Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Has anyone ever had under the skin pimples/cysts that have been there for years? Like I mean YEARS, where nothing ever brought them to the surface? I am just wondering if Accutane is going to purge those or is that something I am going to need to get a procedure like subcision done for? I was going to have Fraxel done but my dermatologist told me that it's better to get Fraxel when you've got a handle on acne, because of all the care that follows that type of laser. The underneath the skin bumps on the part of my face 3 inches from nose closer to my cheekbone, are really deep. Also, I don't know if they are large pores or icepick holes next to the bumps but that part of my face is what I am the most insecure about. When I catch my reflection in certain mirrors under bright lights, I cringe.

Has anyone dealt with this?

Edited by MissNarNar

i have had a reoccuring cyst in the same spot of my cheek for my whole life. Since i was like 11. I would go away and then come back, and go away and come back again. This happened for the past 9 years. I went to the derm last week, and that was when I got my first cortizone shot on that cyst. It seems to be clearing now, but we'll see if it does for good!

omg!!yes! read my post please...i had so much and it all came out! its hellllllll

btw, how long u been on accutane? and is it bad?

Edited by Bethany1123

Duuuuuude.

As in, yes. I don't think I've had one last quite as long as a year, but these were probably the main reason I went on Accutane: they're so deeply embedded in the skin that no topical can treat them, and in fact they seem to get worse that way.

These are INCREDIBLY stubborn. My 'surface' acne cleared relatively quickly after a few months of Accutane, but these under-surface ones stayed exactly the same. The ones that went away healed in the amount of time they sometimes did before Accutane (for me, between 4-5 months), and even then it was really just a few of them.

I got more of these during my course (probably around 10 across my cheeks), and they're still there about four months later. Sometimes they seem to shrink, but a week later they've blown up to twice their size. I am really hoping that these will have gone away by the time I reach the end of my course, but I am on month six and they're still lingering.

My main worry is that I'll just keep getting these after my course.

good luck. i had lots of them and my derm injected it with some type of needle(wasnt cortizone) that went to the surface of it. its very weird???

i dont know what it is but it would bother me.

my dermo just injected some yesterday and my face is red and nasty but i rather get rid of them then wait for them to turn into a cyst.

I dont know about you but this accutane is draining me. Im very depressed and i hope it starts working.

fyi, he injected these cyst 4 months ago and they went away like nothing and didnt return(keep my fingers crossed) maybe this will help you

besides the underneath cyst hows ur skin?

Edited by Bethany1123

i have had a reoccuring cyst in the same spot of my cheek for my whole life. Since i was like 11. I would go away and then come back, and go away and come back again. This happened for the past 9 years. I went to the derm last week, and that was when I got my first cortizone shot on that cyst. It seems to be clearing now, but we'll see if it does for good!

How big was the cyst, and was it really deeply embedded? The thing is, I am not 100% sure that they are cysts. Every single dermatologist that I've went to tells me that it's acne, but won't narrow it down to what type, and every single esthetician tells me that it's deeply seeded milia. They are little white things, and some are clustered together. They can't be extracted by a facial, and most of them have been there for several months or even years. The ones that eventually work their way up to the surface, become huge cystic nodules that can't be popped and will only go away with a cortisone shot. Since being on Accutane for 23 days, they seem like they might be a little bit closer to the surface, but that might just be my hopeful imagination. Good luck with your reoccurring cyst, I hope it goes away for good!

omg!!yes! read my post please...i had so much and it all came out! its hellllllll

btw, how long u been on accutane? and is it bad?

I will read your post! It all came out as in, it pushed its way up to the surface?

I've been on Accutane for 23 days, how long were you on it? I guess I'll know all of that info when I read your stuff lol.

Milia seeds, maybe?

That's what EVERY single esthetician I've ever been to has told me. A couple have even told me (while I had at least 10 actual on the surface cysts as well as the underneath stuff) that I don't have any acne which is a real crock. Yet when I've mentioned the possibility of it being secondary milia to derms, they immediately shoot it down. Can milia turn into huge cysts once they're pushed to the surface?

