroyed my face. The expensive facials and creams I got from my dermatologist dried me out and made me look old. All last year long I had clear skin. I got so used to it that I didn't even notice how awesome it was until it was gone.

History

Well, I'm sure you're all wonder what I mean by "the sequel." You see, the truth is, I started using DK's regimen over a year ago and it worked complete for me within three months and for a year my skin was flawless, but...it was penny-pinching time so I decided to quit the method and try something less expensive. Needless to say...that didn't work out, so a week later I got back on DK's regimen only to discover that my skin has to get used to it all over again. The bumps that appeared within the past few weeks have gone down, but my skin now has this severe ruddy-looking complexion that I am sooo not used to having and it's freaking me out! :doh:

I actually looked in the mirror the other day and didn't recognize myself. My skin has darkened and it feels incredibly dry and itchy and I look and feel absolutely horrible. I'm trying to stay positive and keep my mind focused on the light at the end of the tunnel, but...it's not working. Positive: at least the bumps are drying up. See, I tried.

To help remedy the dryness and ruddiness, I'm going to decrease my BP to one pump (I re-started with two, thinking my skin would be okay with that, but...no :ninja: ). Since my pimples are improving I hope my decreasing the BP won't have a negative effect on that.

My goal for the next week is to have my complexion improve. I don't expect it to be perfect, but I want it to at least START looking normal again.

Edited by jubilant sleep

just start off gently just like u did the first time...gradually increasing from half a pump to a pump to a pump and a half and then till the recommended 2 pumps by the end of the month! if it worked the first time for you it has to work again...all u need is the patience ! :)

I did make a mistake though by trying to start with 2 full pumps since that was what I was using before I quit...bad idea! :| I will be decreasing to 1/2-1 pump starting tonight!

Thanks so much for the encouragement. Really. It means a lot. ;)

Yeah dude, you're better off that most people starting out, you know you'll be fine again soon. I also suggest taking it easy for the first while, keep focused on the end result but don't rush towards it or stuff can go badly wrong.

yeahh what he means is if you start to faast and dont take it easy you could mess up your face because dryness or irritation as you already probably know ads to acne. but yeah youll be fine! hey u should post pictures so we can see improvemnet...thats if you want :) oh yeah make sure your waring suncreen during day too

Oh, I see. I had the dryness and irritation for a couple days but I altered my regimen (slightly) and tried to jojoba mask thing and it's working for now. I'll just use it until the dryness goes away. As far as the acne itself, it's the worst on my chin, but the bumps don't stay for long (2-3 days tops and then they dry out).

I also started on some supplements (Zinc and Fish Oil). I ordered some Niacin, too.

Pics? Hmm...as much as I don't want to I guess it would be good to encourage other people. I'll try to get some on by tomorrow!

Yay pictures! I really like it when people can put themselves out there. I'm glad things are working for you. They'll go back to the way they were and you'll be happy again.

I wanted to take English focusing on creative writing! I wish this site didn't force me to have only 10 messages a day. Anyways I wish you lived near me cause I lack anyone who understands how awesome my ideas are. I love sci-fi and fantasy, Most of my ideas come from my crazy dreams.

anyways things will get better

Quezya

Hey, Quezya! Thanks for stopping by and also thanks for the encouragement. I need as much as I can get these days.

Update

I tried the jojoba oil massage for dryness just tonight and it worked wonders! My skin felt baby soft after I was done and it felt like scaly lizard skin before I started!

What I did was I took about 14 drops of Jojoba oil and very gently spread it over my face, gently massaging as I went along. Wasn't enough, so I added more as I massaged. I was on the phone with my boyfriend (on speaker) so I just massaged my face while I talked to him. I did that for about 30 minutes straight. It wasn't my intention but I couldn't get him to stop talking! Good thing he didn't shut up though because the longer I massaged, the more the dry flakes loosened up. After I was done with my extended massage, I wet a rag with warm (not scalding hot) water and very gentle wiped the loose flakes from my face. My skin felt sooo smooth when I was done. Then I hopped in the shower and washed my face as per usual. I couldn't get over how smooth my skin felt. After that, I blotted it with a towel and brushed my teeth while I waited for my face to dry more. Then I applied about a half a pump of BP and the next thing I'm going to do is apply a generous amount of moisturizer with a couple drops of jojoba oil just to keep the dryness at bay.

