Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Person~

Determotologist advice? Thanks!

I have moderate to severe acne and about 2 months ago stopped using Proactiv and since then started using what my doctor prescribed. I am now using Differin 0.1% before going to bed, Azalaic acid creme 20% in the morning and Minocyline twice a day. The doctor said I just have to use a non-comedogenic cleanser as well so I use Aveeno Clear Complexion which has only 2% salicylic acid.

So far after about 2 months the acne went down a little but there's still alot to go. I was wondering if instead of using this Aveeno cleanser, I could start using the extra strength Proactiv Cleanser again which has 7% Benzine Peroxide? Is it comedogenic? Would you recommend using this system or should I go to the doctor and get something different. I need the acne to be cleared as fast as possible! Thanks!

Oh my darling Person~

This sounds exactly like the way I started a few years ago. First of all, don't freak out if it takes a while for your acne to go away. Moderate to severe acne can be pretty tricky at times....trust me.

First of all, I would say get off of the Proactiv entirely. I used it for many years when I was younger and I'm paying for it now. Proactiv ruined the PH balance of my face and only made me break out worse over time.

I've been on all of the same products that your dermatologist is giving you now. I personally didn't see a differece with my skin but EVERYONE is different. Either way, it takes at least 3 months to see a true difference and for your skin to adapt to this new regimen.

I would say that you should stick with a very gentle non-comedogenic cleanser, not Proactiv. I know you want to attack your skin as much as possible but you don't want to aggravate it too much. :)