Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So last night, I was watching the videos that DK has on the site and my boyfriend started laughing at me. He said he thought it was stupid that I let my skin affect the way I feel. The only thing I said to him was "It's not funny and please don't laugh at me." And get this...HE GOT MAD AT ME!! He told me that it's making HIM angry that I'm always worrying about my skin and how I look. I can understand him being concerned about my low self-esteem, but he was ANGRY?! He pretty much told me that all the effort I use to take care of my skin is pointless and people who have low self-esteem problems should just say "Fuck it."

It just made me even more down on myself. GRRRRRRRR :wall:

Cut him loose, you deserve better!! Very single minded and arrogant. People never realise how psychological issues are equally, maybe even more important than physical ailments. People who have a broken leg get lots of sympathy; yet depression, lack of confidence etc... get mocked.

Very superficial world we live in.

If he can't support you and be more understanding about how you feel about your skin and support the fact that you are only trying to learn how to take care of your skin, then you need to really think about whether he should be in your life. Your boyfriend should always be your best friend and the first person you come to with problems or if you need to talk. He should be supporting you and helping you out.

Don't let him turn the situation around on you and make you feel bad for sticking up for yourself. You can try to talk it out with him, but definitely don't take his crap.

Thanks for your replies everyone. I know he means well, and I know he just wants me to be happy, I just don't think he went about it the right way. I still love him and I'll always love him :]

Thanks for all the great advice guys! I just signed up yesterday and am already LOVING this site!

LOL i could feel the indignation and incredulity rising from your post and for some reason I found it pretty funny.

Not laughing at your situation tho so pls dun be offended. But yea I agree with Timko. Your bf, insensitive as he may be, is godsend for acne sufferers haha,

Haha I'll never leave him, and I do think it's great that he doesn't care about my acne, but like I said before, I just think he went about it the wrong way.

what a PRICK.

girls AND boys all have their hang ups.

If he was a fat ass and was concerned about it, would you get ANGRY? NO!

you'd console him to make him feel better.

this noob deserves a beating

I"m glad you realize he went about it the wrong way, he most certainly did. Hopefully now he understands that this is important to you. If not, well, I'd reevaluate some things. But it seems like you two are okay. =)

I think ditching him as other's have suggested would be a bit harsh. We all make mistakes, we all say things we don't mean, and it's clear that he doesn't quite understand your emotions. Nothing wrong with that. Maybe he went the wrong way about telling you but we can't blame anyone for not understanding. Why would he if he hasn't been through it himself? Maybe a good conversation is needed between the two of you to help him understand just what is going through your mind.

It can be frustrating when someone so close to you is overly obsessed by one thing. Acne sucks. Still, to him it's probably not that big a deal. Presumably he kisses you (and more :P) without feeling repulsed, so he doesn't care and probably can't see why you do.