Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gogogadgetclearskin

exfoliating when just starting Dan's regimen?

I started Dan's regimen the beginning of this week.

I've been battling with moderate face Acne since 2005. Tried Proactive, SkinID, over-the-counter topical products, all of which do work to a certain extent but leaves my skin feeling irregular (dry, irritated, not like a regular healthy person's skin).

Heres the product I'm using.

Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser (I love this stuff)

2.5% BP (leftover from my SkinID regimen)

Cetaphil Moisturizer (evenings) Neutragena SPF15 moisturizer (day)

So far the instructions Dan provided: Wash fash extremely gently for less than 10 secs, applying BP gently, etc) has been sort of working. However my skin is left rather dry and flakey due to the extra amount of BP I'm applying.

Should I be exfoliating at this stage? Or will the flake and dryness eventually go away?

Thanks for any tips or suggestions!

How much BP are you using?

It's totally normal for your skin to be dry early on in The Regimen. It takes time to adjust to the BP. So just make sure you're taking things slowly and moisturizing a lot. (You may want to add some jojoba oil to your moisturizer.)

Because your skin is already dry and irritated, I wouldn't suggest trying to exfoliate. When your skin adjusts to the BP more, you can try the baby brush method o rexfoliating with jojoba oil.

I don't think that you should exfoliate so early into the regimen because it could further irritate your skin. Be extra gentle with your face, don't pick at it, don't scrub it, don't rub it. This will only worsen the dryness and irritation.

I re-started DK's Regimen a week ago (long story) and I was surprised at the dryness and the darkening of my complexion. I don't even look like myself anymore! I started using his products last year and I think that it took at least a month and a half for my skin to get used to the BP (after that, my skin was silky smooth for...well up to now, after I decided I was too good for DK's regimen and wanted to try something else :wall: ). Fear not. Things shall improve for you. Just be patient (I'm trying to be as well).

Good luck.

How much BP are you using?

It's totally normal for your skin to be dry early on in The Regimen. It takes time to adjust to the BP. So just make sure you're taking things slowly and moisturizing a lot. (You may want to add some jojoba oil to your moisturizer.)

Because your skin is already dry and irritated, I wouldn't suggest trying to exfoliate. When your skin adjusts to the BP more, you can try the o r.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm using almost a full finger length of 2.5% BP. I've been on BP since a year ago when I decided to try Neutragena's SkinID so I thought my face was well adjusted to BP but I guess not. I will look into the baby brush method when I'm further in Dan's regimen. Not sure about jojoba oil, seeing as some members say that the oil causes them to breakout more. I am a true believer of minimalism...trying to apply as less products as possible onto my skin.

I don't think that you should exfoliate so early into the regimen because it could further irritate your skin. Be extra gentle with your face, don't pick at it, don't scrub it, don't rub it. This will only worsen the dryness and irritation.

I re-started DK's Regimen a week ago (long story) and I was surprised at the dryness and the darkening of my complexion. I don't even look like myself anymore! I started using his products last year and I think that it took at least a month and a half for my skin to get used to the BP (after that, my skin was silky smooth for...well up to now, after I decided I was too good for DK's regimen and wanted to try something else :wall: ). Fear not. Things shall improve for you. Just be patient (I'm trying to be as well).

Good luck.

Thanks for the kind words. I started using BP ever since my proactive days, but my skin just doesn't seem to get used to BP as its always tingling, itchy, dry, flakey...are there individuals out there that just don't get used to BP?

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm using almost a full finger length of 2.5% BP. I've been on BP since a year ago when I decided to try Neutragena's SkinID so I thought my face was well adjusted to BP but I guess not.

Oh wow, I'm three and half weeks into Dan's regimen, and I'm only up to two-thirds of a finger.. which leads me to answer your question below with my personal experience.

I started using BP ever since my proactive days, but my skin just doesn't seem to get used to BP as its always tingling, itchy, dry, flakey...are there individuals out there that just don't get used to BP?

Like I said, I'm three and a half weeks in, and I'm not even using a full finger. I have the same problem as you, face is itchy, tingly, dry, and flaky each time I increase the amount of BP each week. Before moving onto a higher dosage, I wait until my skin is pretty tolerate of the current amount I'm using (like only tingling/itching for several minutes after application instead of almost all day, redness isn't noticeable). I just have pretty sensitive skin, and moving up the dosage of BP a little slower than the recommended time-line has helped. I just don't see any sense in provoking my overly sensitive skin if I can help it. Even with increasing BP this slowly, my face is almost entirely clear of active acne and has been for a week.