I'm very happy with the results so far and I plan on doing this again tomorrow night. I'll try it out for a week and then I'll stop because my skin is very oily naturally. It's just that the onset of too much BP dried it out (because it's extremely oily AND sensitive on top of that, go figure).

On the downside, I'm getting a new zit on the right side of my forehead, but eh, these things are to be expected. No biggie. I'm just glad the scaly skin is gone!

Quick Update

Still a little hesitant to upload this picture of the cluster of bumps on my chin because they look so gross, but I did take a picture.

Anyway, The flakiness is continuing to go down every night I do the jojoba oil massage. As far as the acne is concerned. The bump on my forehead isn't showing any signs of going anywhere anytime soon but one of the bumps on my chin came to a head yesterday morning and has already dried up this morning so things are pushing along nicely.

Since the dryness has subsided I have been using a full pump of BP with no adverse effects and will continue to use a full pump for the next week. Then I'll move up to a pump and a half.

I'm glad its working out well for you. Message me when the weeks over so I can decide if i want to buy some of this stuff. Load the picture babe.... come on its hard but it makes dealing with everything easier. I was so hesitant but now if i had the camera I would be posting nearly everyday.

Here comes the pic!

post-78418-1259210720_thumb.jpg

Lots of bumps on the chin. Some are drying out. Some are just coming to a head. At least they're all moving through the cycle. That means soon they cycle will end. Well at least that's what I'm hoping for. I'm sure it will, seeing how that's what happened last year when I started DK's regimen. Since this pic, the one in the middle dried up and slid off. There was one to the side that's starting to dry up and one more just above it starting to come to a head this afternoon. While it is annoying to see them there every morning and night when I wash my face, I try to stay positive and I remind myself that they're going to go away quickly.

Small Update

As for the dryness...meh, that's what I've got to say. :confused:

It's not as if it's getting any worse. It's just that it's taking a heck of a long time to get better. Don't get me wrong. A lot of the dryness has flaked off and my face feels a lot smoother than it did over the weekend (I couldn't even smile without my face cracking back then) but I've been slathering so much jojoba oil over my face I figured it would all just slide off at once.

Eh...this is only the fourth day or so that I've been doing the jojoba massage. Nowhere near long enough for perfection, right? And at least I've been improving. Wow, all this optimistic stuff is hard to say...lol.

Anyways, I'm gonna keep moving.

Quezya, I'll try to remember to message you this weekend and let you know what's going on. I firmly suggest you try it out, though. This is my second time trying it but it worked perfectly fine the first time. Of course everyone's skin is different. All I can say is this is the only thing that's ever worked consistently for me (as long as I've stayed on it of course).

Irjamez, I'm not sure about the tube. The tube wasn't even in existence when I started using the regimen, but I guess if you were to dispense it in a thick line (not too thick but certainly not a thin line) over your index finger, then that would probably be one pump's work from the tube. You may want to check with someone who has the tube, or maybe Dan has it on the site somewhere.

post-78418-1259210720_thumb.jpg

Update

Good news and bad news. The good news is that the bigger bumps are going down (the one on my forehead is completely gone and the one on the side of my chin is reducing in size). The bad news is that I'm getting dozens of really really tiny bumps on my forehead and chin. Make-up hides them easily but they are soooo annoying! I know exactly what the culprit is: the jojoba oil massage. I think maybe I used too much oil. Also, the washcloth wiping may be causing excessive irritation as well. So to make sure, I'm going to stop doing the oil massage period (even though it was helping with the leftover dryness). Then after a week, if the small irritated bumps go down, I'll just stick with Dan's regimen only and leave everything else out of it.

Another update is that I just started taking 250 mg of niacin (vitamin b3) as I read that it helps clear up acne and some people have reported very quick success with it so I wanted to give it a try. I took one 250 mg pill last night and braced myself for a skin flush but I didn't feel much of anything. Maybe the dosage is too low. I'll stay on the 250 mg of niacin for a week before I move up to 500 mg to see if that makes a difference. No more topical experimentation but I really did want to give niacin a try. I want my face to be back to normal as soon as possible!

