Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BeachBabyatHeart

RETIN-A FOR SCAR TREATMENT, DID IT WORK FOR YOU?

Hello Everyone,

I was unable to find much information on retin-a as a scar treatment only. I just finished my accutane treatment and am left with some scarring. I'm on the Retin-a .04%. My scars are slight rolling scars (I think that is the type) that aren't very deep, but at certain angles they are visible. I started the treatment 4 days ago, so I'm not expecting a difference for a couple more weeks. :pray:

I just wanted to know if Retin-a worked for you as a scar treatment. Please let me know what strength you used, how long it took for you to see a difference (if it worked), and the severity of your scars. I'm just wondering if this treatment is worth it...I think we all know it's difficult to use treatments that don't really work :(

Thank you for your input, it's extremely helpful in my search of a good scar treatment!

Edited by BeachBabyatHeart

I started the treatment 4 days ago, so I'm not expecting a difference for a couple more weeks. :pray:

Um ... you might want to amend your expectations. I've been on Retin-A .1% cream for 3 1/2 years and it has definitely helped. But my scars looked worse before they looked better. Retin-A seems to bring old scar tissue to the surface, so you have to be patient. I also use Pernox Scrub, which is unlike any other scrub and, in conjunction with the Retin-A, has made my skin look 10 years younger. It took over a year to reap the results, but it was worth the wait.

I only use the Pernox once a week -- it's quite potent -- but I rub vigorously to achieve a microdermabrasion. It seems to break up the scar tissue. Then the Retin-A stimulates collagen growth.

http://www.amazon.com/Pernox-Scrub-Cleanse...ef=pd_sim_hpc_1

Edited by Robert

I want to bring something to everyones attention thats on this board regarding harsh methods and how they can set you back.

Lets say you get a scar today, a year from now some collagen has formed and the facial scar looks much better. I emphasize facial because things are different on the rest of the body. So your happy with the gains but you want more improvement so you start seeking other methods on how you can improve the scar further.

That new collagen that has formed whether natural or by using topicals to help boost collagen growth, is very very fragile. So all that collagen that was gained thru out the year can be easily wiped out with things such as harsh scrubs, microdermabrasion, peels. I caution you not to use anything thats slightly harsh after you gained some imrovement, it will only set you back to what the scar looked like when you first got it. You have to use light methods that doesnt hinder that top layer of skin or collagen. Picture that collagen like butter it gets easily wiped out. This happened to many on here and they became very regretful. I can think back to 5 years ago how many destroyed what collagen gains they achived with things such as the power peel microdermabrasion and even light 20% acid peels.

If you want further improvement you can use acids but dont allow any scabbing to form and forget about a microdermabrasion, it will scrape and suck any gains you achived in that one year.

A few members on here realized this years ago and it was a hot discussion back then.

For the OP just use retina A, do not try anything harsh such as lasers or peels, you will make things worse not because you have gained any collagen, but if theyre shallow scars, they will for sure change with time and as you gain some weight. Yes extra fat on the cheeks are natural fillers and will help the scars appearance.

Furthermore you dont want to add to your shallow scars, many on here have scarred from lasers and peels and can only wish they left their scars alone.

Give this scar another year before you decide on doing anything. Just use retina a daily and maybe some light acids but dont ever form scabs, so use things like 6 percent or 10 percent, enough to be red but never to bleed or scab.

I want to bring something to everyones attention thats on this board regarding harsh methods and how they can set you back.

Lets say you get a scar today, a year from now some collagen has formed and the facial scar looks much better. I emphasize facial because things are different on the rest of the body. So your happy with the gains but you want more improvement so you start seeking other methods on how you can improve the scar further.

That new collagen that has formed whether natural or by using topicals to help boost collagen growth, is very very fragile. So all that collagen that was gained thru out the year can be easily wiped out with things such as harsh scrubs, microdermabrasion, peels. I caution you not to use anything thats slightly harsh after you gained some imrovement, it will only set you back to what the scar looked like when you first got it. You have to use light methods that doesnt hinder that top layer of skin or collagen. Picture that collagen like butter it gets easily wiped out. This happened to many on here and they became very regretful. I can think back to 5 years ago how many destroyed what collagen gains they achived with things such as the power peel microdermabrasion and even light 20% acid peels.

If you want further improvement you can use acids but dont allow any scabbing to form and forget about a microdermabrasion, it will scrape and suck any gains you achived in that one year.

A few members on here realized this years ago and it was a hot discussion back then.

For the OP just use retina A, do not try anything harsh such as lasers or peels, you will make things worse not because you have gained any collagen, but if theyre shallow scars, they will for sure change with time and as you gain some weight. Yes extra fat on the cheeks are natural fillers and will help the scars appearance.

Furthermore you dont want to add to your shallow scars, many on here have scarred from lasers and peels and can only wish they left their scars alone.

Give this scar another year before you decide on doing anything. Just use retina a daily and maybe some light acids but dont ever form scabs, so use things like 6 percent or 10 percent, enough to be red but never to bleed or scab.

Thank you for the great advice S500. What type of acids would you recommend? And what do you think about the apple cider vinegar treatment? I've read that I shouldn't start it for another 6 months since I've just finished accutane.

May I please ask... regarding the scab.. do you refer to those THICK & HARD scabs we form like when we fall down etc..?

Not the thin, dead skin like scab which just needs light exfoliation to remove right?

so then wouldnt it be right to start remodeling scars with strong methods, then use light methods to maintain and such?

If the Retin-A / Pernox combo is a bad idea, then my skin doesn't know it. Really excellent results. I'm sticking with it.

Pernox does not form a scab. It barely even turns the skin pink. And yet the stuff is amazing.

Edited by Robert