Duuuuuude.

As in, yes. I don't think I've had one last quite as long as a year, but these were probably the main reason I went on Accutane: they're so deeply embedded in the skin that no topical can treat them, and in fact they seem to get worse that way.

These are INCREDIBLY stubborn. My 'surface' acne cleared relatively quickly after a few months of Accutane, but these under-surface ones stayed exactly the same. The ones that went away healed in the amount of time they sometimes did before Accutane (for me, between 4-5 months), and even then it was really just a few of them.

I got more of these during my course (probably around 10 across my cheeks), and they're still there about four months later. Sometimes they seem to shrink, but a week later they've blown up to twice their size. I am really hoping that these will have gone away by the time I reach the end of my course, but I am on month six and they're still lingering.

My main worry is that I'll just keep getting these after my course.

YES! Topicals make mine worse too! They seem to get more swollen under the skin but don't ever come to the surface. It made me really scared to read that yours stayed exactly the same because at least 60% of what I have on my face is stubborn, underneath the skin bumps.

Do you feel like the 10 across your cheeks were part of your initial breakout that might have never healed? I've heard that Accutane fails for some people, maybe they were suffering with similar acne. Have you ever tried to get these stubborn ones injected with cortisone once they blew up to twice their size? I find that if they finally make their way to the surface, which can take months or years, the shots are successful. But my dermatologist won't inject anything too deep which like I said, is most of what's on my face.

You're on month six and you haven't seen much improvement at all, or just with the deep underneath ones? How much "surface acne" did you have in comparison to the stubborn bumps?

Yes on my 2-3 month they all came out on my forehead! it was hell! i had at least 5-6 on my forehead(cyst like")

the thing is that when they were underneath my skin you couldnt really see them unless u looked close or u lift ur head to the light and you could see the bumps.

now that there all gone my forehead looks smooth but i see 1-2 . i pray they come out but small.

i also had 3-4 on my cheek. the derm did remove them and now its just irritated but i rather him get rid of them all at once. it looks alil bad since am light skined and mark easily but its turning into scabs so it should fall off soon.

Im becoming very obsessed with my skin and Im always checking to make sure that no new ones r coming in. im in month 4 but im going to be on 7 months for treatment

lets see how this goes.

btw, i looked up milia and that was what i had and they were fairly big. my derm did what they say to do to remove them lil shits. its an energy needle that removes it from the surface.

ask your derm and he can do that for you.

Edited by Bethany1123

If it's what I have tane won't get rid of them. You'll have to wait and see. They're too far to be extracted and my derm said they are not in the pore, but in the skin surrounding the pore and tane can't get to them. I've had them for 10 yrs.

If it's what I have tane won't get rid of them. You'll have to wait and see. They're too far to be extracted and my derm said they are not in the pore, but in the skin surrounding the pore and tane can't get to them. I've had them for 10 yrs.

I have had some of them for that long too...what is the solution? I am going to my derm on the 23rd and asking him if he thinks that they are in the skin surrounding the pore. Because most of what I have is underneath and I don't even know if it's worth it to take Accutane if it's not going to help the majority of what's on my face.

you couldnt really see them unless u looked close or u lift ur head to the light and you could see the bumps.

That is what most of my face is unless I am going through a bad breakout. I could sometimes take a picture and look completely clear but under a light, bumps galore.

The first week of Accutane, I had a breakout on my forehead that is just now going away, however none of the bumps from that breakout were underneath prior. These underneath f***ers won't move. I am on 30 mg right now and if my blood test comes out fine, I will be upped to 40 in a week.

Edited by MissNarNar

How big was the cyst, and was it really deeply embedded? The thing is, I am not 100% sure that they are cysts. Every single dermatologist that I've went to tells me that it's acne, but won't narrow it down to what type, and every single esthetician tells me that it's deeply seeded milia. They are little white things, and some are clustered together. They can't be extracted by a facial, and most of them have been there for several months or even years. The ones that eventually work their way up to the surface, become huge cystic nodules that can't be popped and will only go away with a cortisone shot. Since being on Accutane for 23 days, they seem like they might be a little bit closer to the surface, but that might just be my hopeful imagination. Good luck with your reoccurring cyst, I hope it goes away for good!