Sorry to say though, even though my redness now after application is almost none, I still have a problem with flakes. I think the main catalyst for that is not being able to exfoliate during the first four weeks because of increased irritation when first beginning. I know exfoliation is a big no-no during the first four weeks, but for the last week I still haven't been able to resist the urge to gently massage a flaky area with a soft cloth, and I never do this over any inflammatory acne areas (which mine are actually gone except my forehead). Sometimes, adding extra moisturizer to the areas I know are prone to flake helps, but this is only preventive and really doesn't get rid of the flaky dead skin cells that exfoliation can. All in all, it's better just to wait it out a month until you can add AHA, do the baby brush exfoliation, or the jojoba oil exfoliation. It's not that long of a wait! :)

Yeah, if you're only a week in, you should only be using about half a finger's worth, if that. It should take you about a month to work your way up to a full finger's length.

Try stopping The Regimen for a few days to let your skin recover, and then start again with about 1/4 of a finger's worth for a week, and slowly increase the amount of BP you're using. That should help a lot with the dryness.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm using almost a full finger length of 2.5% BP. I've been on BP since a year ago when I decided to try Neutragena's SkinID so I thought my face was well adjusted to BP but I guess not.

Oh wow, I'm three and half weeks into Dan's regimen, and I'm only up to two-thirds of a finger.. which leads me to answer your question below with my personal experience.

I started using BP ever since my proactive days, but my skin just doesn't seem to get used to BP as its always tingling, itchy, dry, flakey...are there individuals out there that just don't get used to BP?

Like I said, I'm three and a half weeks in, and I'm not even using a full finger. I have the same problem as you, face is itchy, tingly, dry, and flaky each time I increase the amount of BP each week. Before moving onto a higher dosage, I wait until my skin is pretty tolerate of the current amount I'm using (like only tingling/itching for several minutes after application instead of almost all day, redness isn't noticeable). I just have pretty sensitive skin, and moving up the dosage of BP a little slower than the recommended time-line has helped. I just don't see any sense in provoking my overly sensitive skin if I can help it. Even with increasing BP this slowly, my face is almost entirely clear of active acne and has been for a week.

Sorry to say though, even though my redness now after application is almost none, I still have a problem with flakes. I think the main catalyst for that is not being able to exfoliate during the first four weeks because of increased irritation when first beginning. I know exfoliation is a big no-no during the first four weeks, but for the last week I still haven't been able to resist the urge to gently massage a flaky area with a soft cloth, and I never do this over any inflammatory acne areas (which mine are actually gone except my forehead). Sometimes, adding extra moisturizer to the areas I know are prone to flake helps, but this is only preventive and really doesn't get rid of the flaky dead skin cells that exfoliation can. All in all, it's better just to wait it out a month until you can add AHA, do the baby brush exfoliation, or the jojoba oil exfoliation. It's not that long of a wait! :)

I guess I have to wait patiently then. I agree, maybe I should use less BP, say 1/2 fingers length to see if that helps with the BP irritation. Good to hear that the regimen is working well for you.

Yeah, if you're only a week in, you should only be using about half a finger's worth, if that. It should take you about a month to work your way up to a full finger's length.

Try stopping The Regimen for a few days to let your skin recover, and then start again with about 1/4 of a finger's worth for a week, and slowly increase the amount of BP you're using. That should help a lot with the dryness.

This brings back the question. When I first started using pro-active, the stuff really worked well for me, my face was absolutely clear 2 months into using it. Then I decided that I probably grew out of the acne so I stopped using proactive. Within a month my skin was 10x worse than it was before. I went from very very mild acne to moderate/severe acne.

How would one know when to stop using BP? Do we all have to be BP users for life?

How would one know when to stop using BP? Do we all have to be BP users for life?

Definitely not! There are natural ways to keep your skin clear (supplements, green smoothies, different diet), and many people have documented success from those methods, but most people find it easier to stick to a topical solution. If BP clears you up and you stop using it, you may break out because the BP is what is preventing your acne from developing. However, perhaps if you start using a more natural acne remedy (change in diet for example) while you are using BP and you gently wean yourself off of it, maybe you'll be okay. This isn't from experience. I intend to do the green smoothie thing someday, but for now DK's method is a more simple solution (to me).

Hope that helped to answer your question.

Definitely not! There are natural ways to keep your skin clear (supplements, green smoothies, different diet), and many people have documented success from those methods, but most people find it easier to stick to a topical solution. If BP clears you up and you stop using it, you may break out because the BP is what is preventing your acne from developing. However, perhaps if you start using a more natural acne remedy (change in diet for example) while you are using BP and you gently wean yourself off of it, maybe you'll be okay. This isn't from experience. I intend to do the green smoothie thing someday, but for now DK's method is a more simple solution (to me).

Hope that helped to answer your question.

I guess what I really was asking is if acne will ultimately go away without any use of topical or oral medication / natural remedies etc. I do know people who have had moderate/severe acne during a period in their life and eventually grow out of it. Does everyone eventually grow out of acne?