Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MissNarNar

Wrinkles or lines on face from Accutane

I definitely jinxed myself a few days ago by saying that my face wasn't that dry. Currently it's so tight that it looks like I have wrinkles all over my face including deep lines next to my already prominent smile lines. It doesn't matter how much moisturizer I put on, my face is drinking it. When I smile the lines are really noticeable. Is this just due to the lack of moisture?

Edited by MissNarNar

I'm in the same boat as you. I swear that since I have started accutane, fine lines have started showing up on my face. I'm only 23, and I am freaking out! I have never sun worshipped, don't smoke, rarely drink , etc.

Now I find myself examining other women my age to see if they have fine lines!

Please, someone assure us that it is just a short term side effect!

I would think it would be short term, I never noticed lines when I was on it. When your skin natural oils come back once your done the medication they should go away. Until then moisturize, moisturize, moisturize.

I am 31 and I find that roaccutane has had the opposite effect: it smoothened out some fine lines and wrinkles that were already there. I have naturally very, very oily skin though. I hardly had to moisturize my face for the first six months on roaccutane (I started on a low dose and gradually increased) and even now, on 60mg a day, I only moisturize in the morning.

I'm in the same boat as you. I swear that since I have started accutane, fine lines have started showing up on my face. I'm only 23, and I am freaking out! I have never sun worshipped, don't smoke, rarely drink , etc.

Now I find myself examining other women my age to see if they have fine lines!

Please, someone assure us that it is just a short term side effect!

I'm freaking out too, I'm 24 and have enough skin issues to deal with! I was thinking about how people say that if you have oily skin you will age better, and that people with dry skin are more prone to wrinkling earlier in life. So maybe those who got permanent wrinkles, never went back to having oily skin. I know that permanent dryness is a side effect of Accutane but I am hoping that mine is temporary. I had SUPER SUPER oily skin before I started so I'm hopeful that atleast a little bit of it will return, enough to smooth these ugly lines!

I am 31 and I find that roaccutane has had the opposite effect: it smoothened out some fine lines and wrinkles that were already there. I have naturally very, very oily skin though. I hardly had to moisturize my face for the first six months on roaccutane (I started on a low dose and gradually increased) and even now, on 60mg a day, I only moisturize in the morning.

You're very lucky. How long have you been on Accutane and have you found it to be very helpful for the acne as well as the oil reduction? My skin was REALLY REALLY oily before I started which was only 3 weeks ago. I would have to use oil blotter sheets atleast 8-10 times a day, which is pretty gross. I never felt clean. My face isn't peeling or flaking, but it's tight and has no moisture what so ever, even after I slather stuff on. I don't know if I'd trade these lines for the oily skin, neither are pleasant, but I'm too young to have wrinkles and I'm wondering if I'll end up using anti-aging creams in lieu of acne products. Have you experienced any side effects?

I would think it would be short term, I never noticed lines when I was on it. When your skin natural oils come back once your done the medication they should go away. Until then moisturize, moisturize, moisturize.

I'm hoping it is, these lines are VERY noticeable. Moisturizing hasn't helped, it looks like I have smile lines on top of my smile lines. I don't like having oily skin but a little bit wouldn't hurt at this moment in time lol.

Accutane reduces wrinkles/fine lines because it increase cell turnover. But it can also resulted in skin thinning and dehydrated skin due to over exfoliation and in turn develop wrinkles and fine lines.