Yes, mine was deeply embedded. When I say it "went away" it didn't actually disappear. It just seemed to sink back into my skin so that it didn't hurt as much, but there was a still a visible bump. The cyst was fairly big when accutane brought it back to surface. About the size of my fingernail on the thumb. My derm said it look liked a cluster of cysts that were forming into one. I am pretty sure if this is what you have, accutane will bring it out. Once it's surfaced, all the way you might want to mention it to your derm and see what he think needs to be done.

I have had some of them for that long too...what is the solution? I am going to my derm on the 23rd and asking him if he thinks that they are in the skin surrounding the pore. Because most of what I have is underneath and I don't even know if it's worth it to take Accutane if it's not going to help the majority of what's on my face.

So far no derm has a solution. The only thing they can do is cut them out and that will leave scars. I'm still going to try and find a derm that has a novel idea or solution, but it seems pretty bleak.

It seems like a lot of people have this problem lately. It was rare, but more and more people are getting it. I think it can be from antibiotic resistance or acne mutating from antibiotic use, just like regular diseases mutate from overuse of antis.

I also think it could be from retin-a, which ruined my skin.

I'd stay on tane because maybe your's are something else and will go away.

fyi, I had about 5 milia(or whateva there called) on my right cheek. in the beginning of treatment

i went to the derm and told him to zap it with that needle(mind u its a very very thin needle)

he zapped them and now that side of my face have not one of them cyst! completly clear

yes it was alittle red and left a pin like mark but once accutane got in my system it dissapeared.

i wish i had him do more on my forehead so it would of not been as bad last month but what can i do.i been thru hell enough

i think asking your derm about this will help.

I also feel this could be related to heat and antibiotics cuz i got them while in florida first month on accutane. i live in mass

fyi, I had about 5 milia(or whateva there called) on my right cheek. in the beginning of treatment

i went to the derm and told him to zap it with that needle(mind u its a very very thin needle)

he zapped them and now that side of my face have not one of them cyst! completly clear

yes it was alittle red and left a pin like mark but once accutane got in my system it dissapeared.

i wish i had him do more on my forehead so it would of not been as bad last month but what can i do.i been thru hell enough

i think asking your derm about this will help.

I also feel this could be related to heat and antibiotics cuz i got them while in florida first month on accutane. i live in mass

I wish I only had 5 milia. I have atleast 50 of these little white things deeply embedded in my skin. I clean my skin well and get facials atleast 4 times a year, these can never be extracted because they're way too deep. I called my derms office yesterday and asked if they had the "energy needle" since that's what you said it was called, they don't do it. They refuse to do cortisone shots on these since they are not on the surface. If Accutane helps, I really will believe that it's a miracle drug because some of these have been living in my skin for years, I think they are what have caused most of my scarring. As for antibiotics, I had them before I took antibitoics so I doubt that is the case for me. I do think heat might have made mine a lot worse though, because everytime I went tanning or to the beach, I had atleast 10 or 15 new ones. Also, I think it has a lot to do with foundation clogging my pores, but I can't live without makeup!

Edited by MissNarNar

Em - I agree that it could be antibiotics. I really discourage people from trying these to begin with, but it sucks that most people end up on them because dermatologists refuse to prescribe Accutane otherwise. I've been on several antibiotics and my acne mutated once I tried them: I didn't get these lurkers before them.

It's pretty terrible; I don't know why they're prescribed at all. I suppose taking them for a month at a time to calm an IB from a topical med is all right, but look at what it does in the long run. I hope you're able to find something that works for you, Em.

