Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi there guys, I haven't posted for a while, but I'm so unbelievably frustrated today so I needed somewhere to vent.

Today, I had my long awaited (13 weeks) appointment with a dermatologist on the NHS. I was so happy that finally someone would do something about my acne.

So I went to the hospital, and I waited.... and a student doctor came and started asking me loads of questions about my acne, when it started (9 years ago) what treatments I'd had (just about everything under the sun) and all the usual questions. He was about my age, and I don't know if anyone else would feel this way, but divulging all the information about a condition which I find somewhat embarassing to a reasonably attractive student doctor who was my age felt so humiliating. But more than that, it was quite obvious that I made HIM feel uncomfortable because he was shaking! But anyway, my beef was not really with the student doctor, but more with what happened after the dermatologist came in....

I study a long way from home, and my appointment was at home, so to get there I'd had to spend 4 hours travelling on the train, miss lectures, and pay out about £50, which is no small sum for a student! When I got there she said that she wanted to give me the maximum dosage, but I'd need to be closely monitered, so I'd have to go in every month. I said that wasn't exactly convenient for me, living so far away most of the time for my studies. She said that I'd have to start up at university then! Which means - more waiting. Additionally, she said I'd HAVE to go on the pill AND use a condom. The pill has messed up my body SO much. Why can she not credit me with the sense not to get pregnant? My bf isn't even in the country, and I'm not about to start sleeping with anyone else. The LAST thing I want to do is get pregnant, so why does she have to control it??? ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MDKFOJSp*IOKLJN, MGviN[okiqfjnemc['opqmkjc#;pkdniwrhg9ou[hgbijb

That was me mashing my keyboard.

So annoyed! All I want is for this to be over with! :wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::doh:

Hi there.

I can totally understand your frustration. In fact, much the same happened to me. After years and years of trying to solve my acne problem, I finally got referred to a dermatologist back in the UK who wanted to put me straight onto roaccutane, but I was moving to Canada in two months' time so she said she couldn't even start me on the course and that I'd have to do it once I got to Canada. Fair enough, and I'll spare you the line about having to pay for the drug in other countries, but when I eventually got to see a derm in Canada, they said the same thing about having to be on two forms of contraception and doing regular blood tests. Even though I think it's absurd, just as you do, I understand that there's not much the derm can do about that requirement. My doctor at the time, however, did say that if I spoke to the derm about my concerns of going on contraception (I'm 24, consider myself responsible, can't take the combined pill because of migraines, have been messed around by other forms of hormonal contraception and absolutely hate the thought of an IUD), he may well allow for me to go ahead with the treatment without it. In the end, however, I opted to just go on the mini pill because I do have a boyfriend and it's probably best to use more effective contraception than just condoms anyway. But if it wasn't for that reason, there is no way I'd have wanted to take the pill or use any of the other methods I mentioned above. I'd have just lied to the derm and said yes, I started taking contraception and yes, I use condoms. When I finally got my accutane prescription, the derm asked me what type of pill I was on, and I told him, but he didn't ask to see my pill pack or anything, so I could've easily lied. Some people may be revolted by my inclination to lie, but I personally believe it's my right to have access to this drug in order to treat my ailment, and birth control is an entirely unrelated matter, especially when it comes to my body and the level of responsibility I know I possess.

Sorry about the longwinded response, but I guess the message here is discuss your concerns with the derm or just tell him/her what they want to hear.

Oh, and is it not possible for you to do the monthly bloodwork where you study and for that lab to send the results to your derm? I thought that's what they did anyway, seeing as I can get my bloodwork done in various labs around the city and the results always get sent to my derm. If not, then yeah, you may have to wait. I'm sure everything will be all over with before you know it though. Good luck.

Hi there guys, I haven't posted for a while, but I'm so unbelievably frustrated today so I needed somewhere to vent.

Today, I had my long awaited (13 weeks) appointment with a dermatologist on the NHS. I was so happy that finally someone would do something about my acne.

So I went to the hospital, and I waited.... and a student doctor came and started asking me loads of questions about my acne, when it started (9 years ago) what treatments I'd had (just about everything under the sun) and all the usual questions. He was about my age, and I don't know if anyone else would feel this way, but divulging all the information about a condition which I find somewhat embarassing to a reasonably attractive student doctor who was my age felt so humiliating. But more than that, it was quite obvious that I made HIM feel uncomfortable because he was shaking! But anyway, my beef was not really with the student doctor, but more with what happened after the dermatologist came in....

I study a long way from home, and my appointment was at home, so to get there I'd had to spend 4 hours travelling on the train, miss lectures, and pay out about £50, which is no small sum for a student! When I got there she said that she wanted to give me the maximum dosage, but I'd need to be closely monitered, so I'd have to go in every month. I said that wasn't exactly convenient for me, living so far away most of the time for my studies. She said that I'd have to start up at university then! Which means - more waiting. Additionally, she said I'd HAVE to go on the pill AND use a condom. The pill has messed up my body SO much. Why can she not credit me with the sense not to get pregnant? My bf isn't even in the country, and I'm not about to start sleeping with anyone else. The LAST thing I want to do is get pregnant, so why does she have to control it??? ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MDKFOJSp*IOKLJN, MGviN[okiqfjnemc['opqmkjc#;pkdniwrhg9ou[hgbijb

That was me mashing my keyboard.

So annoyed! All I want is for this to be over with! :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :doh:

I hate it when people dont respect your level of responsibility for yourself in a way that could negatively affect your health.

I feel like the woman in this generation are being herded like cattle into taking the pill in a form of fake voluntary population control

I had a nurse try to argue with me that I should be on the pill, I am fine with condoms thankyou - I explained that the pill changed who I was on a personality level.... she then tried to disapprovingly talk me into having the coil even though i told her my mother was damaged internally by the coil and I was happy using condoms. They make you sign that thing that says you will get an abortion so why force you on the pill, also knowing what coming off of the pill can do to your skin!!

sorry rant over but... rah! :snooty:

I am not on accutane btw

Edited by crystal_willow

I'm assuming she put you on Accutane, because you mentioned birth control.

I don't know how it is in the UK, but I'm assuming they monitor you guys similarly. Everyone on Accutane is required to see their dermatologist monthly so the script can be renewed - the doctor has to examine you, have a negative pregnancy test, and put the prescription in your hand so you can pick it up. Accutane is a notoriously difficult drug to get, and to my knowledge the NHS will pay for it.

There are a lot of people in the States who are paying either hundreds of USD/month for health insurance (which you guys basically get for free), or hundreds of dollars out of pocket for consultation fees, bloodwork, pregnancy tests, birth control AND Accutane. A number of them have also waited as long as you have to see a competent dermatologist.

If you want to be on Accutane, there's a lot of red tape you'll have to put up with. Consider yourself lucky - you have a prescription for a drug doctors are very hesitant to prescribe, and you won't have to pay out your bum for it. It's once a month, and it's worth the sacrifice if you want your skin to improve.

Sorry but I would like to point out that the NHS is funded by taxpayers money :think: , we pay increased taxes to have the NHS. The money doesnt magically appear - anyone working has paid for it and anyone who will work will be paying for their lifelong treatment soon, whether or not they require healthcare.