Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
janem

Accutane and Teeth

I have gone 25 years w/out a single cavity. I'm on my last week of accutane and have noticed some teeth sensitivity. Has anyone had problems with cavities from accutane or are teeth just more sensitive during the treatment? Should this go away when I'm done?

Granted, I ended up drinking a lot of red bull (like 1 a day) on accutane because I was so tired, but I'd be suprised if 3 months of that ruined my teeth that fast.

Uhm, I read posts elesewhere of people having lots of cavities and teeth breaking off while on and shortly after accutane.

Could be possible since it drys out everything like your mouth....Which can result in more bacteria in your mouth and teeth to rot.....teeth breaking could happen due to bone loss can happen anywhere (hence teeth also) and accutane is known to deplete certian Vit D levels, and cause bone problems.

Just a thought....There are things if your mouth is dry and maybe lay off the red bull......

I hate to admit this (for some reason that makes it real.. ha!), but I've been having a little sensitivity. Like a dull ache in some teeth. I know I don't have any cavities because I just went to the dentist a week ago. I'm hoping that maybe the sensitivity is just from the prodding/cleaning I had last week.

I'm not sure what to do about it. I suppose you could get a bone density test from your doc b/c if you're losing bone, you're definitely losing it in your mouth too. I talked to my dentist about it and he said he'd never heard of anyone having any sort of lasting sensitivity or dental problems from Accutane and just to pay attention and see if it gets more frequent and stronger.

Since you're at the end of your treatment, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just take good care of your teeth (you obviously already do!). I'm sure you'll be fine. I would definitely lay off of the Red Bull if you can. All that sugar is horrible for your teeth anyway. I'm trying to abstain from soda for the same reason.

Good luck!

oli girl, I know you are really against accutane. Seem like one of those glass-half-empty people, but do you think like this in every aspect of your life? When you get into a car do you tell the other passengers, this is the most dangerous way to travel. X% of people die each year in a car. Do you get out of the car when you are halfway to your destination because it is safer to walk? Cause that is how you view accutane, and I'm not talking about this post specifically, just in general. Before you tell me, I know accutane is a serious drug with serious side effects and ramifications to one's health. You don't need to lecture me either about the dangers or provide me with any link telling me accutane may make my pubic hair turn green or that I could grow a third nipple.

I have gone 25 years w/out a single cavity. I'm on my last week of accutane and have noticed some teeth sensitivity. Has anyone had problems with cavities from accutane or are teeth just more sensitive during the treatment? Should this go away when I'm done?

Granted, I ended up drinking a lot of red bull (like 1 a day) on accutane because I was so tired, but I'd be suprised if 3 months of that ruined my teeth that fast.

I also have the same problem as you. I never thought that accutane wouldve lead to it, but since i read this, it could be true, or just a coincidence.

It probably is the case coz accutane causes bones to weaken

So, I gave up the red bull and limited my sugar and the sensitivity has definatley subsided. Hopefully nothing permanent was done!