I have taken antibiotics, but I had these f***ers way before they put me on Doryx last year. Doryx gave me the WORST breakout that I ever had during the first month and I actually started to see some improvement at the beginning of the second month but had to stop due to really bad stomach problems from it. I don't think they have gotten much worse or "mutated", they've just never improved from anything. I agree and don't like the idea of taking antibiotics for acne, the antibiotic resistance and bacterial mutation is dangerous. Accutane is not exactly a safe drug but acne is the only thing it is prescribed for. Some of these antibiotics are used to treat SERIOUS sh**, Bactrim for example, is used to treat acne and someone mentioned it also being used for HIV patients. It just doesn't seem right.

Bethany - mine aren't big enough that they can be injected, and I'm positive they aren't cysts, which I used to get frequently on my chin before Accutane.

MissNarNar - I have definitely seen good improvement in my skin, I started out with basically everything. Cysts (though not very many, about 2 at one time), whiteheads/pustules, lots of papules, clogged pores/milia-type acne, and of course those lurkers. My face was also really oily. When you look at my face now, it's smooth apart from the scarring, and some tiny pimples on my chin. I'll break out in small zits occasionally, but this is when I take my birth control irregularly, eat/drink badly, or skip my Accutane pills.

So I wouldn't say it was a bust; in fact my skin is doing pretty damn well apart from red marks and the lurkers. Do yours show up on the surface of your skin? Mine don't show up as 'bumps,' they're like reverse papules that I only know are there because I can feel them. They also tend to turn the surrounding skin red/purple after a couple months. Sometimes they have a really disgusting habit of throbbing under the skin, which they have been doing lately.

I really don't get how these things work, and they're a huge part of the reason I went on Accutane. The ones I have now were part of my IB, and they're still here now. I did start out with these before my course, and most (if not all) of those went away away after a few months on Accutane. I don't know why these ones are sticking around so long, though.

If yours aren't too big, I think Accutane *may* take care of them eventually. My progress is probably slow because I'm only on 20 mg, but if you're going to take something higher you may see faster results. I'm still going to keep going with my course in spite of these lurkers, because otherwise I am happy with the results.

Honestly, it sounds like you have the same skin as me. My skin is, well WAS, REALLY oily before the Accutane and I usually only have one or two cysts on my face, sometimes none if I get them injected. My "creepers" do not show up on the surface of my skin as bumps, but if you look under a really bright light you can see them INSIDE of my skin. They also turn my skin red/purple after a couple of months like yours, especially where there are many of them. I have rows of clustered ones (about 25) that start on my chin and go all the way down my jawline to my neck. When I stretch the skin where they are it almost looks like they are closer to the surface, but trying to extract them only makes them inflamed underneath and my face swollen. Some of mine aren't too big, but they're VERY VERY deep. Sometimes one or two will push their way up to the surface and form a big cyst which won't go away with anything but a cortisone shot. I am glad that you've seen good improvement with the Accutane. I don't think I've had an initial breakout yet so maybe that's where things start to get worse before they can get better. If that is the case then I want it to come so I can feel like this is going to work for me. How long have you been on 20 mg? I'm on 30 but hopefully being upped to 40 next week if all goes well with my test results.

Yes, mine was deeply embedded. When I say it "went away" it didn't actually disappear. It just seemed to sink back into my skin so that it didn't hurt as much, but there was a still a visible bump. The cyst was fairly big when accutane brought it back to surface. About the size of my fingernail on the thumb. My derm said it look liked a cluster of cysts that were forming into one. I am pretty sure if this is what you have, accutane will bring it out. Once it's surfaced, all the way you might want to mention it to your derm and see what he think needs to be done.

I know EXACTLY what you mean and have had the same experience with several of the bumps that made their way to the surface on my face. They would push their way out, and I'd get them injected with the cortisone and they'd shrink back into the skin but not turn into a red mark and disappear like other normal cysts do. The way you described the "cluster of cysts forming into one" sounds just like what I have on my chin and jawline. Little white cystic bumps underneath clustered together that end up coming to the surface as one big nasty cyst. I was hoping that I'd get an initial breakout this month (It's my 23rd day) and that it would be all of those little ones forming into bigger ones that could then be attacked by cortisone. I actually prefer the surface acne to the underneath stuff because for me it's treated much more easily, as this other stuff is almost impossible to treat which is why I came on the Accutane to begin with.

