Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AriadnaLoli

Retin-A Micro withdrawals

I have been using Retin-A Micro 0.1% for a year now. My gel pump just ran out the other day, and the refill date (I had 3 refills left) ended in September. Since it is the weekend, it will be a few days before I can get some more. Do you think my skin will flare up badly? It's been doing okay so far, but I'm still worried about it. It'll probably be a week without the Retin-A Micro. Does anyone have any similar experiences? Retinoids are kind of iffy and sometimes you don't know what to expect. :shifty:

Edited by AriadnaLoli

Ive been on Retin-a a long time and i find that if i miss more than 2 or 3 days ill get 1 or 2 pimples, nothing serious tho. Hopefully u will be ok without for a whole week ive never been that long without it

Edited by PinkPlayBunny

Thank you for your reply, PinkPlayBunny. I love this stuff, and plan on using it when I reach my twenties, thirties, and so on. It's great for preventing wrinkles, as long as you use sunscreen everyday. :angel: I just hope I can get it filled without going to the doctor (since it would be a useless visit, in a sense). :ninja:

Thank you for your reply, PinkPlayBunny. I love this stuff, and plan on using it when I reach my twenties, thirties, and so on. It's great for preventing wrinkles, as long as you use sunscreen everyday. :angel: I just hope I can get it filled without going to the doctor (since it would be a useless visit, in a sense). :ninja:

I had awful withdrawal symptoms within days TBH. I eventually stopped using it entirely. Deem it as you might, I didn't feel comfortable being more and more reliant on the stuff throughout my life. If you need it ASAP you can always pick it up from any drug store in Mexico OTC.

Anyway, best of luck! Hopefully you don't get the same symptoms/dependency as I did.

I had awful withdrawal symptoms within days TBH. I eventually stopped using it entirely. Deem it as you might, I didn't feel comfortable being more and more reliant on the stuff throughout my life. If you need it ASAP you can always pick it up from any drug store in Mexico OTC.

Anyway, best of luck! Hopefully you don't get the same symptoms/dependency as I did.

Oh gosh. :shock: I did try natural beauty products (Yes to Carrots, Burt's Bees, Alba, etc.) several months ago, since I was wary about what to put on my skin. However, I still used the retinoid. Retin-A is great, though, and I did stop it for a few days back in July when I was on my vacation. I didn't really break out, but it's already been a few days as it is. Can you order from an online Mexican pharmacy? If not, it'd be kind of weird going all the way to Mexico for a few pumps of Retin-A. :lol: Although, I would like to see more of the world. :razz:

Thank you for the insight also, treefase93.

No problem lol.

I'm afraid you'd probably have to go there. I'm not exactly sure about the legality of importing prescription medicines online. That's where I got my Retin-A. Got two tubes of the stuff for like $4? A good insurance will beat that but it's not bad :).

Retin-A might be good for treating wrinkles, but I have yet to see the long-term effects of the stuff. I plan on living past 100 and am not enthused at the thought of having my skin fold up like paper. Who knows though... just my theory.

Edited by treefase93

Thank you two, again. I ended up calling the pharmacy. I'll have to call in at the doctor tomorrow for another prescription. Ugh...another $9, but it's no big deal. I have so much stress with school right now and it's pain in the neck getting some things done. I wish none of us had to go through this. I wouldn't wish this skin condition on my worst enemy. I did read in Allure magazine that a person who uses a retinoid and sunscreen regularly will look a lot better in twenty years than someone who didn't. I like how retinoids will fade marks and scars, since a horrible breakout caused those. It sucks being a 16-year-old, sometimes.

Thank you two, again. I ended up calling the pharmacy. I'll have to call in at the doctor tomorrow for another prescription. Ugh...another $9, but it's no big deal. I have so much stress with school right now and it's pain in the neck getting some things done. I wish none of us had to go through this. I wouldn't wish this skin condition on my worst enemy. I did read in Allure magazine that a person who uses a retinoid and sunscreen regularly will look a lot better in twenty years than someone who didn't. I like how retinoids will fade marks and scars, since a horrible breakout caused those. It sucks being a 16-year-old, sometimes.

hi AriadnaLoli!

im 4 weeks into RAM and im starting to become reallly discouraged... since youve been using retin a for so long i was hoping you could give me some idea of how long it took you to see results??!?!? my acne is purely deep seeded comedones which arent noticable unless i pull my skin back and brown/red marks from an old breakout. lately all its been doing is flaring everything up.... do you think retina would help these?

hi AriadnaLoli!

im 4 weeks into RAM and im starting to become reallly discouraged... since youve been using retin a for so long i was hoping you could give me some idea of how long it took you to see results??!?!? my acne is purely deep seeded comedones which arent noticable unless i pull my skin back and brown/red marks from an old breakout. lately all its been doing is flaring everything up.... do you think retina would help these?

Hello, aprilmay. I was actually on three different things. I first used Proactiv, but then quit using it and suffered a horrible breakout (my forehead was covered in zits). Now, I have the scarring due to quitting cold turkey. Anyway, I was on an antibiotic called minocycline 100 mg and took it twice a day. It sucked because you're not allowed to have dairy, iron, zinc, antacids, Vitamin D, etc. (just look it up on the Internet) two hours before or after you take it. It's hard to pull off. I washed with a cleanser, used a toner, then used a topical gel called Duac (benzoyl peroxide 5%-clindamycin 1%) in the morning. My face burnt like hell, even after I had been using it for two months straight. I had to wait several minutes to put my moisturizer on, since that would just give the burning sensation something to feed on.

