Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shadow Yoshi

Green vegetables are making me break out, but why?

A little over a week ago, I started eating a sufficient amount of green vegetables daily. Prior to that, my diet was very deficient in green vegetables, albeit otherwise my diet was fairly healthy. The addition to green vegetables was the only modification I have made towards what I'm eating, and yet since I've begun consuming these new foods my skin has worsened. I am doubtful that these wholesome veggies would be causing damage to my skin, which has resulted in myself pondering why I would be breaking out over eating such nutritious foods. Can anyone care to explain why this problem is occurring? I'm quite perplexed here so any help would be appreciated.

A little over a week ago, I started eating a sufficient amount of green vegetables daily. Prior to that, my diet was very deficient in green vegetables, albeit otherwise my diet was fairly healthy. The addition to green vegetables was the only modification I have made towards what I'm eating, and yet since I've begun consuming these new foods my skin has worsened. I am doubtful that these wholesome veggies would be causing damage to my skin, which has resulted in myself pondering why I would be breaking out over eating such nutritious foods. Can anyone care to explain why this problem is occurring? I'm quite perplexed here so any help would be appreciated.

Are you sure is the green vegetable?

It could be something else :)

your system is just detoxifying and pushing the spots out trust me

keep eating the veg

can you tell me are you eating spinach or kelp or something like that?

Your perplexification is based on the assumption that you changed nothing else in your diet (do you actually keep a food diary?) and that acne depends only on diet.

Are you gaining weight? Because you claim your only change was to add green vegetables, you're implicitly claiming those vegetables did not displace anything else, so presumably you're now getting more calories than before (which of course represents another change in your diet). Did the vegetables, in fact, displace something else, like meat?

Have you changed:

• # of hours of outdoor light exposure per day?
  • the regularity of your bedtime?
  • the # of hours you sleep?
  • your caffeine intake?
  • your drug/alchohol intake?
  • the productiveness of your sleep? (are you waking up less rested than before?)

I agree with both posts above. In addition, are any of the green veggies sea veggies. Sea veggies can be high in iodine and some people can breakout from too much iodine.

I don't understand why people are so quick to rule out vegetables as a possible cause for acne. Maybe the reason that little kids (and most people in general) despise the taste of vegetables like broccoli,lettuce etc. is because our bodies have some sort of defense mechanism to prevent us from eating these types of foods. If you think about it, these aren't very efficient sources of calories since you would have to eat mounds and mounds of them to meet your daily requirements and you'd probably overload your digestive system with all that insoluble fiber and be to full to eat enough anyway. I remember reading some posts from Glennart (who went from having bad acne to 0 acne w/no scarring) that when he cut out green vegetables from his diet his skin and digestion improved immensely. Granted that's just one example, but it could be a trigger for some people.

I don't understand why people are so quick to rule out vegetables as a possible cause for acne. Maybe the reason that little kids (and most people in general) despise the taste of vegetables like broccoli,lettuce etc. is because our bodies have some sort of defense mechanism to prevent us from eating these types of foods. If you think about it, these aren't very efficient sources of calories since you would have to eat mounds and mounds of them to meet your daily requirements and you'd probably overload your digestive system with all that insoluble fiber and be to full to eat enough anyway. I remember reading some posts from Glennart (who went from having bad acne to 0 acne w/no scarring) that when he cut out green vegetables from his diet his skin and digestion improved immensely. Granted that's just one example, but it could be a trigger for some people.

You have got to be kidding me. It would be idiotic to cut out green vegetables from your diet. Also, what defense mechanism are you talking about? A child's taste buds are much much stronger than an adults. Also, haven't you noticed kids only seem to like food that is bad for you such as ice cream, chicken fingers, and hamburgers. Does that mean that those foods are actually good for us? Your claim makes no sense at all.

I don't understand why people are so quick to rule out vegetables as a possible cause for acne.

I'm quick to rule them out because I currently believe the mechanism for acne is the excess of superoxide anions produced when the P. acnes bacteria hits the keratinocyte. Since I know of no way that eating low-fructose vegetables can decrease the amount of anti-oxidants in the skin relevant to superoxide anions, I deem that very unlikely.

Keep eating the green vegetable... if you keep breaking out then cut it and see if you don't break out anymore... if you still break out, it wasn't the vegetable. &_&

Edited by EddieE