So far no derm has a solution. The only thing they can do is cut them out and that will leave scars. I'm still going to try and find a derm that has a novel idea or solution, but it seems pretty bleak.

It seems like a lot of people have this problem lately. It was rare, but more and more people are getting it. I think it can be from antibiotic resistance or acne mutating from antibiotic use, just like regular diseases mutate from overuse of antis.

I also think it could be from retin-a, which ruined my skin.

I'd stay on tane because maybe your's are something else and will go away.

I don't know. Reading that your derm said it is not in the pore but instead in the skin around the pore, kind of sounds like how mine look, especially because the ones on my face look like they have made the surrounding pores swollen or caused ice pick scars. Those have been there for years though, before my antibiotic use..so I have no idea what they're from. Atleast 5-10 have been there for 10 yrs. I only have one scar that's not an icepick, and it's from a regular cyst that I popped. Every other scar is an icepick and it's from these things. How did Retin-A ruin your skin by the way? Because I've never used it but was thinking of trying it as my post Accutane topical.

MISSNARNAR:

that sucks that ur derm doesnt have that needle. its also used to remove warts i believe.

Well, like I said before. I had so many on my forehead and last month it exploded. well now it looks sooo much better. i can actually see smooth skin on my forehead but im starting to notice them lil cyst(4-5) coming back??? I dont know if im peranoid or what but i see tiny ones. unlike before, these are really really small. but because im a weirdo and look at every inch of my face i notice that there not as big as they were before. I pray that it stays like that and doesnt produse more cuz ill be very devistated with my skin and with accutane. =(

Im hoping accutane starts clearing up fast cuz im not sure whats worse,acne, marks, or milia???

Im wondering if birth control has anything to do with it or the lotion i use. I also use neutrogena

(the one u use). or maybe its the clindamycin??? I dont know. i feel after using something for a long time ur body starts to fight it in differnt ways. i wish i can the answer.

on tuesday i removed about 4 and its just starting to get better and scab. ughhhhhhhhhh!

god knows i need patient cuz i cant take it. This accutane better work! :snooty:

MISSNARNAR:

that sucks that ur derm doesnt have that needle. its also used to remove warts i believe.

Well, like I said before. I had so many on my forehead and last month it exploded. well now it looks sooo much better. i can actually see smooth skin on my forehead but im starting to notice them lil cyst(4-5) coming back??? I dont know if im peranoid or what but i see tiny ones. unlike before, these are really really small. but because im a weirdo and look at every inch of my face i notice that there not as big as they were before. I pray that it stays like that and doesnt produse more cuz ill be very devistated with my skin and with accutane. =(

Im hoping accutane starts clearing up fast cuz im not sure whats worse,acne, marks, or milia???

Im wondering if birth control has anything to do with it or the lotion i use. I also use neutrogena

(the one u use). or maybe its the clindamycin??? I dont know. i feel after using something for a long time ur body starts to fight it in differnt ways. i wish i can the answer.

on tuesday i removed about 4 and its just starting to get better and scab. ughhhhhhhhhh!

god knows i need patient cuz i cant take it. This accutane better work! :snooty:

I would take small cysts over big ones any day! I don't think that you're a weirdo for looking at every inch of your face, trust me I'm sure that plenty of us know more details of our face than most clear skinned people. You're using clindamycin? Topical or oral? Or do you mean before the Accutane? I wish my doctor had this needle that you're talking about but I guess I will have to settle for good old cortisone haha. I have an appointment tomorrow to up my dosage to 40..I hope I begin to see some kind of improvement because today was day 27 and the only difference in my skin is the oil reduction, which I would be more happy about if it weren't for the extreme dry and itchiness.

I feel the same way. I need to be patient..but it's SO hard when you're taking such a risky medicine, you just want it to work so you feel better about your decision.