Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I just started the Regimen yesterday. I thought I'd give it a try. When I woke up this morning I found that my face looked a little better! So I have a good feeling about this. As a cleanser I use Spectro Gel for blemish-prone skin. It's fragrance-free and non-irritating... I find it works very well. It's rather expensive though. I went to the dermatologist a while ago and he prescribed a gel that has 1% clindamycin and 5% benzoyl peroxide. Before when I used benzoyl peroxide I didn't rub it into my skin... I just set it on top of my skin (yeah, that's stupid of me, I know). The moisturizer I used was Jergens... it's fragrance-free and has a blend of vitamin C, vitamin E, and vitamin B5. It doesn't say anywhere that it's non-comedogenic but I think it's still fine... it says it's dermatologist-tested so that's good enough for me.

I have a very, very pale complexion and I'm hoping if I keep at it all my redness and scars will fade. So I was just wondering... if my face does indeed clear up... but I'm still left with all those ugly red scars... would tanning even out my skin tone? Is it all right to tan while you're on the Regimen? I've never tanned before in my life, except when I was a kid. I like my pale skin, I just don't like my scars.

Jenny,

Please don't resort to tanning beds to fade your scars. More and more research is linking them to cancer. I used to work for a tanning salon and was brain-washed into believing their false claims. 20/20 is actually going to air a story about this subject sometime in December.

That said, using freshly squeezed lime or lemon juice is a terrific way to fade those scars - safely. Check out the reviews for lemon juice on this site.

Best of luck to you.

It might. Depends on the cleanser.

Cetaphil. Non-comedogenic. pH balanced. Non-irritating. But it has different ingredients than Spectro.

Cetaphil is on our list of recommended cleanser, so it's usually fine to use. However, I didn't particularly like Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser. My skin is super oily and it just did not get my face clean. Left a residue.

Here's some info on red marks. http://www.acne.org/faq.html#redmarks

and

http://www.acne.org/ethnic-skin-and-acne.html

I've found AHA helps with the red marks by speeding up the skin turnover process, but really you've just got to wait those out. The main thing is to stop the acne. One bright red active zit in the middle of your face is way more noticeable than some red marks on your cheeks. Once the acne is at bay, then you just let the months roll by and don't think about the red marks or obsess about them, and one day you'll look in the mirror and realize they have faded tremendously. Later on they'll go away completely and you won't even remember what they looked like. Marks are not scars, they will go away even if it seems like they won't.

As for tanning, I've never understood it. Personally I don't think a girl can be too pale unless she's an albino. Girls are supposed to be paler. It's an evolutionary thing, has to do with a greater need for vitamin D. The trade-off is that women are thus more susceptible to skin cancer and aging than men. The most important point is that a tanning bed has been classified in the highest level of carcinogens. Even if those people don't get cancer, they still end up with horribly crinkly skin by the time they're 40 that makes them look 60.

Bare in mind BP is going to make red marks fade quickly in all likelihood,i wouldn't worry too much a lot of people seem to balance this out with AHA. And yeah, tanning is dangerous, just like sun on the regimen (it's the same concept- BP and AHA increase photosensitivity), if anything you want sunscreen to protect you from it. Just take note not to start AHA til at least a month in - read what dan says on it. But this is all second-hand information btw :P