Update

Just popping in to report continued success. Still getting occasional pimples on my chin but they only last for a few days.

The weird tiny bumps on my face turned out to be the dried up stuff that came out of my pores and sort of...stayed there (hard to explain) so I used a Burt's Bees scrubs. I know scrubs are a no no but I rarely ever used them. Even when I was clear I only used it once a week and it kept my skin flawless. Well I took a chance with it today and I'm happy to report an 80% decrease in the weird little bumpy thingies. Yep, they're almost totally gone (because they weren't really bumps to begin with). I'm going to wait a week before I do the scrub again.

As for the niacin, I've had three flushes so far. I've been taking it for a week. The first flush was unexpected as I did not flush the first day that I took it. It started out as an itchy feeling on my ears, then I felt like I was an inch away from a raging bonfire for about 30 minutes but then all was fine after that. I flushed every other day until yesterday. I'm expecting another flush tonight. They aren't lasting as long, so I guess that's a good thing. I'll be moving up from 250 mg to 500 mg in about a week just to see if it makes a difference in my skin. Hard to tell if it's helping or if it's just Daniel K's regimen, though.

Ugh...what a stressful holiday it's been

Well about three weeks ago I broke out really really REALLY bad. And I mean this breakout is absolutely horrible. I can't remember the last time my face looked this horrible. Years ago, for sure. Not taking any pictures because every time I look in the mirror I get severely depressed but I'll describe the break-out. I've got a CLUSTER of HUGE zits on the right side of my forehead. I've got two or three nice sized zits in each of my eyebrows. Two painful zits on the bridge of my nose. Three or four on my nose. Two huge zits on the side of my nose. An uncountable number of huge zits on my chin. At least two on one cheek and one on the other. I don't even want to add up how many that is because I keep getting a new one every day or every other day.

And the kicker is I know exactly what caused the breakout: I did. Remember when I said my skin was dry (boo hoo dry skin. Well I'd much rather have that than a zillion zits!) and I used the Jojoba massage and used WAAAAY more oil than was prescribed? Well I had been doing that for over a week and about three or four weeks later (about the same time it takes for acne to surface after a disturbance, according to my research), I started breaking out BIG TIME. AVOID the jojoba massage if you can. Endure the dryness and the flakes. I guarantee you it's better than dealing with a devilish breakout of ginormous zits.

Anyway, the regimen is working as well as it can. It's drying up zits (slower than I would like) and they're going away but they're only being replaced by more so it seems pretty hopeless at this point. Also I can't imagine how bad the scarring will be after this breakout clears up. I did a complete 360 since the first time I used the regimen last year (and had success). I think my skin now is even worse than it was back then. Isolated zits (no matter what size) are preferred over a face full of them, methinks.

The breakout has done horrible things to my confidence. I'm spending the holidays with my fiance and every time he looks at me I look away. We haven't gone out one time since I've been here because I know people are going to stare at my face. He says I'm beautiful and that my skin doesn't matter and all of that but I don't see beautiful when I look in the mirror at all of these horrendous zits. I can't count the number of times I've just broken down and cried after glancing at myself in the mirror to see how bad the damage was. Gosh it's been absolutely horrible. And I hate to ruin my time with my fiance because we usually have so much fun but now I just lay around and mope and never want to leave the house because I'm so self-conscious I don't know what to do with myself.

So, anyway, to my regimen changes.

I'm desperate now so I've switched to three pumps of BP and I am no longer using a moisturizer. My skin is already severely oily (always has been) so I figure if I use more BP and cut out secondary creams, it will work better and the zits will dry up sooner. This morning I noticed one of the bigger zits busted so I guess it's working. But I have three new (painful) ones on my chin. I didn't even know anymore could fit there! My chin looks absolutely horrible right now. Ugh!

Anyway, I'll be updating again in a week I guess. Hopefully by then it'll be more improvements and less setbacks.

Happy New Year.