At night, I cleansed, toned, and then used the Retin-A Micro gel. I was wary at first, but the dermatologist said that where I was on the antibiotic, the initial breakout wouldn't be so bad. Today, I'm done with the Duac, and quit the antibiotic several months ago, and only used the Retin-A. However, my skin is starting to break out from it being a week without it (and their confusion, as usual, with prescriptions at the doctor's office...ugh).

I would suggest you talk to your doctor about an antibiotic. They do have a downside, though. Some people think they're okay, quit them, and then their skin turns worse than ever. So, they go on it again, and it never works the same. Their body is used to it. The initial breakout period usually lasts about 12-16 weeks. I remember when I had my breakout, and I thought things would never get better. But time flies, and some clean makeup (I used Maybelline products) can help out. You can try to stick it out, and use tea tree oil on your zits that are coming up (I'm doing this now because of my dumbass doctors). You just have to remember, Retin-A will take time, but it works so well for many people. You can even consider the rigimen I was on last year and ask about it. You will get through this. I was in your place not long ago, but now I'm moving forward and enjoying life. Try not to let your zits hold you back. Us humans are beautiful no matter what.

At night, I cleansed, toned, and then used the Retin-A Micro gel. I was wary at first, but the dermatologist said that where I was on the antibiotic, the initial breakout wouldn't be so bad. Today, I'm done with the Duac, and quit the antibiotic several months ago, and only used the Retin-A. However, my skin is starting to break out from it being a week without it (and their confusion, as usual, with prescriptions at the doctor's office...ugh).

I would suggest you talk to your doctor about an antibiotic. They do have a downside, though. Some people think they're okay, quit them, and then their skin turns worse than ever. So, they go on it again, and it never works the same. Their body is used to it. The initial breakout period usually lasts about 12-16 weeks. I remember when I had my breakout, and I thought things would never get better. But time flies, and some clean makeup (I used Maybelline products) can help out. You can try to stick it out, and use tea tree oil on your zits that are coming up (I'm doing this now because of my dumbass doctors). You just have to remember, Retin-A will take time, but it works so well for many people. You can even consider the rigimen I was on last year and ask about it. You will get through this. I was in your place not long ago, but now I'm moving forward and enjoying life. Try not to let your zits hold you back. Us humans are beautiful no matter what.

thanks for the advice, ill try to get through the IB its just so scary when you get the cysts/ nodules. i NEVER got these until RAM so i freaked out!! Winter break is in a few weeks so thisll give me time to help my skin...as if i dont already obsess about it... cant wait to not have to think about skin!

oh im already on doxy, i cant really tell if its working or not but ill continue using it until it runs out! and what was the regimen you were on last year? how effective was it for you?

Edited by aprilmay

thanks for the advice, ill try to get through the IB its just so scary when you get the cysts/ nodules. i NEVER got these until RAM so i freaked out!! Winter break is in a few weeks so thisll give me time to help my skin...as if i dont already obsess about it... cant wait to not have to think about skin!

oh im already on doxy, i cant really tell if its working or not but ill continue using it until it runs out! and what was the regimen you were on last year? how effective was it for you?

I washed with a cleanser (any cleanser would do the trick), used a toner, and then used the Duac topical gel in the morning. Once the Duac burning sensation subsided, I put on a tinted moisturizer, and then some Maybelline concealer and foundation.

At night, I washed with the same cleanser I used that morning, used the same toner, then used the Retin-A pump. I would dab tea tree oil or a sulfur mask on any spots.

I took the minocycline morning and night, but then quit it after three or four months of use. I didn't want my body to get used to it, and by that time, all that remained were dark spots and scars, with probably one or two active zits on my face. I started using the Duac every other night, then twice a week, then once a week until I no longer had to use it anymore. It was still burning after four to five months of use, and I hated that feeling. It's very effective, but maybe a bit too effective for people with sensitive skin. I used the toner until it ran out, then used witch hazel in its place a few times a week.

Now, I just use Retin-A, and wash with this Clean&Clear lemongrass cleanser morning and night. My skin is paying the price right now (due to my lack of good timing, along with the doctor's, for the refill process), and I'm getting a few zits around the mouth and chin area, but nothing major. It's discouraging to break out, but you'll get through it. I know it's hard not to obsess, but try to do other things with your time. Don't worry about when you won't have to obsess, try to not do it now. I know that's easier said than done, but you'll see that all this time obsessing could have been put to good use by doing something else. It's how I feel, anyway...

Be sure to take your doxycycline with a full glass of water, though. See about the whole no-dairy, no-zinc rules, since it could be slightly different for you (not much though, since it is a tetracycline antibiotic).

Man, this is bullshit. Ugh! It's been about eight or nine days without Retin-A Micro, and of course, there's not much you can do when it's the Thanksgiving holiday weekend. My skin is suffering a mild breakout, but it's not getting any better.

My advice to everyone: If the "refill until XX/XX/XXXX" date is near on your meds, don't expect any doctor to help you out if you do go over. They'll obviously think getting a Retin-A script is the same as asking for Methadone or Valiums.

I'm very upset right now...

:xxx: