Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
abovethestars

Hair not helping acne!

So, I'm on week 5 of the regimen. I'm having a hard time telling if it's working or not (deceiving red marks, etc). I think it might be, but very very slowly.

Anyhow, I'm noticing lately that the worst breakouts (those annoying big and red pimples) are forming around the hair line, or anywhere on my face where my hair might touch. So I'm figuring my hair might be the culprit!

I currently wash my hair every second day, and use fructis products.

Any recommendations on hair products (or otherwise) to get my hair to stop encouraging acne? (I know there is a big thread on hair products, but it didn't seem to specifically target this problem).

Thanks!

I found that I had less breakouts around the hairline when I stopped using products with silicone. Just like acne, everyone's hair reacts differently to cleansing with or without silicone-laced shampoos and conditioners. If you want to try it, cheapie stuff is just fine - Suave and V05.

I found that I had less breakouts around the hairline when I stopped using products with silicone. Just like acne, everyone's hair reacts differently to cleansing with or without silicone-laced shampoos and conditioners. If you want to try it, cheapie stuff is just fine - Suave and V05.

V05 ftw

Cool, thanks - I'll give that a try! Is there a way to tell which products have silicone?

Cool, thanks - I'll give that a try! Is there a way to tell which products have silicone?

Yes, in the Ingredients List (INCI) look for those which finish in -one

Edited by ItalianBoy

Maybe try a Tea Tree Oil based Shampoo and keep your hair off your face

If you look up The Long Hair Community they have lots of information that can help you.

I have Tailbone length hair with a Fringe and I regularly use deep conditioners so far with no problem it could be an ingredient reaction

At LHC they have a Water Only method you might like to try out

Edited by MedusaGorgonia

I'm with you, OP, many hair products tend to break me out. Here are some things I've discovered:

- I constantly used to get painful breakouts on my hairline. Then I realized it was because I never took care to make sure every last sud of soap was gone, and that I was leaving an invisible "border" of soap at my hairline every day. If you're not doing this already, be sure to use your fingers to gently rub your hairline of any remaining soap.

- Mousses are less likely to make me break out than creams or silicone serums, probably because they are much lighter/less greasy. I often can wear my long bangs touching my face with no extra breakouts if I've used just mousse and nothing else. I use Fructis also, I like them a lot :)

- For my own peace of mind, for daily stuff like work I often just wear styles that keep the majority of my hair out of my face. Assuming you're a girl, there are a lot of cute creative ways to do this, like the attached picture (which everyone's wearing lately haha)

Hope this helps :)

post-117034-1258857773_thumb.png

post-117034-1258857773_thumb.png

Edited by Aayla Secura

Agree with MedusaGorgonia, try something with Tea Tree. Trader Joe's Refresh (Trader Joe stores) or Giovanni Tea Tree Shampoo/Condish is amazing for my hair and doesn't bother my face (sulfate/silicone free/mostly organic, find it at Target/Wal-mart)